PDA

View Full Version : US Open Commentary

YoungBoy
19th June 2021, 09:33 AM
How awful is the commentary from the Aussie and the American from the studio here in Oz?

Not the experience needed, Fox sports.

Captain Nemo
19th June 2021, 10:00 AM
No use whinging on here, send them a tweet or jump on insta etc and give them a gob full.

YoungBoy
19th June 2021, 11:08 AM
No use whinging on here, send them a tweet or jump on insta etc and give them a gob full.Agree Captain.

Captain Nemo
19th June 2021, 11:10 AM
Luke Elvy isn’t it, he’s a dope.

Captain Nemo
19th June 2021, 11:11 AM
I’m not even watching it, so boring.
Watching the nba playoffs and sky thoroughbred preview instead!

PerryGroves
19th June 2021, 11:12 AM
You would prefer the master of banality Jim Nantz or that gibberer Paul Azinger........OK

I thing Luke's doing a good job, Ned Michaels has played on the European Tour, anything rather than the rah, rah, rah from the seppos.

Captain Nemo
19th June 2021, 11:13 AM
I suppose it’s better than that dope Johnny Miller,

Ron Burgundy
19th June 2021, 11:17 AM
I’d rather have the on course mics turned up and no commentary at all.

Captain Nemo
19th June 2021, 11:18 AM
Yep I’d go with that!

YoungBoy
19th June 2021, 11:50 AM
👍🏼

jimandr
19th June 2021, 04:27 PM
They aren't in a studio in Australia. It is the 'world feed' designed for non-US markets.

Luke Elvy has been in the US for some time, and often gets a start in events covered by Golf Channel. He was doing a featured group channel on the Masters.

I didn't mind the commentary though. We all have different tastes, and there is always the option of the mute button.

Webster
19th June 2021, 05:53 PM
I thing Luke's doing a good job

Elvy is dreadful. The absolute worst. Terrible .

Steve57
19th June 2021, 06:17 PM
Elvy is dreadful. The absolute worst. Terrible . Worse than Radar?

dee cee
19th June 2021, 07:04 PM
I like Luke’s commentary. Seems to have a very in-depth knowledge of stats and alike.

I haaaaattteee Radar and don’t think he’s a good human being…

Dcanto
19th June 2021, 08:17 PM
Worse than Radar? It took me a while but eventually I warmed up to Radar. At least he has played and won at a high level so he can speak with a level of authority. Elvy on the other hand sounds like he's trying too hard.

YoungBoy
19th June 2021, 11:03 PM
They aren't in a studio in Australia. It is the 'world feed' designed for non-US markets.Luke Elvy has been in the US for some time, and often gets a start in events covered by Golf Channel. He was doing a featured group channel on the Masters.I didn't mind the commentary though. We all have different tastes, and there is always the option of the mute button.True that.

Daves
20th June 2021, 06:54 AM
It took me a while but eventually I warmed up to Radar. At least he has played and won at a high level so he can speak with a level of authority. Elvy on the other hand sounds like he's trying too hard.

x 2.

Scottt
20th June 2021, 07:32 PM
They aren't in a studio in Australia. It is the 'world feed' designed for non-US markets.Luke Elvy has been in the US for some time, and often gets a start in events covered by Golf Channel. He was doing a featured group channel on the Masters.I didn't mind the commentary though. We all have different tastes, and there is always the option of the mute button. At the Masters he confidently declared during the third round that Justin Rose was struggling because he was shook by the death of Prince Philip. With a straight face. He’s a f***king gibberer.

Webster
20th June 2021, 09:57 PM
It took me a while but eventually I warmed up to Radar. At least he has played and won at a high level so he can speak with a level of authority. Elvy on the other hand sounds like he's trying too hard.

Radar is different gravy, not really my taste, but I can put up with his dribbling for the occasional rare gem. However, if he has mixed with alcohol in any way, shape or form, he is to be avoided like the plague, he in genuinely one of the worst drunks of all time.

AndyP
20th June 2021, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard Elvy refer to players having to "really golf their way" around a set of holes at one tournament.

Rodent
21st June 2021, 05:46 PM
Elvy is embarrassing. Once said Greg Chalmers nickname was Snake because he holes long putts. Fair dinkum.

dannycallaz
23rd June 2021, 05:16 AM
Elvy is embarrassing. Once said Greg Chalmers nickname was Snake because he holes long putts. Fair dinkum. Hahaha.Not a fan of Elvy he says some weird stuff.Radar is ok. But **** me can Faldo stop breathing into his microphone!!!

markTHEblake
23rd June 2021, 12:24 PM
I dont mind him so much except that i like playing golf on the xbox and he does the commentary there too, and its just too much.

Interesting though the US open commentary keeps switching back and forth between Elvy and the Americans. Seems to be too often for it to be the USA ad breaks

meh
24th June 2021, 11:43 AM
Elvey is beyond awful.

PerryGroves
24th June 2021, 11:53 AM
Interesting though the US open commentary keeps switching back and forth between Elvy and the Americans. Seems to be too often for it to be the USA ad breaks

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/3217818175/ded21432c184ca197286ffa6111cce80_normal.jpeg (https://twitter.com/WarrenSmithFOX)
Warren Smith
@WarrenSmithFOX
(https://twitter.com/WarrenSmithFOX)
Turns out there were 52 commercial breaks over the final 8 hours of coverage during Rd 1 of the US Open on NBC in the US.If you average the breaks out at 3.5 minutes each it equates to 3 hours of air-time to be filled by the USGA world feed.

Thank goodness for @foxtel (https://twitter.com/Foxtel) in Oz.

pt73
24th June 2021, 02:03 PM
Thank goodness that Augusta National's TV contract with CBS mandates that commercials be limited to two minutes per half hour.

It's been that way since 1966.

Mike Clayton
26th June 2021, 06:49 PM
Frank Hannigan is always worth a read.

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2013/9/10/letter-from-saugerties-usga-fox-sports-deal.html

Dcanto
26th June 2021, 09:22 PM
Interesting read. I recently re-read 'Open' by John Feinstein. I find the background to the USGA bringing the US Open to Bethpage Black very interesting

From the tone of Frank Hannigan's piece it seems that the USGA is now being run by corporate types rather than people passionate about golf.

pt73
27th June 2021, 09:53 AM
Interesting read. I recently re-read 'Open' by John Feinstein. I find the background to the USGA bringing the US Open to Bethpage Black very interesting

From the tone of Frank Hannigan's piece it seems that the USGA is now being run by corporate types rather than people passionate about golf.
Luckily either the USGA or Fox concluded that Fox’s coverage of US Opens were soo bad that the contract needed to be cancelled and taken up by a network who knew what they were doing.

Closer to home, the shambolic administration at Golf Australia is more of a concern with them overspending their budget by millions multiple years in a row, making mindless decisions like the changes to the Australian Amateur and the One Golf concept taking the funding from some state associations has been a disaster with most of the state associations involved wanting it cancelled.

Ron Burgundy
27th June 2021, 10:40 AM
Other than their first year at Chambers the fox coverage was the best thing to happen to televised golf in living memory. We should be grateful to them for forcing more innovation through in a few years than the the other networks combined have in decades. NBC and CBS have zero interest in presenting a quality golf product to the viewer and only exist to push as many ads as possible. The week to week PGA tour is excruciatingly unwatchable, as was the this years US Open.

Fox elected to give up the rights and keep paying the lions share of the contract just to get out of it so they could focus back on showing NFL last year when the COVID schedule reshuffle had it clashing. With Fox out they win because they lose less money, the USGA wins because they keep their money and NBC wins because they get the broadcast back at a cheaper rate. The only loser is all of us, the viewers, because the viewing product is now back to being shite.