PDA

View Full Version : Most Forgiving Fairway Wood

Pinglauncher
23rd September 2006, 09:39 AM
I am slowly working my bag into a forgiving and appropriate combination for my ability. Hence the move to a higher lofted driver, hybrids and even graphite shafts in the irons to help overcome some injury problems.

Many thanks to 3oneday and kwantfm for the gentle nudges in these directions.

So to the main question, what is the best fairway wood out there at the moment for a mid capper.

I want to play something in the 16* - 18* range that is both easy to hit off the deck and the tee. Preference is a squarish face.

Is it Ping G5, Callaway X, Taylor Made or something else entirely.

Jarro
23rd September 2006, 10:31 AM
TaylorMade 200 steel's are pretty awesome fairway woods.

Should be able to get them pretty cheap too at the moment.

kwantfm
23rd September 2006, 10:35 AM
How about something new and shiny like an Adams RPM Tour LP?

Pinglauncher
23rd September 2006, 11:25 AM
How about something new and shiny like an Adams RPM Tour LP?

Something tells me any club that has "TOUR" in its name may not be the most forgiving club but I must admit the couple of Adams clubs Ihave hit in the past have been pretty good.

3oneday
23rd September 2006, 01:30 PM
The new Adams hybrid, whilst ugly, goes good. Has a VS Proto in it too 8)

kwantfm
23rd September 2006, 01:36 PM

Ugly???

Pinglauncher
23rd September 2006, 01:57 PM

Pity their fairways don't have the VS Proto. I really like the feel of this shaft.

I think the hybrids look pretty good.

Pinglauncher
23rd September 2006, 02:05 PM
Probably should have kept my old Adams Ovation and reshafted it. Gee that was easy to hit off the deck. A little harder off the tee though.

McMw
23rd September 2006, 03:16 PM
cleveland halo....works a treat...I hit the 16º as far as I would with the corresponding 4wood...so a 14º would be just SWEET!!!

Courty
23rd September 2006, 10:13 PM
I hit a Callaway Fusion 3-wood not long ago and it was sweeeet.

PeteyD
24th September 2006, 05:47 AM
Being a fairly major chopper, I picked up a set of TM 580 Fairways (3,5,7) and foung them to be very forgiving. Reasonably long and straight. Only mishits are when I top them.

BrisVegas
24th September 2006, 11:16 AM
Anything Callaway is usually easy to hit. I can't keep up with the model names. Even the really old Callaway stuff is dead easy to use.

billybaub
24th September 2006, 10:39 PM
what has happened to the bridgestone brotherhood?

ive got a j33 wood in my bag. most reliable wood ive ever come across. just easy to use.

3oneday
25th September 2006, 06:57 AM
ive got a j33 wood in my bag. most reliable wood ive ever come across.probably too small for a chopper billy ;)

I think anything ti holds the right amount of forgiveness, the bigger the better I reckon.

Pete

Grunt
25th September 2006, 06:58 AM
I must admit my Adams GT fairway woods are great, easy to hit off the deck and solid off the Tee. Only reason I don't still have the 3 wood in the bag was so I had a stronger backup driver for the long par 4's where driver was not the smart club to use off the tee.

3oneday
30th September 2006, 07:04 PM
Ugly???they don't look pretty but are pretty effective. I am hitting a 14° Rapture fairway at the moment off the deck and it is damned easy to get going. I usually struggle off the deck with a fairway but this is really confidence inspiring.

Not cheap though.