PDA

View Full Version : Need help from experienced handiman

andylo
22nd September 2006, 08:53 AM
Attached a poor draw image : p

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7262/picoj3.th.png (http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picoj3.png)

Last weekend I was doing a backwash for the pool and the flexible white PVC hose just busted at nite.

After get wet, messy and frustrated I manage to turn off the pump and connected a 1/2 ass thing to continue the backwash.

2nd day I was looking for the right flexi PVC with RIGHT SIZE to replace the broken one. Long story short after endless amount to and from Bunning warehouse and lots of refund, exchange I still couldn't get the right hose.

Last nite is nite shopping and I manage to go to a pool shop and they provided pretty much the thing I need.

At least at the moment the size of the sand filter side is correct. It just the part that connected to the waste pipe (and black rubber type) is not too right.

The black rubber pipe is just a tack smaller than the prastic connector I show you guys in the pic. Its a white prastic one. I use a cramp that has a screw on it and try to force the connector to hold the rubber pipe.

It holds it ok (didn't fall at least) but it sort of force it become a oval shape and still have some excess water leaking (actually, spraying).

So basically I need some solution on how to seal it up.

Do I just use some duct tape to wrap around the rubber pipe to make it thicker? Or there's a more clever way to do it?

Thanks for you tips in advance.

Grunt
22nd September 2006, 08:57 AM
Alo, have you tried putting the black rubber pipe in hot water to soften it and then force it over the connector?

andylo
22nd September 2006, 09:00 AM
Not an option.

a) The back rubber pipe to me it looks extremely hard. I don't think the hot water is going let me expand it.

b) The rubber pipe is around 10 meters long and its all hooked up from the pool all the way to the front of garage. I know I can just prepare a tub of hot water to try but refer to point a).

Sigh.... :(

Grunt
22nd September 2006, 09:03 AM
Try it before you say it cant be done, really hot water(even boil the kettle and add boiling water to hot water) into a bucket. You will be suprised.

andylo
22nd September 2006, 09:12 AM
Okay. Will do :)

Grunt
22nd September 2006, 09:16 AM
Another solution would be to buy a union (what the connector is called) that fits the smaller pipe. You then wrap the other end of the connector with plumbing tape to build it up to the size that will make the larger pipe seal well.

dc68
22nd September 2006, 09:18 AM
ah Aro you are gold mate absorute gold.:mrgreen:

3oneday
22nd September 2006, 09:58 AM
Another solution would be to..... call someone and actually PAY them to fix the friggin thing :p

FFS

Jarro
22nd September 2006, 10:22 AM
Tezza will know what to do 8)

Courty
22nd September 2006, 10:47 AM
ah Aro you are gold mate absorute gold.:mrgreen:

LMAO. A-Lo even writes with an accent... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AndyP
22nd September 2006, 11:05 AM
How does he manage to spell his name right then????

Give Kev a call, Andy.

andylo
22nd September 2006, 11:41 AM
How does he manage to spell his name right then????

Give Kev a call, Andy.

That would be the final solution. I'd thought of that right at the beginning but I think its a little silly to ask for a help from 1000KM away for a little piping problem.

AndyP
22nd September 2006, 11:52 AM
Isn't Grunt over 1000km away?

Plod
22nd September 2006, 01:05 PM
Damn pipe's unfit, that's why it broke, it's got cramp. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

andylo
22nd September 2006, 01:21 PM
clamp or cramp... I dunno how it spell. : p

andylo
22nd September 2006, 01:28 PM
Isn't Grunt over 1000km away?

Err... true :p

dc68
22nd September 2006, 01:58 PM
clamp or cramp... I dunno how it spell. : p

Or prastic.:smt002 :mrgreen:

andylo
22nd September 2006, 02:08 PM
plastic? :)

dc68
22nd September 2006, 02:12 PM
plastic? :)

That's it champ/clamp/cramp.:smt002 :mrgreen:

andylo
22nd September 2006, 02:14 PM
How about more suggestions on the pipe thingy? :)

terryand
22nd September 2006, 05:03 PM
Would you like me to look at it next week when I am over there.

Wil I need to bring another cramp :smt002

Terry.

Flowergirl
23rd September 2006, 09:13 AM
Stop teasing Alo:evil: You try speaking Mandarin ( is that you're native tongue?). Don't let them take the priss out of you Andy.:twisted:

andylo
25th September 2006, 09:01 AM
Stop teasing Alo:evil: You try speaking Mandarin ( is that you're native tongue?). Don't let them take the priss out of you Andy.:twisted:

Cantonese actually.. .because I am from HK. I can speak both Cantonese and Mandarin fluently but my Cantonese is better. ;)

Grunt
25th September 2006, 09:03 AM
is it fixed yet Alo?

andylo
25th September 2006, 09:09 AM
not quite yet. Got some half ass solution just for now.

The hot water vs rubber hose thing didn't work. The wall of the rubber hose just too thick, can't do.

what I am having now is using part of the broken pipe clamped on the new pipe which clamped on another pipe.... it looks FUGLY and terrible and got some small amount leaking too, but just don't care for now. Will fix it in a later stage.

Courty
25th September 2006, 09:21 AM
what I am having now is using part of the broken pipe clamped on the new pipe which clamped on another pipe....

Clamped or cramped???

andylo
25th September 2006, 09:31 AM
;)