PDA

View Full Version : Driving Iron...

DMG
1st May 2021, 01:21 PM
Keen to give one a go, so would love some thoughts from anyone using one regularly...

Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly. Also, graphite vs. steel shaft... and how does the standard length compare to other clubs? Are they supposed to be like a 3 wood, or???

I'm finding that I'm getting a lot more confident with my irons, and so I'm taking my 5 iron to tee's where I should be hitting driver. Thinking a driving iron might give me a touch more length but still be a bit straighter for me.

thecollective
1st May 2021, 02:02 PM
Highly recommended, IMO lower width dispersion to a hybrid (although higher distance loss) forgiving on fat shots due to wide sole, penetrating low ball flight (perfect for layups on par 5) and very accurate from the tee.

For price you cannot go past the Srixon model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecollective
1st May 2021, 02:09 PM
Downsides: can be hard to launch ball in the air (20 degree or lower loft) but working on shallowing your swing can assist with this. I struggle with punch shots using the DI as the ball seems to balloon really easy (hence related to above comment).

A lot of models also feel really tinny due to hollow spring effect. The Srixon feels the most solid IMO

thecollective
1st May 2021, 02:11 PM
Downsides: can be hard to launch ball in the air (20 degree or lower loft) but working on shallowing your swing can assist with this. I struggle with punch shots using the DI as the ball seems to balloon really easy (hence related to above comment).

A lot of models also feel really tinny due to hollow spring effect. The Srixon feels the most solid IMO

Hybrids are much better for high shots (rescue shots over trees etc)

DMG
1st May 2021, 03:26 PM
Thanks TC! Definitely looking to hit it off the tee mainly... fairway finder (hopefully). I'm hooking all my woods at the moment including the hybrids, so want to give a lower lofted iron a shot. Hit my last couple of tee shots with the 5 iron today. Much straighter than my driver but obviously a lot less distance.

BobsYourUncle
1st May 2021, 04:55 PM
What TC said basically. My U510 is on the bench at the moment because I'm preferring the launch of a hybrid. Srixon is good, the Wilson staff model utility is also brilliant. Cobra gets some points for being adjustable, if that's your thing.

Scottt
1st May 2021, 05:38 PM
I have a TaylorMade GAPR Lo in #3 if you’re keen to try something.

CanuckDownUnder
1st May 2021, 06:50 PM
Akira prototype driving iron is one of the best I've hit. Forged and penetrating flight.

Similar to the Gapr Lo just smaller

PerryGroves
1st May 2021, 06:54 PM
Have no idea why anyone would use one, unless they are low singles or play a very windy course.

DMG: the hooked hybrid is a common issue, there must be some threads on it. Not saying its a universal panacea but knocking a bit of grass up rather than using a tee works well for me.

Johnny Canuck
1st May 2021, 09:19 PM
I carry a 3 with graphite. Had steel, but graphite felt nice and goes a touch further. It’s a fairway finder and can really run out when I turn it over and hit a stinger.

I also carry a 4 hybrid as it gives me a very high launching, soft landing alternative.

I do fall into the subcategory that PG speaks of.

I carry the 3i as my dispersion is much tighter than my 3hy, but it is much more demanding to hit.

thecollective
1st May 2021, 10:31 PM
Driving Irons are perfect for hackers, duff shots go along the ground and the ball is still in play. Hybrid goes on the next fairway

markTHEblake
1st May 2021, 11:51 PM
Isnt a driving iron a ladies club for someone who can't a 3 iron

DMG
2nd May 2021, 11:55 AM
Thanks all. Might see if I can hit a couple at Drummond. Definitely know I need to fix my swing with the woods, and perhaps the money would be better spent on lessons. Just need to find a good teacher!

thecollective
2nd May 2021, 01:25 PM
Isnt a driving iron a ladies club for someone who can't a 3 iron

No such thing as ladies clubs anymore #Karen2021

DMG
2nd May 2021, 01:34 PM
No such thing as ladies clubs anymore #Karen2021

I'd like to speak the Manager please TC...

thecollective
2nd May 2021, 02:21 PM
I'd like to speak the Manager please TC...

‘You’re always the manager sir’

Ferrins
2nd May 2021, 04:40 PM
Can't fault the Titleist U500 #3 with the Hzrdus. Can step on it off the tee and from the ground consistent distance and flight.
The U510 is dogsh*t.

Srixon has been mentioned but there is just something meow about them.

milo-man20
2nd May 2021, 07:44 PM
Anyone hit the Mizuno offering? Also the Cobra gets good reviews, as most of their gear does these days

BVB21
2nd May 2021, 07:53 PM
Anyone hit the Mizuno offering? Also the Cobra gets good reviews, as most of their gear does these days I have the Mizuno MP20 HMB driving irons (2 iron 16 degrees and 3 iron is 19 degrees)I absolutely love them. I didn't compare to the Srixon ZX7 which I have heard great things about as well.My are with KBS $Taper 130 X Flex.It really comes down to your swing and the course you play. I hit 2 iron off the tee more than driver as I play at Glenelg and it's not a long course, position is everything and the wind can be blowing a gale.I would say the 2 iron is my favourite club in my bag ATM.

Dazza
2nd May 2021, 09:41 PM
I've got the Cleveland Launcher UHX in a 3 & 4.So far so good.Also had success with the Mizuno Fli Hi utility iron years back

Johnny Canuck
2nd May 2021, 10:03 PM
Anyone hit the Mizuno offering? Also the Cobra gets good reviews, as most of their gear does these days

I play the MPH4 , which is similar to the Fli-Hi.

Great stick.

thecollective
2nd May 2021, 10:50 PM
I have the Mizuno HMB’s in my SEL set, amazing feel. I seem to get a bit more distance out of the Srixon but it has an AD graphite shaft in it.

Either brand is good. I have not tried the Titleist but looks good in the flesh (500, the 510 is butt ugly, sorry BYU)

Wenz
3rd May 2021, 10:09 AM
Srixon ZU45 with AD DI 105s for me.

It's either really good for me or really bad. I've been playing Stirling GC a lot lately and most holes don't require driver, with accuracy and 200m being all you need.

thecollective
3rd May 2021, 10:29 AM
Srixon ZU45 with AD DI 105s for me.

It's either really good for me or really bad. I've been playing Stirling GC a lot lately and most holes don't require driver, with accuracy and 200m being all you need.

(Based on what I witnessed at TTG) You hit that iron really well Wenz, if its bad I generally find the woods are good and vice versa. I find it much better to have an extra club in the top of the bag instead of the bottom (2 wedges, 3 woods and a DI as opposed to the standard 3 wedges and 2 woods)

Dazza
3rd May 2021, 04:41 PM
I've got the Cleveland Launcher UHX in a 3 & 4.So far so good.Also had success with the Mizuno Fli Hi utility iron years back Took the UHX to the range today and hit approx 100 balls. Very impressed.

milo-man20
3rd May 2021, 06:48 PM
Srixon ZU45 with AD DI 105s for me.It's either really good for me or really bad. I've been playing Stirling GC a lot lately and most holes don't require driver, with accuracy and 200m being all you need. How does the AD DI play in stiff mate?

markTHEblake
4th May 2021, 01:43 PM
No such thing as ladies clubs anymore #Karen2021 I cant even remember writing that! I have just checked all my apps and i was posting dribble everwhere at the same time. Not that you lot would have noticed any difference.

#no apology

thecollective
4th May 2021, 01:49 PM
I cant even remember writing that! I have just checked all my apps and i was posting dribble everwhere at the same time. Not that you lot would have noticed any difference.

#no apology

Lighten up, tis only a joke

DMG
4th May 2021, 02:01 PM
#sorrynotsorry

markTHEblake
4th May 2021, 02:06 PM
Lighten up, tis only a joke Yes, i did know it was a joke.

gameboy
6th May 2021, 01:43 PM
i have one of the callaway UT 3 irons in graphite. Play a shorter course (eastlakes) and this works a treat on the shorter par 4's.
Also carry a 4 hybrid for approach shots...............but probably need to look at my gapping again :)

DMG
6th May 2021, 02:11 PM
Currently looking at the Wilson or Cobra. Both seem to be a good balance between size/look and forgiveness (going on the reviews online that is). Will see if I can find some stock to have a hit with.

Toxic
6th May 2021, 06:06 PM
Just bought the Mizuno MP20-2iron

Cannot wait to get it

thecollective
6th May 2021, 08:47 PM
Just bought the Mizuno MP20-2iron

Cannot wait to get it

HMB? or blade?

HMB 2 iron is like 16 degrees of loft, more like a 1 iron

Toxic
6th May 2021, 10:08 PM
HMB? or blade? HMB 2 iron is like 16 degrees of loft, more like a 1 iron HMB 2ironStiff flex

thecollective
7th May 2021, 12:09 AM
At 16 degrees gonna be a pretty low ball flight

Toxic
7th May 2021, 06:05 AM
At 16 degrees gonna be a pretty low ball flightSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk More than happy with that concept

hippo10
7th May 2021, 08:54 PM
I recently acquired a Callaway X-Forged UT (21 deg) and impressed so far. Nice flight and good distance.

BVB21
8th May 2021, 07:50 PM
More than happy with that concept Me too. Love the ball flight.

Bitter
8th May 2021, 08:27 PM
I recently acquired a Callaway X-Forged UT (21 deg) and impressed so far. Nice flight and good distance.

I also just bought one, if someone likes his review mine is for sale lol.

DMG
9th May 2021, 03:28 PM
Just found a cheap New Level NLU-01 3 iron... so will see how that goes.

NewyMitch
9th May 2021, 03:49 PM
I just replaced a 4 hybrid with a 4 driving iron/utility, I'm enjoying the change.

We'll see if the same holds true with the 3 hybrid to 3 driving iron change.

hippo10
10th May 2021, 09:17 PM
I also just bought one, if someone likes his review mine is for sale lol.
Didn't like it? What was the issue for you?

Bitter
10th May 2021, 09:23 PM
Didn't like it? What was the issue for you?

Just a lack of talent on my behalf. I also use Callaway Mavrik Pro irons that I’ve since learnt the 4 iron is the same loft as the 3 iron in the UT.

Jazz18
10th May 2021, 09:50 PM
Just a lack of talent on my behalf. I also use Callaway Mavrik Pro irons that I’ve since learnt the 4 iron is the same loft as the 3 iron in the UT.

It's not a lack of talent mate. It's trigger happy ho finger! Lol!

AlexMc
14th May 2021, 09:29 PM
I have the U510 in 2 through to 4 iron. 3 and 4 is ridiculously easy to hit, 2 not so much. Reshafted it with a Ventus Blue - will see how it goes, really needed a bit more launch.