PDA

View Full Version : SA: Thaxted Park April 18

BobsYourUncle
15th April 2021, 01:54 PM
Flavzz has offered to host us at Thaxted Park.

7:47am
1. Flavzz
2. BobsYourUncle
3. DMG
4. nadg63 (very light pencil)

-----------------------

Some previous plans of mine have been cancelled, so now I find myself without a game of golf this Sunday morning, but permission to have one.

Anyone interested? Either to host me or play somewhere neutral?

Flavzz
15th April 2021, 02:21 PM
I'm keen. Can get you on Thaxted or happy to meet somewhere.

BobsYourUncle
15th April 2021, 02:24 PM
Thaxted would be great - what time? I'd prefer a 7-8am tee time, but doesn't really matter.

Anyone else interested? Can we get a whole group?

Flavzz
15th April 2021, 02:51 PM
I've reserved a group for Sunday at 7.47am. Anyone else keen please let me know by Sat morning.

BobsYourUncle
15th April 2021, 02:57 PM
Great, thanks. Looking forward to it.

Hatchman
15th April 2021, 04:31 PM
I'm still out injured.

thecollective
15th April 2021, 04:52 PM
Sabbatical for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flavzz
15th April 2021, 04:53 PM
I'm still out injured. Not good mate.

Hatchman
15th April 2021, 05:00 PM
Not good mate.

No it's not. It's taking too long for someone that used to heal fairly quickly from injuries normally. Might be age catching up with me :smt009

DMG
15th April 2021, 09:26 PM
Pencil me in lads... sounds like fun!

Flavzz
15th April 2021, 09:28 PM
Pencil me in lads... sounds like fun! Good man. 1 spot left.

wazamac
16th April 2021, 08:09 AM
Out. Zero interest in golf again. Have fun

Flavzz
16th April 2021, 01:53 PM
Nadge entered in the lightest of light erasable pencils.

DMG
16th April 2021, 03:10 PM
Ink me in lads... it's looking good (me going, not my golf... just to be clear). ;)

nadg63
16th April 2021, 04:08 PM
Nadge entered in the lightest of light erasable pencils.

Haha :)

Flavzz
17th April 2021, 07:55 PM
Looking forward to this. Considering I haven't played much lately if I broke 85 I'd be happy. Other tips, BYU to shoot 75 or better, DMG to hit a 3 wood 200m to 3 feet on any hole and Nadge to hit the first fairway and gradually lose interest from there. That's if he makes it to the first tee which is odds on favourite against 😉.

BobsYourUncle
17th April 2021, 09:31 PM
Looking forward to this. Considering I haven't played much lately if I broke 85 I'd be happy. Other tips, BYU to shoot 75 or better, DMG to hit a 3 wood 200m to 3 feet on any hole and Nadge to hit the first fairway and gradually lose interest from there. That's if he makes it to the first tee which is odds on favourite against 😉. I like your confidence in me. But I'll take overs on 75 ;)

DMG
18th April 2021, 02:08 PM
What a fun round... thanks all for the company, and thanks Flavzz for hosting! No 200m 3 woods to 3 feet for me, but still had a blast. Course is in great condition, and damn those greens! I mean, I can't read a green at the best of times, but forget those! ;)

Also, basically perfect weather... overcast, great temp, and no wind!

Flavzz
18th April 2021, 02:42 PM
What a fun round... thanks all for the company, and thanks Flavzz for hosting! No 200m 3 woods to 3 feet for me, but still had a blast. Course is in great condition, and damn those greens! I mean, I can't read a green at the best of times, but forget those! ;)Also, basically perfect weather... overcast, great temp, and no wind! Glad you enjoyed the course mate. It definitely takes some time to get used to the greens. Weather was great. You're welcome any time! Thanks BYU and Nadge for coming out. For the record BYU didn't quite break 75 but I did break 85 and Nadge technically didn't miss the fairway on the first hole!

nadg63
18th April 2021, 07:30 PM
What a fun round... thanks all for the company, and thanks Flavzz for hosting! No 200m 3 woods to 3 feet for me, but still had a blast. Course is in great condition, and damn those greens! I mean, I can't read a green at the best of times, but forget those! ;)

Glad you enjoyed the course mate. It definitely takes some time to get used to the greens. Weather was great. You're welcome any time! Thanks BYU and Nadge for coming out. For the record BYU didn't quite break 75 but I did break 85 and Nadge technically didn't miss the fairway on the first hole!

Cheers for the hit boys, enjoyable morning - I needed the exercise and surprisingly my golf was not too bad!

Good to finally meet you DMG.

Hatchman
19th April 2021, 03:29 PM

Every thing breaks towards the Sea there.

DMG
19th April 2021, 04:24 PM
Every thing breaks towards the Sea there.That would have been helpful to know last week mate. ;)

wazamac
19th April 2021, 04:32 PM
Use to be the case with the old greens. Guess it would be the same with the new.

nadg63
19th April 2021, 05:05 PM
Use to be the case with the old greens. Guess it would be the same with the new.

Unfortunately a few of the 'new' greens seem to have an elephant buried under them!

thecollective
20th April 2021, 01:15 PM
Unfortunately a few of the 'new' greens seem to have an elephant buried under them!

They have Crafter disease, you should see what he did to TTG #9, its currently undergoing changes from the grounds crew to soften the elephants.

Im all for undulating greens but there is a big difference between subtle drop offs and a Micky Mouse Clubhouse amusement park ride

wazamac
20th April 2021, 06:17 PM
2nd green at Thaxted is Mickey Mouse. 3 circles melded in the shape of his head.

Edit: I mean shape of mouse head. Can not assume in these days in Western society whether Mickey was male, transgender, LGBTQICLPOMD or other.

Flavzz
20th April 2021, 07:10 PM
2nd green at Thaxted is Mickey Mouse. 3 circles melded in the shape of his head.Edit: I mean shape of mouse head. Can not assume in these days in Western society whether Mickey was male, transgender, LGBTQICLPOMD or other. On 2 I couldn't always tell where the pin was until I got a rangefinder. Much easier now.The good thing with Thaxted is it really demands you to read the green from all angles. Agree a few of the greens are rough such as 2 and 6 but there's some that are just difficult and need careful attention such as 4,5,7,11,12 etc. 5 and 7 can be particularly in nasty if you leave yourself above the hole when the greens are running fast.

wazamac
20th April 2021, 07:22 PM
The old 2nd was one of the worst greens. Now the 3rd but kept same shape and flattened slightly. It used to have at least 5 degrees more slope than the 4th which is still tricky if slick.

Not to mention the 40m roll back from the drive on the old second up the hill.

nadg63
20th April 2021, 07:29 PM
The old 2nd was one of the worst greens. Now the 3rd but kept same shape and flattened slightly. It used to have at least 5 degrees more slope than the 4th which is still tricky if slick.

Not to mention the 40m roll back from the drive on the old second up the hill.

Oh, it can still do that! I chipped out sideways from the left, (only option), it landed then turned 90* right and it ended up rolling many metres back towards the tee! :evil:

wazamac
20th April 2021, 07:31 PM
Oh, it can still do that! I chipped out sideways from the left, it landed turned 90* right and it ended up rolling many metres back towards the tee! :evil:

Think you will find that is talent.

Hatchman
20th April 2021, 08:24 PM
Oh, it can still do that! I chipped out sideways from the left, it landed turned 90* right and it ended up rolling many metres back towards the tee! :evil:

Think you will find that is talent.

That would be a LOFT problem then. Lack Of F***ing Talent.

BobsYourUncle
21st April 2021, 09:24 AM
Ease up on the criticism of #2, that was the only hole I birdied!

Thanks for the hit on the weekend guys (I've been away = slow response). Flavzz played some very good golf.

I was ordinary - pretty solid off the tee, but mostly downhill from there, particularly with approaches to greens. Shot 82. Missed more than 1 green with a wedge, which is terrible. Limited highlights for me include the aforementioned birdie on #2 after taking it on and driving pin high just right of the green to get up & down for birdie. Also enjoyed flushing a 3 wood through the green on #14 (504m par 5), but a poor chip from a downhill lie meant I only made par. I enjoy Thaxted, and look forward to playing there again, hopefully a bit better next time.

The greens are tricky, but they roll true so you can make putts on them.

Flavzz
21st April 2021, 10:07 AM
Ease up on the criticism of #2, that was the only hole I birdied!Thanks for the hit on the weekend guys (I've been away = slow response). Flavzz played some very good golf.I was ordinary - pretty solid off the tee, but mostly downhill from there, particularly with approaches to greens. Shot 82. Missed more than 1 green with a wedge, which is terrible. Limited highlights for me include the aforementioned birdie on #2 after taking it on and driving pin high just right of the green to get up & down for birdie. Also enjoyed flushing a 3 wood through the green on #14 (504m par 5), but a poor chip from a downhill lie meant I only made par. I enjoy Thaxted, and look forward to playing there again, hopefully a bit better next time.The greens are tricky, but they roll true so you can make putts on them. I forgot about that. Driving it greenside from the back markers on 2 was impressive, a very deserved birdie. The fact we all made 5s on 14 in very different ways was hilarious. I almost hit 2 balls in the left hazard. Your drive on 12 was a ripper too.