PDA

View Full Version : What did you shoot March 2021

JoeS
2nd March 2021, 08:35 PM
Stableford
33 points
Can't buy a putt,short game is solid.Had 6 birdie putts for donuts,scaring the shit out of the hole with chips and putts.Cant find a fairway,but scrambling is strong.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

WBennett
3rd March 2021, 04:12 PM
A triple, 3 doubles and 14 decent holes. 85/75 off the plates today.

Good pennant form.

jimandr
3rd March 2021, 05:04 PM
A dull and unexciting 32 points for me today. Not much else to say. At least it was dry, after three wet Wednesday games in a row.

PerryGroves
3rd March 2021, 06:50 PM
33 points: finished wipe, wipe.

Hit it slightly left on 17 (par 5), had to hit a hooking 4 iron, smoked it, whacked a one inch branch 50m away and ended in a hazard, lost ball. Haven't been playing well and struggled to keep my head above water all day only to give it up at the death, very disappointing.

Positive: Hit wedge (113m) to 20cms on the 15th, so picked up an NTP.

MAZA68
3rd March 2021, 07:54 PM
Played a reasonable steady round at North ADL, Par, Birdie, Par start then a roll of bogies and the odd par after that. Lots of waiting as were in a two waiting on a four (that were walking), who in turn were waiting on groups of two's and three's playing in carts.

markTHEblake
4th March 2021, 08:03 AM
Welcome to sleepy Adelaide!

BobsYourUncle
4th March 2021, 12:58 PM
A new record for me today, and not in a good way.

I went out this morning with one goal: hit fairways. I was going to judge how well I played purely on how many fairways I hit (still playing proper golf, not hitting 9 irons off the tee). I hit 1 fairway. Never before have I hit so few fairways.

I did have "effective" fairways on 1, 2, 7, 17 and maybe 18 (had to hit over trees from the rough, but not blocked).

Given all that, I'm actually pretty happy with my 34 points, pars on 8, 14 and 15 were effectively birdies after chipping out from the trees. 6 GIRs, 27 putts. Sunk some nice putts today, but other than 16 they were all for par or worse.

PPBXPPPPP-BBPBPPbBP 77/73 34 points

Matt 3 Jab
6th March 2021, 02:41 PM
Medal day

The last 4 holes are just so damn hard, especially into a southerly. It feels disappointing, but I'll take 77 from the back.

Hit 15 and spun it off the front. Bladed chip.

Missed 16 short right. Death. Chunked chip.

Bad drive on 17 caused me to punch out.

First time using my modern equipment this year.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210306/c551b758d1c4900c33032d3be3433a32.jpg

MAZA68
6th March 2021, 07:45 PM
Victor Harbour started off with double, bogey, double and a run of bogeys and a couple of pars to turn in 9 over. Driving was reasonable but into the green was rubbish.
Started to get a better feel on the greens after 6 holes and that turned the game around. Nine putts on the back and better chipping to bring it in 3 over for the back nine.
Only a stupid double on 12 and a run through the green bogey on 17, the stumbles on the back nine.
Comp round and played to a 10.5 on a strange course, so pretty happy.

blurry
6th March 2021, 08:00 PM
81/73 in The Penrith Open today 44-37 [emoji37]
Here is the winners card [emoji15]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210306/c1b7fcb521d7b4f9fd7893d817b21553.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeS
6th March 2021, 08:07 PM
MM today,almost wasn't going to play due to long weekend and a sore back.
Story of the day was 36 putts,I can't buy anything.
78/71 for the win[emoji106]

Dcanto
6th March 2021, 09:40 PM
MM today,almost wasn't going to play due to long weekend and a sore back.Story of the day was 36 putts,I can't buy anything.78/71 for the win[emoji106]Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk Congrats on the win, Joe.

JoeS
6th March 2021, 10:57 PM
Congrats on the win, Joe.Cheers Dave

Kelsey86
7th March 2021, 03:46 PM
After three rounds of rubbish I finally had a reasonable day today at Mt Warren Park in a social club game, hitting 87 (68 nett). My irons were better today which helped a fair bit. 33 putts, a couple of 3 putts when I ended up miles from the hole but no others. 7/13 fairways, 5/18 greens. I've been happy with the driver lately, not just accuracy improvement but my distance has been quite consistent around 230-240m with the odd one 250+.

Highlight of the day was an eagle on the 2nd (our 11th) after hitting the green in two and making the longish putt, guessing around 8-10m. First eagle I've ever made and hopefully not the last. I hit another par 5 in two earlier in the round but missed the putt, but got birdie.

Pretty happy with today, only lost one ball which went in the water because I completely forgot the hazard sneaks across the fairway on that hole and hit a 3 wood straight into it 🤦 oh well.

BobsYourUncle
7th March 2021, 04:41 PM
bPPBPbBPP-bbPPPPBXb even par 72... which was only good enough for a 1-down loss in our pennant final today.

My opponent had 3 birdies and an eagle on the front nine - it's a bit rough making birdie on a par 4 and losing the hole. Very happy with how I played - sure I could look at the double on 17 and think "what if?" but really I did well to take it as deep as I did.

6/14 fairways (11/14 effective), 8 GIR, 24 putts (!)

AndyP
7th March 2021, 07:06 PM
07/03/2021, Gailes GC, Blue Tees, Social.

Stats: 7/15 fairways, 6/18 greens, 25 putts.
Score: XBbPPBXbb BbPBBBPPP; 40:39:79 (+3:+3:+6). Played to 6.3.
Self-Calculated Handicap (SCH): 8.0 (-0.1)

Gee, I came in here pumped about my 4 birdies in today's round, but the posts above me have an eagle, and five birdies. Way to bring me down, guys, and well done.

4 birds may be a record for me, likely an equal record; I actually don't remember, so I should record it somewhere, but probably won't. Equal PB at Gailes too, which I've played many times.

I also had a few shocker holes today though, especially early, plus a couple of shanks on the back nine. I found a sweet spot with my iron striking in the second half of the round, which was very, very nice. Please let that continue, while I try to get more consistency with the driver. 25 putts is kinda handy too.

I'm still happy with my decision to not pay the $15 comp fee, despite missing out on posting a flag score. Paying that just to get a handicap update isn't worth it, when I now just track my own to monitor progress.

Next round: Yet to book something for next Sunday. Maybe another arvo round, if this is how I play.

WBennett
7th March 2021, 08:27 PM
Round 5 of pennant at Federal today. Couldn't hit the range with driver in the warmup and decided 3 wood was the order of the day.

Won the first, lost the second, won 4 and 5 to be 1 under* through 5 and playing super.

A dumb double on 6 brought me back to earth, but then finished strong for a 21* point front 9 and 2 up.

Made bombs on 9 and 10 for parring halves, missed a downhill sliding 4 footer on 11, and went fully retard 12 and 13 to go one down.

Won 14 after he missed 40 left off the tee, won 15 after he shanked his second 40 left. Halved 16 to be one up, two to play. Dumped a wedge in the front bunker, then lipped out the 25 footer for par on 17. He was 20 foot under the hole and had 2 putts to win. He went 4 foot past and missed...

18 was squared in bogies where we both had chances to make 4, and I shoot 37/8ish points to win one up.

That was easily the biggest grind match I had ever been involved in and great fun. The team took 4 games to 18, but lost 4-2, but remain top of the ladder.

*conceded putts I would have made.

I genuinely felt drained after today. That was hard work.

Waddzy
7th March 2021, 08:29 PM
First comp round of Golf in over 3 years Roughly. Didn't realise it was MM off the blacks and for some reason I decided to walk and carry the 18 which the results showed.

95/77 (par 70) which included a 9 on a par 3 with 5 shots out of a bunker. Also started the round with 6 shanks each time I had an iron in my hands, I was so scared to hit an iron I took a hybrid from 130.

AndyP
7th March 2021, 08:44 PM
Also started the round with 6 shanks each time I had an iron in my hands, I was so scared to hit an iron I took a hybrid from 130.
Nice! You need this thread: Shanks by OZgolfers (https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/29824-Shanks-by-OZgolfers?p=1441359#post1441359) I'm a regular visitor at the moment.

JoeS
7th March 2021, 08:52 PM
Round 5 of pennant at Federal today. Couldn't hit the range with driver in the warmup and decided 3 wood was the order of the day.

Won the first, lost the second, won 4 and 5 to be 1 under* through 5 and playing super.

A dumb double on 6 brought me back to earth, but then finished strong for a 21* point front 9 and 2 up.

Made bombs on 9 and 10 for parring halves, missed a downhill sliding 4 footer on 11, and went fully retard 12 and 13 to go one down.

Won 14 after he missed 40 left off the tee, won 15 after he shanked his second 40 left. Halved 16 to be one up, two to play. Dumped a wedge in the front bunker, then lipped out the 25 footer for par on 17. He was 20 foot under the hole and had 2 putts to win. He went 4 foot past and missed...

18 was squared in bogies where we both had chances to make 4, and I shoot 37/8ish points to win one up.

That was easily the biggest grind match I had ever been involved in and great fun. The team took 4 games to 18, but lost 4-2, but remain top of the ladder.

*conceded putts I would have made.

I genuinely felt drained after today. That was hard work.Well played Beno.Grinding out a win can be satisfying

WBennett
7th March 2021, 09:28 PM
Well played Beno.Grinding out a win can be satisfying

This playing sober is worth about 4 shots a round to me

I don't like it

Courty
7th March 2021, 10:11 PM
First comp round of Golf in over 3 years Roughly. Didn't realise it was MM off the blacks and for some reason I decided to walk and carry the 18 which the results showed.

95/77 (par 70) which included a 9 on a par 3 with 5 shots out of a bunker. Also started the round with 6 shanks each time I had an iron in my hands, I was so scared to hit an iron I took a hybrid from 130.

Welcome back, Waddzy!

Dcanto
8th March 2021, 01:11 PM
Round 5 of pennant at Federal today. Couldn't hit the range with driver in the warmup and decided 3 wood was the order of the day.Won the first, lost the second, won 4 and 5 to be 1 under* through 5 and playing super. A dumb double on 6 brought me back to earth, but then finished strong for a 21* point front 9 and 2 up.Made bombs on 9 and 10 for parring halves, missed a downhill sliding 4 footer on 11, and went fully retard 12 and 13 to go one down.Won 14 after he missed 40 left off the tee, won 15 after he shanked his second 40 left. Halved 16 to be one up, two to play. Dumped a wedge in the front bunker, then lipped out the 25 footer for par on 17. He was 20 foot under the hole and had 2 putts to win. He went 4 foot past and missed...18 was squared in bogies where we both had chances to make 4, and I shoot 37/8ish points to win one up.That was easily the biggest grind match I had ever been involved in and great fun. The team took 4 games to 18, but lost 4-2, but remain top of the ladder.*conceded putts I would have made.I genuinely felt drained after today. That was hard work. Well played, Wayne. Good luck for the next round.

chappy1970
8th March 2021, 06:56 PM
Ran into the brother of a bloke who was a really good mate in school, last week at the course.
He contacted me to see if I wanted to join him for a game today, with his brother, who I hadn't seen for many years.

Was really great to catchup with him, and it was like old times.

Any way on to the golf.
Started on the back nine, which is my least favourite and duly flubbed around for 16 points, including a wipe and 3 jab on the 18th.

Got to the second nine and my preferred, hit a nice drive down the first on the right side, leaving myself 167m out, hit 6 iron, very thin, didn't get more than 10 foot off the ground and ran along the turf for the last 40 mtrs, up on to the green and into the hole for the worst eagle in golfing history, 2 for 5.
I got on a roll and after a birdie on the last hole managed a 1 under off the stick 35 for 24 points coming in and 40 points.

Cap into 7.9 too

AndyP
8th March 2021, 07:01 PM
Another eagle! Screw you, guys, and well done on the overall score, Chappy.

3Puttpete
8th March 2021, 08:11 PM
Ran into the brother of a bloke who was a really good mate in school, last week at the course.
He contacted me to see if I wanted to join him for a game today, with his brother, who I hadn't seen for many years.

Was really great to catchup with him, and it was like old times.

Any way on to the golf.
Started on the back nine, which is my least favourite and duly flubbed around for 16 points, including a wipe and 3 jab on the 18th.

Got to the second nine and my preferred, hit a nice drive down the first on the right side, leaving myself 167m out, hit 6 iron, very thin, didn't get more than 10 foot off the ground and ran along the turf for the last 40 mtrs, up on to the green and into the hole for the worst eagle in golfing history, 2 for 5.
I got on a roll and after a birdie on the last hole managed a 1 under off the stick 35 for 24 points coming in and 40 points.

Cap into 7.9 too

Embrace the ground game!

Hatchman
8th March 2021, 09:23 PM
Stableford at Tea Tree Gully
Started on the back nine. Big pull with the driver first hit of the day and sadly the driver didn’t get much better from there on. Had a hosel rocket on the 3rd trying to flop one over the bunker.
Was reading greens ok on 10-18 but could not read the breaks on 1-9. Only had 2 on 1-9 I got right including a birdie on the Par 3 8th that netted me 2 Balls.
29pts was the damage in the end which might see a flag drop off with S.A Champs next weekend.

Dcanto
9th March 2021, 12:13 AM
Ran into the brother of a bloke who was a really good mate in school, last week at the course. He contacted me to see if I wanted to join him for a game today, with his brother, who I hadn't seen for many years.Was really great to catchup with him, and it was like old times.Any way on to the golf. Started on the back nine, which is my least favourite and duly flubbed around for 16 points, including a wipe and 3 jab on the 18th.Got to the second nine and my preferred, hit a nice drive down the first on the right side, leaving myself 167m out, hit 6 iron, very thin, didn't get more than 10 foot off the ground and ran along the turf for the last 40 mtrs, up on to the green and into the hole for the worst eagle in golfing history, 2 for 5. I got on a roll and after a birdie on the last hole managed a 1 under off the stick 35 for 24 points coming in and 40 points.Cap into 7.9 tooThat's why I like that you only have to write a number on the scorecard. Well done.

mrbluu
9th March 2021, 09:40 AM

95/77 (par 70) which included a 9 on a par 3 with 5 shots out of a bunker. Also started the round with 6 shanks each time I had an iron in my hands, I was so scared to hit an iron I took a hybrid from 130.Good to see you back mate!!

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

jimandr
10th March 2021, 07:18 PM
Last home game before the SA Champs, and my preparation couldn't have been worse. A confidence destroying 26 points for me today.

All day it was slightly mis-hit drive, slightly mis-hit 2nd about 15 metres short and wide of the target, chip to about 10 feet, missed the putt.

BobsYourUncle
11th March 2021, 12:17 PM
Can't help feeling like one got away today.

PbPbBbbBP-PPPBBPBBP 73/38pts

First 12 holes I was on fire, 9/9 effective fairways, 10/12 greens. Fell away a bit after that, with a few poor swings creeping in. Still, hard to be too unhappy with 2 over.

Left birdie putts short but on line on 1 & 3, eagle putt on 7 lipped out. What could've been...

I think this is going to cost me shots at the SA Champs :( should've thrown the anchor out earlier.

Flavzz
11th March 2021, 01:04 PM
bPPBPbBPP-bbPPPPBXb even par 72... which was only good enough for a 1-down loss in our pennant final today.

My opponent had 3 birdies and an eagle on the front nine - it's a bit rough making birdie on a par 4 and losing the hole. Very happy with how I played - sure I could look at the double on 17 and think "what if?" but really I did well to take it as deep as I did.

6/14 fairways (11/14 effective), 8 GIR, 24 putts (!)

First 12 holes I was on fire, 9/9 effective fairways, 10/12 greens. Fell away a bit after that, with a few poor swings creeping in. Still, hard to be too unhappy with 2 over.

Left birdie putts short but on line on 1 & 3, eagle putt on 7 lipped out. What could've been...

I think this is going to cost me shots at the SA Champs :( should've thrown the anchor out earlier.

Some brilliant golf here mate. Just in time for champs. Great going! Under par is just around the corner.

AndyP
11th March 2021, 01:28 PM

Good form is winning form. Great scoring! You're the favourite.

Hatchman
12th March 2021, 11:14 PM
S.A Champs Warm Up Round at Blackwood
Can’t Drive, can’t chip, can’t putt.
23pts

JoeS
13th March 2021, 03:33 PM
Par today,had a -1 in rain.Was also on a new low of 6,big surprise when I got told this morning

Matt 3 Jab
13th March 2021, 03:36 PM
A few loose shots but otherwise solid day

Cleveland classic persimmon driver, tour edition 3 wood, 80's colokroms, Cure RX putter. Never putted better

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210313/7c843e9c1b4671e2f385cc7586855f61.jpg

Dcanto
13th March 2021, 07:48 PM
Single stableford at Half Moon Bay. One of my more consistent rounds for a while but still with 3 crap holes.

21 / 18 for 39 points. Threw-up on myself a bit at the end finishing with a one pointer and a wipe.

Hatchman
13th March 2021, 11:31 PM
Stroke at Mount Compass
Off the back blocks in strong wind for first round of OzGolf S.A Champs it was brutal.
Round was going ok for the first 4 holes then it all fell apart in a big way.
Topped tee shot on the Par 3 5th.
2 Drives into the hazard on the 6th followed by a hosel rocket into a fairway bunker with a 5 iron then bunker to bunker eventually holing out for an 11.
Lost ball on 7th.
3x lost balls on 11th.
1x OB and 1x lost ball on the 13th.
Unplayable on the 15th.
Never had so many big numbers past 6 on the one card.
Raised the bat for worst round in can’t remember when.
To make things worse I’ve done something to my wrist. Started noticing it was sore on the 14-15th. Then had shooting pain through it on the Drive on 16th. Played out the round under duress.

chappy1970
14th March 2021, 02:03 PM
Back to earth with thud today 30 points

16 out 14 back.

Couldn't get the speed of the greens all day.

Iron play was poor and even had a shank [emoji2957]

3Puttpete
14th March 2021, 05:53 PM

2 wipes, no birds, 1 in the water, 1 out of bounds and a lip out from 111m.

Kelsey86
14th March 2021, 05:56 PM
32 points in the Oxley comp yesterday playing off 18. Driving wasn't too bad hitting 7/14 fairways, only 4 greens though and 34 putts. Irons were a bit up and down, hit some nice shots but a few where the club dug into the soft ground more than I expected as well. I'll take it, better than the couple of 25 point rounds lately.

Dcanto
14th March 2021, 08:30 PM
....and a lip out from 111m.That was careless.

3Puttpete
14th March 2021, 09:50 PM
That was careless.

I know. I was trying to drop it short.

AndyP
15th March 2021, 12:48 PM
14/03/2021, Wolston Park GC, Blue Tees, Stableford.

Stats: 4/11 fairways, 5/18 greens, 26 putts.
Score: XPPPXXPPb PPBbbBPXP; 40:34:74 (+5:+2:+7). Played to 9.5. SCH: 8.0 (-0.0).

I had a bogey free front nine with a birdie, and it took until the 12th to have my first bogey. Unfortunately, I also had three doubles in that time, and added another in the run home with two more birdies. What a tantalising prick of a game golf is! 3 birdies, 4 shanks, 4 doubles for the round. Was it a what could have been round or did I save a bad round? The stats suggest the latter.

That's now 7 kakaaaas in the last two rounds, with 51 putts across 36 holes. Nice numbers, but its a shame I can't hit the driver properly; I was hitting all parts of the face yesterday.

Next round: Unless I get a weekday nine in, it will be a couple of weeks away. Probably McLeod.

jimandr
15th March 2021, 09:52 PM
Three rounds in 3 days at the SA Champs. Lazy readers only need to read the first one, because a very repetitive trend will be described.

Friday at Blackwood. 24 points. Hit the ball well for the most part, but could not get it into the hole. 5 x 3-putts, a few other missed short game opportunities. Blackwood is quite a difficult course for a player like me. It rewards length, which I don't have, and asks for precise placement of approach shots. My game is normally get it somewhere near the green and depend on my short game. Which wasn't working, partly due to leaving myself in the wrong spot for the pin placements

Saturday at Mount Compass. 28 points. Hit the ball really well most of the day in a strong breeze, but couldn't get it into the hole. 5 x 3-putts, a few other missed short game opportunities. Hit 7 greens in reg on the front nine, and turned 6 over. I misread putts and chips all day.

Sunday at Royal Adelaide. 32 points. Hit the ball really well all day in a strong breeze. Started with a 3-putt double after a good approach, then another 3-putt on 4, and my confidence was totally shot. It actually got better from that point and I made consecutive up and down pars to restore some dignity. Hit one of the best 4 hybrids ever to 5 feet on 7, and missed it, but it was the Ozgolf NTP winner. My first win of any sort in an Ozgolf event for some time.

Summary - really happy with my ball-striking, but I showed why I am a home course hero who doesn't travel well.

BobsYourUncle
18th March 2021, 02:00 PM
Pretty average round this morning, continuing the average form from SA Champs.

BBPbBBPBB-BbBPPBbPP - 77/33pts

Slam-dunked a fairly long bunker shot on 4 for birdie, which was nice. Putting was average, struggled to get up & down after missing a green.

Flavzz
19th March 2021, 01:17 PM

Slam-dunked a fairly long bunker shot on 4 for birdie, which was nice. Putting was average, struggled to get up & down after missing a green.

Life is good when your average rounds are 77.

Hatchman
19th March 2021, 02:08 PM

While your making multiple birdies a round things aren't bad. It's when the birdies dry up the scores blow out.

Toolish
22nd March 2021, 03:29 PM
The super prestigious Coomealla Open was on this weekend. I shot 81-79 to finish 13 back.

For 2 rounds that were 2 shots different they were totally different rounds.

Saturday I hit it the worst I have in a bloody long time, I hit 8 fairways but some of the misses were super wide, lost 2 balls on the front nine. Only hit 4 greens in reg but had 26 putts as I kept pitching, chipping to 6-8 feet and making it.
Sunday I hit it way better, more how I expect to, 9 fairways but misses were only just, 10 GIR but 34 putts.

There is a super low round amongst that, and a super high one!

Hatchman
22nd March 2021, 05:45 PM
The super prestigious Coomealla Open was on this weekend. I shot 81-79 to finish 13 back.

For 2 rounds that were 2 shots different they were totally different rounds.

Saturday I hit it the worst I have in a bloody long time, I hit 8 fairways but some of the misses were super wide, lost 2 balls on the front nine. Only hit 4 greens in reg but had 26 putts as I kept pitching, chipping to 6-8 feet and making it.
Sunday I hit it way better, more how I expect to, 9 fairways but misses were only just, 10 GIR but 34 putts.

There is a super low round amongst that, and a super high one!

Did Greg Rhodes add another to his list of titles?

BobsYourUncle
22nd March 2021, 06:19 PM
Played in a vardon event at Kooyonga on Sunday. Course was set up super hard - rock hard, fast greens, toughest pins, playing from the tips. Field of 64 sub-5 handicaps, only 7 guys broke 80. I started triple-double-double to be out of the running right away. Lost ball off the first tee, had to make the walk of shame back to the tee with other groups waiting (saw my ball bounce, so didn't hit a provisional, but couldn't find it when I got there). Played holes 4-18 pretty well for an 87.

thecollective
22nd March 2021, 06:52 PM
Played in a vardon event at Kooyonga on Sunday. Course was set up super hard - rock hard, fast greens, toughest pins, playing from the tips. Field of 64 sub-5 handicaps, only 7 guys broke 80. I started triple-double-double to be out of the running right away. Lost ball off the first tee, had to make the walk of shame back to the tee with other groups waiting (saw my ball bounce, so didn't hit a provisional, but couldn't find it when I got there). Played holes 4-18 pretty well for an 87.

Ouch

BobsYourUncle
22nd March 2021, 07:12 PM
Ouch Yep. I wasn't down the bottom of the leaderboard either - there were some high numbers out there. It was punishing.

thecollective
22nd March 2021, 07:15 PM
What was the highest? If I shot anything above 90 in a Vardon I would feel pretty embarrassed

BobsYourUncle
22nd March 2021, 07:39 PM
What was the highest? If I shot anything above 90 in a Vardon I would feel pretty embarrassed Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 101. I was pretty happy to keep it under 90 after my start. PCC for the day was +3.

thecollective
22nd March 2021, 07:46 PM
101. I was pretty happy to keep it under 90 after my start. PCC for the day was +3.

Raised the bat at a Vardon, noice

Hatchman
22nd March 2021, 07:49 PM

Vardons certainly sort them out when they trick the courses up.
The most savage one I ever played in was at Blackwood. I played in some Easter Open thing on the Saturday and shot 79. Come the Monday the Greens were a whole new level of lightning slick. Apart from putting 4 balls off greens due to the vast difference in pace I played pretty much the same as the day before and struggled to keep it under 90 both rounds. There was only 4 scores under 80 that day over both rounds and all the top players were there.

Toolish
23rd March 2021, 09:02 AM
Did Greg Rhodes add another to his list of titles?
Nope, tied 2nd.

I played with him on the Saturday and he had the flu, was talking about not coming back Sunday with how he felt. Still shot 73.

Kelsey86
24th March 2021, 12:23 AM
Social club game at Virginia on Sunday, ended up with 94/75. Driving was reasonable again hitting 50% fairways, and several misses still in a good position. 4 greens. A downpour decided to pass through on the 18th tee (our 9th), which made for some tougher conditions the rest of the round. Most irons fell short from not getting good contact on the waterlogged ground or were inaccurate from slippery grips.
Hopefully things are a bit drier this Sunday at Woodford.

Flavzz
24th March 2021, 08:18 AM
Vardons certainly sort them out when they trick the courses up.The most savage one I ever played in was at Blackwood. I played in some Easter Open thing on the Saturday and shot 79. Come the Sunday the Greens were a whole new level of lightning slick. Apart from putting 4 balls off greens due to the vast difference in pace I played pretty much the same as the day before and struggled to keep it under 90 both rounds. There was only 4 scores under 80 that day over both rounds and all the top players were there. I've never played in a Vardon. Can someone explain the premise of a Vardon event?

BobsYourUncle
24th March 2021, 08:58 AM
I've never played in a Vardon. Can someone explain the premise of a Vardon event?

They're fairly new to me. Part of the state order of merit, a year-long series of events open to amateurs. Some events will have handicap limits (the one on the weekend at Kooyonga was <4.5 GA), others don't, but might have a limited number of places and will give spots to lower handicaps first.

https://www.golf.org.au/orderofmerit/
https://www.golf.org.au/events#/customer/1090/schedule/2021/10692

thecollective
24th March 2021, 09:07 AM
I've never played in a Vardon. Can someone explain the premise of a Vardon event?

It's a stroke comp for flushers. Not something you want to do if your handicap is > 4. I can appreciate BYU playing Vardon as he is currently on a journey to scratch.

BobsYourUncle
24th March 2021, 09:10 AM
It's a stroke comp

Yes that's a good point. Plenty of 10+ hole scores to be had if you look through the results. There's one at Blackwood on Easter Monday, max handicap for that is 7.4. Not sure if I'll play, will need partner approval...

thecollective
24th March 2021, 09:20 AM
Yes that's a good point. Plenty of 10+ hole scores to be had if you look through the results. There's one at Blackwood on Easter Monday, max handicap for that is 7.4. Not sure if I'll play, will need partner approval...

It's probably a good experience for aspiring golfers, but the reality cheque would hurt many. I have seen a lot of good players give up the game over the last 10 years when they realise just how good the top level is in comparison to their own game.

Flavzz
24th March 2021, 11:17 AM
Ok nice one. Nothing I'll have to worry about then 😅

thecollective
24th March 2021, 01:43 PM
It's a bit like going in a half marathon for the first time and having the front of the field running back up and run past you (warm down jog) after finishing to provide motivation.

Flavzz
24th March 2021, 01:54 PM
It's a bit like going in a half marathon for the first time and having the front of the field running back up and run past you (warm down jog) after finishing to provide motivation. Haha sounds like fun!!

Hatchman
24th March 2021, 04:29 PM

It's the top level of Amateur Golf in the State. State representative teams for Juniors & Seniors are almost wholly picked from results in the Vardon Events.
They are a good test to play in if you get the chance. 36 holes in a day can be slog if your having a bad one though.

thecollective
24th March 2021, 04:41 PM
36 holes in a day can be slog if your having a bad one though.

Are they 36 holes? I thought they were only 18

BobsYourUncle
24th March 2021, 04:47 PM

The few I've looked at are all 18, although speaking to the father of an under-18 they have definitely played some 36 hole/day events - might not have been the same thing though.

I definitely experienced a step-up in terms of difficulty & pressure compared to a normal club comp (or even pennant). As I said, walking back to the first tee after losing my drive was bad, but when I got there I had to worry about the fact I'd only brought 1 new ball (left my bag in the trees down the fairway) - what if I lose this one? Go fetch another ball from my bag 200+ metres away? Beg for a ball from one of the many (in my mind) scratch golfers who are waiting annoyed I'm slowing them down? I'm actually quite proud of the fact I managed to put that out of my mind and hit one down the middle to be honest. Forget 36 holes, getting through just that first one seemed pretty hard...

But I loved the challenge in the end, and will try to play more.

thecollective
24th March 2021, 04:49 PM
The few I've looked at are all 18, although speaking to the father of an under-18 they have definitely played some 36 hole/day events - might not have been the same thing though.

I definitely experienced a step-up in terms of difficulty & pressure. As I said, walking back to the first tee after losing my drive was bad, but when I got there I had to worry about the fact I'd only brought 1 new ball (left my bag in the trees down the fairway) - what if I lose this one? Go fetch another ball from my bag 200+ metres away? Beg for a ball from one of the many (in my mind) scratch golfers who are waiting annoyed I'm slowing them down? I'm actually quite proud of the fact I managed to put that out of my mind and hit one down the middle to be honest. Forget 36 holes, getting through just that first one seemed pretty hard...

But I loved the challenge in the end, and will try to play more.

If you're keen to get to scratch playing Vardon is a good move, no question.

markTHEblake
24th March 2021, 05:13 PM
Vardon trophy is the typical term for the States Stroke Average winner. A vardon event are those that count for this OOM.

jimandr
24th March 2021, 05:42 PM
I did play a few NSW South Coast Vardon events when I was a youngster who thought he was a reasonable golfer. They are good fun if you play well, but a humiliating experience if you are paired with a scratch marker and you shoot 90 with 8 three-putts, as I once did.

I have no expectations of being at Vardon standard again, and I had few expectations of my round today. After 4 days of staying home and watching it rain I was happy to be out in the sunshine. I got an early indicator when I lost a ball in the rough on the second, and then almost lost another one on the 3rd. In the end the total was 27 points, with 7 doubles, 2 bogeys, 8 pars and a birdie. The course was so soft I hit 13 3-woods. One of them was an absolute cracker to 8 feet and a birdie, so that is the shot that will bring me back next week.

Hatchman
24th March 2021, 06:23 PM

Unless it's totally changed recently in the last couple of years 90% of the events have always been 36 holes.

BYU, If you play any more of the events pray like hell you don't get drawn with Patrick Mentzel from Riverside. One of the slowest players I have ever had the displeasure to be drawn in the same group with. By the 3rd or 4th hole you'll already be a hole and a half behind because of this f****** snail.

BUSHY
26th March 2021, 09:12 AM
Played RQ yesterday and surprisingly it was in awesome condition given the rain early in the week.

The golf- not so awesome.

Really fighting the lefts off the tee- have been through this before, just need to work out what I did last time.

11pts to start 10-18, 16pts to finish 1-9.

Which included a rally on the final 4 holes to par in.

A couple of highlights were the 3-4 rockets I hit with my old Exotics 4w that is in my travel bag. Airmailed the 9th green in two which at 480m was a little surprising.

Good company and a beautiful Brisbane day though.

Toxic
27th March 2021, 05:10 PM
39 points around Corowa today,
Nothing more than a 5
Two eagle putts (both missed)
Pretty happy

NewyMitch
28th March 2021, 02:04 PM
36 points this morning with 37 putts. Just couldn't buy one, hitting 9 GIR was a nice change though.

Kelsey86
28th March 2021, 04:06 PM
Had a better (and drier) day today at Woodford in the social club, ending up with 84 (45/39) and 43 points off 19. 6 fairways, 9 greens which was nice, 6 of them on the back 9 which we played first. 32 putts. Pitching from 60-70m in was on point almost every time, regularly putting it within about 10 feet. Also hit a number of nice approach shots. Fell away a bit on the second 9 after being +2 after 10 holes but overall pretty happy with how I played today and hopefully can keep it up and improve on it. Next game on Saturday in the Oxley comp.

BobsYourUncle
28th March 2021, 05:20 PM
43 points is great. Win the comp?

Flavzz
28th March 2021, 05:23 PM
Played the front 9 at Thaxted today and shot 39 (+3). Played quite well par'ing the first 5 holes. Missed a couple makeable birdie putts too. I'm working on a few things to reduce my natural draw which seems to be working.
2 FWYs
5 GIR
17 putts
PPPPPBPBB

Kelsey86
28th March 2021, 06:09 PM
43 points is great. Win the comp? Cheers. Third, there were two others on 46 points haha. The winner deserved it though, he was +2 off the stick playing off 12.

BobsYourUncle
28th March 2021, 06:24 PM
Not just one but two 46s? Wow. Short course? Some short courses can get taken apart by higher handicappers when they have a good day, Sandy Gallop up in Ipswich is a bit like that.

BobsYourUncle
28th March 2021, 06:32 PM
I'm a bit late this week.

Usual Thursday morning comp:
PBbbPPBXP-PBBPPPBPB 77/33pts

Driver was poor, only 2/13 fairways with it, and a couple of larger misses that cost shots. Putting was good.

Social round at The Pat today (off the whites):
https://i.imgur.com/6wr5Cex.png

Before anyone gets too carried away, they're renovating the 14th, so the 4th played as a short par 4 (so birdie, not eagle) and the 14 was replaced by a short par 3 (so bogey there, not par) - making it a 1 over round, not my first under par :lol:. Still, I was playing a different game compared to Thursday, drove the ball really well (thoroughly enjoying the new shaft). Wedges could've been a bit more dialled in, if I was to complain about anything. Shout out to making par on the 10th after air-mailing my drive into the creek behind the green. Drop, chip & putt.

I really do enjoy the layout at the Pat. Pace of play was very good today too, not too busy - although the greens are still full of pitch marks (but not as bad as they were on the day of the OzGolf round there).

Flavzz
28th March 2021, 07:01 PM
Had a better (and drier) day today at Woodford in the social club, ending up with 84 (45/39) and 43 points off 19. 6 fairways, 9 greens which was nice, 6 of them on the back 9 which we played first. 32 putts. Pitching from 60-70m in was on point almost every time, regularly putting it within about 10 feet. Also hit a number of nice approach shots. Fell away a bit on the second 9 after being +2 after 10 holes but overall pretty happy with how I played today and hopefully can keep it up and improve on it. Next game on Saturday in the Oxley comp. Great golf mate!

Flavzz
28th March 2021, 07:03 PM
I'm a bit late this week.Usual Thursday morning comp:PBbbPPBXP-PBBPPPBPB 77/33ptsDriver was poor, only 2/13 fairways with it, and a couple of larger misses that cost shots. Putting was good.Social round at The Pat today (off the whites):https://i.imgur.com/6wr5Cex.pngBefore anyone gets too carried away, they're renovating the 14th, so the 4th played as a short par 4 (so birdie, not eagle) and the 14 was replaced by a short par 3 (so bogey there, not par) - making it a 1 over round, not my first under par :lol:. Still, I was playing a different game compared to Thursday, drove the ball really well (thoroughly enjoying the new shaft). Wedges could've been a bit more dialled in, if I was to complain about anything. Shout out to making par on the 10th after air-mailing my drive into the creek behind the green. Drop, chip & putt.I really do enjoy the layout at the Pat. Pace of play was very good today too, not too busy - although the greens are still full of pitch marks (but not as bad as they were on the day of the OzGolf round there). Still a quality round at the Pat mate. Well done.

markTHEblake
28th March 2021, 07:22 PM
A couple of highlights were the 3-4 rockets I hit with my old Exotics 4w that is in my travel bag. Airmailed the 9th green in two which at 480m was a little surprising

nice one Bryson, the 9th normally plays about 650m into the wind

BUSHY
28th March 2021, 07:35 PM
nice one Bryson, the 9th normally plays about 650m into the wind

Was slightly down wind, but I absolutely hammered the first one. Carried the bunker on the left.

MAZA68
28th March 2021, 08:47 PM
Still a quality round at the Pat mate. Well done.

Where is the pat?

Flavzz
28th March 2021, 08:52 PM
Where is the pat? In West Beach, the course is currently called West Beach Parks Golf. It used to be called The Patawolonga after the local river of the same name and affectionately gets called 'The Pat'.

BobsYourUncle
28th March 2021, 09:16 PM
They still call it the patawolonga course, because they also have the exec/short course. Not the longest or most difficult course, but a pretty good layout, at least IMO. The greens do get a bit pitch marked though with all the public play they see.

AndyP
28th March 2021, 09:41 PM
28/03/2021, McLeod GC, White Tees, Social.

Stats: 6/13 fairways, 5/18 greens, 29 putts.
Score: PBPPXBPPX PPPXbBBPP; 43:37:80 (+6:+3:+9). Played to 9.5. SCH: 8.6 (-0.1).

Solid day's ball striking today. Nothing special, but enough to get around and score decently. Even the driver came to the party for a change. A couple of holes where the short game went in to spud mode were costly to the score card, and it felt like the putter wasn't quite on today. I'm in a decent little patch at the moment, so I hope it goes in the direction of improvement and not the other way.

Next round: At least one round over the Easter weekend, hopefully two.

Kelsey86
29th March 2021, 11:45 PM
Not just one but two 46s? Wow. Short course? Some short courses can get taken apart by higher handicappers when they have a good day, Sandy Gallop up in Ipswich is a bit like that.It was par 72 but a few shortish par 4s and one of the par 5s pretty easily reached in two with an accurate drive, mine wasn't unfortunately but still made par after hitting a gap wedge out of heavy rough for my 3rd and somehow landing on the green. Most of the par 4s for me and my group were driver and wedge or short iron to the green.

Kelsey86
29th March 2021, 11:46 PM
Great golf mate! Thanks mate, really enjoyed that round!

jimandr
31st March 2021, 05:57 PM
A quite mediocre 31 points for me in difficult conditions today. Strangely, I couldn't hit a hybrid, usually one of my strengths. In among quite a few bad ones, I hit one of the best shots I've ever hit.

I had to curve a 3 wood about 30 metres left to right to get around a dogleg and did it perfectly. So at least I hit a shot I really enjoyed.

PerryGroves
31st March 2021, 06:54 PM
Had 37 points*2 down at Narooma.

Few cored greens on the back nine and too many 3 putts, drove it well which was a plus given what I've been doing.

Good enough to secure the beers both days particularly as my partner had 40 off 4 on day one having never seen the course.

AndyP
31st March 2021, 08:30 PM
31/03/2021, Gailes GC (1-9, 10, 18), White Tees, Solo.

Stats: 6/9 fairways, 6/11 greens, 19 putts.
Score: PPbPXPPPP B.......B; 38:11:49 (+1:+2:+3).

I hit lots of practice shots during this round, but I used one ball for scoring and scored very well. The good ball striking continued with the irons, so I decided to use the 3W off the tee more often to make sure I found fairways, and let the irons do the rest. I hit 6/9 greens on the first nine, which is as many as I often hit during 18, and the same for the amount of fairways hit. The driver when it made a few appearances was a bit disappointing, but hopefully it joins the party soon.

Next round: Not booked, because it is lockdown dependent.