PDA

View Full Version : New driver head or new driver shaft?

bdoug10
16th February 2021, 07:41 AM
Been asked the question for a new golfer and I have no idea the answer.
If you can only replace the head or the shaft what would give you the best bang for buck?

Dotty
16th February 2021, 08:03 AM
The one that would give the best results.

Flavzz
16th February 2021, 08:38 AM
Depends what you're starting with. If you have an old driver with a small unforgiving head best to replace it with something modern. In that case it's most likely cheaper to replace the whole club. Do you have a specific example?

bdoug10
16th February 2021, 10:19 AM
Callaway XR with the stock project x shaft

Flavzz
16th February 2021, 10:27 AM
It's a solid modern driver with some adjuability. How does he hit it typically? I suppose the main things would be if launch and spin are acceptable with that loft and shaft.

bdoug10
16th February 2021, 10:36 AM
Ohh sorry not sure what he has, that’s what I have and used it as an example. But it has got me thinking. Would I be worth upgrading?I hit mine fairly high, tend to hit it straight/left to start the round and towards the end a fade sometimes slice. Distance would be about 220m-230mShaft is stiff

Flavzz
16th February 2021, 11:18 AM
Ah ok. Sorry I misread that. IMO for any beginner if there is limited budget start off with something modern (within the last 5-6 years) and adjustable tip around 10.5 degrees in reg flex. This makes swapping shafts quicker and easier later. If they're a bit stronger you could always go stiff flex.

Once they develop and take to the game you could always then replace the shaft or just easier to replace the club and get fitted.

If budget is no issue by all means get a few lessons and get fitted for something.

bdoug10
16th February 2021, 11:45 AM
Thanks Flavzz I’ll let him know. By the sounds the driver heads have not improved to much in the last 5 years compared to shafts then?

Flavzz
16th February 2021, 12:16 PM
I would argue so at least in terms of ultimate distance, Forgiveness has gotten a lot better in driver heads of late. At the end of the day a properly fitted driver will be the best performing solution but for someone starting out and not knowing if they will really get into the game I'd be using the most forgiving and modern driver available within their budget. There's a stack of great value second hand gear out there.

markTHEblake
18th February 2021, 02:21 PM
If you can only replace the head or the shaft what would give you the best bang for buck? If you like the head, replace the shaft. If you like the shaft, replace the head. If you dont like the head and the shaft, replace both. If you like the head and the shaft, replace both, and duck when she finds out you regret it.