PDA

View Full Version : SA: March 4th (Thursday) The Dunes Port Hughes

Hatchman
3rd February 2021, 12:56 PM
The Minister is using our S.A Travel Voucher for a couple of days get away at the beginning of March down at Port Hughes (found it very hard to find a regional place that would accept it that was available).
I'm intending to have a hit at Port Hughes on Thursday the 4th so thought a throw out a long shot if anyone has the day off and doesn't mid a drive out into the country they are welcome to join me.
I haven't locked myself into a time so I'll be able to fit in with anyone that may be able to make it.

And yes the Minister is well away that I'm having a round. She actually asked where are the places we could go that I could have a game at?

Benje
3rd February 2021, 08:36 PM
Hatchman

you will have a great day. I played there on Saturday and it exceeded all expectations.

”Grange East with width and undulation”.
pure Santa Anna fairways and rough to resort width.
pure bent greens, not too fast (worth slope and wind).
shell grit bunkers which don’t blow out despite the wind. Some of the liners are starting to appear.

play a mix of tees - perhaps black odds and gold evens . It is black flags out and red flags in. If you want a shorter course, do gold and silver tees.

note the pro shop/bar/barista/ cafe/ toilets are 500 metres from the 1st tee, so give yourself an extra 15 minutes to find it, then walk to the first. Carts and buggies are available. Saturday was $44 on line. Good value.

I carried with 9 clubs.

Hatchman
4th February 2021, 08:19 AM
Hatchman

you will have a great day. I played there on Saturday and it exceeded all expectations.

”Grange East with width and undulation”.
pure Santa Anna fairways and rough to resort width.
pure bent greens, not too fast (worth slope and wind).
shell grit bunkers which don’t blow out despite the wind. Some of the liners are starting to appear.

play a mix of tees - perhaps black odds and gold evens . It is black flags out and red flags in. If you want a shorter course, do gold and silver tees.

note the pro shop/bar/barista/ cafe/ toilets are 500 metres from the 1st tee, so give yourself an extra 15 minutes to find it, then walk to the first. Carts and buggies are available. Saturday was $44 on line. Good value.

I carried with 9 clubs.

Cheers Benje
I've played it twice before. I'm interested to see how its regressing or hopefully progressing. Played in an Open there one of those games and they were some of the smoothest Greens I have ever putted on and sneaky lighting quick. Back then they were rolling the Greens after every time they cut them. I saw what they were rolling them with and it was a heavier machine than what were were using at Kapunda at the time.

Flavzz
4th February 2021, 09:51 AM
I'm very keen to get there for a hit in the future but won't be able to make it on this date Hatch.

Benje
4th February 2021, 06:30 PM
Hatchman

I use hole 19 as an app for my apple watch.
I used it at the start of each hole on the phone app to see where the hole went, and where bunkers were, and carry distance.
It worked really well.
There are a few semi-blind shots in the opening holes, and the line you think could be 30 metres out!

Benje

wazamac
4th February 2021, 06:57 PM
Love to get there with you but only pencil. Picked up a couple of big school projects today.

Hatchman
23rd February 2021, 05:19 PM
Bit of a reminder bump if anyone has a day off on Thursday 4th of March and would like to join me.

wazamac
23rd February 2021, 05:32 PM
Take me off the pencil list. Too much to do. 3rd school has hit the books.

Hatchman
4th March 2021, 03:34 PM
Didn’t end up having a game in the end.
Went down to the course at 9am intending to have a hit.
Sorry the Veterans have a Shot Gun start on on Thursday morning and the course is full with 30.......yes you got it FULL with 30 Veterans. You can come back at 11:30 and we can get you on.
Told them no thanks I’ll go do something else.

Good thing the club is doing so well financially they can close it for 4-4 1/2 hours for 30 players every Thursday.

Benje
4th March 2021, 07:37 PM
Gosh.... I was looking forward to your thoughts on the course Hatch.
I guess they start 10 groups of three.