PDA

View Full Version : A death in the family

Flowergirl
16th September 2006, 09:07 PM
I've just had one of the saddest days in my life. :cry:

My darling brother in law passed away afer battling a brain tumour for several years. He was 49. Geoff was the nicest bloke in the world - and I'm not just saying that cos he's gone. He was funny, witty, clever, talented and kind. The tumour was cruel and in the end his death was a blessing to both him and my sister. She battled breast cancer last year. I got to the hospital just after died and he was so peaceful.

JOhn has gone away to Phillip Island for the motorbike GP and I insisted that he stayed down there. Geoff used to go down there with him before he got ill so I know he would have wanted John to stay down there. I've just come home after helping my sister with the funeral arrangements. I feel lost and I needed someone to talk to. I chose to talk to you guys.

Thanks for listening. Rest in Peace Geoff.

jaster
16th September 2006, 09:46 PM
So sorry to here FG :( I wish him all the best with where you go after this great life and my dearest sympathies to John and yourself and your family.

Livestrong

Jarro
17th September 2006, 04:46 AM
sad news Reenie :( so sorry to hear about your loss.

Give my regards to John as well please

Eag's
17th September 2006, 07:33 AM
Very sad news FG :( these things do take a toll on family members, at least he is at peace now.
My thoughts are with you.

Grunt
17th September 2006, 08:06 AM
Sorry to hear FG, makes me realise how lucky I was to have mine removed sucessfully earlier this year. Thoughts are with youself & John.

Flowergirl
17th September 2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks guys. Geoff was my sister's husband not John's brother. Thought it probably sounded a bit harsh that John wasn't there if it was his own brother.

Yesterday was the first time that I'd ever seen a dead body - and I was suprised that it wasn't a bad experience. It's always been something that I feared maybe I'm more grown up than I thought. It was still Geoff there - we stayed with him for a few hours just talking, crying and laughing. I kept expecting him to wake up and laugh with us.

Geoff loved his golf - I'm playing today in our matchplay final. If we win - I'll thank Geoff. If we lose - I'll blame him. He'd like that:smt002 He had a wicked, ireverrant sense of humour. The blacker the better.

Yesterday his son in law accidently pressed the button that makes the bed rise up. Poor Patrick was devasted when Geoff started to rise up. After the shock - we just broke up. The nurse came in - I'm sure you can get the picture. Geoff would have LOVED it. He loved Weekend at Bernies and my sister hated it. That's Geoff all over.

Grief is a strange emotion. Nothing can prepare you for how you feel. You start to think - should I be feeling this this or like that - then you suddenly realise that there are no rules with handling grief and we all do it in our own way. Geoff's mother couldn't see him as he was dying and afterwards. That was her way. Patrick couldn't stay. My father - even though he was so deeply saddened couldn't shed a tear.

Me being able to write down my thoughts to you guys is a great way for me to be able to handle my grief. I've always been one to share my thoughts and feelings. John is one who is very closed and private.

It's nice to know that there is always someone here to listen and care. That means so much to me.

Courty
17th September 2006, 09:29 AM
Condolences to you and yours, FG. :cry:

mike
17th September 2006, 09:43 AM
FG, I'm sincerely sorry to hear about your loss.

Grief is a strange emotion. Nothing can prepare you for how you feel. You start to think - should I be feeling like this or like that - then you suddenly realise that there are no rules with handling grief and we all do it in our own way.

Well said.

My dad died when I was 16. A difficult age to deal with any death , let alone your dad.

I don't remember shedding a tear then, or since then for that matter. I honestly didn't know at the time how I was supposed to feel.

Geoff loved his golf - I'm playing today in our matchplay final. If we win - I'll thank Geoff. If we lose - I'll blame him. He'd like that:smt002

Good attitude. Sounds like he would like that.

Did you win ?

davidp
17th September 2006, 03:42 PM
Yesterday was the first time that I'd ever seen a dead body - and I was suprised that it wasn't a bad experience. It's always been something that I feared maybe I'm more grown up than I thought. It was still Geoff there - we stayed with him for a few hours just talking, crying and laughing. I kept expecting him to wake up and laugh with us.

My prayers are with you and Geoff's family FG.

In the end, a body is just a shell to house who we truly are. Geoff sounded like a wonderful person, and will go on living long after the memorial service. Thankfully, his physical pain is over, and he can go to wherever good people go.

amanda
17th September 2006, 03:42 PM
Hey Reenie - brad and I are sending big hugs to you and John :)

AndyP
17th September 2006, 03:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, FG. 49 is just too early.

just
17th September 2006, 04:16 PM
Condolences.

Iain
17th September 2006, 04:34 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss FG.

BrisWesty
17th September 2006, 07:08 PM
So very sorry FG. Friends up here are going through a similar thing with their father, and are waiting for the "he's gone" call from Melbourne. While he's much older, the grief is still terrible, and I wish you, John and your sister every blessing and wonderful memories through this awful, sad, yet relieving time.

gazgolf1
17th September 2006, 07:46 PM
Sorry for your loss FG. :(

Flowergirl
17th September 2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys. It has helped - a lot. :smt056

cazandpaul
18th September 2006, 04:41 PM
Reenie and John and all the family - Caz and I are sending all our love and support your way - stay strong for your sister.

Paul