PDA

View Full Version : MyGolfSpys best of the best driver test

NewyMitch
22nd December 2020, 07:48 AM
For those that haven't seen the results see below. This is definitely a test that I've been wanting to see done for a long time. The results were even closer than I expected.

https://mygolfspy.com/best-of-the-best-driver-challenge/

Captain Nemo
22nd December 2020, 11:00 AM
https://mygolfspy.com/best-of-the-best-driver-challenge/

Captain Nemo
22nd December 2020, 11:00 AM
Fixed....

Halfer5
22nd December 2020, 11:08 AM
Did this have any bearing on your purchase of a Mavrik?

Captain Nemo
22nd December 2020, 11:08 AM
Mine, nah just had money burning a hole in my pocket from a big weekend on the punt....

Planet Golf
22nd December 2020, 04:23 PM
My Golf Spy does a very good job in my humble opinion. Look at some of the results over the last few years, Wilson, Lynx and Srixon have tested out of this world for them, yet are not Big 5 (Titleist, TM, Cally, PING, Cobra)... they are an Agnostic tester which I appreciate.

Daves
22nd December 2020, 05:37 PM
I am playing the M1 and the 565 tomorrow. Hopefully I can put some decent swings on them.

Webster
22nd December 2020, 06:35 PM
Were all the drivers compared using the same shaft?

Hatchman
23rd December 2020, 01:33 PM
Were all the drivers compared using the same shaft?

This is where a lot of these tests fail.
I'd be real interested in results of same shaft with different heads using a few shaft options.
But as seen with my Cobra Bio Cell+ and Cobra R9 a Shaft that goes great in one can make the other a complete POS.

Stuart
23rd December 2020, 03:11 PM
But as seen with my Cobra Bio Cell+ and Cobra R9 a Shaft that goes great in one can make the other a complete POS.

I agree with this and therefore disagree with the general concept that all heads should be tested with the one shaft. I have loved a shaft in one head, and then found it far less usable in a different head.

I assume that manufacturers these days (acknowledging that this was not always the case) are likely to want their product to perform reasonably well straight off the shelf, and therefore going with their stock shaft is probably a good starting point for multiple-user tests (like the MGS one). If you were fitting each person for each club, different story, but clearly they are not going to be able to do that.

Biggest takeaway - take these tests all with a grain of salt, buy every new driver each season and test them yourself. Then sell to me for a dramatic discount :)

Coopers Country
31st December 2020, 12:05 AM
I agree with this and therefore disagree with the general concept that all heads should be tested with the one shaft. I have loved a shaft in one head, and then found it far less usable in a different head.

I assume that manufacturers these days (acknowledging that this was not always the case) are likely to want their product to perform reasonably well straight off the shelf, and therefore going with their stock shaft is probably a good starting point for multiple-user tests (like the MGS one). If you were fitting each person for each club, different story, but clearly they are not going to be able to do that.

Biggest takeaway - take these tests all with a grain of salt, buy every new driver each season and test them yourself. Then sell to me for a dramatic discount :)

If you want a fair test between different heads then you have to put in the shaft that works the best for the tester , same reason we rarely play the same shaft in a driver and a 3 wood