PDA

View Full Version : SA: Links Lady Bay Tues 26th January 7:05am

Hatchman
14th December 2020, 08:57 PM
After a brief discussion over a lovely Lunch at the Gumeracha Hotel after the Xmas Mug it's been decided we will kick off 2021 with Links Lady Bay on the Public Holiday Tuesday 26th January.

2 Groups Booked
7:05am Tee Off
$55 for Game
$7 for Mens Comp off Whites (optional)
$40 for Cart (1 has been booked for BYU)
Nothing has been planned for Lunch.

1. Hatchman
2. BYU
3. Thecollective
4. Hard_Pan
5. Wazamac
6. DMG

BobsYourUncle
14th December 2020, 09:22 PM
In - can you reserve a cart for me when you book?

Hatchman
14th December 2020, 10:08 PM
In - can you reserve a cart for me when you book?

Ok, I'll do that.

thecollective
14th December 2020, 10:09 PM
In, but I won’t be able stay for lunch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard_Pan
14th December 2020, 10:11 PM
In.

marcel
14th December 2020, 10:43 PM
Out - wife's Birthday

thecollective
14th December 2020, 11:02 PM
I respect 8:30 is reasonable considering the drive but if 8 is doable I would be keen for an earlier start.

If not 8:30 tis, just probing for an earlier time

wazamac
15th December 2020, 07:56 AM
In

Flavzz
16th December 2020, 08:16 AM
Pencil. We often have a family catch-up on this day. Will confirm closer to the day.

Hatchman
17th December 2020, 05:51 PM
How about you Nadg? You up for some Lady Boy action?

nadg63
17th December 2020, 06:57 PM
How about you Nadg? You up for some Lady Boy action?

Haha - as it happens I just logged on to the forum to post here! As much as I detest the place, (well the back 9), I am contemplating this BUT that week is set aside to decorate the lounge so I won't know for definite until closer to the day.

BobsYourUncle
17th December 2020, 07:31 PM
Haha - as it happens I just logged on to the forum to post here! As much as I detest the place, (well the back 9), I am contemplating this BUT that week is set aside to decorate the lounge so I won't know for definite until closer to the day.What don't you like? I've only heard good things

nadg63
17th December 2020, 07:57 PM
What don't you like? I've only heard good things

Front nine is good, traditional links style - then you cross the road and you're suddenly transported to another course - long and boring. Nearly always blowing a gale, regularly raining, it sucks :D Mt C is WAY better.

DMG
17th December 2020, 08:54 PM
Pencil... yeah, back nine pales in comparison to the front. Also can't imagine walking the back nine... but that's likely in my head due to the feeling of it being so long.

I'd also be down for an early start like TC. :)

Flavzz
17th December 2020, 09:20 PM
The back 9 still has a couple good holes. I always enjoy playing there apart from the yum yums eating my ball a few metres off the fairway.

DMG
17th December 2020, 09:30 PM
The back 9 still has a couple good holes. I always enjoy playing there apart from the yum yums eating my ball a few metres off the fairway.

I think we lost 4, but found 6... winning.

There is a hole on the back nine that goes over a hill and sweeps right back down a hill to a shared green (can't recall which one... 13?) which suits my low slice perfectly! :)

thecollective
17th December 2020, 09:52 PM
Re: Lady Bay GCA back nine, my thoughts...

#10 is a great hole, you need to position your ball relative to where the flag is situated, too long and you can be in a trap with a tricky second shot. A rare exciting uphill shot. Graeme Grant did an amazing job with the bunkers, particularly on this hole.

#12 could be great as a risk reward Par 5. If my playing group is interested I will show you where the Par 5 tee box should be located and we can even play the hole from there (I do this every time now), the tee shot is much better from there.

#16 would make a great short Par 4 from down the hill over the creek as the tee box

#17 is a great long Par 3. Really depends on the wind what club you take and rewards a shot that does not balloon past (what I call) the 'equator'.

#18 is a good Par 5, the more left side you take on the more you cut off in terms of distance, that shot to the back flag is daunting, a great finishing hole.

Benje
17th December 2020, 10:12 PM
TC

#11 is a great second shot, but the tee is in the wrong place and/or the shot point land has been mounded all wrong.

14,15, 16 are reasonable holes, they just don't fit with the previous 13 holes.
That means you have lost 'the vibe' on 17 so miss a good hole.

The other issue is that by the time you play the back nine, the wind is up and it is easy to get depressed.
Might be a better nine if it was the front nine?

thecollective
18th December 2020, 11:16 AM
TC

#11 is a great second shot, but the tee is in the wrong place and/or the shot point land has been mounded all wrong.

14,15, 16 are reasonable holes, they just don't fit with the previous 13 holes.
That means you have lost 'the vibe' on 17 so miss a good hole.

The other issue is that by the time you play the back nine, the wind is up and it is easy to get depressed.
Might be a better nine if it was the front nine?

Benje: I agree with #11, that tee shot doesn't look quite right. #13 is not a bad hole either but the OOB line is a little strange to get the best angle, good green though

#14 I just don't see the incentive to hit it over the bush along the OOB line, not enough reward for the line of charm

#15 too uphill for me, the green is somewhat blind to me feels like a hit and hope shot

#16 the worst tee shot on the course, layup just short of the bunkers with a blind second over a bush, or once again hit and hope into the valley (lots of bad bounces down there). The double green is good, it's just a really awkward tee shot from the top of the hill.

Hatchman
18th December 2020, 03:28 PM
Ok everyone it's Ladies day at Lady Boy on Tuesdays from 8-9am.

You called for early I've gone early before the hen house tees off.
I've booked 2 Groups from 7:05am
Cart has been booked for BYU
They have a Comp off the White Tees for those that wish to play in that (I'm in for the comp)
$55 for the round, $7 for the Comp, $40 for Cart

Looking forward to this until I plug my 3rd ball into the face of a bunker like last individual round.
F9 dud Driver will be staying home for this one.

BobsYourUncle
18th December 2020, 05:12 PM
Early start but that's fine with me. Thanks for booking.

thecollective
18th December 2020, 05:49 PM
Need to watch out for Cows and Ducks on Dairy Flat Road at that time of the day

DMG
19th December 2020, 03:47 PM
Thanks Hatchy... early start should make it easier for me to attend. :)

nadg63
19th December 2020, 04:01 PM
The verdict is in - I'd rather paint/decorate than pay $55 to trudge around there, so out for me :)

Hatchman
6th January 2021, 11:24 AM
Any inclusions or update on those in pencil?

Flavzz
6th January 2021, 12:44 PM
Confirming I'm out. Family bbq now locked in.

Hatchman
6th January 2021, 03:56 PM
Might be lost now on first page. Any more inclusions or update on those in pencil?

Thanks for confirmation Flavzz

DMG
6th January 2021, 07:32 PM
Still a pencil for me mate, but the lead is getting darker.

Hatchman
7th January 2021, 01:57 PM
Still a pencil for me mate, but the lead is getting darker.

Excellent, press harder for darker :lol:

DMG
7th January 2021, 10:50 PM
Excellent, press harder for darker :lol:

Just not too hard... or it'll SNAP!

Hatchman
8th January 2021, 10:38 AM
Just not too hard... or it'll SNAP!

Very true, wise advice.
Push too hard and your pencil will be snapped :razz:

Hard_Pan
8th January 2021, 07:59 PM
Yes, just ask Dennis Rodman. He managed it 3 times apparently!! Ouch!

DMG
9th January 2021, 12:53 PM
Yes, just ask Dennis Rodman. He managed it 3 times apparently!! Ouch!

Somehow we moved from press harder to push harder... I take no responsibility for where it ended up!

DMG
23rd January 2021, 03:37 PM
Looking good for this one lads...

BobsYourUncle
23rd January 2021, 04:18 PM
Excellent. Weather is looking alright too, maybe a bit breezy to enhance the links experience, but nice and cool.

Hatchman
23rd January 2021, 09:23 PM
Anything could be better than sitting at home with no Aircon atm after it crapped itself Fri mid afternoon.

nadg63
23rd January 2021, 10:32 PM
Anything could be better than sitting at home with no Aircon atm after it crapped itself Fri mid afternoon.

Damn, that sucks :(

Benje
24th January 2021, 03:05 PM
Hatchman

Go to the pub, or shopping centre, or a friends place, or if really desperate visit family.

Benje

wazamac
24th January 2021, 03:07 PM
Opposite for me.
Hot water crapped itself today

DMG
24th January 2021, 03:27 PM
Opposite for me.
Hot water crapped itself today

If ever there is the time.... it's now!

Flavzz
24th January 2021, 03:53 PM

Damn that sucks mate, I hope you found somewhere cool today

wazamac
25th January 2021, 11:29 AM
Should be nice heat wise tomorrow with winds south westerly.

Coopers Country
25th January 2021, 05:39 PM
Should be a pretty welcome weather change for you guys

nadg63
25th January 2021, 07:38 PM
Should be a pretty welcome weather change for you guys

Has rained on and off all day today.

DMG
25th January 2021, 08:35 PM
PGA of Aus posted this on their FB page a few days ago...

wazamac
25th January 2021, 10:27 PM
Probably stop at Yank my gorilla bakery on way home

DMG
26th January 2021, 01:52 PM
Awesome round thanks gents... perfect morning for it. HUGE thanks to Hatchy for finding my 60* left on 7 after I tossed it from the green side bunker! :evil:

Some pics of the morning...

DMG
26th January 2021, 01:55 PM
Few more pics...

Last two of the Par 3 17th. ~170m to the pin... wind off the left... high 4 hybrid to the middle of the green... had to share, this is huge for me!

BobsYourUncle
26th January 2021, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the hit guys. I really enjoyed the course, although can see how it'd be really tough in strong wind. I somehow managed to avoid the bunkers all day and feel like I missed out on a key part of the experience...

Hatchman
26th January 2021, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the hit today everyone.
15 holes was enough for me :lol: after stuffing up the time we were hitting off. Had it in my head we were off at 8:00 not 7:05 as I had booked, doh. If there wasn’t a couple of groups behind our spots I would have caught up by about the 6th at a guess.
My game was a bit of a mixed bag of crap and rubbish :lol:. Hit the irons fat early but turned that around after moving the ball back in the stance a bit. Couldn’t get off the tee all day fighting the quick transition and bottom hand over powering resulting in smoothered pulls all day. Couldn’t get the feel for the slow pace with the putter having a heap of 3 jiggles.
Highlight for the day was sticking a bunker shot from the trap short of the green to 6 foot kand making the putt on the 16th.
As nice as some of the holes are the new 6 at Robe are better than any 6 you can pick at LLB.

Stopped in at Aldinga Hotel on the way home for lunch. Won’t be eating there again, that’s for sure.
Had a Chicken Schnit & Chips with Pepper Gravy. It is without a doubt the worst Pepper Gravy I have ever had. It was too thin and had white lumps though out it. It had very little flavour of any sort and no heat despite having Pepper Corns in it. The white lumps make me think rather than making new Gravy they’ve thinned an existing one out and added some flour to thicken not stirring it in enough which goes in line with it was too thin and lacking flavour. The Minister said her Parmi was very bland and one of the worst she’s had in a long time.
Massive thumbs down for Aldinga Hotel.

thecollective
26th January 2021, 05:26 PM
Thanks for hit guys, made for a fine day

Special thanks for the company BYU & DMG in the lead group and tolerating my GCA waffle while we played the back nine. Apologies I could not hang around; I needed to help my wife clean the holiday house and drive home in time for school preparation.

Course was in relatively good nick although the greens were a bit of a lottery. A lot of thick poa growing on many greens made for a bumpy ride to the hole. Bunkers have always been a feature of Lady Bay, superb contouring

#10 is a really good hole and probably my pick of the lot, the close of #17 & #18 and the start of #1-#4 are also clear standouts. I will never get #14 no matter how hard I try, a superb green but the tee shot is weird to say the least. Had a go at my 'holes that aint holes' with #16 played as a short 4 from the back of the #14 green. A great tee shot with the key line to play as close to the left hand side bunkers for an easy chip.

Flavzz
26th January 2021, 05:35 PM
Sounds like a great day for all except Hatchy 😅

thecollective
26th January 2021, 05:40 PM
Had a Chicken Schnit & Chips with Pepper Gravy. It is without a doubt the worst Pepper Gravy I have ever had. It was too thin and had white lumps though out it. It had very little flavour of any sort and no heat despite having Pepper Corns in it. The white lumps make me think rather than making new Gravy they’ve thinned an existing one out and added some flour to thicken not stirring it in enough which goes in line with it was too thin and lacking flavour.

This might be worth a listen tonight then....

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52786&stc=1

BobsYourUncle
26th January 2021, 06:09 PM
When is the next round? I'm probably out with pennants in Feb - when did we decide to have the champs?

Hatchman
26th January 2021, 07:00 PM
When is the next round? I'm probably out with pennants in Feb - when did we decide to have the champs?

Mid to end March was discussed for Champs.
I’ve sent Marcel a msg if he can check for RA availability.

thecollective
26th January 2021, 09:58 PM
I’m out for Feb, will be interstate for most of it

wazamac
27th January 2021, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the hit guys. Started ok, fell into a slump then ok on the back nine.
Seriously had mixed feelings about playing there.
Yankalilla Bakery on way home was nice but very busy. I did my duty and sent photos to Pep's.

Peppas
27th January 2021, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the photos! Glad someone managed to visit the spiritual home of kitchener :)

DMG
27th January 2021, 09:36 AM
Special thanks for the company BYU & DMG in the lead group and tolerating my GCA waffle while we played the back nine.

Always a pleasure hitting sticks with you and BYU!

Hatchman
27th January 2021, 09:08 PM
Thanks for hit guys, made for a fine day

Special thanks for the company BYU & DMG in the lead group and tolerating my GCA waffle while we played the back nine. Apologies I could not hang around; I needed to help my wife clean the holiday house and drive home in time for school preparation.

Course was in relatively good nick although the greens were a bit of a lottery. A lot of thick poa growing on many greens made for a bumpy ride to the hole. Bunkers have always been a feature of Lady Bay, superb contouring

#10 is a really good hole and probably my pick of the lot, the close of #17 & #18 and the start of #1-#4 are also clear standouts. I will never get #14 no matter how hard I try, a superb green but the tee shot is weird to say the least. Had a go at my 'holes that aint holes' with #16 played as a short 4 from the back of the #14 green. A great tee shot with the key line to play as close to the left hand side bunkers for an easy chip.

I'm with you on not understanding that 14th hole one little bit.
The green and the bunkers around the green are fine. It's the blind Tee shot in relation to the shape of the water hazard and that lone tree and the length of the hole that make it all kinds of wrong. I have no idea how the hell the players that don't hit it past 180m play this hole.

Lets look at the Tee shot as this is where the hole is just completely whack.
For the first time played player you have absolutely no idea which way the hole goes and where you should be aiming your Tee shot as everything you need to avoid can not be seen.
The Tee shot is totally blind hiding that there's water trouble for the long hitters and water on the right for the average hitters as well. It's only once you've played the hole that you can make out a couple Red stakes but still don't know how far it is really to reach them.
There is no diagram on the Tee Block that shows you the the shape of the hole and where the fairway is in relation to the creek that runs across it feeding the water hazard on the right hand side of the quite narrow Fairway that gives you the preferred line into the Green.
There's a fairway bunker on the left that can be seen from the Tee with the whole narrow section of fairway beyond that.
It's all thick snake/lost ball country on the left once off fairway.
In a straight line from Tee to Green you see 1 lone medium height tree.
If you lay up or can only drive it to just short of the start of the water hazard on the right at it's closest point to the Tee your faced with a 140m-170m shot into the hole with water carry and a medium height tree in the line. To make matters worse this hole plays into the wind most of the time.

This is what I would do to possibly fix it.
1. Build up the tee blocks so every thing can be seen from the Tee.
2. Make the Fairway much wider on the left so it's not fairway or off in with the snakes.
3. If a bunker on the left was necessary it should be shallow so if you have the stones you could take on the water carry.
4. Remove that stand alone tree as it's not necessary to block all but the higher ball strikers from having a shot at the green. Bunkering around the Green and water carry on the layup line is more than enough.
5. Keep the green shape and bunkering but drag it 20-30m back towards the foot bridge and closer to the water.

Sounds like a great day for all except Hatchy ������
Aside from hitting it poorly off the Tee most of the day I had great day once I got there and caught up with the rest until it was lunch time.

DMG
28th January 2021, 09:47 AM
This is a great Hatchy summary... you've described pretty much everything TC spoke about as we were playing this hole. It's my least favourite on the course... and with everything you've mentioned above, it's also quite ugly with the sheds and various other crap on the left side of it.

BYU actually nailed this hole which was amazing for a first time player of it. I'll leave it to him to advise how much luck was involved with his tee shot, but his 2nd over the tree in front of the green was all class!

nadg63
28th January 2021, 10:19 AM
I stand by my earlier comment - Links Lady-Boy sucks, well mainly the back nine!

BobsYourUncle
28th January 2021, 11:17 AM
BYU actually nailed this hole which was amazing for a first time player of it. I'll leave it to him to advise how much luck was involved with his tee shot, but his 2nd over the tree in front of the green was all class!

Thanks. Pretty poor contact with my 3i off the tee (but hey, my playing partners certainly didn't show me the way ;)) left me about 175 out, into a breeze that I figured was adding 10-15m to the shot. I foolishly took on the back-right pin, threw a 4h high up into the air and ended up on the back-right fringe, maybe 5m from the pin. Missed the putt on the low side, but tapped in for par.

I stand by my earlier comment - Links Lady-Boy sucks, well mainly the back nine!

I liked it. Back 9 had a different feeling, but some good holes.

DMG
28th January 2021, 12:48 PM
Thanks. Pretty poor contact with my 3i off the tee (but hey, my playing partners certainly didn't show me the way ;))

Hey, technically we did... I mean we both went straight at the pin... just not in the air... and not very far. ;)

Hatchman
28th January 2021, 05:21 PM
After my very first hit there (very rare day of no wind) nailing one down down the center on the optimal line only to not find the ball because it went too long I've always aimed it down the right hand side with a 5 wood in no wind or 3 wood into the wind leaving me short of the hazard and 140-170m in. Absolutely no risk in the tee shot this way as push/cut or pull/draw is completely covered.