PDA

View Full Version : Monday 2 October Eastlakes 10.00am

jimandr
14th September 2006, 10:33 PM
The Sydney Ozgolf scene is rather quiet at the moment. But perhaps those making the big journey noth at the end of the month want a warm-up game, if they aren't going away for the long weekend.

Being a holiday Monday, plenty of venues should be available.

I'm thinking about Castle Hill as a possibility. I'll ask about the coring and sanding situation regarding the greens at any course I call.

If I get any interest, I'll make some calls, and then create a calendar entry.

Who wants a game?

miro
15th September 2006, 08:42 AM
Jim,

Andrew has suggested, though not confirmed, Newcastle's off the plates day on the Friday before this the 29th of September. why don't you come along to that?

Grunt
15th September 2006, 10:36 AM
Would love to play Jim but unfortunately it is not a day off for me, in fact I am working the entire long weekend.

TS
15th September 2006, 10:48 AM
Jim. You may find a few clubs will be having the qualifying round for their club championship on Mon 2 Oct.

jimandr
15th September 2006, 11:52 PM
Jim,

Andrew has suggested, though not confirmed, Newcastle's off the plates day on the Friday before this the 29th of September. why don't you come along to that?

I can't take that day off from work.

Not much interest so far. I'll give it another few days.

Andrew
16th September 2006, 07:16 AM
I would like to join you, Jim, but I fly out early (6:50) the next morning on another golf trip, so Monday is family & packing.

amanda
16th September 2006, 07:56 AM
Hi Jim - Brad and I are definitely interesting in coming along :D

marcel
16th September 2006, 01:04 PM
I would like to join you, Jim, but I fly out early (6:50) the next morning on another golf trip, so Monday is family & packing.

I reckon you'll pack the new travel bag Friday and stand and admire it til Tuesday morning.

P.S. Enjoy the M5, it's the last traffic you'll see for 4 days.

Trung
16th September 2006, 01:14 PM
I'm back to Sydney that morning... Maybe golf isn't a good idea...

Amanda. you need to cook for me (x2) this time :mrgreen: .

amanda
16th September 2006, 02:32 PM
Amanda. you need to cook for me (x2) this time :mrgreen: .
No worries Trungie - Brad's work is a lot less hectic at the moment so you'll get a chance to have a chat with him too!

Andrew
16th September 2006, 03:26 PM
I think Castle Hill would be a great option. Reasonable course with plenty of room on each hole. Just allow enough time for a long round. Golf is slow at the best of times at Castle Hill, so a holiday Monday will probably be 5½ hours.

I reckon you'll pack the new travel bag Friday and stand and admire it til Tuesday morning.

It's not so much the travel bag that I was impressed with, but the endorsement of my golf travel that impressed me. I now have a mandate to go on golf holidays, & like John Howard & the GST, I'm prepared to use that mandate

jimandr
17th September 2006, 10:45 PM
Hi Jim - Brad and I are definitely interesting in coming along :D

I'm figuring that the clubs with 'normal' Monday Open days will not change that to fit in with club championships, so I'll try them first. Castle Hill, Bonnie Doon and Liverpool all fit the bill and are good quality options.

Does anyone know if Bonnie Doon's renovations are complete? Their website doesn't mention anything.

Grunt
18th September 2006, 07:16 AM
Muirfield is now on Monday's I will add it to the list today.

jimandr
22nd September 2006, 04:10 PM
I've made my calls. Some answered, some didn't.

The successful booking is at Eastlakes, at 10.00am. At this time there is a vacancy for one player.

A calendar entry will be created to allow Brad and Amanda to confirm their entry, and for a fourth player to join us.

Castle Hill weren't answering the pro shop phone, and Bonnie Doon is playing their club championships.

Still, I haven't played EastLakes since their course changes, so I'm looking forward to it.

amanda
23rd September 2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks Jim - looking forward to it!

jimandr
28th September 2006, 10:51 PM
If we haven't got a fourth player by now I dare say we won't get one.

I'll ring Eastlake on Friday and advise them we are only a three. If anyone becomes available at the last minute, you can ring the club and see if the space is still free.

I'll see Amanda and Brad about 9.30 on Monday.

amanda
29th September 2006, 03:35 PM
Great! :D

amanda
2nd October 2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks to Jim for organising a great day out - it was full of interesting moments! (I'll let brad post about this)

Scores for the day were:

Jimandr - 30 pts
Amanda - 27 pts
Brad - 25 pts

brad
2nd October 2006, 03:37 PM
Well, I built a sturdy fence on my score card for the first 5 holes (all one pointers). And then it got a little better. I started with some two pointers and managed a couple of threes in there - lets forget the wipes :oops:

Then this happened to my driver on the short par 4 16th. I was looking to attack the green. :(

http://ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?p=123804#post123804

It would have looked hilarious to anyone but me. My ball went way right and my club head went way left into the drink!

Once I saw that the head was floating and getting further away I couldn't just stand there, so in I went. Looked like I was going to have an easy time of it until the ground sort of gave way :shock: .

AndyP
2nd October 2006, 03:49 PM
It's a shame there are no photos of your swim, brad.

jimandr
2nd October 2006, 06:35 PM
It would have looked hilarious to anyone but me. My ball went way right and my club head went way left into the drink!

Once I saw that the head was floating and getting further away I couldn't just stand there, so in I went. Looked like I was going to have an easy time of it until the ground sort of gave way :shock: .

I was there, and it was hilarious.

I haven't looked at Brad's other thread yet, so I hope I'm not repeating anything, but we found that titanium driver heads float, and that the Lake is two feet deep for a while, but the mud won't support a grown man's weight all the way in.

I had my own interesting drive experience.

For those who know it, the fifth is a blind tee shot over a big hill, where the further left you are the better. There is a big wire screen on the left side of the tee to prevent you going too far left into the houses. As I'm hitting a fade/slice at the moment I needed to start the ball left.

I started too far left and hit the screen. Usually if you hit a glancing blow on a wire screen the ball bounces off, loses lots of distance, but no harm is done. I hit the supporting post full on, then watched my ball sail back over my head for a minus 50 metre drive. Very bad for the driving stats!

Apart from that, we all played poorly but had fun.

We were lucky to firstly be a threeball, then we had a perfect run all day, not held up once.

The new holes are quite good, but a bit out of character to the rest of the course.

Andrew
2nd October 2006, 07:47 PM
I hit the supporting post full on, then watched my ball sail back over my head for a minus 50 metre drive.

Tough hole from there. Did you recover for any points on that hole ?

jimandr
2nd October 2006, 09:50 PM
Tough hole from there. Did you recover for any points on that hole ?

I hit two good shots from awkward sidehill lies to get back into a reasonable position, a bad one from a good lie into a terrible spot, a really good chip, then I missed a 10 foot putt that would've given me a point. Sums up the good and bad of golf, doesn't it?

brad
3rd October 2006, 12:44 PM
It's a shame there are no photos of your swim, brad.

Lucky for me I left my phone in the car or there would have been :)

Jim, I thought I'd leave that one for you to explain.

It was overall a very entertaining and fun day!