PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing September 11th

Flowergirl
14th September 2006, 09:49 AM
Gee - it's Thursday and no one has started this thread. What's happening out there. A few weeks ago people were starting the thread weeks ahead:shock:

Played in a three person aggregate stableford event yesterday. Gee - they keep on coming up with some strange formats. Best two scores are recored out of the three players. Our team was runners up with 86 points. We lost by a point.:evil:

I had 38 points - but the handicapper doesn't get you in this format. I had an 80mt ferret for a birdie. 4 for 4.

Having a lesson on Saturday. Looking forward to fine tuning the old swing.

Courty
14th September 2006, 09:58 AM
Played in a three person aggregate stableford event yesterday. Gee - they keep on coming up with some strange formats.

:smt017

I had 38 points - but the handicapper doesn't get you in this format. I had an 80mt ferret for a birdie. 4 for 4.

Wow. Nice work, FG. :smt023 So, you gonna just leave it at that or are you gonna give us the shot-by-shot commentary?

Flowergirl
14th September 2006, 10:19 AM
No shot by shot report.:???:

Amazingly I probably hit one of my best scores at my home course but I don't feel like I played all that well. I started slicing off the tee - got it back under control by the 4th - and I duffed 4 stupid shots that I tried to play with my lob wedge ( which didn't come out again for the rest of the day:evil: )
I suppose cos even my bad shots aren't the shockers that they used to be - my bunker play was pretty good - no hitlers - and only one three putt. As everyone tells me - it's the short game that makes all the difference.

Since I've dropped my handicap I really feel like the pressure is off - so I'm more relaxed - and the golf is better. I know that I'll have bad days - but that doesn't mean that I won't ever play well again. Also I've stopped thinking too much. I leave that for practise. I only let myself have one swing thought - which at the moment is loose grip - and just trust myself that I'll make the shot. The ferret that I made was when I stood over the ball and started thinking - I'm not sure what to play here - and I just stopped those thoughts and said to myself "trust yourself" . Gotta say that more often.:mrgreen:

Courty
14th September 2006, 10:23 AM
No shot by shot report.:???:

I meant for the birdie, not the whole round... :-D

Grunt
14th September 2006, 11:04 AM
Gee - it's Thursday and no one has started this thread. What's happening out there. A few weeks ago people were starting the thread weeks ahead:shock:

It makes a difference when I am working at the start of the week, doesn't it. No golf for me until Saturday this week. Maybe only 1 game next week too.

AndyP
14th September 2006, 11:05 AM
I duffed 4 stupid shots that I tried to play with my lob wedge ( which didn't come out again for the rest of the day:evil: )
Here's some shot saving advice:
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=895
The person who started the thread must have been having troubles with the shot too.

I would've thought that the handicapper could have taken your score into account if they wanted to.

Flowergirl
14th September 2006, 11:15 AM
I meant for the birdie, not the whole round... :-D

Oh. sorry:smt087 Par 5 - real high elevated tee. Ok drive......but rolled into a bad lie in the rough. Crappy 5 iron over the bunkers. 5 wood off line into the rough - SW in from 80 mtrs. Landed in front of the green and rolled slow motion tracking to the pin and with it's last breath dropped in.
So in summary - badly directed drive, crap shot, badly directed fairway wood followed by a fluke. Easy game ain't it!!!!

dc68
14th September 2006, 11:16 AM
did you find any gold whilst you were mining?

Flowergirl
14th September 2006, 11:21 AM
Here's some shot saving advice:
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=895
The person who started the thread must have been having troubles with the shot too.

I would've thought that the handicapper could have taken your score into account if they wanted to.

Gee you'd think that after two years that the starter of that thread would have got their act together regarding lob wedges:shock: :smt002

And no the handicapper didn't get me cos not all three scores are recored on the card. Only the best two. On 2 holes I only 1 pointers and I had a wipe. So there:mrgreen:

poidda
14th September 2006, 12:44 PM
OK, I've finally got some golf in this week, and it wasn't pretty at times, but still satisfied.

Saturday - Pacific Harbour. 104. yeah, i hear ya say, how can i be satisfied with 104, but after the first 6 holes with horrid shanks, it wasn't that bad. After a bunch of beers, started relaxing and playing much better. Finished with 2 under the last 6 holes. Highlits were Driver 5 iron to 4 foot on the par 5 15th. (i think 15th) for eagle, and then 3-wood to 2 feet on 17th. So after the shanks, finished ok. And playing with 6 single markers and best score was 99 made me feel better.

Monday - Pacific. Wind and rain again. Played more consistently for an 80. Left the driver in the bag all day and concentrated on irons. Starting to swing much better. (after a few beers at lunch of course)

Tuesday - Brookwater. Was meant to play Sunday, but once we arrived it felt we were in melbourne or somewhere. Cold, wet and windy. Played Tuesday. Hit driver well, hit irons well, putted like a moron for an 85. (hence wtb add for 2-ball).

So all in all a satisfied week. One day it may all come together on the same day.

cazandpaul
14th September 2006, 03:02 PM
35 points yesterday (2 wipes, 3 one pointers:oops: ) - seem to have mental blanks every now and then (and a plugged ball one foot below the lip of a deep bunker:evil: )

Playing Holden Scramble at Burleigh on Sunday.

Grunt
16th September 2006, 03:56 PM
Well I played crap this morning, 27 points :(. Played a great chip on the 2nd hole for it to drop in for a birdie, then it all went downhill. Absolutely no luck on the front nine.
On the 4th hole right at the top of my backswing on the fairway my ball started rolling away, I did a Tiger and pulled out of my swing just as I started the downswing, was pretty impressed I did it. Playing partner said if I had not stopped I would have missed it cold as it had rolled so far.
Oh well always a down game after such a good one last week.

Onewood
16th September 2006, 05:26 PM
No Golf for Me, but I took Mitch out to play at Rowes bay.

Mitch play's off the reds on Saturday mornings and had his best round today and his first win.

58/28 net 30

The junior golf is pretty good up here (when I get Time to take him out)

1st week of the school holidays he is playing a 3 day event, in the under 8's (9 holes a day)

McMw
16th September 2006, 05:33 PM
playing the KGM Open this weekend...

shot 75 yesterday with an OOB on the last hole - made birdie with the 2nd ball for bogey...went out in 38 (+2) came back with 37 (+1)...

shot 78 this morning, with an OOB (lost ball) again on the last hole - scored double...also had a penalty drop for a wayward t shot 3 holes previous... :(
started on the 10th tee first (which no one likes), and after par/birdie start, think I got ahead of myself...played the next 7 holes in 7over... :(
made a good par putt save on 1, then parred every single hole in...with 3 very makable missed birdie putts...

score of 153 should make the cut comfortably (top 36 only) as the leader as of this morning was 145...

Flowergirl
16th September 2006, 07:57 PM
No Golf for Me, but I took Mitch out to play at Rowes bay.

Mitch play's off the reds on Saturday mornings and had his best round today and his first win.

58/28 net 30

The junior golf is pretty good up here (when I get Time to take him out)

1st week of the school holidays he is playing a 3 day event, in the under 8's (9 holes a day)

Glad to hear my favourite little Ozgolfer is going so well.:mrgreen: Nice to hear from you too Kevin. How's it all going?

Onewood
17th September 2006, 09:53 AM
Glad to hear my favourite little Ozgolfer is going so well.:mrgreen: Nice to hear from you too Kevin. How's it all going?

All is going toooo fast and missing my golf. apart from that all going well
cheers

Courty
17th September 2006, 10:07 AM
Hey Big Kev,

what happened to those regular trips up this way?
Regardless, good to hear from you.

I played in a 4BBB stroke yesterday. Quite frankly, I played rubbish. My partner (4-marker) and I posted an even par score, but within seconds of finishing we became aware of at least one score of -9. I think that means we won't win anything. :roll:

Bruce
17th September 2006, 03:49 PM
My first round on the course with the new R7 460 - Par comp at Mirboo Nth. The honeymoon period feels like I married a nympho who's dad owns a brewery. Everyone talks about their new driver being 20 yards longer and other bollocks like that but this was empirically true. The first drive was a perfect bomb to the front edge of the 280m par 4. A three-putt par and we were underway 1 up. I normally play a 6I into the second after good drive. This time I was punching in wedge. A chunk, a flub and some other crap and I walk off with a loss. Next driver hole is the 5th and I blew through the dogleg up the hill OOB. Mixed emotions on the penalty but jaysus I blew the doors off it. On the 8th I went past the landing area to the slope that feeds down into a hazard. Again a penalty shot that I was never capable of previously. Through all this a crappy short game was preventing my improved long game from posting a decent score. Turned at +1.

Then a slump for the back 9 where I started throwing my hands and had -4 until I pulled it together over the last 2 holes to finish with a total of -1. Winner had +1.

Having never been properly fitted or anything I guess I've stumbled on a good match for whatever it is I do with my swing. Thanks Pete!!

AndyP
17th September 2006, 04:21 PM
The sex and beer will dry up.

Bruce
17th September 2006, 04:33 PM
The sex and beer will dry up.

Ride it while it lasts.

AndyP
17th September 2006, 04:49 PM
17/09/2006, City GC Pro-Am, Stableford

7/14 effective T-shots.
3/18 effective approaches.
10/13 successful up and downs.
26 putts.
-----------------
9 pars.
7 bogeys.
2 doubles.
Score 37-44-81 stab 37 (Par 33-37-70)

Looks like my driver has learnt it's lesson, after I had a hit with a couple of other drivers last weekend. I was hitting it as well as I have for some time, although not overly long.

Short game was going great guns. It had to, the irons are really struggling at the moment, and I couldn't hit a green from 30m..... I think 26 putts might be a record for me.

Had some interesting bunker play today. Early success including a couple of fantastic sand saves. By the end of the round, I was struggling to get out of them with 4 shots in 2 bunkers, and still had to chip.

Overall, I'm pleased with the golf played. Definitely up on last week.

Next round: 24/09/2006, Keperra CGC, Hackers Social Group

goughy
17th September 2006, 05:20 PM
All I can say is that I have come to the conclusion that I am too fat and lazy. I need to lose weight, eat better and get fit off the course. What has this got to do with my golf. Well, 2 hours after my golf is telling me this.

AndyP
17th September 2006, 05:28 PM
I'm fat and lazy, need to lose weight, eat better and get fit off the course, but still get around a golf course fine without soreness afterwards.

You need to play more golf.

Courty
17th September 2006, 05:31 PM
I'm fat and lazy, need to lose weight, eat better and get fit off the course, but still get around a golf course fine without soreness afterwards.

Spot on, AP.

goughy
17th September 2006, 05:39 PM

I agree, about 3 hours afterwards she's kicked in. Should have stretched more. But the more golf will not be an option, so other things will have to come into play.

Maybe if I get up at 4am, I can get in some time o nthe exercise bike (better fix it tonite) and some crunchs/pushups and some stretching. Then kyan should be up at about 5, then off to work at 7.

On the other hand, bugger it.

BTW, should finally be back to 12 after today. I'm pretty sure my last hc reduction was the city gc pro-am 2 years ago. I played in your group that year andyp and I think it was one of my first outings with the pings. Was hitting it beautifully out of the trees and trouble all day. My hc was about 10.7 after that day. Since then I have played no 4bbb, have only played to my hc once, maybe a couple of times within my margin, and it has taken 2 years to get back to 12 (11.5)

AndyP
17th September 2006, 06:00 PM
Your new handicap of 12 confirmed: http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4050414238

CCR was 72, which means an new all-time low of 10.9 for me. You little rip-snorter!!! Very happy with that.
Congrats to Peter_rs on the reduction too.

goughy
17th September 2006, 06:15 PM
Geeze they took their time updating it. I looked like 20mins ago. No surprises for me in getting out to 12. Another 2 years should be 13.

No chance. Buck stops here. Even if I can't play often I can still stop the rot. Bunkers may be first.

BrisVegas
17th September 2006, 07:23 PM
city gc pro am. Abysmal. 27 points.

6 fairways
2 GIR
26 putts

McMw
17th September 2006, 07:30 PM
started today in 13th place after 75/78...
shot 77 today, 5 bogeys no birdies and managed to jump 5 spots into 8th place... :D
so won a crystal, and RM900 voucher...
plus a carry bag as a qualifier prize for the final day...
PLUS a lucky draw... :D
what a weekend!!!

77 could easily have been a 75...
went against my game plan on 17 AGAIN, made a bogey...and on the final hole, good pitch left me 5-6 ft away from an easy birdie, and I left it short!!! :(

but 3 rounds in the 70s on that course will defn be the hilite of the year for me...
that and the fact that I've collected something in the last 4 weeks of competition!!! :mrgreen: 3rd, 1st, 4th, 8th...

Flowergirl
17th September 2006, 08:25 PM
Your new handicap of 12 confirmed: http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4050414238

CCR was 72, which means an new all-time low of 10.9 for me. You little rip-snorter!!! Very happy with that.
Congrats to Peter_rs on the reduction too.

Well done Andyp. 10.9!!!!!!!!!! Woo bloody Hoo. Great putting. 26!!! Wow - I only dream of figures like that.:smt002

Played in our 4B matchplay club final today. Bit hard to focus on everything after the weekends events - but got back into the rhythm and appreciated just being able to think about only the golf. We were 2 down after the first two but won 3 and 4 to be all square. We played well the first nine but was -1 at the turn. I had to give 17 and 15 shots and they were playing like bandits!!!!!! I'd make the par and they'd bogey to square. I even had a birdie and it was only good enough for a half:-s

WE finally got to 2 up going into the 17th. Par 3 - I parred the hole - one of the girls clunked her drive, skulled her chip across the green - hit the pin - bounced in the air - hit the pin again and dropped two inches from the hole. Both of us parred - but a loss for us. So one up going into the 18th. Pressure was too much for them - I was in for 5 ( par 4 rated number 1) my partner in for 6 - they were in for 7 and 8!!!!!!!!! WE won. Yea!!!!!!!!!! My playing partner Deb is an awesome chick - and it was so good to share it with her.

The weather was beautiful. T shirt weather - blue sky and little breeze.

Speirsy11
17th September 2006, 09:48 PM
Finally a round worth mentioning.......I haven't really played since getting back from Sydney and the time away has helped get me motivated and enjoying it again.

39 pts off the stick today, nett 42........11/14 FW and 24 putts.......

Now if only I cuold bottle it and keep it for a later date.........

Flowergirl
17th September 2006, 09:55 PM
Bruce..golflink says disqualified for your Mirboo round. What happened???????

Bruce
18th September 2006, 07:52 AM
Bruce..golflink says disqualified for your Mirboo round. What happened???????

WTF!! I have no idea. Some phone calls may be in order.

Virgal_Tracy
18th September 2006, 07:54 AM
Great weekend for me 2 rounds. Was in Canberra and decided to use recipricols at Gungahlin Lakes. Nice course in really good nick after the recent rains. 4bbb Stroke event. Driving was much improved. we were 4 under after 3 holes and 3 under at the turn. Finished at -1due to bad play and bad luck Great day out though.

My 1st 4BBB Stroke event and was interested to see the scoring when you were given a 10 for the holes that you didn't score on.

Sunday played at Jim's home course at Camden VAlley. I have a good relationship with this course and came home with 40 pts. Greens had been cored and sanded so were a lottery, but any games a good game.

Must thank Jono for a tip with my driving. Straightened out the majority of drives although a straight pull left has found its way into my game. Slight adjustment and all should be good.

Toolish
18th September 2006, 08:46 AM
Last weekend was the final 2 rounds of the club champs...had 80-79 for the first 2 rounds to be 18 off the pace (I love being the highest possible handicap in A grade!!), so really out there for a hit, no chance of winning champs.

Saturday was another 79, did not make a putt all day (9 GIR, 35 putts).

Sunday had 43 on the front 9 (3 GIR, 1OOB, 17 putts), then the fun really began with 33 on the back (4 GIR, 11 Putts). Total 76 (7 GIR and 28 Putts).

Big difference between my standard play, and how i played on the back 9 was I started hitting wedges to 5 feet instead of 20, and getting up and down when I missed greens. Only made 1 putt over 7ft for the round.

10 shot swing between front and back, especially when it is a 9 hole course played twice, is massive. Just gotta work out how to dial in the back 9 for a whole round.

Results for club champs were I had 80-79-79-76-314 (playing off 9), winner plays of scratch had 73-68-67-67-275. So I played to handicap and lost by 39, which is a bit hard to take, guess I had better get to work on my game.

BrisVegas
18th September 2006, 11:22 AM
good work on playing to your handicap over 4 rounds though mate.

Flowergirl
18th September 2006, 11:47 AM

That's exactly what I was going to post. You can't do much better than that. Well - I suppose you can do better really - but what I mean is you should be satisfied with that.:mrgreen:

3oneday
18th September 2006, 11:55 AM
Having never been properly fitted or anything I guess I've stumbled on a good match for whatever it is I do with my swing. Thanks Pete!!ahhh, just ho, that's the way... none of this science rubbish ;)

:lol:

Toolish
18th September 2006, 12:44 PM

Cheers Vegas and FG...

Possibly first time I have ever had 4 rounds of 80 or better in a row.

Have been really consistent all year without having a break out round though...worst gross for the year is 83, but have not gone below 75, which i think is a pretty tight range. Just need to drop in the occasional par round or similar and I will be on the way to a lower handicap!

Flowergirl
18th September 2006, 12:54 PM
Cheers Vegas and FG...

Possibly first time I have ever had 4 rounds of 80 or better in a row.

Have been really consistent all year without having a break out round though...worst gross for the year is 83, but have not gone below 75, which i think is a pretty tight range. Just need to drop in the occasional par round or similar and I will be on the way to a lower handicap!

That's pretty consistant scoring there Toolish. Top effort.:mrgreen:

AndyP
18th September 2006, 12:59 PM
Nice final win, FG. The important question is, what prizes did you win?

Flowergirl
18th September 2006, 01:20 PM
Nice final win, FG. The important question is, what prizes did you win?

See - I told you all that AP is always nice to me.:mrgreen:
Trophies will be presented at the end of the year. Nothing flash - but hey - a win is a win.:mrgreen:

AndyP
18th September 2006, 01:25 PM
Honour board event?

Flowergirl
18th September 2006, 01:27 PM
Honour board event?

Nope......won that one last year.:-D Plan to defend the title in a few months. That's a gross event. Foursomes.

cazandpaul
18th September 2006, 03:58 PM
Holden Scramble run and WON:-D - 8 birdies, no bogies - I made some outrageous putts and a chip in - it was fun listening to the exasperation of the guys in the other group.

Next round at Colonial on 8 October.

Flowergirl
18th September 2006, 04:21 PM
Holden Scramble run and WON:-D - 8 birdies, no bogies - I made some outrageous putts and a chip in - it was fun listening to the exasperation of the guys in the other group.

Great job Paul:smt002 Good luck for the next round. Outrageous putts.......hope my new putter can give me that. At the moment "adequate" best describes my putting - and that's being kind!!

Grunt
18th September 2006, 04:57 PM

Well Played as the only OzGolfer's to make it past the qualifying stage.

shazza_rs
18th September 2006, 05:03 PM
onewood has also made it past the qualifying stage

Grunt
18th September 2006, 05:05 PM
Ok did not know that congrat to one wood as well.