PDA

View Full Version : Kids'n'golf

Jarro
19th August 2004, 06:02 PM
I have 2 little girls that are 7.5 and 4 years old. The 4 year old is showing some signs of interest towards golf .... so i'm starting to think about gently introducing her to the game. I thought maybe just a little hit in the backyard with dad to start with ... then if she is still interested, maybe get her into one of those junior clinic things they have :?

Who here has child golfers :?: and how did you get them into the game :?:

Onewood
19th August 2004, 06:04 PM
Shoved a golf stick in his hand when he was born :lol: 4 might be a bit old to start :wink: :D

goughy
19th August 2004, 06:19 PM
Really want to get jaz into it, so I can take her with me and get in more golf :wink:

She's got some plastic clubs which she drags around every now and then and hits anything which remotely looks like a ball. She's come out to the course when jaster and I have done putting practice, but only a couple of times. I want to increase this soon as weather permits. She's only 2 and a half now.

On a side note, I took her out to follow jaster for a few holes on one of his matchplay rounds at toowoomba golf club in middle ridge (in the pram, I didn't make her walk). I did this when he was playing the semi's of the city matchplay rounds and she had a ball.

Anyway, during the round one of the tmba golf club officials who was following jasters match comes up to me. First tells me that children under the age of 8 are banned from the course :shock: under any circumstances (this includes juniors at the club). When I give him the "you're kidding" response, he says that it's actually been put on hold as one member who brings his son out argued that the practice fairway is infact part of the course proper, therefore all juniors under 8 wouldn't be allowed to use it either. They wanted the under 8 juniors to only use the practice fairway. Put he seemed happy when he said they are trying to find a way to word it to allow them access to the practice fairway without letting them onto the course.

For a club supposedly with some financial problems and membership problems in the past, this sounds stupid to me, to cut off a section of your market. I know that if I wanted to bring my kids out with me I wouldn't be a member of a club that restricts this. But they've always had a snobby attitude. Some of the million dpllar members would have brought this on.

What's the general opinion of this attitude? You can guess mine.

Onewood
19th August 2004, 06:59 PM
Goughy, I would fight it :twisted: If your a member you know the rules of golf and would control your child to suit. If it's social clubs taking kids on the course you could say no, but to cut it off at an age limit is stupid :roll:

Mitchell goes to practice every saturday and he's 5 8) I take him out with me in a cart and he hits off the tee and then we pick his ball up and take it down to my drive (when I out drive him :D ) and he play's all the par 3's.
When we get in the pro's ask how did you go Mitch :P

Getting back to the topic
I took Mathew out on the course when he was 5, much the same as above 8) but what I've found with Mitchell is how he gimick's Mathews swing (being a 12 year gap :roll: ) So what I would sugest is have your kids whatch you as much as possible...driving range, back yard or a social 9 holes.....they will get bored quickly to start with...shite Mitch used to have a couple of hits and then chase ducks :D Keep taking them :wink:

goughy
19th August 2004, 07:42 PM
I remeber watching mitch chip in on a par 3 at redcliffe about a year ago. Groups playing on about 3 or 4 holes cheered him. It was cool.

I'd fight for the right to take my kids to the course too. Luckily it's not my course. Just some stuck up snobs.

Iain
19th August 2004, 08:02 PM
Goughy, that's ridiculous!! What's the harm in taking kids out to the course? They'll be paying memberships one day wouldn't they? Surely they would want to hold onto them! :roll:

Jarro, I would just listen to onewood, with Matt currently playing off 5 and who knows how good Mitchell is going to be, I think he know's what he is doing... 8)

Iain

AndyP
19th August 2004, 08:40 PM
My lad is probably a little too young to start up, but I'm sure being present at the McLeod Cup Presentations at the age of 2 months will be a lasting memory for him. :roll:

I guess I could continue to play Tiger Woods 2004 on the PS2 in front of him. And I should be able to put one of those little plastic clubs in his hands once he starts getting around.

jarro, do they have mini-R7s :?:

Pitch 'n Putts seem to be a place where kids are welcome, as well as driving ranges. :idea:

CobraSS
19th August 2004, 09:06 PM
Goughy, I would fight it :twisted: If your a member you know the rules of golf and would control your child to suit. If it's social clubs taking kids on the course you could say no, but to cut it off at an age limit is stupid :roll:

Mitchell goes to practice every saturday and he's 5 8) I take him out with me in a cart and he hits off the tee and then we pick his ball up and take it down to my drive (when I out drive him :D ) and he play's all the par 3's.
When we get in the pro's ask how did you go Mitch :P

Getting back to the topic
I took Mathew out on the course when he was 5, much the same as above 8) but what I've found with Mitchell is how he gimick's Mathews swing (being a 12 year gap :roll: ) So what I would sugest is have your kids whatch you as much as possible...driving range, back yard or a social 9 holes.....they will get bored quickly to start with...shite Mitch used to have a couple of hits and then chase ducks :D Keep taking them :wink:

i think the word you are looking for is mimic :lol:

damoocow
19th August 2004, 10:11 PM
jarro - here is the link I was meant to send you

http://www.gngf.ozevents.com/bs23-home.asp?orgid=6805&type=home

My 6 yo son has been in this for the last 2 years - it runs once a month at RQ [what a course !] - but I think they also run it at nudgee and a southside course too - rego for the yr costs about $25 and it costs approx $5 a sunday session which lasts for about 3 hours or so - it is a great deal and well coached , very kid friendly and one of the parts I like the best is that they focus on ettiquette, and the kids really treat the coaches and facilities with respect because that is what is drummed into them - especially when Charlie Earp used to get going !!! - they putt play some wedges or bunker shots and then usually go to the driving range - I can thoroughly recommend it.
damoocow

Onewood
19th August 2004, 11:30 PM
Thanks CobraSS, thats it "copies what you do" :wink: :D

Jarro
20th August 2004, 03:57 AM
thanks Moocow :)

Golfgirl
20th August 2004, 01:27 PM
Jarro - good luck with getting the kids interested in golf - they naturally are pretty interested in anything that you show an interest in, so take them down to the course's practice area, and let them have a chip and a putt.... beware the fact that in a matter of months they will putt better than you.... :roll:

We used to have Mitchell sitting in his bassinet on the side of the practice range while we practiced when he was only a few weeks old. As he got older, he started standing next to us and copying what we did. He starts playing with his golf clubs in the loungeroom from the moment he finishes brekky in the morning, and is often still at it late in the evening. He may not turn into a golfer, but so far the signs are promising. If he is still keen when he turns 4, we will start him in the JNJGF program as well as the local junior clinic. Have a chat to your local pro - he'll steer you in the right direction. :D

(alternatively, foster them out to Onewood - he seems to produce some pretty good golfers.... :D )

Andrew
20th August 2004, 02:07 PM
I've just started my son. I bought him a set of clubs (Proline Jr Star - 3w, 5i, 7i, PW, Putter) for his 4th birthday. We have a par 3 course nearby, which maybe the worst course in Sydney, but it's alright to give him a start. We play 9 holes every 2nd week & go to the driving range on the inbetween week.

We can only manage 1 hit of golf per week, as he has a busier schedule than me. :roll:

AndyP
20th August 2004, 03:24 PM
Welcome to OzGolf, Andrew. 8)
Make sure you visit the chatroom, if you get a chance.

Jarro
20th August 2004, 04:34 PM
Welcome to OzGolf, Andrew. 8)
Make sure you visit the chatroom, if you get a chance.

what he said :wink: :lol:

Onewood
20th August 2004, 09:35 PM
Welcome aboard Andrew, 8) keep us informed on the little blokes progress.....

GG, I think I've had enough with 21, 19 & 5 year olds, without adopting anymore :D

Flowergirl
21st August 2004, 09:47 AM
Welcome aboard Andrew, 8) keep us informed on the little blokes progress.....

GG, I think I've had enough with 21, 19 & 5 year olds, without adopting anymore :D

How about adopting someone a little bit "older"???? ( I sure could do with some extra coaching)

AndyP
21st August 2004, 05:41 PM
How about adopting someone a little bit "older"???? ( I sure could do with some extra coaching)
Don't you think you are being a little greedy? You seem to be improving plenty as it is. :smt045