PDA

View Full Version : hitting super low shots without a long iron.

markTHEblake
22nd September 2020, 01:48 PM
Presently I carry a 19d hot face 2 iron, which is perfect for smashing long low shots out of the trees. These days it seems thats all I use it for. But how to hit this shot if we dont have a long iron anymore?

Surely a hybrid cant be kept low enough if trying to get 150+ distance.

BobsYourUncle
23rd September 2020, 08:02 PM
Depends on the hybrid I guess, and what you define as "low". I can hit my 19 degree srixon h85 pretty low if I need to - in fact it's recently become my club of choice for punching out of/under trees. Maybe not as low as I could hit an equivalent iron, but utility irons aren't that far from hybrids these days anyway. Hands in front to keep loft down, and more of an easy, sweeping swing. Harder to keep it that low on full (200m+) shots though.

I prefer the 3h over a 3i because I can also hit it higher with more confidence if I need to over trees rather than under them.

Coopers Country
23rd September 2020, 08:27 PM
I have a 19 deg 816 H1 with a bloody heavy shaft in it and I find it very hard to hit it high actually

markTHEblake
23rd September 2020, 08:45 PM
Depends on the hybrid I guess, and what you define as "low"
low as in 1m off the ground, but still get it going 150m etc - obviously a lot of that will be roll.

I just figure that the way i hit this shot with my 2 iron, if I try it with a hybrid its just going to get up way too quickly

Coopers Country
23rd September 2020, 09:42 PM
Play it back in your stance and give it a wack

Hatchman
23rd September 2020, 09:49 PM
Play it back in your stance and give it a wack

That can actually make the ball pop up more from my vast experience punching long runners out of trees to near greens.

I find doing the opposite to that (addressing it slightly forward of where I would for a full shot) and make sure I don't swing as aggressive as with a full shot controls the height of the flight better.

3Puttpete
24th September 2020, 07:55 AM
low as in 1m off the ground, but still get it going 150m etc - obviously a lot of that will be roll.I just figure that the way i hit this shot with my 2 iron, if I try it with a hybrid its just going to get up way too quickly Blade a chipper?

PeteyD
24th September 2020, 09:37 AM
Use your driver

AndyP
24th September 2020, 10:05 AM
Use your driverBut what about the resale value!!!!!!

markTHEblake
24th September 2020, 10:08 AM
But what about the resale value!!!!!!Yours or Petes?

PeteyD
24th September 2020, 10:08 AM
Can't recall Blakey selling anything .... ;)

LarryLong
25th September 2020, 03:13 PM
I thought the correct answer was not to hit it in there in the first place?

Benje
25th September 2020, 05:01 PM
Try and hit a high shot - it will go low for sure.....

I think the sweeping half swing with follow-through is much more successful then the aggressive punch of the back foot.
Flip your wrists on the punch shot (or any of these low shots) and you are toast!

markTHEblake
25th September 2020, 05:18 PM
I think the sweeping half swing with follow-through is much more successful then the aggressive punch of the back foot.
I agree - dont have a problem with executing the cunning low shot with a long iron.

wazamac
25th September 2020, 05:21 PM
Aim for the tree trunk. If aiming at it, guaranteed not to hit it.