PDA

View Full Version : My Quest for Total Driving Improvement (and a lower cap!)

Flavzz
8th September 2020, 09:40 PM
Driver has always been my weakest club in terms of consistency and I have recently come to a low point where something needs to change. I've tried all sorts of drivers over the years (looking for a quick fix) - even no driver for a while! However I really want to have more confidence off the tee and I don't want to avoid playing a driver anymore.

If I'm honest with myself I would be lucky to hit 3-4 fairways a round on average (most of those with my 4 wood) and I can't remember the last time I hit 50% of fairways in single round. My home course pretty severely punishes you for missing fairways which is killing my handicap as generally my irons and short game are much better than my current 17.6 cap would suggest. My previous low of 11 was when I was a member of a more open course (less trees) which did not punish my errant tee shots.

Therefore I am setting a short term goal over the next 3 months to vastly improve my game off the tee and particularly improve my driver. I feel that even if I could average 50% fairways off the tee I would likely shave 4-5 shots off my cap by virtue of less recovery shots per round.

My current assessment of why I am poor off the tee:
1. Swing Tendancies
I tend to get quite far inside on my backswing and then flip it at impact (not good for consistency when hitting a driver). I think I get away with it with my irons but it shows more in my driving. I do try to counteract this with a wider takeaway and smoother transition but old habits return fast.

2. Confidence
As with anything if you suck at it for a long period of time you lose confidence leading to even worse performance. This has led to quite a bit of anxiety off the tee. I feel much more settled on second shots. I need to turn this around.

I do have a coach who I will see to make some technical swing changes and to work on the mental aspects but I'm not looking to rebuild my swing from the ground up either. This post is more for me to track my journey and keep me accountable to progress. I'll keep my fairway stats for each round moving forward so I can track the progress and report back.

I wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation and turned their driving around to make it a strength of their game? If so what what worked for you?

thecollective
8th September 2020, 09:42 PM
Flavzz: on the range try some 1/2 swings by shortening the backswing and slowing down the follow through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daves
8th September 2020, 10:05 PM
The Shark was amazingly accurate with Driver, one of the best ever. His tip/mantra "Maintain the V"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiWSGCDyLPk

Flavzz
8th September 2020, 10:06 PM
Flavzz: on the range try some 1/2 swings by shortening the backswing and slowing down the follow through. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Will do mate. I did have a hit at the range tonight and was focussing on slowing down my transition which did help a lot.

Flavzz
8th September 2020, 10:09 PM
The Shark was amazingly accurate with Driver, one of the best ever. His tip/mantra "Maintain the V"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiWSGCDyLPk Thanks mate. As my takeaway gets quite inside I bet I don't maintain this V.

Diamonds
8th September 2020, 10:15 PM
****. I could have written that. Will follow with interest.

I am off half your cap but same driver stats and lose 2-5 pills per round off the tee. The confidence of no stock driver shot is demoralizing.

Flavzz
8th September 2020, 10:41 PM
****. I could have written that. Will follow with interest. I am off half your cap but same driver stats and lose 2-5 pills per round off the tee. The confidence of no stock driver shot is demoralizing. Haha. Glad to hear I'm not alone. It's super demoralising when you don't know which way it's going.By the way my stock shot is a draw. My bad miss is a hook left or a block right.

Diamonds
8th September 2020, 10:55 PM
Haha. Glad to hear I'm not alone. It's super demoralising when you don't know which way it's going.By the way my stock shot is a draw. My bad miss is a hook left or a block right.Yep, flippy flip. Cricketers curse. Too much Mohammad Azzhuradine.

markTHEblake
9th September 2020, 07:28 AM
Go and get fit. Easy.

Flavzz
9th September 2020, 08:12 AM
Go and get fit. Easy. That is on the cards but I want to get it on the right fairway first.

wazamac
9th September 2020, 08:13 AM
My home course pretty severely punishes you for missing fairways which is killing my handicap as generally my irons and short game are much better than my current 17.6 cap would suggest. My previous low of 11 was when I was a member of a more open course (less trees) which did not punish my errant tee shots.

Your course has improved a lot re: trees. When I was a member there 15 years ago there were double the amount and no clearing of lower branches.

Agree, as I believe my weakness is off the tee too, although it is more distance related than blocks or pulls. Seeing small signs of improvement on the last round by shortening a bit and after looking at a photo of my swing. Now playing with some shafts.

BobsYourUncle
9th September 2020, 12:29 PM
My top tip is don't follow tips from amateurs on the internet, find a professional who you like and can work with, and improve your swing that way.

Although if you don't want to do that, here's my tip (:lol:): next time you're at the range, try to hit big slices that start out left of the target. I've seen your take-away, and you do get a long way inside. Put a ball about a metre behind the ball you're hitting and try to imagine taking your clubhead away over that ball.

I made a few changes earlier this year to try to hit more draws off the tee, but I've gone back to my preferred fade, I find it's much more consistent & reliable.

Flavzz
9th September 2020, 02:17 PM
My top tip is don't follow tips from amateurs on the internet, find a professional who you like and can work with, and improve your swing that way.Although if you don't want to do that, here's my tip (:lol:): next time you're at the range, try to hit big slices that start out left of the target. I've seen your take-away, and you do get a long way inside. Put a ball about a metre behind the ball you're hitting and try to imagine taking your clubhead away over that ball.I made a few changes earlier this year to try to hit more draws off the tee, but I've gone back to my preferred fade, I find it's much more consistent & reliable. Cheers BYU. I'm well aware of the risks of taking tips from you lot 😅. It's interesting you mention trying to play a fade. One of my good mates mentioned this yesterday. I'll be working closely with my coach primarily and this post is largely to track my performance but I am interested in what has worked for people in the real world. That's a good drill you mention. Will give it a go too.

Hatchman
9th September 2020, 07:52 PM
For stat tracking off the tee I prefer to focus on effective drives rather than straight out Fairways hit.
Having a full swing at your next shot from the second cut is not much different to hitting off the Fairway.
Naturally if it's buried in a thick bit of cabbage it's not effective.
This might help reduce some of the frustration that comes from not hitting the first cut much.

One big tip I can give you with swinging the big dog is make sure your leaving 1/2-1 inch of grip space from the pad of your hand to the butt of the grip. Far too many people grip it all the way to the end unconsciously trying for the big wind up arc to smash it a mile. This just results in crossing past parallel and the hands flip back instinctively to recover the lost position/shape.

Flavzz
9th September 2020, 08:26 PM
For stat tracking off the tee I prefer to focus on effective drives rather than straight out Fairways hit.Having a full swing at your next shot from the second cut is not much different to hitting off the Fairway.Naturally if it's buried in a thick bit of cabbage it's not effective.This might help reduce some of the frustration that comes from not hitting the first cut much.One big tip I can give you with swinging the big dog is make sure your leaving 1/2-1 inch of grip space from the pad of your hand to the butt of the grip. Far too many people grip it all the way to the end unconsciously trying for the big wind up arc to smash it a mile. This just results in crossing past parallel and the hands flip back instinctively to recover the lost position/shape. Good tips Hatch. Agree with your thoughts on effective drives too.

Kelsey86
9th September 2020, 08:54 PM
Agree about effective drives too. Last round I hit 8/14 fairways but had 3 or 4 missed that were still in good position for a normal second shot, so more like 11 or 12 good drives.

I used to hate hitting the driver because I'd always slice it into the trees. I bought a new one which helped, but also after a bit of research figured out my grip was weak. I changed my grip to be more neutral/slightly strong, and focused on trying to keep my hands out in front more during the initial takeaway. Now I hardly slice it at all, I also have that crappy hook when I miss but mainly with long irons and no other clubs (maybe a takeaway issue?). Driver is either straight, slight draw or a push right, but I have a lot more confidence with it now than I used to.

Flavzz
9th September 2020, 09:13 PM
Agree about effective drives too. Last round I hit 8/14 fairways but had 3 or 4 missed that were still in good position for a normal second shot, so more like 11 or 12 good drives. I used to hate hitting the driver because I'd always slice it into the trees. I bought a new one which helped, but also after a bit of research figured out my grip was weak. I changed my grip to be more neutral/slightly strong, and focused on trying to keep my hands out in front more during the initial takeaway. Now I hardly slice it at all, I also have that crappy hook when I miss but mainly with long irons and no other clubs (maybe a takeaway issue?). Driver is either straight, slight draw or a push right, but I have a lot more confidence with it now than I used to. Nice mate! I'd be stoked with more than 10 effective drives per round. I have a session with coach tomorrow so will report back.

Kelsey86
9th September 2020, 09:18 PM
Nice mate! I'd be stoked with more than 10 effective drives per round. I have a session with coach tomorrow so will report back. Cheers mate. It was my best round for a while with the driver in terms of fairways, but I often miss in spots that still allow a proper second shot. Unfortunately couldn't capitalise on those drives often enough and wound up with a ton 🤣🤣

Coopers Country
10th September 2020, 01:20 PM
I had 3 issues with my driver 12 months ago
Grip which is obviously all sticks , both hands were weak and I was to much in the palm of my right hand
a two way miss
and the third was my confidence was shot with it
Changed my grip which took away my two way miss and then my confidence has come back
Also for me I have to make sure I don’t get to quick in transition, I have tendency to not finish my backswing properly I get to quick

Flavzz
10th September 2020, 02:43 PM
Cheers mate. It was my best round for a while with the driver in terms of fairways, but I often miss in spots that still allow a proper second shot. Unfortunately couldn't capitalise on those drives often enough and wound up with a ton ������������

As you and Hatchy both noted, it's so important to have a clear line for your second shot, even if it's from the first cut.

I had 3 issues with my driver 12 months ago
Grip which is obviously all sticks , both hands were weak and I was to much in the palm of my right hand
a two way miss
and the third was my confidence was shot with it
Changed my grip which took away my two way miss and then my confidence has come back
Also for me I have to make sure I don’t get to quick in transition, I have tendency to not finish my backswing properly I get to quick

Good to hear those changes worked for you mate, two way misses are not fun. Consistent tempo whatever that may be for the individual is always a key to playing well.

Flavzz
10th September 2020, 02:53 PM
Week 1 - I caught up with my coach today for a lesson and to discuss my plan to improve my driving.

As I've been working on my takeaway I hit my first 5 drives pretty well (as you do in lessons). My tempo and takeaway were good but some analysis on the slow mo revealed a few areas for improvement. My inside takeaway is not currently an issue but I did take the club back slightly too far and would get crossed up at the top, creating a lot of work for myself to square the clubface at impact. My hips also tend to get a bit slidy through impact (another tendency I am aware of).

We worked on a few things to help this. Tried to keep the club layed off more at the top (think exaggerated feeling of Fowlers backswing as a reference). Then let the club drop and try and turn the lower body more to clear the left hip (much easier said than done). We also slightly weakened my left hand in an attempt to gain back a little club head control. I'll practice this every day for a week and report back. I did hit some good balls on the range but I will need to ingrain this if I want to see any long term gains. Turning the lower body successfully will take a lot more time I think.

thecollective
10th September 2020, 04:35 PM
but I did take the club back slightly too far and would get crossed up at the top, creating a lot of work for myself to square the clubface at impact.

Hence my 1/2 swing suggestion. Hatchy alluded to it as well, too long wind up is the most probable cause of inaccuracy with the driver.

Your sway will also improve with a shorter swing plus you will get more distance

Hatchman
10th September 2020, 04:55 PM
My best days with the big dog are always when I feel like I'm only taking a 3/4 swing when in actual fact it is a full or very near full swing and I can feel I wait for the back swing to finish before starting the down swing.
Quick/aggressive tempo and lack of hip turn is always my achilles to maintain through the course of a whole game. Quick transition = lack of hip turn.

thecollective
10th September 2020, 07:55 PM
My best days with the big dog are always when I feel like I'm only taking a 3/4 swing when in actual fact it is a full or very near full swing and I can feel I wait for the back swing to finish before starting the down swing.
Quick/aggressive tempo and lack of hip turn is always my achilles to maintain through the course of a whole game. Quick transition = lack of hip turn.

D-type M4 $329 less 15%, perfect for you

Flavzz
10th September 2020, 08:38 PM
Hence my 1/2 swing suggestion. Hatchy alluded to it as well, too long wind up is the most probable cause of inaccuracy with the driver.

Your sway will also improve with a shorter swing plus you will get more distance

Agree mate.

It's hard to resist the urge to transition quickly but it always produces a better shot when I slow it down.

Do it Hatch

Hatchman
10th September 2020, 11:32 PM

Voice inside the head is still dominating the do it, don't do it argument re: not spending money on Golf Clubs but it is quite tempting.
Under$100 Jetspeed is still going well for the limited amount I play.

Kelsey86
11th September 2020, 08:52 AM
That shorter backswing is something I find helps too. Sometimes I can see the club head in the corner of my left eye and often the shot ends up being inaccurate. On the next tee I make a point of reducing it and most times it goes pretty straight. I'm working on trying to do this every time now, which was probably behind my better driving last weekend. Playing again Sunday so I'll try to do this again and see how I go.

Hatchman
11th September 2020, 02:55 PM

Checked the site today and only Lefty available.

JADO75
11th September 2020, 10:13 PM
Checked the site today and only Lefty available. I’ve got a 10.5* D type M4 right handed

Flavzz
13th September 2020, 10:02 AM
So I played a quick 9 holes today at Thaxted focusing on those things noted in my lesson. Result was 4 of 7 fairways and more importantly 6 of 7 effective drives. I don't think I have ever hit this many fairways in 9 holes at Thaxted so definitely some encouraging signs.

Kelsey86
13th September 2020, 10:52 PM
Nice one. I focused on trying to reduce the backswing today and it worked a treat. I only hit 3 fairways but other than a hook left on the first of the day they all went more or less straight (a few ran out of fairway) and were all in a position that allowed a normal second shot. Also hit my longest drive to date at 271m. Maybe I should try this approach with all the other clubs as well and see if I get any improvement in striking.

nadg63
14th September 2020, 05:45 PM
So I played a quick 9 holes today at Thaxted focusing on those things noted in my lesson. Result was 4 of 7 fairways and more importantly 6 of 7 effective drives. I don't think I have ever hit this many fairways in 9 holes at Thaxted so definitely some encouraging signs.

That's because I wasn't there lol :)

Flavzz
14th September 2020, 05:48 PM
That's because I wasn't there lol :) Don't worry I still missed the first fairway as usual 😅

Flavzz
20th September 2020, 03:42 PM
Reasonable day today at Thaxted without being amazing. Driving was a little varied. 6 of 14 fairways hit. I think I reverted to my old habits a little but it wasn't all over the course which was good. I need to keep actively focused on the wide takeaway or I automatically take it back too far inside. Lesson learnt is I still need more reps on the range to ingrain good habits.Score: 1 Birdie, 4 Pars, 12 bogeys, 2 doubles, 1 Triple. Total 88 for 36 (20/16) points.

BobsYourUncle
20th September 2020, 07:00 PM
Reasonable day today at Thaxted without being amazing. Driving was a little varied. 6 of 14 fairways hit. I think I reverted to my old habits a little but it wasn't all over the course which was good. I need to keep actively focused on the wide takeaway or I automatically take it back too far inside. Lesson learnt is I still need more reps on the range to ingrain good habits.Score: 1 Birdie, 4 Pars, 12 bogeys, 2 doubles, 1 Triple. Total 88 for 36 (20/16) points.

What caused the doubles & triple? Was it missed fairways?

Flavzz
20th September 2020, 07:36 PM
What caused the doubles & triple? Was it missed fairways? The first double I flew the green on an approach shot, chipped then 3 putted. The triple was an errant 4 wood off the tee into hazard then a few average approaches. The second double (on the index 1 last hole no less was due to a big hook off the tee, had to chip out but to be honest was mostly due to poor approach shots from there. Overall I'd say my driving didn't severely impact my round one way or the other. My irons weren't quite on today and were more of a factor.

Hatchman
11th November 2020, 04:01 PM
Over due for an update on the progress with the Big Dog.

Flavzz
11th November 2020, 06:44 PM
I've been waiting to get a few more rounds under my belt.

Ive had a couple rounds of 6 fairways but that's about the best I've had. My progress has been slow due to a few reasons. I sabotaged my gains after my lesson by getting the G410. I was starting to show good progress with the Answer driver but in typical ho fashion I jumped on the 410 when I had the chance. The Anser has a regular shaft in it and the G410 has a stiff Ventus Red in it which I like but has altered my tempo. I haven't played the past 2 weeks either due to work and family commitments. Hoping to get some reps in and collect a bit more data over the next month.

Flavzz
30th December 2020, 05:25 PM
A few more rounds worth of data to share so thought it might be worth an update.

My last 6 rounds
8 of 14
6 of 14
7 of 14
6 of 14
9 of 14
10 of 14

I'm happy to see some progress considering I started this journey with only 3-4 fairways on average per round.

My miss tendencies are still left and I seem to struggle under pressure and hit hooks when I need to hit a fairway coming down the last few holes. I'll be working on strategies to overcome this.

I've settled for the moment in the Tensei orange stiff shaft in the driver. It has a nice swing weight to it and is not overly firm. My M5 fairway has also been good for me and is long off the tee.

I've been working on alignment mostly and just focussing on keeping balanced throughout the swing. Also trying to stay loose rather than tense up over the ball which I previously did often.

Next short term goal is to break 10+ fairways in a round. Will report back in another month.

Coopers Country
31st December 2020, 01:12 AM
Thats a great improvement Flavzz makes a round much more enjoyable walking down the fairway (so I am told anyway)

Flavzz
31st December 2020, 07:23 AM
Thanks CC. It's a strange feeling hitting off the short grass.

Flavzz
31st January 2021, 09:14 AM
I've not had many comp rounds lately but have been putting in some work on the range to try and reduce the left ball. I've been working on face to path, ie path more right to left across the ball (or at least what feels like it to me) and face slightly open. It's a very strange feeling for me to see the ball go from left to right. It's early days but hoping this might help my accuracy off the tee. Will ramp up my comp rounds over the next month and report back with my progress.

Daves
31st January 2021, 09:16 AM
I've not had many comp rounds lately but have been putting in some work on the range to try and reduce the left ball. I've been working on face to path, ie path more right to left across the ball (or at least what feels like it to me) and face slightly open. It's a very strange feeling for me to see the ball go from left to right. It's early days but hoping this might help my accuracy off the tee. Will ramp up my comp rounds over the next month and report back with my progress.

Is your left ball a straight pull?

Flavzz
31st January 2021, 09:37 AM
Is your left ball a straight pull?My typical miss is a hook or a block so not typically a straight pull. My normal shot shape is a draw. My swing is quite inside and I tend to flip the hands at impact in order to square the club face.

nadg63
31st January 2021, 10:07 AM
A few more rounds worth of data to share so thought it might be worth an update.

My last 6 rounds
8 of 14
6 of 14
7 of 14
6 of 14
9 of 14
10 of 14

I'm happy to see some progress considering I started this journey with only 3-4 fairways on average per round.

My miss tendencies are still left and I seem to struggle under pressure and hit hooks when I need to hit a fairway coming down the last few holes. I'll be working on strategies to overcome this.

I've settled for the moment in the Tensei orange stiff shaft in the driver. It has a nice swing weight to it and is not overly firm. My M5 fairway has also been good for me and is long off the tee.

I've been working on alignment mostly and just focussing on keeping balanced throughout the swing. Also trying to stay loose rather than tense up over the ball which I previously did often.

Next short term goal is to break 10+ fairways in a round. Will report back in another month.

Too much thinking going on .................... :)

Daves
31st January 2021, 10:28 AM
My typical miss is a hook or a block so not typically a straight pull. My normal shot shape is a draw. My swing is quite inside and I tend to flip the hands at impact in order to square the club face.

OK, a pull is a transition/tempo issue, for me at least.

I have a mate who has the same problem you describe. He was a rep Hockey Player and takes it way inside with a flip/flick. I try to get him to swing more upright. Set the club at the horizontal before taking it up, not back. He does OK fro a while but soon reverts. I get him to aim way right to try an allow for it. But he tends to set the back foot back (closed) and only makes it worst. He also gets quick at times and add a pull to the equation just to make it harder! He is a 20 handicapper who should be playing off low teens if he can calm/fix it. Slow it right down is probably my best tip and work/build back from there.

Flavzz
31st January 2021, 11:25 AM
Too much thinking going on .................... :)

When I'm on the course I do need to take a page out of the Nadge school of golf book and just get up and hit the ball.

OK, a pull is a transition/tempo issue, for me at least.

I have a mate who has the same problem you describe. He was a rep Hockey Player and takes it way inside with a flip/flick. I try to get him to swing more upright. Set the club at the horizontal before taking it up, not back. He does OK fro a while but soon reverts. I get him to aim way right to try an allow for it. But he tends to set the back foot back (closed) and only makes it worst. He also gets quick at times and add a pull to the equation just to make it harder! He is a 20 handicapper who should be playing off low teens if he can calm/fix it. Slow it right down is probably my best tip and work/build back from there.

Thanks Daves, I tend to work on keeping it wider going back. Likewise I do aim right but I'm getting sick of that hence why I'm trying to learn to hit fades. Hoping that this should help straighten out my natural swing over time.

wazamac
1st February 2021, 08:14 AM
When I'm on the course I do need to take a page out of the Nadge school of golf book and just get up and hit the ball.

Queue the circus theme.

Flavzz
6th February 2021, 07:39 PM
Spent some time on the 7th hole this afternoon between showers just hitting drivers. I was contending with a strong 30kph wind off the right which accentuated my normal right to left shape.

Hit 25 balls from the blue tees.
11 of 25 fairways.
17 of 25 effective.
All misses were left of the fairway.

Part way through I realised most of my strikes were off the toe. I reset my ball at address off the left of centre turbulator on the G410 which really helped centre my strikes. Hopefully I can translate this into some slightly better performance in the comp tomorrow.

Hatchman
7th February 2021, 12:47 PM
If your striking a lot from the toe you may be reaching too much at address.
Check how many hand spaces from the butt end of you club to your gut. Any more than 2 hands and your reaching. This is promoting a repeating toe strike.

While we’re on the subject of hands make sure you have 1/2”- 1” of grip free from your left hand palm pad to the end of the grip. There is always a tendency for the hands to creep up the grip resulting in the LH palm pad to sit on the butt und of the grip. Result is loss of shape at the top of the swing (club drops past parallel). To recover the hands throw back out. Pulls and toe strikes can come from this too. Speaking from plenty of experience.

Flavzz
7th February 2021, 03:49 PM
If your striking a lot from the toe you may be reaching too much at address.Check how many hand spaces from the butt end of you club to your gut. Any more than 2 hands and your reaching. This is promoting a repeating toe strike.While we’re on the subject of hands make sure you have 1/2”- 1” of grip free from your left hand palm pad to the end of the grip. There is always a tendency for the hands to creep up the grip resulting in the LH palm pad to sit on the butt und of the grip. Result is loss of shape at the top of the swing (club drops past parallel). To recover the hands throw back out. Pulls and toe strikes can come from this too. Speaking from plenty of experience. Will definitely take the spacing on the grip onboard mate. I'll check if I'm reaching for the ball. It's quite possible. This may also help me swing a little more upright and reduce the big left ball.

Flavzz
7th February 2021, 07:18 PM
This is what feels like my natural setup. I feel based on what you are saying I might be reaching a little..

BobsYourUncle
7th February 2021, 07:27 PM
Unless it's the camera angle, you look set up for a draw in that photo, particularly your lower body. Back foot is backwards and more open than the front.

Flavzz
7th February 2021, 07:36 PM
Unless it's the camera angle, you look set up for a draw in that photo, particularly your lower body. Back foot is backwards and more open than the front.

My perception is that I'm standing slightly open or neutral, but as you point out I do look slightly closed :roll: This could be part of the problem!

slim
7th February 2021, 07:37 PM
This is what feels like my natural setup. I feel based on what you are saying I might be reaching a little..
I think youre too far from the ball.
A good test of this is to simply take your right hand off the club and let it hang loose.
Then place it back on the club.
If you have to lift the hand upwards, youre too far away.
Another test already mentioned in another post is one hand span from body to butt of club.
A hand span being from thumb to tip of first finger.

Flavzz
7th February 2021, 08:18 PM
I think youre too far from the ball.
A good test of this is to simply take your right hand off the club and let it hang loose.
Then place it back on the club.
If you have to lift the hand upwards, youre too far away.
Another test already mentioned in another post is one hand span from body to butt of club.
A hand span being from thumb to tip of first finger.

Just checked and I fail both those tests. Will work on this and get my stance open at the range this week. Thanks gents.

nadg63
7th February 2021, 08:23 PM
Just checked and I fail both those tests. Will work on this and get my stance open at the range this week. Thanks gents.

You're giving me a migraine lol :D

slim
7th February 2021, 08:32 PM
Regarding your stance.
Another photo with a club on the ground touch your toes, together with a club on the ground
through your intended target line will show if you are closed.
If the club through your toes tapers in towards your target line then your feet are closed.
Only then can you ascertain how much closed or open the rest of your body (knees, hips, chest) is.
By taper I mean the end of the club nearest to your target.
If conversely, the other end tapers closer to your target line, then your open.

Flavzz
8th February 2021, 05:10 PM
Regarding your stance.Another photo with a club on the ground touch your toes, together with a club on the groundthrough your intended target line will show if you are closed.If the club through your toes tapers in towards your target line then your feet are closed.Only then can you ascertain how much closed or open the rest of your body (knees, hips, chest) is.By taper I mean the end of the club nearest to your target.If conversely, the other end tapers closer to your target line, then your open. I did a few tests today in the backyard. Took an aim point, setup as per normal. Dropped the club at my toes then placed an alignment stick at my aim point. I did this 3 times and was setup slightly closed each time. I also took a few practice swings at an imaginary ball closer to me. It feels more balanced. Will see how it goes on the range later in the week.

Benje
8th February 2021, 06:29 PM
Flavzz

some good suggestions here.

I wonder whether your centre of gravity is too much towards the ball, ie more on your toes than on your feet.
What is your balance like when you swing? Do you keep your balance, or fall into the ball?

Benje

Flavzz
8th February 2021, 06:32 PM
Flavzzsome good suggestions here.I wonder whether your centre of gravity is too much towards the ball, ie more on your toes than on your feet.What is your balance like when you swing? Do you keep your balance, or fall into the ball?Benje It would definitely be more on my toes, I can fall forward slightly after a bad swing which may be due to reaching for it. As I said, I felt much more balanced when I brought the ball towards me. Good pickup Benje.Thanks all for your suggestions.

Hatchman
8th February 2021, 08:21 PM
Flavzz

some good suggestions here.

I wonder whether your centre of gravity is too much towards the ball, ie more on your toes than on your feet.
What is your balance like when you swing? Do you keep your balance, or fall into the ball?

Benje

It would definitely be more on my toes, I can fall forward slightly after a bad swing which may be due to reaching for it. As I said, I felt much more balanced when I brought the ball towards me. Good pickup Benje.Thanks all for your suggestions.

As what Benje has mention and you've confirmed being on toes a bit often results in the dreaded Reverse Pivot. Very guilty of this myself. A lot of pulls can come from this too as the top half tries to recover the poor balance at the top and starts unwinding before any hip/leg movement. If you get over the top of it you pull it and if you get trapped behind it's a big block. The transition of top v bottom is happening in micro seconds and it's only the end result that give away what is happening.

Bit of practice on the range with alignment sticks standing a little more upright with hands in closer and weight neutral or more towards heels will have you flushing it in no time. It might feel awkward and cramped up but stick with it until it feels normal. Try to stay loose and relaxed when doing this as any tension will stop the chain of movements required. If your getting it right the results will convince.

Benje
8th February 2021, 09:27 PM
10 squats every day for a fortnight can help you with a better posture at address Flavzz.

I recognise the loss of balance, but Hatchman's explanation was more detailed than my knowledge.
High block, or low pull. I can recall resembling that.