PDA

View Full Version : 3 Wood vs. 2 Hybrid - Experiences/thoughts please...

DMG
7th September 2020, 10:39 AM
Seeking opinions/thoughts/experiences from Ozgolfers who have experimented with 3 wood vs. 2 hybrid clubs.

My story - I can't hit a 3 wood to save my life. Yes, practice is required, swing improvements are required, etc. but I really just don't like taking that club out of the bag for pretty much any lie. After finally deciding to leave it out of the bag this weekend I just pulled my 3 hybrid out instead and felt so much better about it. This got me thinking... should I look at a 2 hybrid (16-17 degree) instead of working on my 3 wood?

Your story - Go!

3Puttpete
7th September 2020, 10:47 AM
They’re both evil. 5 wood is the go

Captain Nemo
7th September 2020, 11:56 AM
They’re both evil. 5 wood is the go
100% agree or a 4 wood 8-)

noren
7th September 2020, 12:10 PM
Yep, 4/5 woods are the way to go. Won't loose to much in distance either.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DMG
7th September 2020, 12:13 PM
For some strange reason I hadn't even considered that! Thanks, will have a look into it.

Are they really that much easier to hit over a 3 wood?

PerryGroves
7th September 2020, 12:41 PM
I have never settled on a 3 wood.

I'm straighter with my driver so off the tee I don't need a 3 wood and actually prefer to choke down if I don't want to hit it as far or try and hit a cut. On lay up holes I used to hit some wild hooks with the hybrid when using a tee, now days, I don't tee it up.

I'm carrying an 18 degree and 22 degree hybrid. I play on a course where the par 5s are unreachable so I don't really lose out not having the 3 wood.

noren
7th September 2020, 12:56 PM
For some strange reason I hadn't even considered that! Thanks, will have a look into it.

Are they really that much easier to hit over a 3 wood?Personally when I struggle with my 3 wood, I swap it out with the 5 wood.

Of course if distance isn't such a factor then a 18 degree hybrid would work too. Usually the shorter the shaft, the easier to hit [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Deester
7th September 2020, 01:08 PM
Are they really that much easier to hit over a 3 wood?

Heya mate ... In my experience yes, a lot easier to elevate.

Strangely I don't get a lot of extra distance with my 3 wood at the end of the day ... But def more consistent with the 5 wood over the 3 wood.

The only time I miss having a 3 wood in the bag is for those REALLY bad driving days and using a 3 wood off the tee.

markTHEblake
7th September 2020, 01:16 PM
should I look at a 2 hybrid (16-17 degree) instead of working on my 3 wood? If you cant hit a fairway, then of course you should. I have been using long hybrids for pretty much 15 years for the same reason. When i first tried it was amazing how much difference it made. You can get so much closer to par 5's in two when the second shot is not a cold top. Currently i have a Ping 410g which after loft adjustments can be as low as 15.5d

DMG
7th September 2020, 01:28 PM
Excellent, thanks all. At least that's a few different options to experiment with!

Flavzz
7th September 2020, 03:20 PM
I use a 4 wood as it's still great off the tee and comes in higher and softer when hitting into greens. It also doesn't seem to go left on me like my hybrid does.

BobsYourUncle
7th September 2020, 03:27 PM
I use a 3 wood adjusted up to almost 4 wood loft, then a 3 hybrid. Given how little a lot of people hit fairway woods, it's not surprising they don't feel comfortable over a 3 wood. I'd also want to get on a launch monitor to see if you actually gain any distance between a 3 and 2 hybrid. Hell, even going 4h, 4i-onwards might make sense, depending on your distances and flights.

BobsYourUncle
7th September 2020, 03:29 PM
I've still got that M2 5 wood if you want to borrow it for a couple of weeks to test?

Flavzz
7th September 2020, 04:13 PM
I use a 3 wood adjusted up to almost 4 wood loft, then a 3 hybrid. Given how little a lot of people hit fairway woods, it's not surprising they don't feel comfortable over a 3 wood. I'd also want to get on a launch monitor to see if you actually gain any distance between a 3 and 2 hybrid. Hell, even going 4h, 4i-onwards might make sense, depending on your distances and flights.

I find the 4 wood, 3Hy, 4Hy 5i combo works well in terms of yardage gapping. For those that game a 4i, a 4Hy would generally go slightly further so you can play both.

wazamac
7th September 2020, 04:32 PM
All in the noggin. It sucks

thecollective
7th September 2020, 05:09 PM
DMG: what might help with the fairway wood is some practice using the driver off the deck. Takes a while to master but might help with getting the launch better with the 3/4 wood.

Also when at the range never practice using the 3wood off a tee (a tip from Arnold Palmer) always from the ground.

gameboy
7th September 2020, 05:37 PM
i had exactly that thought three months ago.
wasn't using my m5 3 wood - was just so inconsistent. the new generation of 3 woods are generally low spin so can be a bit hit and miss in the wrong-ish hands.
went to a titleist demo day and hit a 3 wood, 4ish wood (16.5) and the 17 degree hybrid.
the 16.5 won. much more consistent and really nice to hit. also did a good job with gapping.

mrbluu
8th September 2020, 07:59 AM
Seeking opinions/thoughts/experiences from Ozgolfers who have experimented with 3 wood vs. 2 hybrid clubs.

My story - I can't hit a 3 wood to save my life. Yes, practice is required, swing improvements are required, etc. but I really just don't like taking that club out of the bag for pretty much any lie. After finally deciding to leave it out of the bag this weekend I just pulled my 3 hybrid out instead and felt so much better about it. This got me thinking... should I look at a 2 hybrid (16-17 degree) instead of working on my 3 wood?

Your story - Go!Sounds like new a new putter or wedges are in order!![emoji1]

andylo
8th September 2020, 12:35 PM
I was not able to hit any 3 woods until the last 2 years or so. I have a very long history of trying different 3 woods, 4 woods, 1 or 2 hybrids, driving iron and anything I can comes up with.

If I have to summaries my experience, I will say the following are what went wrong for me:

1) Bad advises from varies people. Fellow golfers, coaches/pro, salesmen <-- yep that is kind of my own doing.
2) Badly fitted 3 woods, hybrids or driving irons
3) Consistence of impact... this one is a little more complicated. 1/2 the reason because of golf lessons/practice and 1/2 because of ill fitted equipment.

To cut my story short, the following is what I would recommended:

1) use club face impact spray or sticker to see if you have a pattern on your 3 wood impact. If you do - luck! Jump to point 4. If you don't like I did, follow point 2
2) Please consider cut down the shaft of your 3 wood to 5 wood/hybrid length. (Choke down won't work, at least I don't have the discipline to remember choke down every time)
3) Try different club heads whenever possible, when found one. Pay for and stick to it. (Currently I am using a Baldo Competizione 568 14*, literally costed me arm and then the leg. But for the sake of consistent 3w impact, it's worth it!)
4) Try different shafts until you found one that works.

and by now you should be able to find a 3 wood that will works good somehow, no matter how good/bad your swing is. Then:

5) Find a pro that YOU CAN ACTUALLY COMMUNICATE clearly, have lessons with him/her to correct your swing flaw to improve not only your 3 wood but all the rest of your clubs.

That's my story in the last 2 years. Works well for me still.

And now, I can hit tour spoon, 3 wood, hybrids of any loft, driving irons etc.... following and repeating my above steps.

Diamonds
8th September 2020, 08:49 PM
Find a Cobra Baffler 4/5 Wood. I bought one here off someone. Its a ripper. No great loss of distance over my old 3 wood but shorter and more loft makes it easier to hit consistently.

Coopers Country
10th September 2020, 12:42 PM
I hit a good 3 wood of the deck but don’t ask me the secret , it took me a while to find one I could hit and trust and I have bought another 3 but I always end up with the Callaway Xhot back in the bag . Interestingly I have tried a Titleist 16.5 and found it more difficult to hit especially of the deck . It is definitely a confidence club though , and a club that if you are driving well sometimes won’t get used for a month . I suppose after that ramble , if you can’t hit a 3 wood it’s no big deal , put something in the bag you can hit

Ferrins
10th September 2020, 02:13 PM
I putt much better when I game a 3w.

3Puttpete
11th September 2020, 08:37 AM
if you can’t hit a 3 wood it’s no big deal , put something in the bag you can hit Or just leave it out. 14 is the maximum allowed, not minimum required.

markTHEblake
11th September 2020, 12:26 PM
Did you replace yours with a chipper

3Puttpete
11th September 2020, 02:52 PM
Did you replace yours with a chipper Only for 1 champs and I bladed it as far as a 3 wood Most of the time

markTHEblake
11th September 2020, 03:54 PM
I am thinking of doing the same.

3Puttpete
11th September 2020, 07:02 PM
I am thinking of doing the same. As long as you allow for lack of spin when hitting into greens from 170 you shouldn’t have a problem.

markTHEblake
11th September 2020, 07:07 PM
No i meant using a chipper for chipping, and blading them as far as a 3w instead.

3Puttpete
11th September 2020, 10:06 PM
No i meant using a chipper for chipping, and blading them as far as a 3w instead. Me too. A bladed chipper will go miles

peter_rs
13th September 2020, 03:42 PM
I was not able to hit any 3 woods until the last 2 years or so. I have a very long history of trying different 3 woods, 4 woods, 1 or 2 hybrids, driving iron and anything I can comes up with.

If I have to summaries my experience, I will say the following are what went wrong for me:

1) Bad advises from varies people. Fellow golfers, coaches/pro, salesmen <-- yep that is kind of my own doing.
2) Badly fitted 3 woods, hybrids or driving irons
3) Consistence of impact... this one is a little more complicated. 1/2 the reason because of golf lessons/practice and 1/2 because of ill fitted equipment.

To cut my story short, the following is what I would recommended:

1) use club face impact spray or sticker to see if you have a pattern on your 3 wood impact. If you do - luck! Jump to point 4. If you don't like I did, follow point 2
2) Please consider cut down the shaft of your 3 wood to 5 wood/hybrid length. (Choke down won't work, at least I don't have the discipline to remember choke down every time)
3) Try different club heads whenever possible, when found one. Pay for and stick to it. (Currently I am using a Baldo Competizione 568 14*, literally costed me arm and then the leg. But for the sake of consistent 3w impact, it's worth it!)
4) Try different shafts until you found one that works.

and by now you should be able to find a 3 wood that will works good somehow, no matter how good/bad your swing is. Then:

5) Find a pro that YOU CAN ACTUALLY COMMUNICATE clearly, have lessons with him/her to correct your swing flaw to improve not only your 3 wood but all the rest of your clubs.

That's my story in the last 2 years. Works well for me still.

And now, I can hit tour spoon, 3 wood, hybrids of any loft, driving irons etc.... following and repeating my above steps.

Welcome back andy

Jarro
13th September 2020, 03:54 PM
Welcome back andyIndeed !!
[emoji41][emoji106][emoji466]