PDA

View Full Version : FLINDERS gc Mornington pen..,

supo67
28th August 2020, 10:21 AM
gents,
i presume this has been played or membered by someone here?
looks pretty good , need some thoughts on memberhsip here , have a bud whos moving down that way eventually.
or other options similar ??

cheers
stew

flathook
28th August 2020, 04:07 PM
gents,
i presume this has been played or membered by someone here?
looks pretty good , need some thoughts on memberhsip here , have a bud whos moving down that way eventually.
or other options similar ??

cheers
stew
Beautiful place to play golf on a nice day. Would regularly be battling the wind. Good 18 holes but the quality of golf is a bit behind some of the other courses down there. I believe it has a strong connection to Royal Melbourne with lots of holiday houses. That couldn't hurt for an invitation!
National is the creme de la creme with 4 world class courses but expensive. Other options that are more affordable are Rosebud and Devilbend and slightly less weather affected as they are not as exposed.
But if you can't enjoy your golf down there you just don't enjoy golf!!! I'm very jealous.

petethepilot
30th August 2020, 04:16 PM
Stew,
if he is only an occasional player, hard to pass St Andrews Beach...unless you are hungover in summer...remember!

thecollective
31st August 2020, 11:48 AM
Stew: I would strongly recommend Flinders for someone new to the area.

StAB is a great course but it's pretty full on; not a track I would want to play all the time and super hard on the legs. I would start at a course like Flinders that is a little easier, then you could always move onto StAB or even The National if money is not a concern

Rosebud would also be a decent option. Solid but certainly not as good as its neighbours

The Dunes is also worth a look.

Just be careful at Flinders when playing the opening holes, you can get easily startled by a very loud machine gun going off at the Naval base across the road, it was an eye opening moment for me.

petethepilot
31st August 2020, 08:30 PM
TC, Stew has played StAB with me ...admittedly, the day after a big wedding (in the middle of a melb summer). He hasn’t said how good a player this guy is or how cashed up. If he is used to Jap prices, the Nash will be considered cheap! Flinders is a great little track to play at if it is close by.

thecollective
31st August 2020, 09:53 PM
TC, Stew has played StAB with me ...admittedly, the day after a big wedding (in the middle of a melb summer). He hasn’t said how good a player this guy is or how cashed up. If he is used to Jap prices, the Nash will be considered cheap! Flinders is a great little track to play at if it is close by.

Well why didn’t you say so Winston, spare me the pity of a middle class course, off to the Nash it is then, tally ho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supo67
3rd September 2020, 11:18 AM
good god.. THAT day at ST Ab was .......character building" i think i was still off chops till mid day.
i love that track but it beats the hell outta me every time , some o the holes are almost unplayable in a decent wind but i just love it.
i mentioned the national and am pushing hard for the national bec then i can play the national IF im ever allwoed home again!
i think flinders is on the radar bec of proximity to his new digs but as i said we travel 150-250 km every weekend to hit a white ball and extra 15 mins isnt even a rounding error! join the bloody national!!!!!!

supo67
3rd September 2020, 11:24 AM
ok so as a rough estimate of rating
national by a mile it seems

then in what kinda order ?

hes a solid mid/low 80s
prefers a decent vista to out and out prettiness on track hence why he thought flinders was aces. must say it gets my attention as well right on the sea

thecollective
3rd September 2020, 03:28 PM
Supo: National is the obvious pick, budget permitting

I would personally start with Flinders, it's a lovely course and all the members I met were very friendly. You could always move to Nash in the coming years

Portsea might also be worth looking at, although you have to add a bit more travel to get there