PDA

View Full Version : Free Mkv to DVD software???

goughy
15th August 2020, 08:18 AM
Does anyone know of a good program to do this? Want to burn some dvd's for my dad (there's a reason they're not getting a usb stick). Any of the programs I can find as usual drop a watermark into it. If there's nothing decent free I'll just pay a licence for one of them, but thought I'd ask first.

henno
15th August 2020, 10:30 AM
MKV is just a container, although it is most likely that it is encoded in H.264 (although not at all a given).
This means you will need to re-encode (transcode) the files, which take a lot of time and computer grunt. Which you might be ok with.

With that said, a lot of DVD players can play H.264 natively these days so you might be able to simply drop the file onto a DVD (the format, not a video) and have it play. I'd be checking that first, as that would be the path of least resistance.

I can't really recommend a Windows program, but my google-fu tells me ConvertXtoDVD is commonly used. Tried that?

goughy
15th August 2020, 11:29 AM
Hadn't heard of it, but will check, thanks. My parents have an oldish DVD player so want to convert it into regular format (video ts, whatever) for them. I found a couple that seem ok but need licences, bit I'm doing a handful at once so if I have to pay $10 I will. The stuff I'm doing you can't buy originals anymore so a few bucks isn't a bank breaker. But if a free way will work, that's cooler.

hippo10
17th August 2020, 07:52 AM
Tried Handbrake?