PDA

View Full Version : New Nike Sumo

heggie
8th September 2006, 03:33 PM
I' m speachless, check out the photos. First the Hibore and now this on the way, things are getting interesting in the driver game now that size has been limited

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49346

Choppa
8th September 2006, 03:39 PM
Got a pic for those of us who don't wish to register at golfwrx??

3oneday
8th September 2006, 03:40 PM
I think duckhead (whereever he may be) brought this up recently. Another club struck by the ugly stick.

andylo
8th September 2006, 03:44 PM
8|

Holy muther f%^& s&*( b&*( piece of s&*(

(with a bunch of chinese swearing word following)

I pretty much can gurantee this is the driver I would NOT HO!!!

PeteyD
8th September 2006, 03:54 PM
Even if it goes 10 yards further tha nthe Hi Bore?

BrisVegas
8th September 2006, 04:04 PM
I pretty much can gurantee this is the driver I would NOT HO!!!

where's miro??? this is something worth betting on! Andylo will have one of these within a month of them hitting the market. :mrgreen:

3oneday
8th September 2006, 04:17 PM
C'mon andy, you know you wanna ;)

Want me to find out when ???? ;)

Courty
8th September 2006, 04:25 PM
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/uploads/post-11-1157143749.jpg

Courty
8th September 2006, 04:28 PM
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/uploads/post-11-1157143747.jpg

Courty
8th September 2006, 04:29 PM
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/uploads/post-946-1157673119.jpg

Courty
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/uploads/post-11-1157143751.jpg

Jarro
that has to be, the ugliest piece of shit that i've ever seen.

How the hell can Duckman defend that :roll:

Courty
8th September 2006, 04:32 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sick016.gif

andylo
8th September 2006, 04:40 PM
C'mon andy, you know you wanna ;)

Want me to find out when ???? ;)

Com'on... you can do better than that

;) :D

McMw
8th September 2006, 04:42 PM
might help tiger find a fairway!!!

andylo
8th September 2006, 04:44 PM
might help tiger find a fairway!!!

By putting a radar golf detector in there?

http://www.intheholegolf.com/store/radargsys.html?gtse=goog&gtkw=radar%20golf

goughy
8th September 2006, 04:46 PM
I don't know if ducky has seen it yet. He was asking for pics the other day on golfwrx. Maybe he won't be defending it (yeah right goughy)

andylo
8th September 2006, 04:49 PM
Or he couldn't get over the ugly look of the SUMO and choke himself dead : P

;)

Jarro
8th September 2006, 04:52 PM
I wonder if Tiger himself will use it ?

McMw
btw - why is this in tour talk??? :wink:

andylo
By the way why this thread is not in Equip Me but in Tour talk?

andylo
8th September 2006, 04:53 PM
Ah... Mau beats me : p

3oneday
8th September 2006, 04:54 PM
It must have a low profile, or they are cheating again with that crap on the back. How could that be only 460CC ???

It is Tour only at this stage fellas ;)

Jarro
8th September 2006, 04:58 PM
btw - why is this in tour talk??? :wink:

fixed ;)

Falcon
8th September 2006, 05:15 PM
I wonder if Tiger himself will use it ?

Tiger started with the SQ MAX and is now back to the SQ TOUR which is a different shape altogether.

Any self respecting golfer should be embrassed to rely on this as your driver. :smt087

I know I would be.

kwantfm
9th September 2006, 08:52 AM
I had thought that the governing bodies had limited the moment of inertia of golf clubheads and that the SQ was at the maximum already...

Falcon
9th September 2006, 02:56 PM
I believe your refering to the COR aka.. Coefficient of Restitution.

MOI is a completely different thing, but i'll be buggered if I know what the difference is :D

3oneday
9th September 2006, 03:50 PM
I believe your refering to the COR aka.. Coefficient of Restitution.

MOI is a completely different thing, but i'll be buggered if I know what the difference is :Dno, he would be referring to MOI ;), there was talk that the SQ had the highest MOI ever of any driver, and they would not allow any higher.

How do they measure MOI ?? buggered if I know, but the brick is supposed to be even higher, apparently ?

kwantfm
9th September 2006, 05:12 PM
I did mean MOI... I thought there was an upper limit but I had heard that this has been increased(??). It means that things this ugly come out to play.

COR is no longer determined for driver heads. Instead "Characteristic Time" is determined for clubface springiness.

Spalding
9th September 2006, 11:33 PM
Guys,
MOI is a combination of COR and cc of the club. We have now reached the max legal COR .830 and cc of the head. The only variable to this is the shaft and the way it is profiled orientated and inserted and then how much it twists and turns at impact. Any company who states that their driver is more forgiving, longer etc etc etc is just playing with you. The only difference now is to change the shape within the COR and cc and Nike have done that with the new one and it will be great to hear what users have to say on the product. We no doubt will be subject to some other radical shapes as all the other manufacturers come up with their own spin offs ala triangles, circles glass headed etc etc etc, interesting times ahead.

kwantfm
10th September 2006, 09:12 AM
Spalding... what do you mean by "MOI is a combination of COR and cc of the club"???

Moment of inertia is the integral of mass multiplied by the square of the distance between the mass point and the axis around which you are measuring the moment. I don't think it has anything to do with COR although it should have a strong (although non-linear) relationship with clubhead volume.

Spalding
10th September 2006, 09:45 AM
Sorry Kwantfm - It wasn't supposed to sound like that, what I was getting at was the new (as of March) Moment of Inertia ruling which is that all drivers are limited to a max COR and cc (size & volume). I know MOI is a measurement of an objects resistence to being placed in motion, didn't mean to confuse things.

kwantfm
10th September 2006, 03:10 PM
Cool... thanks for the clarification... so effectively there is no specific MOI measurement limit??

Moe Norman
11th September 2006, 11:09 PM
where's miro??? this is something worth betting on! Andylo will have one of these within a month of them hitting the market. can you define what a month is in advance? ;)

3oneday
11th September 2006, 11:32 PM
can you define what a month is in advance? ;)can there be a draw ?, maybe on the last day of the month when the moon sets in the west ;)

:lol:

Courty
22nd April 2007, 10:17 AM
I had a hit with one of these on the course yesterday (Nike Sumo Squared with Diamana blah blah blah) during my round. One of my playing partners had been given one to try, but hadn't hit it due to the sheer ugliness.

I made a nice easy swing with the first ball. Caught it a little below centre, and it went straight, but a little low (as you would expect). Distance was nothing impressive (in fact, 20m short of the drive I had just crushed with my 510TP).

I went after the 2nd ball, and absolutely nutted it dead centre. It had a nice high but flat trajectory with a slight draw, but still ended up shorter than my 510TP.

It's hard to comment on forgiveness seeing I only hit it twice, and got both of them within a Jarro's dick of dead centre.

One thing that I could just not handle was the SOUND! :shock: Holy crap! It was downright emabrrassing how loud the thing was! It sounded like an empty baked-bean tin! The other guys with me just about shat themselves when I hit the 2nd ball.

I admit I had a very limited experience with it, but I'm afraid there was nothing about this club which made it even remotely tempting.

Jono
22nd April 2007, 11:04 AM
One thing that I could just not handle was the SOUND! :shock: Holy crap! It was downright emabrrassing how loud the thing was! It sounded like an empty baked-bean tin! The other guys with me just about shat themselves when I hit the 2nd ball.

I admit I had a very limited experience with it, but I'm afraid there was nothing about this club which made it even remotely tempting.

I agree with you Courty. With the Sumo2, it's a clear case of the bark being much worse than the bite. I'm wondering whether Nike designed the head to have such a "unique" sound. You can sell the Sumo2 sound a mile away.

Ducky
22nd April 2007, 06:30 PM
Did you hit the revised Sumo² or the recalled Sumo²?

Was it a genuine Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana or a Nike Diamana?