PDA

View Full Version : WDYSTM - August 2020

JoeS
2nd August 2020, 10:41 AM
29 points yesterday in near perfect conditions.All scores that came in seem to be pretty average though.Couldnt hole a putt on the front 9,or the back.Had 34 putts for the day.
Had a hi light though on the 4th.Hit 3 wood right up onto a ledge in the trees.Second shot was a 6 iron 154m with a water carry at the front of the green.Landed it centre green about 15feet

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

NewyMitch
2nd August 2020, 11:20 AM
36 points this morning 21/15.

Really good front nine played to 3 over off the stick. The back nine had some wobbles but managed to limp home with 36 points.

Ballstriking was much better and the short game wasn't too bad (for me).

Flavzz
2nd August 2020, 06:22 PM
Stroke round at Thaxted yesterday 44 out 47 in for a nett 81 after having a Bryson moment on the Par 5 14th, and no it was not a 350m drive. 1st shot OB right. 3 off the tee left into the water hazard. 5th shot right rough and so on. 2 putted for a 10. Good times.

Ferrins
2nd August 2020, 06:32 PM
Played 36 holes today in the club foursomes champs. We hit 3 GIR and 3 putted 2 of them.🤡🤡

JADO75
2nd August 2020, 07:02 PM
Monthly Medal from the plates at Penrith, 3 over off the beater 75

Dcanto
3rd August 2020, 05:32 PM
City of Cairns 2020 Recap:-
Round 1: 87 net 74
Round 2: 85 net 72
Round 3: 85 net 72

After only scoring 27 points at Mirage Country Club in the Thursday CoC warm-up I wasn't feeling a great deal of confidence. Thankfully I managed to put 3 consistent rounds together and played well enough to be in the first of the seeded B grade groups for the final round. Struggled a bit on the back nine on Sunday but held it together well enough to play to my handicap. Ended up finishing 4 shots off the gross winner but happy to have had 3 solid rounds with no major blow-outs.

The course was in fantastic condition and the greens were quicker than anywhere I have putted on in a long time. Windy conditions also added to the challenge. It was great to catch up with 3PuttPete, Benno_r, Peter_rs, SundayHack and Toddy, as well the FNQ crew.

jimandr
3rd August 2020, 05:50 PM
27 points for me today, but I'm not in total despair.

I doubt that I'll ever play a round like this again.

Here's some Bushy style stats to explain.

14 fairways out of 14. Not all of them struck well but all were straight.
5 greens in reg. Not too bad, and none of the missed greens were too far away.
38 putts, and the stat becomes worse due to the next line.
1 of 13 up and down opportunities. Zero of 10 from 4 to 10 feet. I kept missing the putt. All day. I either missed them right or missed them left, or hit them the wrong speed, or misread them.

So, I've had 27 points, without a double bogey. I'm sure I've never done that before.

blurry
3rd August 2020, 08:19 PM
39 points on Sunday at Penrith. 76 off the stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucasto23
4th August 2020, 07:52 PM
Monthly medal on Saturday and a 2 over 68 saw me win my first one since 2013 by a shot. Was very generous of the leader/green keeper to let me know what I needed in On the 15th hole before I 3 jagged [emoji15]. Then played the last 3 in 1 under with the final putt needing one more roll for another birdie.

handicap back to 7 flat and hopefully tapering down some more with regular play. Playing golf with 7 beers in you is great [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Dcanto
4th August 2020, 09:00 PM
Monthly medal on Saturday and a 2 over 68 saw me win my first one since 2013 by a shot. Was very generous of the leader/green keeper to let me know what I needed in On the 15th hole before I 3 jagged [emoji15]. Then played the last 3 in 1 under with the final putt needing one more roll for another birdie.handicap back to 7 flat and hopefully tapering down some more with regular play. Playing golf with 7 beers in you is great [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] Well done, Lucas.

Lucasto23
4th August 2020, 09:48 PM
Well done, Lucas.

Thanks mate

WBennett
5th August 2020, 01:30 PM
Midweek Medal. It was freezing this morning, real feel barely above minus 5 and a 40k wind.

Started ok, putted well, had 41 around the front, then leaked oil the last five to drop 8 shots and shoot nett 74.

jimandr
5th August 2020, 05:15 PM
Move to the sunny North Coast, WB. A lovely 24 degrees here today.

Another miracle took place on the course for me today. I really concentrated on not moving my head and shoulders in front of the ball, and suddenly, I found the middle of the club again. A totally honest 36 points for me, my best round in three months.

There were still a few bad ones, and I never really felt confident, but I hit enough good shots to turn it into a score.

BobsYourUncle
6th August 2020, 11:45 AM
Terrible off the tee today - 4 fairways, 4 GIRs - but chipped well and sank a bunch of long putts for a 79 (35 points). Seemed like the only putts I missed were the ones for birdie...

WBennett
6th August 2020, 08:54 PM
Midweek Medal. It was freezing this morning, real feel barely above minus 5 and a 40k wind.Started ok, putted well, had 41 around the front, then leaked oil the last five to drop 8 shots and shoot nett 74. Beaten for medal on countback. It was a tough day

Dcanto
6th August 2020, 09:12 PM
Beaten for medal on countback. It was a tough day Good effort, Wayne. Pity it came down to a countback.

Lucasto23
6th August 2020, 09:54 PM
Midweek Medal. It was freezing this morning, real feel barely above minus 5 and a 40k wind.

Started ok, putted well, had 41 around the front, then leaked oil the last five to drop 8 shots and shoot nett 74.

Well played [emoji1648], you will get them next time

WBennett
6th August 2020, 11:05 PM
Good effort, Wayne. Pity it came down to a countback. Lesson learned. Don't leave yourself sidehill 5 to 8 footers on slick greens.You miss 3 for every one you make.

shazza_rs
8th August 2020, 01:39 PM
43 points (39-34– 73) (37-29 par 66 at the moment)
2 birdies
8 pars
7 bogies
1 double
30 putts

Back to back birds on 12 and 13 (both par 5’s) was the highlight today.

Putted really bad at Mount Coolum so took the alignment putting board out to the backyard putting green for a tune up. Pete fixed one small problem and I putted really well today. The 30 putts included the ones from just off the green too.

AndyP
8th August 2020, 02:03 PM
Well done, Shaz.

Lucasto23
8th August 2020, 02:44 PM
Great work Shazam’s, always knew you are the best golfer in your household

Matt 3 Jab
8th August 2020, 07:34 PM
Finally got my grip sorted and drove the ball ok.

Day didn't start well, hit 2 iron off the first tee, and the head flew off the shaft down the path. Ball went fine. 2 iron benched after 1 shot.

Guess that's what I get for using 80's blades I didn't build.

R510TP was obviously the GOAT. Was getting past a mate who usually gets it past me.

Orlimar blades were pure. Hit the flag from 120m out which actually stuffed me. I missed 2 X 3 footers as well. Should have been -4 the back 9.

Regardless I'll take the 75 and be happy with a decent round for once.

12/14 fairways
13/18 greens
33 puttshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200808/5f1772712f97ce14aced1434d5d45951.jpg

oldracer
8th August 2020, 07:43 PM
well done DC, saw u were a quiet achiever at CoC

Kelsey86
10th August 2020, 08:30 AM
Windaroo yesterday with the social club, hit 97, 70 nett. Quite a nice course, well maintained and really enjoyed the greens too. Only hit 4 fairways however they're quite narrow so most of the misses were still in good position for the next shot. Ball striking was mostly ok, just off line at times with approaches but it's nice to get some consistency with contact. Highlight for the day was sinking a putt around 8 or 9 metres long, and hitting my longest drive to date at 261m, the approach hit the green as well.
Next round on Friday at Oxley for my third handicap round, public holiday here so figured I'd take the opportunity.

jimandr
10th August 2020, 05:35 PM
For the second time in a week, I have recorded a low score without missing a fairway. 26 points today. Driving is so over-rated.

I really don't want to talk about my 7 three-putts. I'm thinking about going cross-handed, but that doesn't seem to be working for J Spieth, so I'm not sure.

Kelsey86
10th August 2020, 10:30 PM
I usually find my lower scores off the stick coincide with being more accurate off the tee, with a couple of exceptions.

WBennett
12th August 2020, 01:35 PM
Course reopened today after being closed due to significant flooding.

31 points summed up how nothing happened - 3 doubles and a triple on the front for 13, then a solid 18 points around the back.

Greens were about 2 foot slower than what they had been. It took until 18 to get a putt past the hole on the high side.

Pennant semi this weekend coming up at Yass - here is hoping their course is ok after they copped over 200mm last weekend. Poor Goulburn GC was under 2-3 foot of water and is going to be closed for weeks.

jimandr
12th August 2020, 04:51 PM
Thankfully for me, normal golfing service has been resumed. 35 points today, with my short game having returned.

The ball striking wasn't great, but I could see the right chip shots to hit, and for the most part executed them. I had 40 putts on Monday, and 28 today.

Kelsey86
14th August 2020, 08:33 PM
Had my third handicap round at Oxley today, much improved from the first two with 87 this time. I hit 39 on the front 9 (+4), but started getting a bit tired and dropped off a bit on the back. Had a nice little run after a double bogey on the first, with five pars and a birdie on the 4th, courtesy of hitting five greens. Didn't hit one green on the back 9. This is one area of my game I'm looking to improve, as it clearly helped lower my score on the front. I've been striking approach shots well, just not always directed well. For most of the front they were and it was a good feeling.

Also 5/14 fairways and 32 putts.

shazza_rs
14th August 2020, 10:35 PM
32 points for me today. Back to normal programming.

4 pars
10 bogies
1 dub
1 other

Courty
15th August 2020, 02:05 PM
36pts with a slut and a 4-putt wipe :roll:

shazza_rs
15th August 2020, 04:46 PM
77/65 today (Par is 66)

1 bird
9 pars
5 bogies
2 doubles
1 other

I had two 3 putts today. Both lipouts 🙄
Lots of par 3’s to save the score today. I’ll be hopeless when we play the other course next week

Flavzz
15th August 2020, 07:07 PM
83 off the stick for 36 points at Stirling GC today. This was good enough for 3rd in B grade. Played reasonable, putted quite well. Driving was rubbish. I also chipped in on 16 for a birdie.

The winner had 47 points off 16... Weather consisted of patchy rain but very little wind and temperature was quite comfortable.

JADO75
15th August 2020, 07:08 PM
Passive brag alert
42 pts off 5hcp at Penrith
5 birds
1 under off the stick
Went under par for my first time ever. Shot even a handful of times but never under. I know it’s only a game of golf but I had tears in my eyes trying to make my putt on the 18th for 1 deep.

Flavzz
15th August 2020, 07:10 PM
Passive brag alert42 pts off 5hcp at Penrith 5 birds1 under off the stick Went under par for my first time ever. Shot even a handful of times but never under. I know it’s only a game of golf but I had tears in my eyes trying to make my putt on the 18th for 1 deep. Brilliant mate, congrats!

blurry
15th August 2020, 07:11 PM
Passive brag alert
5 birds
1 under off the stick
Went under par for my first time ever. Shot even a handful of times but never under. I know it’s only a game of golf but I had tears in my eyes trying to make my putt on the 18th for 1 deep.

Well done legend

shazza_rs
15th August 2020, 07:38 PM
Passive brag alert
5 birds
1 under off the stick

Awesome!

Matt 3 Jab
15th August 2020, 07:48 PM
Passive brag alert
5 birds
1 under off the stick
Went under par for my first time ever. Shot even a handful of times but never under. I know it’s only a game of golf but I had tears in my eyes trying to make my putt on the 18th for 1 deep.Well done mate!!!! Awesome play!!

Matt 3 Jab
15th August 2020, 07:49 PM
I started well

And then limped home

My putter felt rotten most of the day. Shouldn't have changed! Back to the blade
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200815/b9663b3169db5e193e597ca7fbd14af6.jpg

Captain Nemo
15th August 2020, 08:27 PM
5.49 #tractor

Captain Nemo
15th August 2020, 08:29 PM
Passive brag alert
5 birds
1 under off the stick
youve had a great round, now reply to your pm, lol

henno
15th August 2020, 10:20 PM
Monthly medal today. A couple of firsts for me, of the wrong kind: I five-putted a hole, and had four greenside bunker shots on another (two different bunkers).

A par after a textbook hosel rocket was pretty nice though.

Sookie1
16th August 2020, 09:11 PM
I sooked out yesterday as I'm buggered if I play in the rain. Got out for first round of pennant though today. Beautiful day and walked off with a win so happy days.

SundayHack
17th August 2020, 09:13 AM
76. 41points. I was under or level par for most of the round until I choked coming home. Had my best ever 9 holes to finish the front in -2. First time shooting back to back rounds in the 70s.

WBennett
17th August 2020, 09:17 AM
Semi final of handicap pennant out at Yass yesterday. They had 6 inches of rain in the last week, so there was a bit of pot luck with approaches and pitching on the sodden kikuyu.

Had to give 2 shots away, and played like a complete potato for the front 9. Thankfully the two pars I made won holes, and I turned two down and felt like it should have been way worse.

I topped my drive on 10, topped my second, and hadn't made it to his tee shot by the time I played my third. Put a sand wedge to 8 foot, and squared the hole from nowhere. Then won 11, and was back in it. Squared 12 giving away a shot and made a tap in par on 13 to square the match.

14 is a 270m uphill 4 - my tee shot hit a tree on the outside of the hole and fired backwards 80m to be in the mud and blocked out, and still 170m away and dead. My opponent was 70 short, middle of the fairway and in perfect position. I tried getting driver to the green off the deck, and caught the overhanging branch leaving 90m to go - I put it to 8 foot under the hole and was still in with a chance. My opponent was 10m away from the green in two, then chilli dipped and then thinned his next through the green and rolled 15m off the gree. An almost certain loss became a win, and I won the next two with pars to finish a miracle comeback and win 3 and 2. We won the match 6-1 overall and are now in the Grand Final.

Matt 3 Jab
17th August 2020, 09:37 AM
76. 41points. I was under or level par for most of the round until I choked coming home. Had my best ever 9 holes to finish the front in -2. First time shooting back to back rounds in the 70s.Flusha! Great round mate

okitoki
17th August 2020, 11:52 AM
still struggling to play; played the club cham on saturday and the first 3 holes I was 11 over already made the day kind of a write off. Mostly from a combination of stupid play and bad luck (like chipping out only to catch a small branch and bounced back behind a tree)
Concentrated on my swing instead after... putting was good on the day with only 1 3putts. 2nd 9 was a little better as my up n down game was better than the week before... had a triple bogey on the 18th because I topped my 2nd shot and went long on the 4th shot with a 3 putts giving me a disappointing triple bogey at the end.
51/43 for a 81 nett :(

AndyP
17th August 2020, 12:03 PM
16/08/2020, Jindalee GC, Social Nine.

Stats: 2/6 fairways, 0/9 greens, 18 putts.
Score (https://www.gamegolf.com/player/AndyP/round/2946002): XBXXPXBXB; 48 (+15).

Well done to all the great scores this month.

I played terribly, but was happy to be out there for the first time in 10 weeks following my hip operation. Besides the drive on the first, and the ninth, there was nothing positive from my golf game to report on, with five of the nine holes double bogeyed or worse. I think I might hold off on playing 18, until I play a bit better.

As for the hip, there were no major issues, with just one shot where my adductor seemed to grab.

Next round: Yet another round at Jindalee next Sunday.

Lucasto23
17th August 2020, 04:43 PM
It’s not you Andy, Royal Jindalee kicks you in the teeth when you miss the greens

jimandr
17th August 2020, 05:09 PM
Congrats to those posting personal bests. I've gone under par once, and the last time I went even par (I've done that 3 times) I birdied the last to get there, so no nerves were in play.

Slight nerves for me today coming up the last, as I needed par for 36, but I choked for a bogey and 35. I'm happy with that. I played well and putted well when I was putting for pars, but didn't putt so well for birdies. Twice on the par 3's I hit great shots to within 5 feet, but missed both of them. No nearest the pins, so my great shots had nothing to show for them.

MAZA68
17th August 2020, 06:58 PM
Semi final of handicap pennant out at Yass yesterday. They had 6 inches of rain in the last week, so there was a bit of pot luck with approaches and pitching on the sodden kikuyu.

Had to give 2 shots away, and played like a complete potato for the front 9. Thankfully the two pars I made won holes, and I turned two down and felt like it should have been way worse.

I topped my drive on 10, topped my second, and hadn't made it to his tee shot by the time I played my third. Put a sand wedge to 8 foot, and squared the hole from nowhere. Then won 11, and was back in it. Squared 12 giving away a shot and made a tap in par on 13 to square the match.

14 is a 270m uphill 4 - my tee shot hit a tree on the outside of the hole and fired backwards 80m to be in the mud and blocked out, and still 170m away and dead. My opponent was 70 short, middle of the fairway and in perfect position. I tried getting driver to the green off the deck, and caught the overhanging branch leaving 90m to go - I put it to 8 foot under the hole and was still in with a chance. My opponent was 10m away from the green in two, then chilli dipped and then thinned his next through the green and rolled 15m off the gree. An almost certain loss became a win, and I won the next two with pars to finish a miracle comeback and win 3 and 2. We won the match 6-1 overall and are now in the Grand Final.

Gotta love match play!

WBennett
17th August 2020, 07:16 PM
Gotta love match play! Last year I had no luck in match play.This year has been a significant turn around.

AndyP
17th August 2020, 09:40 PM
It’s not you Andy, Royal Jindalee kicks you in the teeth when you miss the greens It's a lot of me and a bit of the course then, however I think the pins were in some of the toughest spots I have seen there. Was the last round of Club Champs just played or something?

Lucasto23
18th August 2020, 01:08 AM
Nah was an Ambrose, club champs is on October this year

jimandr
19th August 2020, 05:49 PM
Let me start today's account with the highlight of golfing year (and in fact the last 3 years I think). On the first hole, into a 20m breeze, I holed a pitching wedge from 85m for my 12th ever eagle in 50 years of golf. 2 under after 1 hole!

I was still going well after 7 holes, but then the putting wheels fell off and it was bogey after bogey from that point on for a total of 34 points. it was a very difficult day, being black marker day and a strong wind blowing, so it wasn't too bad, even though I blew a chance at a really good round.

Kelsey86
21st August 2020, 06:52 PM
Palm Meadows today with a small group from my social club. Played absolutely shit, worst round for some time. No rhythm, barely any timing. Only half decent part was putting. 22 points off 29 with five wipes. Hopefully tomorrow at the Glades will be better

Steve57
21st August 2020, 07:40 PM
Let me start today's account with the highlight of golfing year (and in fact the last 3 years I think). On the first hole, into a 20m breeze, I holed a pitching wedge from 85m for my 12th ever eagle in 50 years of golf. 2 under after 1 hole!

I was still going well after 7 holes, but then the putting wheels fell off and it was bogey after bogey from that point on for a total of 34 points. it was a very difficult day, being black marker day and a strong wind blowing, so it wasn't too bad, even though I blew a chance at a really good round.
You were screwed from the start Jim, the theory is never birdie the first because it is all downhill from there, to eagle it is asking for trouble!
Congrats on the eagle!

shazza_rs
22nd August 2020, 05:54 PM
29 points round the Nudge today.

Wiped the first two holes then got on the bogey train and couldn’t get off the express.

Avoided an ugly shirt. Job done!

Kelsey86
22nd August 2020, 10:06 PM
Bit better day today at the Glades. Ended up with 30 points. I felt like I had my rhythm and timing back, was getting good contact most of the time but my chipping went to crap this time. The greens were really fast and it got in my head a bit causing a number of flubbed chips. It was also extremely windy which affected my swing at times. I didn't putt too badly though, had 33 in the end which I was happy with having never played on such fast greens before. Highlight of the day was a NTP on the 17th. Straight into the wind over water, was about 120m to the pin and hit a 9 iron to about 3m short. Missed the birdie by a few centimetres, just shaved the edge of the hole.
Last game of the weekend tomorrow at Royal Pines, playing the same configuration they use for the PGA tournament. Not sure which tees we're hitting off yet.

Buzz
23rd August 2020, 10:57 AM
31 at Magpies Belconnen yesterday, teed off in the rain, it was snowing on the first green and the course was basically 80% puddles. Needed a snorkel.

SundayHack
23rd August 2020, 11:03 AM
79/70 in our clubs open yesterday. I won the A grade nett and was only 1 of 3 others to shoot in the 70s in what was tough windy conditions. Knocked back 17cans of brookvale union in what was a painfully slow 5hr round. 3 weeks running I have broke 80.

blurry
23rd August 2020, 11:18 AM
33 points in a gale yesterday, I’ll take that. but 3 x 1 pointers in the last 4 holes hurt

Buzz
23rd August 2020, 11:24 AM

Well played sir.

Interested in Yass, haven't played there in many years. I heard it had suffered a lot in the drought, has it come back to decent condition after all this rain?

Courty
23rd August 2020, 02:26 PM
79/70 in our clubs open yesterday. I won the A grade nett and was only 1 of 3 others to shoot in the 70s in what was tough windy conditions. Knocked back 17cans of brookvale union in what was a painfully slow 5hr round. 3 weeks running I have broke 80.

What's that done to the handicap?

SundayHack
23rd August 2020, 03:08 PM
What's that done to the handicap? I was off 12.4 at CoC into 10.4. With 5 flags sitting pretty up top fingers crossed I can get back to single figures again

BUSHY
23rd August 2020, 04:29 PM
First 2 rounds of Club Champs. 85 and 84 to be well back of the pack.

I’m going to buy some sh!t to make me feel better.

The only highlight was Hoges making an ace yesterday on the 8th.

BUSHY
23rd August 2020, 04:30 PM
I was off 12.4 at CoC into 10.4. With 5 flags sitting pretty up top fingers crossed I can get back to single figures again

Well done mate. Good going.

Kelsey86
23rd August 2020, 05:07 PM
33 points at Royal Pines today with two wipes, so best round of the three. I had 20 points after 9 holes with one wipe, after a really nice drive rolled left off the fairway into the water. The other wipe came after driving down the left side of the fairway on a par 5, had a chance to hit the green from there with a 5 wood but pushed it right into the water. A number of poorly executed shots followed. Quite enjoyed the fast greens though.
I probably would have played better if it wasn't so windy, but enjoyed the three days playing courses I don't normally play.
Back to Oxley next Sunday for my first proper comp round now that I have a handicap. After hitting 87 on my third card I'm off 12.4, but I expect that to go up as I play more rounds.

AndyP
23rd August 2020, 06:33 PM
23/08/2020, Jindalee GC, Social Nine.

Stats: 3/6 fairways, 1/9 greens, 15 putts.
Score (https://www.gamegolf.com/player/AndyP/round/2951504): BPBBPXXPP; 40 (+7).

Eight shot improvement from last week. Woohoo! Still not great, but things were a bit better, and gave me some hope that I am still able to play golf.

Next round: And another round at Jindalee next Sunday. I'm torn between being able to play social games with my friends, and playing on a more enjoyable course in a comp.

NewyMitch
23rd August 2020, 06:50 PM
28 points this morning. Got off to a flying start but couldn't hold it together.

The driver was misbehaving big time today. I need to get to the range to work on a safe fairway finding swing.

WBennett
24th August 2020, 07:44 AM
Lost my pennant match 4 and 3, but the team won 4 and 3 with the final match going down the 19th! Wooooo. Premiers.

My head hurts a little bit this morning.

WBennett
24th August 2020, 07:45 AM
Well played sir.

Interested in Yass, haven't played there in many years. I heard it had suffered a lot in the drought, has it come back to decent condition after all this rain?

Its pretty rough, it really did struggle with no water, and now it has too much - the bottom holes are a heavy 10 at best.

MAZA68
24th August 2020, 12:12 PM
Lost my pennant match 4 and 3, but the team won 4 and 3 with the final match going down the 19th! Wooooo. Premiers.

My head hurts a little bit this morning.

Well done good to get the W

okitoki
24th August 2020, 02:01 PM
another round of hack and slash.... atleast my handicap is growing in time for our club's winter cup :roll:

err.... or not.... seems like my hdcp has hit the upper cap

LarryLong
24th August 2020, 03:38 PM
Played golf for the first time in over 18 months last week. Renewed my donation/membership and asked my daughter (11) if she'd like to walk a few holes. She enjoyed it so much that she happily walked 9 with me. I challenged her to putt from the edge of the green - my score for the hole vs her score with the putter. She beat me 6-1, mainly because I had a bunch of 7s and an 8. One hole she had 4 putts and unfortunately so did I. I surprised myself by hitting the ball reasonably well, all things considered.

Having an 11 year old girl standing right behind you when you tee off is a good way to keep yourself from swearing when you slice into the trees.

WBennett
24th August 2020, 04:20 PM
Played golf for the first time in over 18 months last week. Renewed my donation/membership and asked my daughter (11) if she'd like to walk a few holes. She enjoyed it so much that she happily walked 9 with me. I challenged her to putt from the edge of the green - my score for the hole vs her score with the putter. She beat me 6-1, mainly because I had a bunch of 7s and an 8. One hole she had 4 putts and unfortunately so did I. I surprised myself by hitting the ball reasonably well, all things considered.

Having an 11 year old girl standing right behind you when you tee off is a good way to keep yourself from swearing when you slice into the trees.

Glad to hear you are back on course

jimandr
24th August 2020, 05:11 PM
Larry, these days 11 year olds know all the words and use them. I transgressed myself today. I hit probably my worst full shot of the day into a bunker instead of over it, said a word that was entirely appropriate after the shot I hit, but I was in earshot of the only group of 4 ladies in the comp. I got some evil looks and had to say sorry.

The high and low of golf is that I then holed the bunker shot for a 3 pointer that saved the round and allowed me to record a satisfactory 34 points. Apart from the hack into the bunker and two duffed chips in a row, I played quite well for my 4th flag round in a row.

jimandr
26th August 2020, 05:08 PM
I played a round today with one of almost every type of calamity you can experience on a golf course, for 29 points.

I had a duffed chip and followed it up with 3 putt, where the 2nd putt hit a pitchmark I couldn't see. I missed a 2 footer while doing a contortionists stance trying not to stand in another player's line, I had a semi-tantrum one handed air swing on a tap-in, and I hit a sprinkler head with an approach, which caused a wipe. The three shanks in a row will be detailed in another thread.

Apart from those adventures I hit the ball really well. A very strange round.

AndyP
30th August 2020, 04:27 PM
30/08/2020, Jindalee GC, Social Nine.

Stats: 3/6 fairways, 2/9 greens, 12 putts.
Score (https://www.gamegolf.com/player/AndyP/round/2956634): PPPPBXbPB; 37 (+4).

That's 48, 40, then 37 in the last three weeks, so things are definitely heading in the right direction. If I didn't go OOB for the second week in a row and triple the 6th, it would have been very tidy.

I'm still struggling with the irons off the deck though, but it's getting there. Twice I hit shockers, but then after dropping a ball and playing it again for practice a couple of times, I hit them great.

With the exception of one, the drives were good, but it was the putting that was the hero of the round. I got up and down a couple of times, when I had no right to; I just kept sinking putts.

Next round: Leon Treadwell Ambrose up at Toowoomba on Friday, but I might look at playing nine somewhere on the way up.

BUSHY
30th August 2020, 06:18 PM
First 2 rounds of Club Champs. 85 and 84 to be well back of the pack.

I’m going to buy some sh!t to make me feel better.

The only highlight was Hoges making an ace yesterday on the 8th.

Backed up with another 84 yesterday and a somewhat restorative 78 today.

Today’s rounds was a “what could’ve been”.

Even par thru 8 holes playing really solid before a careless 3 putt bogey on the 9th. Then parred the first 5 holes on the back side with a highlight hitting it to 10ft on the 207m par 3 5th.

Then finished - double, par, triple, par from out of nowhere to drive a dagger deep into my soul.

85,84,84,78 for a really disappointing showing this year.

Kelsey86
30th August 2020, 07:34 PM
Today I played my first proper competition round at Oxley after getting my handicap. After hitting 87 on my third card it put me off 12.4, and today off 10. I ended up with 29 points in the end and hit 93 off the stick. Tied for 12th out of 19. Only hit 3 fairways but the misses weren't in bad positions, only a metre or so off the edge most times. Had a couple of blowouts on the front 9 but was more consistent on the back with +7.

Highlight of the day came right after a lowlight. I hit my drive left into the water on the 4th. Dropped another in the rough where it went in, the lie was reasonably steep with the ball above, around 190m out. Aimed about 10-15 metres right of the flag and hit a 4 iron which curled back towards it and ended up a few metres from the hole. Couldn't believe it. Ended up with bogey in the end which I was pretty happy with considering.

Buzz
31st August 2020, 04:31 PM
+1 in Par in the Sunday comp at Belconnen, playing off 23. I don't get the hate for Par as a format, as a high handicapper I am way more likely to get a wipe than a four pointer so I think its a much more forgiving format than stableford.

chappy1970
31st August 2020, 06:34 PM
About 50 balls a day in my garage....sigh

exmrblonde
31st August 2020, 06:38 PM
I holed 32 10 foot putts in a row on my ISO carpet/practice putting green.
That’s a record for me.
Previous best was 14.
Let’s see how it translates to the real thing when (if) courses open up again.

BUSHY
1st September 2020, 01:22 PM
About 50 balls a day in my garage....sigh

Time to buy a launch monitor? Best investment I’ve made.

I managed to source an old driving range mat which has found the ideal spot in the new place. I just put up the sheet/net/blanket every time I need to use it.

chappy1970
1st September 2020, 01:25 PM
Bushy I was the fortunate recipient of a "Pay it Forward" hitting mate and it's the business.

I'm just trying to keep a little muscle memory at this stage

BUSHY
1st September 2020, 03:23 PM
I think it was Hank Haney who suggested just 50-100 swings a day is good enough to make it work.

Buzz
1st September 2020, 05:12 PM
Time to buy a launch monitor? Best investment I’ve made.

I managed to source an old driving range mat which has found the ideal spot in the new place. I just put up the sheet/net/blanket every time I need to use it.

Given I have a launch monitor on the way please do tell more about this home setup :D

BUSHY
1st September 2020, 10:08 PM
Given I have a launch monitor on the way please do tell more about this home setup :D

SkyTrack connected up to an iPad Pro.
Pro Driving range mat.
Hitting into an old King sized sheet with an extra blanket hooked to a piece of poly that I hang up when I want to use it.

Originally i had the poly in a frame that i used in the garage. Only just moved into the new place so jigged up a way to sling the top bar from the patio.

Buzz
2nd September 2020, 07:57 AM
SkyTrack connected up to an iPad Pro.
Pro Driving range mat.
Hitting into an old King sized sheet with an extra blanket hooked to a piece of poly that I hang up when I want to use it.

Originally i had the poly in a frame that i used in the garage. Only just moved into the new place so jigged up a way to sling the top bar from the patio.

Intriguing, thanks.

MAZA68
4th September 2020, 06:40 PM
August Scores:

Mossman GC 75-6-69
Atherton GC 77-5-72
Rowes Bay GC 82-5-77

Coopers Country
5th September 2020, 09:48 PM
After 5 weeks on cap of 18.2 , I finally had a decent round 31 points 17 on the front with 2 wipes , then a pretty poor 14 on the back with 1 wipe . Drove the ball really well irons were solid chipping was good , putting cost me points but the greens are crap at the moment , I actually putted pretty well . As a side note our group of 4 got disqualified from the competition for playing the course out of order.
We got to number 10 and ran into a group of 4 social golfers who were not going to let us through, so we decided to jump to 13 and play 10, 11 and 12 last , oh well lesson learned lol

Hatchman
10th September 2020, 05:01 PM
After 5 weeks on cap of 18.2 , I finally had a decent round 31 points 17 on the front with 2 wipes , then a pretty poor 14 on the back with 1 wipe . Drove the ball really well irons were solid chipping was good , putting cost me points but the greens are crap at the moment , I actually putted pretty well . As a side note our group of 4 got disqualified from the competition for playing the course out of order.
We got to number 10 and ran into a group of 4 social golfers who were not going to let us through, so we decided to jump to 13 and play 10, 11 and 12 last , oh well lesson learned lol

I didn't even know that was a thing?
Gee, it was std practice when for some groups to start on the 6th and play 7-8-9 then 1-6 at Kapunda (9 hole course) if there was a lot of groups in the morning.

Lucasto23
16th September 2020, 05:59 PM
3 rounds at the Mid am at royal pines, R1 83, R2 85 and R3 85. Struggled the most on day one and shot the best [emoji849]. Was two over thru 11 hole for R2 and R3 and then brain explosions occurred with the 12 to 14 holes both costing me 8 shots each to kill some great golf.

Looking forward to playing more Mid Ams and see if I can improve next year. Did smoke a 320m wind Assited drive on the par 5 15th and a 270m 3 wood on the 17th that made me feel good [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]