PDA

View Full Version : Hints to combat consistently hitting driver low on the clubface

Stuart
20th June 2020, 12:34 PM
I recently picked up a Mizuno St190G driver without demoing it first (as I love the 3 wood). However, I’ll be buggered if I can find the centre of the clubface with it. I hit it low on the face about 80% of the time. Frustrating, as it is as long and forgiving as anything out there, but not when you hit it off the bottom consistently ...

I tried teeing it higher (and nearly missed it altogether!) and lower, as well as moving it forward and back in the stance. All of which pretty much made no difference to strike at all. Its actually screwing up with my swing as I try to counteract this problem, but I can’t work out what to do. I am currently playing it at 7 degrees in order to bring the spin down a bit.

The biggest difference I can work out is that it has a longer shaft than normal (for me), but gripping down the shaft an inch didn’t seem to help either.

Any suggestions? I was going to do a test against a Cobra F9, but at the moment there is literally no point as it isn’t going much further than my 3-wood (except for the rare one that I do middle, which bombs it out there).

thecollective
20th June 2020, 12:38 PM
I am currently playing it at 7 degrees in order to bring the spin down a bit.

Ummm, yeah

Stuart
20th June 2020, 12:51 PM
Always played drivers at 8 or 9 degrees - I had this one initially at the standard 9 degrees and then dropped down to 8 and then 7. Low on the clubface is spinning the ball up for me, so lowering the loft is helping with that a bit.

Its the best setting for me at the moment, but if I could hit it off the centre consistently, I’d bump it back up again.

thecollective
20th June 2020, 12:56 PM
Always played drivers at 8 or 9 degrees - I had this one initially at the standard 9 degrees and then dropped down to 8 and then 7. Best setting at the moment, but if I could hit it off the centre consistently, I’d bump it back up again.

Taking spin off the ball is going to impact height, you need some spin to get and keep the ball in the air

any off centre hits in that loft are going to be grubbers. I think you need to go back up to 9-10 degrees and book a lesson

NewyMitch
20th June 2020, 08:32 PM
Are you playing a shaft that you're familiar with? I find that I have trouble timing with shafts that feel too 'active'

The other feeling I get when it comes off low is almost like hitting a cover drive. All the weight feels like it's still on the back foot.

BobsYourUncle
20th June 2020, 08:36 PM
Two things I'd consider (at least if I was having this problem):
1) make sure the ball is far enough back in my stance (hitting low on the face, plus such a low loft, suggests you hitting it well on the up, and maybe need to reduce angle of attack. Got access to a launch monitor?)
2) spend some time on the range hitting driver off the deck - have to get down after it if you want it to go anywhere

Stuart
20th June 2020, 08:46 PM
Are you playing a shaft that you're familiar with? I find that I have trouble timing with shafts that feel too 'active'

The other feeling I get when it comes off low is almost like hitting a cover drive. All the weight feels like it's still on the back foot.

It has an Atmos Black 6x which is a shaft I have used very happily before. As noted though, it is longer than I would normally play it.

The frustrating part is that I am only seeing this problem with this particular driver - all my other clubs are fine, and if I go back to an older driver, I seem to hit it normally (i.e. I hit it all over the face, rather than just low :) ). Just as frustrating is that, on the rare occasion I do get it off the centre, it is an excellent driver. In fairness, it has pretty great forgiveness considering just how poorly I am hitting it.

Good point re weight transition though. Will have a think about that.

MAZA68
20th June 2020, 08:46 PM
I've got the GT180 model, have you played around with the weights?

Stuart
20th June 2020, 08:54 PM
Two things I'd consider (at least if I was having this problem):
1) make sure the ball is far enough back in my stance (hitting low on the face, plus such a low loft, suggests you hitting it well on the up, and maybe need to reduce angle of attack. Got access to a launch monitor?)
2) spend some time on the range hitting driver off the deck - have to get down after it if you want it to go anywhere

Thanks for the suggestions - will give them some thought as well.

I am only playing it at 7 degrees as this is assisting with the low face strikes. At the normal loft, anything struck low was spinning up and losing lots of distance. Lowering the loft has helped this a bit, but even so, striking low on the face really isn’t ideal.

The other thing that I have just thought of - the driver sits very open. Normally, I like this, but I wonder if I am sub-consciously doing something that affects impact.

Webster
20th June 2020, 08:55 PM
Swing lower

Stuart
20th June 2020, 08:56 PM
I've got the GT180 model, have you played around with the weights?

Not a lot to be honest. Any suggestions of what setup may help?

Stuart
20th June 2020, 08:57 PM
Swing lower

That’s what everyone has told me :) - be buggered if I can though (no idea why).

JoeS
20th June 2020, 10:15 PM
Having it at 7d and hitting it lower on the face is not helping,and not the answer to reducing spin.Angle of attack,ball position and balance will be the problem.As you say,it is a longer shaft.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Captain Nemo
20th June 2020, 10:15 PM
Sell me the driver, buy a new one.... that fits your swing.

thecollective
20th June 2020, 10:24 PM
You need a pro to take a look from behind and front on, $50 well invested.

Sounds like you’re overthinking the whole thing as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markTHEblake
21st June 2020, 10:22 AM
You need to look at your spin loft. Sounds like its too much.

If you want to continue with 7deg driver you need to be playing it well forward and tee it up.

MAZA68
21st June 2020, 06:22 PM
That’s what everyone has told me :) - be buggered if I can though (no idea why).

https://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/mizuno-st190-driver-review-4169.aspx

H (https://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/mizuno-st190-driver-review-4169.aspx)ave a read of this, I got my fitted so they did all the settings.

Toolish
22nd June 2020, 11:10 AM
I have this issue with driver sometimes and for me it is caused from coming out of the shot, usually because I am hitting it crap and I am out of rhythm. If you are anxious about this particular driver it could cause the same issues.

I hate the saying keep your head down, because most people apply it incorrectly, but when I am hitting it like that I focus on staying down through the shot and it comes good.

sms316
22nd June 2020, 12:33 PM
Swing low
Sweet chariot, coming for to carry me home

Stuart
22nd June 2020, 07:44 PM
A few photos with impact spray to show the problem. The first is the Mizuno, the second is immediately afterwards with a Cobra F9. That low spot is consistently where I get the Mizuno (although, sometimes low centre or low heel as well). It doesn't look like that much, but hitting it that low (and even lower sometimes) just loses a mountain of distance.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51427&stc=1https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51428&stc=1

Stuart
22nd June 2020, 07:48 PM
Sell me the driver, buy a new one.... that fits your swing.

Probably the best advice of all really.

I agree that it is now largely mental, but it didn't start out that way. I really wanted to use it - I LOVE the way the Mizuno looks and setsup behind the ball, and the few times I did hit it out of the middle, it goes like the clappers. But, for some reason, I just don't gel with this club.

Stuart
22nd June 2020, 07:52 PM
I have this issue with driver sometimes and for me it is caused from coming out of the shot, usually because I am hitting it crap and I am out of rhythm. If you are anxious about this particular driver it could cause the same issues.

I hate the saying keep your head down, because most people apply it incorrectly, but when I am hitting it like that I focus on staying down through the shot and it comes good.

Good suggestions.

Daves
22nd June 2020, 08:10 PM
Both are pretty toey as well.

Have you tried a different shaft?

A few photos with impact spray to show the problem. The first is the Mizuno, the second is immediately afterwards with a Cobra F9. That low spot is consistently where I get the Mizuno (although, sometimes low centre or low heel as well). It doesn't look like that much, but hitting it that low (and even lower sometimes) just loses a mountain of distance.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51427&stc=1https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51428&stc=1

Johnny Canuck
22nd June 2020, 08:13 PM
Have you thought about removing your shoes before hitting driver?

Stuart
22nd June 2020, 08:28 PM
Both are pretty toey as well.

Have you tried a different shaft?

High toe is my normal 'miss' with driver - this is really the first time I have found a club that I consistently hit low on the clubface. From my recent experience, I now think that low toe is probably the second worst impact place for driver (after high heel / near shank).

I haven't tried it with a different shaft, but suspect that is probably the issue. It is slightly longer (.5 inch) than I normally use, but gripping down hasn't made a difference. Time to move it on, and chalk it up to an (expensive) experiment that just didn't work.

Stuart
22nd June 2020, 08:32 PM

It is doing my head in enough that I am prepared to consider that idea.

However, the weather forecast for Armidale for the next few months will probably preclude me trying it. I think it got to a maximum of 8 degrees today, but with the wind, evidently the 'feels like' temperature didn't get above 3. it is currently 3.3 degrees with a feels like of minus 4.8.

Captain Nemo
22nd June 2020, 08:36 PM
I’d try a softer flex shaft maybe let the head release a bit more?
Trial and error I suppose?

markTHEblake
22nd June 2020, 08:56 PM
From memory toe hits can be caused by the club being too heavy. There isnt much point wondering why the two clubs swing different unless they are both the same shaft and the heads weigh the same. As they are not the same, then different results is the normal.

Webster
22nd June 2020, 08:58 PM

He needs golf shoes with a higher heel.

Stuart
22nd June 2020, 09:15 PM
From memory toe hits can be caused by the club being too heavy. There isnt much point wondering why the two clubs swing different unless they are both the same shaft and the heads weigh the same. As they are not the same, then different results is the normal.

This is largely academic now, as I’ll hopefully pass the Mizuno onto a more worthy owner soon. However, I am still genuinely interested as to what the club / shaft characteristic is that is causing me to consistently strike it low.

The point of the two photos was more to show that it wasn’t specifically swing flaws (as crap as my swing is) that was causing the result, as I am still hitting my other driver how I would normally expect. I also hit an old Callaway driver head that showed a similar higher impact pattern. There is just something about how I swing the Mizuno that isn’t working. And I am still keen to try and work out what that is.

NewyMitch
23rd June 2020, 05:25 AM
I'm not sure if you've seen this GolfWRX thread before? There is some useful info on there. From my understanding low face strikes can be because a shaft is too soft but I don't think that's the case here with an Atmos black.
https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting

Hatchman
23rd June 2020, 01:01 PM
This is largely academic now, as I’ll hopefully pass the Mizuno onto a more worthy owner soon. However, I am still genuinely interested as to what the club / shaft characteristic is that is causing me to consistently strike it low.

The point of the two photos was more to show that it wasn’t specifically swing flaws (as crap as my swing is) that was causing the result, as I am still hitting my other driver how I would normally expect. I also hit an old Callaway driver head that showed a similar higher impact pattern. There is just something about how I swing the Mizuno that isn’t working. And I am still keen to try and work out what that is.

Are you low in center mostly or low in the heal mostly?
Played with a mate a couple of moths ago now that was having a low impact problem on the driver (his favoring heal mostly) and it was glaringly obvious to me he was reaching for it at address. There was so much space between his hand position and pelvic area you could drive a truck through it. As uncomfortable as he felt we got his hand position in closer and closed that massive space and hey presto the impact started coming back to the middle and higher up the face again.

Stuart
23rd June 2020, 07:27 PM
Are you low in center mostly or low in the heal mostly?

Funnily enough, it was mostly either low toe or low centre. I can’t ever recall that impact tendency. The reason that I even started paying attention to strike location was that the ball flight was so different to what I had ever seen before that I wondered what the hell was going on. Flew like a busted duck - started off like a low-hook, but then spun up into the air and ultimately went nowhere (except left). Hard to describe really, other than shi ...

Stuart
23rd June 2020, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure if you've seen this GolfWRX thread before? There is some useful info on there. From my understanding low face strikes can be because a shaft is too soft but I don't think that's the case here with an Atmos black.
https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting

Thanks for that link - interesting reading.