PDA

View Full Version : TPC Sawgrass #17

Moe Norman
3rd September 2006, 05:15 PM
I wonder if its the end of the famous island green?

Such incredible strategic design!

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~brianewen/x-Sawgrass17.jpg

AndyP
3rd September 2006, 05:26 PM
What's doing there? Changing the complex of the green?

At least it's still on the PS2 and PC Tiger Woods games.

Falcon
3rd September 2006, 05:43 PM
They are redoing the greens on the TPC course, trying to make it dryer and faster... instead of making it longer like some other unimaginitive courses on the tour.

Andrew
3rd September 2006, 06:32 PM
Moe,

Apparently, there was a suggestion that there might be a second option to playing the hole, so of course, they wanted to eliminate that as quick as possible. LOL

Moe Norman
3rd September 2006, 06:46 PM
hahaha

marcel
3rd September 2006, 06:51 PM
Tiger is King, if he wants to go play in his sandpit, good luck to him.

Andrew
3rd September 2006, 08:02 PM
My wife walked in when I had this picture up. She knows nothing about golf course architecture (except occasionally being forced to listen to my ravings) & the first thing she said was, “Man, that looks manufactured. Bet you done like that.”

Even she thinks it stinks.

markTHEblake
3rd September 2006, 10:30 PM
Geez mate, they dont muck around with the scarifying machine over there !

When Pete Dye was designing the course he originally considired making at a "postage stamp" green, but in the end decided on an "envelope". Dunno if that was his words or jounalistic license though.

I think its a great concept. why should all short holes have tiny greens. This hole is penal but the green is massive.

BrisVegas
4th September 2006, 07:12 AM
Have they changed the size/shape of the green at all? It was plenty big enough before, but still intimidating enough. I'd heard they were trying to suck a lot of the water out of TPC Sawgrass to make it more challenging. Good to see. Gets a bit tiring when length is the only option considered...

jimandr
4th September 2006, 09:32 PM
I suspect it is(was) an awful hole to play, but it is a great TV hole. I never understand why they don't play at the bunker as a safer option than risking a watery grave.

I hope they soften the slope of the tier at the front of the green just a little bit. It is unfair seeing them spin the ball down the hill and have it run another 40 feet into the water.

Moe Norman
4th September 2006, 10:04 PM
the hole is ok for pros I guess, though I'd imagine some thought wouldn't do them any harm.

This hole requires none

BrisVegas
5th September 2006, 07:01 AM
the hole is ok for pros I guess, though I'd imagine some thought wouldn't do them any harm.

This hole requires none

Have you played it Thommo?? I think the hole is interesting and requires a bit of thought. You can't just hammer a wedge in there to a front pin as it will spin back off the front of the green into the pone. With a back pin, there isn't room for a ball to hop once or twice past the flag before checking. It has to be played under the pin with soft hands to take the spin off... The drop zone is no snack either, as you're still left with an awkward 30 yard chip over water which has to be played across the contours of the green.

Moe Norman
5th September 2006, 09:38 AM
Even Tiger said he hits the same shot every time he plays the hole - wind varies his club selection and thats it.

I'll take that as a good enough review for me.

I'll take on board your comments, but having a strategic drop zone?! :o

BrisVegas
5th September 2006, 10:07 AM
I'll take on board your comments, but having a strategic drop zone?! :o

I never said the drop zone was strategic! It's just no snack. thankfully I didn't need to try the shot from the drop zone...:smt002