PDA

View Full Version : Richmond GC, 8th Sept - 8:48am

Andrew
2nd September 2006, 03:54 PM
This is the NSW matchplay final between Jim & Andrew.

Please indicate on the calender if you want to play.

Andrew
6th September 2006, 08:23 PM
The group will be:

Grunt
Virgal Tracy
Jimandr
Andrew

Unfortunately, Amanda is not aloud to join us.

Grunt
6th September 2006, 08:34 PM
Ok I will Bring my camera, you will all have to remind me that I have it in the bag :)

jimandr
6th September 2006, 11:07 PM
Unfortunately, Amanda is not aloud to join us.

Clearly, they have never heard Amanda celebrate a birdie, or in her early days, a par. She can be quite loud.

Should we wear black ribbons or the like, as a protest? I can only assume it isn't a genuine 'open' event if ladies aren't permitted.

I'm planning to leave my house about 7.30, which should get me to Richmond about 8.15, judging by the journey time to Windsor earlier this year.

If something goes wrong, I have Grant's mobile number, and he has mine.

Grunt
7th September 2006, 06:45 AM
Hope the weather improves, and is not like it is this morning down here.

3oneday
7th September 2006, 07:06 AM
Hope the weather improves, and is not like it is this morning down here.2 inches of rain somehow sounds more appealing ;)

Grunt
7th September 2006, 07:08 AM
Yeah you are right pete, Just getting selfish as all my days at work this week were unreal weatherwise and now my first day off it is pouring and is forecast to be the same for the entire period I am rostered off :( Might be a no Golf week for me.

amanda
7th September 2006, 09:13 AM
It's a shame I can't play - I was looking forward to finally playing golf with Andrew (having him wave us off at the 1st tee a few times isn't the same)

Have a great day everyone! I want a full blow-by-blow match report :D

jimandr
7th September 2006, 10:16 PM
If the wind stays the same as it was today, if we provide a blow by blow report and we have about 110 blows each, it could be a very long report.

The rain seems to have eased, so it might be bearable.

I was half expecting a late call or message offering a postponement, but I didn't get one, so I will be testing the old adage that 'any day on the golf course is better than a day at work'.

Grunt
7th September 2006, 10:17 PM
Showers are predicted only for the coast tomorrow

3oneday
7th September 2006, 11:34 PM
If the wind stays the same as it was todayhopefully the wind won't be whipping the waves on the sewerage treatment plant towards you, there's only one thing worse than a floating turd ;)

brad
8th September 2006, 01:38 PM
So gents, do we have a winner?

Edit : Yes I know I'm a little early, but I have work to do ... :P

jimandr
8th September 2006, 05:17 PM
Brad,

I won the Match. More details of that in the Matchplay thread.

The scores of the four players make sad reading:

Jimand 32
Virgal Tracy 25
Grunt 24
Andrew, less than that. He picked up a few times after the hole was lost.

For those who care, our best ball scores were enormous: Jim/Andrew 37, Grant/Vince 34.

I think it may be more appropriate to tell a story or two in this thread than in the matchplay thread.

First thing to say is that todays weather was quite good. A 1 to 2 club breeze, which eased a bit by the end, and no rain. The breeze blew the odour from the sewage works away, so we had nothing but semi-rural air to breathe all day.

Second thing was that Richmond was very wet. They must've had a lot of rain overnight, as casual water was everywhere, and at least half the bunkers were full of water.

I was first to find this out, in a bunker on the second. I had nowhere to drop, and had to take a penalty. Not happy in the early stage of MatchPlay Final to lose a hole that way. Later on, Grant LOST A BALL IN A BUNKER. The bunker was big, the water was deep, we couldn't see into it, and despite raking it for a while, we never found it.

My favourite highlight was on the hard par 3 15th. Andrew hit a good looking tee shot. Vince said 'get up' then he said 'get down', just like the James Brown tune "Sex Machine", so that's what we'll call him from now on. The ball, by the way, went over the back, so Andrew was very happy that Vince used his extra sensory powers to send his ball over the green.

jimandr
10th September 2006, 11:06 PM
I'm a bit surprised none of the other players have added to this thread, as there are some things worth talking about.

First and foremost, Amanda got dudded out of a game. Andrew says he asked the question twice in two separate calls about ladies not being allowed to play. But they told him the wrong thing. Maybe it was really Vince intercepting Andrew's phone calls.

The card said Medley2bbb, and we saw some ladies playing in one of the first groups.

Secondly, maybe they were feeling guilty, but the comp fee I paid was $15, while Grant and Vince paid $12 as reciprocal members. Dirt cheap for a Friday Open Day. I'd be happy to go back and play again at that price.

For those who know the course, the 17th had a temporary green, and played as a 170m par 3. It is the only kidney-shaped temporary green I've ever seen, big enough for half a dozen pin placements. It was still rough as guts. The biggest challenge was to keep the putts on the ground.

The course was much as I remembered it. A few ordinary holes, quite a few good holes, and two holes (14 and 15) totally out of character to the rest of the course. There are a few hazards you can't see from the tee. The greens were really good.

Andrew
11th September 2006, 06:53 AM
Jim,

I actually PM’d Amanda & told her about the ladies.

On my way out, I ducked into the pro shop & asked David Ecob (both times I rang, I spoke to some other guy in the pro shop) what the ‘go’ was. He said, “Sure ladies can play.” I told him what the other guy had said, to which he replied, “Don’t know why he said that.”

Being that I made the booking, when I saw the ladies out on the course, I was quite embarrassed.

Andrew
11th September 2006, 07:02 AM
About the course:

I didn’t mind the course either. Although it is quite flat & there are no ‘standout’ hole, overall the course is consistent in quality throughout the entire 18, even with the 14th & 15th being transported from the Riverina/Murray district.

Of the few club courses in the area, Richmond is probably slightly ahead of the others.

3oneday
11th September 2006, 07:11 AM
Of the few club courses in the area, Richmond is probably slightly ahead of the others.joined there a few years ago, found it as boring as batshit after 3 rounds and joined Windsor. Each to their own I suppose.

Andrew
11th September 2006, 01:46 PM
joined there a few years ago, found it as boring as batshit after 3 rounds and joined Windsor. Each to their own I suppose.

I didn’t mean to denigrate Windsor, as I find it quite enjoyable.

I understand what you are saying about Richmond being boring if you had to play it regularly. I’m happy enough to play it every 3 or 4 years, as I do all Sydney courses.