PDA

View Full Version : Tripping Australia

Pages : [1] 2

MAZA68
24th May 2020, 07:16 PM
After many years of planning (dreaming) my wife and I have been able to put into place the reality of travelling around Australia in our caravan.

Being an avid golfer, the chance to play as many golf courses around the country as I could was on the agenda, so I thought I would run a post of the travels and the courses played.

Our journey started recently in Feb, just before the madness of Covid 19. We managing to escape the Gold Coast and head north, not our original plan but the best option now with lock down!

Our first (only stop) was Bargara, a quite seaside town with a great golfing and recreational options. Thankfully golf courses were open and it was reasonably normal.

Onto the golf...
First course on the trip was Bargara, a good quality course of a links type nature. Flat course with small fast and firm greens. The course gives the impression of openness but has a bite when you miss a fairway. Overall, very well looked after with good quality greens and fairways. As it was the only option for a few weeks, I played several rounds here and took up a visitor membership that saved a few bucks.
Deals - Half price green fees on Mondays. Visitor Membership $77 per month (have to be a member of another club)

Bargara GC Blue Tees Par 72 Scratch 70 Slope 117 5699m. Greens Fees $35.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.ph...id=51216&stc=1 (https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51216&stc=1)

Whilst in the area I shot down to Coral Cove. At first this course looks something special, but after the postcard views of the second hole the course falls away. Once again a relatively flat course with a few interesting holes, the Par 6 is something different! Struck some old dragons on the back nine which made for a slow second nine.
Deals - $35 with Cart on Wednesdays.

Coral Cove GC White Tees Par 72 Scratch 69 Slope 123 5381m. Green Fees $40 with Cart.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.ph...id=51215&stc=1 (https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51215&stc=1)

Bundaberg was next on the agenda, a good quality course, flat but tree lined with bunkers and water that can penalize. Overall the course was in excellent condition well stocked pro shop and friendly locals. When the wind gets up the course plays a lot harder with several holes into the southerly breeze.
Deals - $15 Green Fee Mondays & Wednesdays

Bundaberg GC Blue Tees Par 71 Scratch 70 Slope 122 5741m. Green Fees $35.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.ph...id=51217&stc=1 (https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51217&stc=1)

With travel restrictions increased, a trip out to Isis (Childers) was on the agenda. A country 9 Hole course with a few different tee options on the second trip around. I arrived there to find the course closed due to some irrigation repairs, but a friendly local let me on, gave me a quick run down on the course, including the some 1500 trees on the course and the sugar cane to the left of the first hole!
A well kept course, fairway watering and quite a few dog legs makes for a challenging course. A good fun course to play with some strong par 4's.

Isis GC Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 108 5556m. Green Fees $25 (Honesty Box)

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.ph...id=51214&stc=1 (https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51214&stc=1)

Another week in Bargara before heading north and hopefully a couple of others course to play before departing. Gin Gin and Innes Park.

damoocow
24th May 2020, 08:01 PM
Nice reviews - I would agree with all of that having played those courses quite a few times. I look forward to your Innes Park review...

jimandr
24th May 2020, 09:30 PM
Surely this thread should be titled 'tripping Qld', as at this stage you can't go to WA, SA or back to Qld once you leave the state.

As you may know, we had a Queensland Champs partly at Bundaberg a few years ago. I don't disagree with your assessment of the courses, Coral Cove, for sure. A real missed opportunity there.

Benno_R will be seeking you out if you are still in the area, and I'm sure the Cairns guys will be waiting for you to arrive.

Keep posting.

marcel
24th May 2020, 11:01 PM
.......... as at this stage you can't go to WA, SA or back to Qld once you leave the state.

You can come to South Oz Jim, you just have to self isolate for 14 days once you arrive

benno_r
25th May 2020, 08:05 AM
Feel free to get in touch if you want a game in the comp at Maryborough. Wed/Fri/Sat.

markTHEblake
25th May 2020, 11:09 AM
That explains why your front lawn has gone to ruin.

3Puttpete
25th May 2020, 02:49 PM
I was hoping for more based on the thread title tbh.

Dotty
25th May 2020, 03:59 PM
I was hoping for more based on the thread title tbh.
I was expecting a World Cup summary.

MAZA68
25th May 2020, 05:57 PM
Nice reviews - I would agree with all of that having played those courses quite a few times. I look forward to your Innes Park review...

yes, had some differing local comments...

MAZA68
25th May 2020, 05:58 PM
That explains why your front lawn has gone to ruin.

its the new owners....

MAZA68
25th May 2020, 07:16 PM
A trip out to Gin Gin was on the cards today, another country 9 Hole course with some alternate tee options the second time around. The course has a good layout with some good long par 4's and 3's. Unfortunately the course was in poor condition with the fairways very browned off and large cracks throughout. There seemed to be an irrigation system and a irrigation channel running alongside the 9th fairway but not in use? The greens had also been cored recently so made for some interesting chips and putts. It would nice to play when green.

Gin Gin GC Par 72 Scratch 70 Slope 108 5879m. Green Fees $17 (Honesty Box)

Courty
25th May 2020, 07:20 PM
Give us a heads up when you get to the Cairns area, Maza. There's a few of us up here so we can arrange a round.

BUSHY
25th May 2020, 08:39 PM
as at this stage you can't go to WA, SA or back to Qld once you leave the state..

Wrong on EVERY count.

markTHEblake
25th May 2020, 08:46 PM
its the new owners....
that explains why I havent seen your missus jogging past me while I am doing my morning sprint for a while.

PerryGroves
25th May 2020, 09:38 PM
as at this stage you can't go to WA, SA or back to Qld once you leave the state.

Wrong on EVERY count.

jimandr, are you Peter Fitzsimons?

MAZA68, enjoy the trip, I can't really be arsed with golf reviews if you feel so inclined chuck in a few pub/restaurant ones if they stand out

MAZA68
26th May 2020, 04:28 PM
jimandr, are you Peter Fitzsimons?MAZA68, enjoy the trip, I can't really be arsed with golf reviews if you feel so inclined chuck in a few pub/restaurant ones if they stand out I'll try, pretty limited options at the moment but can recommend the Red Chilli Thai in Bargara for takeaways

MAZA68
26th May 2020, 07:29 PM
that explains why I havent seen your missus jogging past me while I am doing my morning sprint for a while.

She is only walking...

MAZA68
26th May 2020, 07:31 PM
Feel free to get in touch if you want a game in the comp at Maryborough. Wed/Fri/Sat.

Thanks Benno, I'll keep that as an option for the return trip.

MAZA68
26th May 2020, 07:32 PM
Give us a heads up when you get to the Cairns area, Maza. There's a few of us up here so we can arrange a round.

Thanks Courty, will do

MAZA68
29th May 2020, 06:44 PM
Last days in Bundy so managed another round at Bundaberg and a round at the famed Innes Park....one local told me its not really a golf course!
Innes Park is an interesting layout First 9 holes all Par 3's ranging from 70m to 220m and the second nine a more normal layout - which differed from my GPS. Course condition was ok (not the manicured fairways of Bargara or Bundy) and different grass in the greens from front nine to back nine. Greens were very firm and reasonably quick so getting chips to stop was a challenge.
Its good value and a fun course with some challenging holes.

Innes GC Par 62 Scratch 58 Slope 81 3717m. Green Fees $18.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51262&stc=1

damoocow
31st May 2020, 03:20 PM
Sounds like it's a bit better than last time i played it... I do recall a strange raised green...
The only other odd course i played up there was Oakwood, almost seemed to be in someone's back paddock as i recall.

MAZA68
31st May 2020, 09:03 PM
Sounds like it's a bit better than last time i played it... I do recall a strange raised green...
The only other odd course i played up there was Oakwood, almost seemed to be in someone's back paddock as i recall.

yea my GPS was different to the actual layout played, so maybe they have swapped some around? Oakwood is a paddock now...it closed recently I was told.

MAZA68
3rd June 2020, 04:47 PM
Played Gladstone GC today, the course itself was looking quite dry and needing some rain/watering. The layout of the course has changed recently with the 1st now a dogleg right short par 4 from in front of the clubhouse with the old 1st now the 3rd hole. The 9th is now a par 3 previously a par 5, making a 34/36 Par 70 layout. The two nines are quite different with the front nine having many short par 4's and quite open. The second nine having more length and tighter fairways. Overall the course is fairly flat with a creek running through parts of the course and an easy walk. Greens had recently been sliced but rolled ok, bunkers were pretty ordinary with hard packed sand. Considering it is the main course in town, I was expecting something of better quality. Had a pro shop but had very little stock to offer on the floor and the clubhouse was looking a bit rundown.

Gladstone GC Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 119 5413m. Green Fees $34.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51292&stc=1

MAZA68
4th June 2020, 11:14 AM
Played Boyne Island Tannum Sands (BITS) today, the course is a 13 Hole layout playing 1-5 twice for the full 18. The course itself is fairly flat with a few dams coming into play and fairways lined by tall gums. The Greens are well bunkered and well contoured, although a bit bumpy.
There are several dogleg holes which makes for challenging tee shots on both Par 4's and par5's. The Par 3 9th is a strong hole at 180m with water and trees looming.
With both courses played in the region the lack of water is something that sticks out, with BITS suffering more with numerous bare patches in the fairways.

Boyne Island Tannum Sands Par 72 Scratch 69 Slope 111 5785m. Green Fees $25.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51306&stc=1

Sydney Hacker
6th June 2020, 09:16 AM
Played Gladstone GC today, the course itself was looking quite dry and needing some rain/watering. The layout of the course has changed recently with the 1st now a dogleg right short par 4 from in front of the clubhouse with the old 1st now the 3rd hole. The 9th now a par 3 previously a par 5, making a 34/36 Par 70 layout. The two nines are quite different with the front nine having many short par 4's and quite open. The second nine having more length and tighter fairways. Overall the course is fairly flat with a creek running through parts of the course and an easy walk. Greens had recently been sliced but rolled ok, bunkers were pretty ordinary with hard packed sand. Considering it is the main course in town, I was expecting something of better quality. Had a pro shop but had very little stock to offer on the floor and the clubhouse was looking a bit rundown. Green fees at $34. Good round today with a 73.https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51292&stc=1Try Calliope if you are still there, it was a better layout but suffers for water.

MAZA68
6th June 2020, 05:30 PM
Try Calliope if you are still there, it was a better layout but suffers for water.

Thanks will try and do this one on the return journey.

benno_r
6th June 2020, 06:23 PM
Thanks will try and do this one on the return journey.Anything planned on the trip north?

Capricorn and Bowen highly recommended.

MAZA68
6th June 2020, 07:02 PM
Anything planned on the trip north?

Capricorn and Bowen highly recommended.

Hopefully quite a few, heading to Yeppoon tomorrow.

markTHEblake
6th June 2020, 07:25 PM
Yeppoon and Emu Park both enjoyable courses to play.

backintheswing
6th June 2020, 07:37 PM
I'm in Mackay if you want a hit

AndyP
6th June 2020, 09:02 PM
Emu Park is interesting to play. Whether you find that enjoyable is another matter.

hippo10
6th June 2020, 09:35 PM
Hopefully quite a few, heading to Yeppoon tomorrow. Yeppoon, Rockhampton and Capricorn are all enjoyable. Be prepared for firm greens at Yeppoon.

markTHEblake
6th June 2020, 10:45 PM
Emu Park is interesting to play. Whether you find that enjoyable is another matter. If you like it Wazza will like it. You two are so alike your mothers couldnt tell you apart.

AndyP
7th June 2020, 06:13 AM
I said interesting, not like.

MAZA68
7th June 2020, 06:36 PM
I'm in Mackay if you want a hit Be in Mackay in about two weeks, whats the best to play

backintheswing
7th June 2020, 06:44 PM
Mackay Golf Club is the premier 18 hole course in the region. The greens have had a few issues over the last couple of years, to the point where they are about to start to rip up 3 greens and trial tiff eagle. Rest of the course is in pretty good condition at the moment.

Sarina is a 16 hole country track, 30 mins south, quite hilly with tiny greens.

Pioneer Valley, 18 hole layout, about 30 mins West. Ok course and condition.

Black Springs is a 9 hole track with permanent preferred lie. Would be the last pic of the 4.

AndyP
7th June 2020, 08:10 PM
16 holes is a weird number. Did they start with nine then added extra over time?

backintheswing
7th June 2020, 09:59 PM
16 holes is a weird number. Did they start with nine then added extra over time?Yes, originally a 9 holer. Last time I played there, they were clearing more land, so it could be the final 2 holes being built.

MAZA68
10th June 2020, 04:07 PM
Played in the comp at Yeppoon Golf Club, with three friendly locals. The course is lined in medium/tall gums and built on a sloping/hilly site. OB features on a few holes including an internal OB on the 9th. There are several dog-legged par 4's and a few blind tee shots, where local knowledge helps! The putting surfaces were receptive and smooth to putt but not overly quick, with good bunkering to catch errant shots. Its not an overly long course but the slopes and doglegs will test your game.
Playing in the comp was good value at $26.
Yeppoon GC Par 71 Scratch 68 Slope 116. 5731m Green Fees $30

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51355&stc=1

MAZA68
12th June 2020, 08:03 PM
Checked out Rockhampton GC today, which has been on the site since 1920 and celebrating 100 Years, which is pretty impressive for a small city. Lots of big old trees, many probably inherited from the Botanic Gardens next door. Rocky is a testing layout at over 6000m, water in play on many holes, and sure to destroy a round especially over the last three holes. Nice lush fairways, good size greens and some lengthy holes with three Par 5's over 500m. Greens today were sandy and not great to putt which was disappointing. At normal operation they would be quite slick I'd imagine. 18th is good testy Par 3 at 163m uphill with water on both sides. Played off the White Tees, but off the Blue's it would be a stern test. Well worth a visit if your in the area.
Rockhampton GC Par 72 Scratch 71 Slope 118. 6152m Green Fees $31.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51401&stc=1

markTHEblake
15th June 2020, 10:25 AM
Watch out for the crocodile.

Are you going to play the North rocky golf course?

I was a member there when it first opened in 1985, only 9 holes. The 2nd hole there is a cracker. The 1st would have also been a good hole as it was designed to be a par 5, but never eventuated.

Would be interesting to see how its fared after all this time.

MAZA68
15th June 2020, 05:44 PM
Watch out for the crocodile.

Are you going to play the North rocky golf course?

I was a member there when it first opened in 1985, only 9 holes. The 2nd hole there is a cracker. The 1st would have also been a good hole as it was designed to be a par 5, but never eventuated.

Would be interesting to see how its fared after all this time.

Probably not, have got Emu Park and Capricorn Resort to get in before heading north again.

MAZA68
16th June 2020, 04:30 PM
Hit today at Emu Park, signs warning of Crocs but none sighted!
Emu Park is a hilly layout with a few blind shots from the tee and also into some greens as well. It pays to have a wonder up the fairway to see where the holes go. Condition for a country layout wasn't too bad, the fairways looked due for a mow and the greens were a bit ordinary but putted ok. Not sure, but drainage seemed to be an issue with several wet/muddy spots around and there hasn't been much rain recently. Design wise its an interesting layout once you work out where to go (or not) the 17th has to be the best hole on the course with a spectacular view from the tee and a 500+m Par 5, tough last hole as well in a 400m par 4 to an elevated green.

Emu Park GC Par 72 Scratch 70 Slope 125. 5715m Green Fees $25

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51406&stc=1

AndyP
16th June 2020, 07:27 PM
A bunch of us played there last year, and some of the holes were a bit crazy, but it was fun in a way.

MAZA68
17th June 2020, 09:21 AM
Yea, i noticed some locals taking on the 11th down the 12th fairway for a shortcut. The 90 degree par 4 is interesting as well.

MAZA68
18th June 2020, 04:45 PM
Last round on the Capricorn Coast today and saved the best to last - Capricorn Resort (International). While the resort/clubhouse has seen better days the golf course is still well maintained. A pretty windy day so choose to hit from the white tees today, that still has plenty of length at 6598m. The course is set in natural bushland, so is a pleasure to play with the peace and quite. Forget about looking for balls if you spray it wide! In saying that the fairways are pretty generous but there are a couple that you can run into water so driver is not always the option. Greens were very receptive with good putting surfaces except for the odd kangaroo foot print. Bunkers pretty average, with firm packed down sand. Water in play on quite a few holes with water to clear on Par 4's and Par 3's. Capricorn would be the best course in the region that I have played, with the course condition well above the others. Good value with cart for $40, the are currently closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays - maybe a COVID thing, not sure.

Capricorn Resort Par 72 Scratch 72 Slope 128. 6598m Green Fee $40 with Cart

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51415&stc=1

MAZA68
29th June 2020, 06:07 PM
Hit Mackay this week and had two rounds at contrasting courses:
Melaleuca - 9 holes, mainly par 3's, anything goes - groups of 5 or 6, shared clubs and can play in thongs if so desired.
Mackay - the main course here, full 18 holes and more traditional attire required.

Melaleuca is a very rough course but probably has potential if some money was put into it. A couple of short but challenging Par 4's with the rest of the holes being Par 3's all around the 130m mark. The greens were pretty rough looking but did putt okay. The area is swampy and I'd imagine would have a few drainage issues when the rain hits. Good fun course to play.
Par 58 no rating. 2886m $23 for 9 or 18 Holes

Next up was a hit at Mackay with backintheswing in the Monday comp, nothing exciting about the golf today but a good day out. The course was in good nick, even though we struck green renos half way round. Bits gave a good rundown on the course and with the changes coming it will be a much better course in the future. Greens were well bunkered even with some being removed, and the fairways were in good condition. Greens as said were being reno'd but actual were pretty quick when we struck ones that had been sanded and rolled.
Played off the whites, but playing off the blue tees would certainly add more challenge, especially the Par 3's.
Thanks for the hit Ash, really enjoyable day.

Mackay Par 71 Scratch 68 Slope 123. 5777m Green fee $40

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51509&stc=1

markTHEblake
29th June 2020, 06:23 PM
Yea, i noticed some locals taking on the 11th down the 12th fairway for a shortcut. The 90 degree par 4 is interesting as well.
seems nothing like the course when I played it, I think was 9 holes. now i see the course has evolved from 4 to 9 to 16 to 18 over a period of 40 years or so.
they have a great history write up, http://www.emuparkgolfclub.com.au/05_club_history.html
I (http://www.emuparkgolfclub.com.au/05_club_history.html)ts a shame that they do not build golf clubs like this anymore.

its also interesting that like many golf courses they would hire another local pro to help with design, who of course probably knew sweet buggar all about arkychectre.

markTHEblake
29th June 2020, 06:31 PM

MAZA68
29th June 2020, 08:05 PM
seems nothing like the course when I played it, I think was 9 holes. now i see the course has evolved from 4 to 9 to 16 to 18 over a period of 40 years or so.
they have a great history write up, http://www.emuparkgolfclub.com.au/05_club_history.html
I (http://www.emuparkgolfclub.com.au/05_club_history.html)ts a shame that they do not build golf clubs like this anymore.

its also interesting that like many golf courses they would hire another local pro to help with design, who of course probably knew sweet buggar all about arkychectre.

It is always interesting to read the history on these clubs and the amount of volunteer work that was done to give us the course we have today.

markTHEblake
29th June 2020, 08:56 PM
Yeah. Developers Cant make that

AndyP
29th June 2020, 10:18 PM
Some of the holes there should not be repeated anywhere.

MAZA68
30th June 2020, 04:55 PM
Some of the holes there should not be repeated anywhere.
Its a unique bit of land..

sheezymaneezy
2nd July 2020, 03:31 PM
Good read mate. Planning to do a golf trip between Mackay and Townsville, so be interested to see what courses we should be playing.

MAZA68
6th July 2020, 06:31 PM
x

MAZA68
6th July 2020, 07:31 PM
Staying in Airlie so a couple of rounds, one at Proserpine and one at the new 9 Hole Par3 - Whitsunday Greens.
Played in the Thursday comp at Proserpine with three locals, so got a bit of inside knowledge of the course. Proserpine is a 18 hole layout, very much a flat course with tree lined fairways for the best part and a bit of sugar cane thrown in on a couple of holes. There are several ponds and creeks/drains throughout the course some hidden from the tee - 2nd. In general the fairways are pretty generous, but offer very little in the way of run. Some good long Par 4's with the 7th being the toughest playing into the prevailing wind.
It was good to play with the locals, as when you finish the 7th, the 8th is across two fairways in the middle of the back nine! The greens were pretty ordinary, quite bumpy and slow. The locals told me due to the flooding the course gets they have trouble getting the greens consistent. A good course that plays harder then the rating it is given.

Proserpine GC Par 71 Scratch 69 Slope 113 5779m. Green Fee $35, Comp $18

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51570&stc=1

Whitsunday Greens is a brand new 9 hole par 3 layout, designed by Graham Papworth and part of a over 55's village, situated just as you come into Airlie Beach on the left.
The holes range from 45m up to 83m, where you tee off designated mats. A few ponds and bunkers to hit over along with a couple of creeks as well make the holes a visual challenge. The greens have a bit of undulation but held well and were a bit bumpy and slow to putt.
I guess they will settle down with time, the course only opened a week ago.
Depending on your wedge ability, only two or three clubs are needed. A fun compact par 3 course that you can take the kids (take a few balls) or have a laugh with a few mates.
There is also a driving range in the complex where your go an unleash later on.

Whitsunday Green Par 27 571m. $10 (opening deal) there after $15

https://www.whitsundaygreen.com.au/golf/

AndyP
6th July 2020, 09:38 PM
I'd call that second one a Pitch n Putt course, rather than par 3. There is one of those at Corinda with 28 holes.

MAZA68
7th July 2020, 06:36 PM
I'd call that second one a Pitch n Putt course, rather than par 3. There is one of those at Corinda with 28 holes.

Yea its pretty talked up, but yes a pitch n putt in reality. I did see a player hit hit a hybrid on a 45m hole and then said I was thinking about bringing my driver....

MAZA68
9th July 2020, 06:11 PM
Stopover in Ayr, so had a hit Karrie's old stomping ground. For a small town Ayr boasts an 18 Hole Championship Layout, that is treelined and has 150 plus mango trees including a couple of large groves around the course.
The course was in excellent condition with lush fairways and great putting surfaces, that were reasonably firm. With a couple of Par 5's at 500m or close to and good length Par 4's the course presents a good challenge. The are also a couple of good length Par 3's as well.
The course is an easy walk with gentle slopes and small elevation changes.
Overall I was pretty impressed with the course and surprised to find a course of this quality in a the area, well worth a stopover.

Ayr GC Par 71 Scratch 70 Slope 115 5861m. Green Fee $30.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51587&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51588&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=0&stc=1

MAZA68
13th July 2020, 05:25 PM
By passed Townsville due to school holidays and found a small "golf resort" north of Townsville Mystic Sands. It had dual benefits in that we could stay there with the caravan, play golf and the beaches were nearby, a win for all parties.
The resort itself is very laid back, with a small club house (with restaurant), swimming pool, bowling green and golf course.
The course at Mystic Sands is a 9 Green 18 tee layout with changes in length and angles for the second time round. The course itself works it way around a large native bush area which you are surrounded in until you return to the clubhouse area. Its an interesting layout with all greens raised and protected either by bunkers, humps and slopes to gather the errant approach. Some decent holes, the Par 3 9th at 205m is a good test, along with the 1st a short par 4 moving left to right with water right and two fairway bunkers to attract attention. The greens whilst not super quick were pretty true. They have had issues with the greens and there were a few bare patches from when they almost lost them completely.
A fun 9 hole course, which provides a good challenge and the benefit of being able to camp or caravan on site at a reasonable cost.
Note: no powered sites but showers and toilets are available in the clubhouse.

Mystic Sands Par 72 Scratch 70 Slope 115 5922m. Green Fee $20 9 or 18 Holes

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51600&stc=1

Buzz
15th July 2020, 07:48 PM
Inspiring thread Maza. I've played two courses in the last 18 months and the second one only once for 9 holes. I envy your golfing adventure trail!

MAZA68
15th July 2020, 08:06 PM
Inspiring thread Maza. I've played two courses in the last 18 months and the second one only once for 9 holes. I envy your golfing adventure trail!

Thanks Buzz. Its been an adventure in the planning for awhile, just lucky we can do it now.

Dcanto
15th July 2020, 08:28 PM
Thanks Buzz. Its been an adventure in the planning for awhile, just lucky we can do it now. What's the next stop? Are you heading back to Townsville or are you continuing North?

MAZA68
16th July 2020, 06:03 PM
What's the next stop? Are you heading back to Townsville or are you continuing North?

Currently Mission Beach then onto Cairns in a week.

Stuart
16th July 2020, 06:14 PM
Enjoying reading the thread by the way - thanks for posting it :)

markTHEblake
16th July 2020, 06:29 PM
Gunna have to do a Uturn eventually!

MAZA68
16th July 2020, 09:32 PM
Gunna have to do a Uturn eventually!

Maybe, don't have a house to come back to....

Dcanto
16th July 2020, 10:31 PM
Currently Mission Beach then onto Cairns in a week. An interesting stretch of 9 hole courses between there and Gordonvale. Actually between Cardwell and Gordonvale. Ingham would have been the last 18 hole course you went past.

MAZA68
17th July 2020, 05:47 PM
An interesting stretch of 9 hole courses between there and Gordonvale. Actually between Cardwell and Gordonvale. Ingham would have been the last 18 hole course you went past.

Yea, some interesting layouts so far in the 9 hole courses.

backintheswing
17th July 2020, 06:26 PM
An interesting stretch of 9 hole courses between there and Gordonvale. Actually between Cardwell and Gordonvale. Ingham would have been the last 18 hole course you went past.Is Innisfail a 9 holer too?

sheezymaneezy
17th July 2020, 06:40 PM
Didn't get the chance to play Hamilton Island or Bowen?

Dcanto
17th July 2020, 07:01 PM
Is Innisfail a 9 holer too? Yep.

MAZA68
17th July 2020, 08:00 PM
Didn't get the chance to play Hamilton Island or Bowen?

Would have been nice to play Hamilton Island but it was still closed when we passed through Airlie. Only had a stop over at Bowen so no time for a round the course looked quite good. Links type course right by the ocean, would be tough when the wind gets up.

Buzz
18th July 2020, 06:31 PM
Are they dedicated 9 hole courses or two sets of tees to make 18. My experience limited but I know Braidwood does that. 9 holes is just way too short for a good game of golf :D

MAZA68
18th July 2020, 07:32 PM
Are they dedicated 9 hole courses or two sets of tees to make 18. My experience limited but I know Braidwood does that. 9 holes is just way too short for a good game of golf :D

All the ones I've played are dedicated nine hole courses due to either space or cost of up keep - ie in small towns. They all generally have two sets of tee blocks although some use the same tee block but just vary the distance for the second nine.

MAZA68
21st July 2020, 01:55 PM
Doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate with a second round at our stopover in Mission Beach, so just the one round at El Arish. El Arish is a small flat 9 hole layout with no Par 5's, situated right beside the Bruce Highway. Tree lined with well look after fairways and views to the ranges make for a pleasant course to play. The back and front nines do not have a lot of variation except for changes in distance. The course was in very good condition with excellent putting surfaces that held well, a few bunkers and a small creek on a couple of holes. The course opens up for a 90 degree dogleg par 4, that if you don't get past the corner, you are blocked out by a large tree. There is a series of par 3's mid nine and then three par 4's to finish the nine. The 3rd is a short dogleg par 4 that presents the challenge of taking on the corner or just a 180m bunt to the corner with a short wedge in. The greens were a good speed but trimmed shorter would be tricky with the slopes and swales.
Good quality course but lacks the variety the second time around.

El Arish Par 64 Scratch 63 Slope 91 4517m. Green Fees $15 Honesty Box.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51663&stc=1

Had a quick look at Tully GC, which looked a similar layout to El Arish maybe a bit longer.

The other highlight of visiting Mission Beach is see the local Cassowary wander through the caravan park.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51664&stc=1

BUSHY
21st July 2020, 05:06 PM
Yeah mate, El Arish is a good little spot. Seeing a Cassowary like that is becoming exceedingly rare so kudos to that- looks like it was nice and close.

MAZA68
21st July 2020, 05:23 PM
Yeah mate, El Arish is a good little spot. Seeing a Cassowary like that is becoming exceedingly rare so kudos to that- looks like it was nice and close.

He wanders around the caravan park most days. Pops out of the bush beside us, just have to be quick to catch him.

Dcanto
21st July 2020, 06:18 PM
He wanders around the caravan park most days. Pops out of the bush beside us, just have to be quick to catch him. We've been camping at one of the parks at South Mission Beach a few times and there were regularly one or two wondering around. They are quick to spot any fruit left out accidentally. :)

MAZA68
21st July 2020, 07:05 PM
We've been camping at one of the parks at South Mission Beach a few times and there were regularly one or two wondering around. They are quick to spot any fruit left out accidentally. :)

yea he was investigating a campers site that had young kids so plenty of scraps about!
The park manager said he charges $50 per sighting, so I think I owe him about $200. Apparently the male that wanders around has a chick with him sometimes.

Courty
21st July 2020, 09:15 PM
There's an adult and juvenile that often show up at Etty Bay as well. They're used to people so they get pretty close.

Courty
25th July 2020, 07:30 PM
Looking forward to the review of Royal G. :mrgreen:

Dcanto
25th July 2020, 08:59 PM
Looking forward to the review of Royal G. :mrgreen: Why does everyone pick on poor old Royal G?

MAZA68
25th July 2020, 09:14 PM
Not sure where the Royal comes from but played the comp at Gordonvale today, its is an interesting place! I'd imagine there are few golf courses around that include a horse racing track in the layout. The course is made up of 9 holes inside the race track and 9 holes sitting in bushland outside the track at the far end. The first is a decent Par 4 at 400m with bunkers and a drainage channel lurking around the landing area. You then head outside the track and play seven holes set in bushland return to play Holes 9 through 14 on the inside of the track then scoot back into the bush to play two more holes and then finish with last two inside the track. The layout is generally flat with only small elevation changes, not to many bunkers with the inside track holes being open and exposed to the wind. The course condition is pretty good with well grassed fairways and the greens quite firm, although somewhat inconsistent.
There are some tricky dogleg holes and interesting Par 3's where the tree lines can make for challenging shots.

Gordonvale GC Par 70 Scratch 60 Slope 110 5480m. Green Fees $25.

Forgot to take some pics, but the course has some great views of the "Pyramid" Mountain and ranges, along with the traditional North Queensland sugar mill stack as back drops.

https://www.ozgolf.net/image/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQEAYABgAAD/2wBDACodICUgGiolIiUvLSoyP2lEPzo6P4FcYUxpmYagnpaGk5 GovfLNqLPltZGT0v/V5fr/////o8v///////L/////2wBDAS0vLz83P3xERHz/rpOu////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////wAARCAC0AJYDASIAAhEBAxEB/8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQEAAAAAAAAAAAECAwQFBgcICQoL/8QAtRAAAgEDAwIEAwUFBAQAAAF9AQIDAAQRBRIhMUEGE1FhByJ xFDKBkaEII0KxwRVS0fAkM2JyggkKFhcYGRolJicoKSo0NTY3O Dk6Q0RFRkdISUpTVFVWV1hZWmNkZWZnaGlqc3R1dnd4eXqDhIW Gh4iJipKTlJWWl5iZmqKjpKWmp6ipqrKztLW2t7i5usLDxMXGx 8jJytLT1NXW19jZ2uHi4+Tl5ufo6erx8vP09fb3+Pn6/8QAHwEAAwEBAQEBAQEBAQAAAAAAAAECAwQFBgcICQoL/8QAtREAAgECBAQDBAcFBAQAAQJ3AAECAxEEBSExBhJBUQdhcRM iMoEIFEKRobHBCSMzUvAVYnLRChYkNOEl8RcYGRomJygpKjU2N zg5OkNERUZHSElKU1RVVldYWVpjZGVmZ2hpanN0dXZ3eHl6goO EhYaHiImKkpOUlZaXmJmaoqOkpaanqKmqsrO0tba3uLm6wsPEx cbHyMnK0tPU1dbX2Nna4uPk5ebn6Onq8vP09fb3+Pn6/9oADAMBAAIRAxEAPwB9JTsUYroMRtJT8UmKAG0UpB9KesLNj3o uMioxV1YExjHNAthjBFTzIfKyjRVw269KPIRecZo5kHKynRVl1 BzgYFQiMs2BTTFYZSqMnFWGtyF4/KmpGQwJouFhgjOaXZjrUxbsKays1K47EXSkwamSHJ5qXyQDRzI LFTBoq7tAFFLnHylQsBTlXcuRnH0p7R4HIFQOrDIBIBobYkg2b pMK31OelPIEa/OR0zknmodwP+sbjoSKQuxO5SCexqOZlWLavjqKmRgarLnb60bj nGcVbVyb2LJlCnmm+f2FV269aQ+1HKPmLW4kU05NRIsjYxU6xO x+YgD2qWrDuAUEc0oCjoMU5YQD94mpNi+lK4yPrQEzTztAqNpA KQCFQDxScCmtJnpTSSaYD94FL5lRGk6UAS7s0VC0m3sTRSuBaA BPPNUy3lysGcFM46ZqyoBXPGCKouyrJk8qDn8KbEhGUCRgQdvU Z/rRFy4QdSe9Tu4YDBG5gM+9PtIVLmYsO4CrUjJY4gi4B/OmSRc8VZUc0NgVSdhWK0Vtu5fgelS+RGpyM/nTvMwMCmGTmi7YWSHAYNODe9Q7xTS/pSsMsMwHeomlx0NQlmpuc07BceZCaYTmlxRimkJsBS5pMUuKfK K4hJqJ3z8oJ45qR8bDk4FQqw+b368VMtBpjQ31I9aKQNkZLYHb HFFZFDluDJHhx8x/D8aiZ1cZOCR0J703eEJG0EkAZzytQklc7gCAetWxFrzTJgD0JA 9KW2Y/aFcsfvHgnrUMRAVjxmjzApBUnjk55FCBmyZKaz5qDzh5Ssw5Po KeDlScY+taKxDbHHOKbtJ70Rsrn6ds06V0TjOPagBm0+tMMiK2 0n/Co5Jd3A4FQNmi4WLxHHWkxVSKdo+DyvpVuORJPunJ9D1qkxNC4 oxTgpoIouIbilxQGBOM/nSF1AJBz24ougsLjP0qq/zbsZAHFTGUMnAxUDffAPQVjOVzSKEHA29MUUj5I+XOc9jiis7X KIbnYZA0fKkZzjAPuKGhkUKWyykblPrUkRgEuXkYIB8oxnBqLH zAF9/zevQVoxDok+bJJAbGagJII7djVgtz8p6DB71WYk9j0wDSQF0To CoGRTBduuQD8p9qpgliB1NSAlVII49aALsMw2nbwx7+1IWHUtz 3qkh3Njpx61NmrQiVnH8OTSfw8/rRH0PrUZ37xgk5pX1sFh47/SlK4Gehpfupzw3f2qKSRu4FHMFi5a3TKwEnzr/e7irDygqSGGKzYiW4HSn79rHHI702BLIy9wR6d8U1DkjaAc8+l IDkE44HQ1GVY5AGfc1Fhj2ck5JGB1pHcDB+8COgpvAcqo5460s atv8AvZUcAGoYwkODzuwem3tRRIuADnk/lRQBSLE88+1KSynrzTA+3gZqWNTJnuM+taCER2+bJ9D+tShG8v dwcdB3FNZfm+4QDjipM7iVAHyk59OtJjGBRu4yOBk+lJIGAO49 TTl4SXhi2AenvSuHaIko271x14pAQqPl3HA7CrERUgg4zjuarq hX7wzn1B4qWFIwd8jsOo2gf1p3ESx9SM9e+acxATLDnoB61A4K jckgZieh4pd5ZNzLk7uVHOaT1AmVw6EsOnY1FIBgYxjH5VC28A E5HPHBqaOCVl/eKQDyN1AxbfABPJz+lK7AkhF3Nn1pG3LuUISMZzjrTF8zcP3TD 3xRcCYkiPj16YoWUBgMj6DmkXMmA7Oh64CZOM/WknhRYwxBAY/eIwTSAlJXc5xjnBNGSu4gk56cUJFK0ZlVcIxJ59c03aWU7XztP UDk81LQDGOSCzBSR370Uv2U5yW69s9KKegCtaQ+if8AfY/xpRaxjps/7+f/AF6Pscv+x+v+FH2SX/Y/X/Ci/mAfZ+QflP8AwMf40ipKxbnblieXApfssnt+RpPsrjuKL+YgMcw Oc5Prvo2T56N+DCl+zP2KfnSG2k/2fwNFwHBLgdA//fQpQtx3L/8AfQpn2aXsB+dL9mk7sB+NACkzDqG/OkzN3U/99Unkkfxr+dIY2HdT+IpgKWl9D/31SfOex/76phGPT86TrQBL+89f1oxJ/eP/AH1TAj9lb8jTvJlb+A/iKAEVvmcMMuQO/P8A9fpSSGSOOOMq4VhwWz8ualiilinMgiBwcgbvalmjmeAR7C5 b5nLN0bPandDFa4aWBck/M3Kr0xzjj8KRUY9Fk/ICmLazBYU4AGd+D707yrjsv/jwqW0DH7ZB/wA9B9TRUfkzd0z+IopAWhcZ/iH/AH2Kd5mejr+dZ5hPoT+FJ5Ten50uVAaHmH+8n50GVvVf++qoCJ vVRS+Wf76/rT5UBaaST1H5ik8yT/JFVtg/56fkDSeWD0LH8KLCLfmv3/XFHnkdSv5VT8o9g/5UGF/7j/lTsgLRuwOgU/hSG7/2BVbyn/utQI2/u0WQFn7Xn/lkPzpftLf88x/31Vby2/u0eWaLICybpv8Ann/49SfbG/55/wDj1V9mP4hSFf8AbFKyAsG8P/PMfnSfbR3Sq5H+1TcD1p8qC5b+2r/dP6Uv2xf7rfpVI7aMijlQF37Yvo35CiqOaKOVAWDEv98U0og6v +lHlv8A3j+VIUcdz+VMBdsY/jP5Un7v+835U3a/v+VJh/f8qAHEp6t+VJuHZmpMPRtamA7ef77fnR/wM03Y1GxqBDto/vUbV9aYVYdqMkdhQBJtHvRhfSmbj/dFHP8AdFADvl9KQlfSmnPpTefSgY7I9KQmkpM0CFopKKBi0UlF AEvmkdz+dKJRj+L86ZgdyaML60ASiRO7PS+anq34mosLSfLRYC wJo8/404Tp7VVyKbSsBd+0J3K/lQbhD/FVKijlQFsyqf46YWQ/x1XzRzRYCU7f7wppC/3hUeTRTEOxnvSEelJRTAMUUZozQAlLSGigYoopKKAF/Cl6VIWHfrSbge2KVwGZpKkyuelIStADKOak3L6ZpuRQAmDRgml 4ozg0wEwaTB9KXd3pNxoAMGijNFAgzRRil280hiUlO28UY6igB tFPCjPWl2jsaAI8UVJszRQAjdT9Kb3HvRRQAUlFFAAOlOxRRQA DmjqM0UUxCgDZnvmlCgj8KKKQCbRnFJgZNFFAxWUBwO1DADpRR QAYpCeB7miigB6jj8DTM9fpRRQADmiiigD/2Q==
https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51724&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51725&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/image/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQEAYABgAAD/2wBDACodICUgGiolIiUvLSoyP2lEPzo6P4FcYUxpmYagnpaGk5 GovfLNqLPltZGT0v/V5fr/////o8v///////L/////2wBDAS0vLz83P3xERHz/rpOu////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////wAARCAC0AJYDASIAAhEBAxEB/8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQEAAAAAAAAAAAECAwQFBgcICQoL/8QAtRAAAgEDAwIEAwUFBAQAAAF9AQIDAAQRBRIhMUEGE1FhByJ xFDKBkaEII0KxwRVS0fAkM2JyggkKFhcYGRolJicoKSo0NTY3O Dk6Q0RFRkdISUpTVFVWV1hZWmNkZWZnaGlqc3R1dnd4eXqDhIW Gh4iJipKTlJWWl5iZmqKjpKWmp6ipqrKztLW2t7i5usLDxMXGx 8jJytLT1NXW19jZ2uHi4+Tl5ufo6erx8vP09fb3+Pn6/8QAHwEAAwEBAQEBAQEBAQAAAAAAAAECAwQFBgcICQoL/8QAtREAAgECBAQDBAcFBAQAAQJ3AAECAxEEBSExBhJBUQdhcRM iMoEIFEKRobHBCSMzUvAVYnLRChYkNOEl8RcYGRomJygpKjU2N zg5OkNERUZHSElKU1RVVldYWVpjZGVmZ2hpanN0dXZ3eHl6goO EhYaHiImKkpOUlZaXmJmaoqOkpaanqKmqsrO0tba3uLm6wsPEx cbHyMnK0tPU1dbX2Nna4uPk5ebn6Onq8vP09fb3+Pn6/9oADAMBAAIRAxEAPwB9JTsUYroMRtJT8UmKAG0UpB9KesLNj3o uMioxV1YExjHNAthjBFTzIfKyjRVw269KPIRecZo5kHKynRVl1 BzgYFQiMs2BTTFYZSqMnFWGtyF4/KmpGQwJouFhgjOaXZjrUxbsKays1K47EXSkwamSHJ5qXyQDRzI LFTBoq7tAFFLnHylQsBTlXcuRnH0p7R4HIFQOrDIBIBobYkg2b pMK31OelPIEa/OR0zknmodwP+sbjoSKQuxO5SCexqOZlWLavjqKmRgarLnb60bj nGcVbVyb2LJlCnmm+f2FV269aQ+1HKPmLW4kU05NRIsjYxU6xO x+YgD2qWrDuAUEc0oCjoMU5YQD94mpNi+lK4yPrQEzTztAqNpA KQCFQDxScCmtJnpTSSaYD94FL5lRGk6UAS7s0VC0m3sTRSuBaA BPPNUy3lysGcFM46ZqyoBXPGCKouyrJk8qDn8KbEhGUCRgQdvU Z/rRFy4QdSe9Tu4YDBG5gM+9PtIVLmYsO4CrUjJY4gi4B/OmSRc8VZUc0NgVSdhWK0Vtu5fgelS+RGpyM/nTvMwMCmGTmi7YWSHAYNODe9Q7xTS/pSsMsMwHeomlx0NQlmpuc07BceZCaYTmlxRimkJsBS5pMUuKfK K4hJqJ3z8oJ45qR8bDk4FQqw+b368VMtBpjQ31I9aKQNkZLYHb HFFZFDluDJHhx8x/D8aiZ1cZOCR0J703eEJG0EkAZzytQklc7gCAetWxFrzTJgD0JA 9KW2Y/aFcsfvHgnrUMRAVjxmjzApBUnjk55FCBmyZKaz5qDzh5Ssw5Po KeDlScY+taKxDbHHOKbtJ70Rsrn6ds06V0TjOPagBm0+tMMiK2 0n/Co5Jd3A4FQNmi4WLxHHWkxVSKdo+DyvpVuORJPunJ9D1qkxNC4 oxTgpoIouIbilxQGBOM/nSF1AJBz24ougsLjP0qq/zbsZAHFTGUMnAxUDffAPQVjOVzSKEHA29MUUj5I+XOc9jiis7X KIbnYZA0fKkZzjAPuKGhkUKWyykblPrUkRgEuXkYIB8oxnBqLH zAF9/zevQVoxDok+bJJAbGagJII7djVgtz8p6DB71WYk9j0wDSQF0To CoGRTBduuQD8p9qpgliB1NSAlVII49aALsMw2nbwx7+1IWHUtz 3qkh3Njpx61NmrQiVnH8OTSfw8/rRH0PrUZ37xgk5pX1sFh47/SlK4Gehpfupzw3f2qKSRu4FHMFi5a3TKwEnzr/e7irDygqSGGKzYiW4HSn79rHHI702BLIy9wR6d8U1DkjaAc8+l IDkE44HQ1GVY5AGfc1Fhj2ck5JGB1pHcDB+8COgpvAcqo5460s atv8AvZUcAGoYwkODzuwem3tRRIuADnk/lRQBSLE88+1KSynrzTA+3gZqWNTJnuM+taCER2+bJ9D+tShG8v dwcdB3FNZfm+4QDjipM7iVAHyk59OtJjGBRu4yOBk+lJIGAO49 TTl4SXhi2AenvSuHaIko271x14pAQqPl3HA7CrERUgg4zjuarq hX7wzn1B4qWFIwd8jsOo2gf1p3ESx9SM9e+acxATLDnoB61A4K jckgZieh4pd5ZNzLk7uVHOaT1AmVw6EsOnY1FIBgYxjH5VC28A E5HPHBqaOCVl/eKQDyN1AxbfABPJz+lK7AkhF3Nn1pG3LuUISMZzjrTF8zcP3TD 3xRcCYkiPj16YoWUBgMj6DmkXMmA7Oh64CZOM/WknhRYwxBAY/eIwTSAlJXc5xjnBNGSu4gk56cUJFK0ZlVcIxJ59c03aWU7XztP UDk81LQDGOSCzBSR370Uv2U5yW69s9KKegCtaQ+if8AfY/xpRaxjps/7+f/AF6Pscv+x+v+FH2SX/Y/X/Ci/mAfZ+QflP8AwMf40ipKxbnblieXApfssnt+RpPsrjuKL+YgMcw Oc5Prvo2T56N+DCl+zP2KfnSG2k/2fwNFwHBLgdA//fQpQtx3L/8AfQpn2aXsB+dL9mk7sB+NACkzDqG/OkzN3U/99Unkkfxr+dIY2HdT+IpgKWl9D/31SfOex/76phGPT86TrQBL+89f1oxJ/eP/AH1TAj9lb8jTvJlb+A/iKAEVvmcMMuQO/P8A9fpSSGSOOOMq4VhwWz8ualiilinMgiBwcgbvalmjmeAR7C5 b5nLN0bPandDFa4aWBck/M3Kr0xzjj8KRUY9Fk/ICmLazBYU4AGd+D707yrjsv/jwqW0DH7ZB/wA9B9TRUfkzd0z+IopAWhcZ/iH/AH2Kd5mejr+dZ5hPoT+FJ5Ten50uVAaHmH+8n50GVvVf++qoCJ vVRS+Wf76/rT5UBaaST1H5ik8yT/JFVtg/56fkDSeWD0LH8KLCLfmv3/XFHnkdSv5VT8o9g/5UGF/7j/lTsgLRuwOgU/hSG7/2BVbyn/utQI2/u0WQFn7Xn/lkPzpftLf88x/31Vby2/u0eWaLICybpv8Ann/49SfbG/55/wDj1V9mP4hSFf8AbFKyAsG8P/PMfnSfbR3Sq5H+1TcD1p8qC5b+2r/dP6Uv2xf7rfpVI7aMijlQF37Yvo35CiqOaKOVAWDEv98U0og6v +lHlv8A3j+VIUcdz+VMBdsY/jP5Un7v+835U3a/v+VJh/f8qAHEp6t+VJuHZmpMPRtamA7ef77fnR/wM03Y1GxqBDto/vUbV9aYVYdqMkdhQBJtHvRhfSmbj/dFHP8AdFADvl9KQlfSmnPpTefSgY7I9KQmkpM0CFopKKBi0UlF AEvmkdz+dKJRj+L86ZgdyaML60ASiRO7PS+anq34mosLSfLRYC wJo8/404Tp7VVyKbSsBd+0J3K/lQbhD/FVKijlQFsyqf46YWQ/x1XzRzRYCU7f7wppC/3hUeTRTEOxnvSEelJRTAMUUZozQAlLSGigYoopKKAF/Cl6VIWHfrSbge2KVwGZpKkyuelIStADKOak3L6ZpuRQAmDRgml 4ozg0wEwaTB9KXd3pNxoAMGijNFAgzRRil280hiUlO28UY6igB tFPCjPWl2jsaAI8UVJszRQAjdT9Kb3HvRRQAUlFFAAOlOxRRQA DmjqM0UUxCgDZnvmlCgj8KKKQCbRnFJgZNFFAxWUBwO1DADpRR QAYpCeB7miigB6jj8DTM9fpRRQADmiiigD/2Q==

Dcanto
25th July 2020, 10:12 PM
Ingham Golf Club is a bit like that in regards to having holes in the middle of the horse track.

markTHEblake
25th July 2020, 11:32 PM
Yeah. Ingham has one hole where you tee off over the track, so the rails are not far in front of you, a skinny tee shot would see the ball come backwards :-)

Dcanto
26th July 2020, 12:48 PM
Yeah. Ingham has one hole where you tee off over the track, so the rails are not far in front of you, a skinny tee shot would see the ball come backwards :-) Yep, remember that hole well.

markTHEblake
26th July 2020, 06:33 PM
Almost driveable par 4 right?

Dcanto
26th July 2020, 07:56 PM
Almost driveable par 4 right? The hole I remember was a par 5. I recall it was the 1st / 15th. Ingham has 15 greens but 18 different tees.

MAZA68
26th July 2020, 08:03 PM
Gordonvale has more risk of getting clocked by a stray shot when you play the holes inside the track.

markTHEblake
26th July 2020, 08:07 PM
Ok thats not what i am thinking of. My memory is the 4th. Teed of just outside the tracks aiming inside. Or might have been a back tee on 2nd ( parallel to the 1st coming straight back to clubhouse) Whichever hole, it was the tee was down by the 1st green a veey long par 5.

It wasnt 18 then, but more than 9

BUSHY
26th July 2020, 08:11 PM
Gordonvale has more risk of getting clocked by a stray shot when you play the holes inside the track.

Oh yeah! Take your pick playing 1, 9, 10, 11 or even 14 and 18. I’ve seen some close calls before there.

Dcanto
26th July 2020, 11:44 PM
Oh yeah! Take your pick playing 1, 9, 10, 11 or even 14 and 18. I’ve seen some close calls before there. Absolutely.

Dcanto
26th July 2020, 11:49 PM
Ok thats not what i am thinking of. My memory is the 4th. Teed of just outside the tracks aiming inside. Or might have been a back tee on 2nd ( parallel to the 1st coming straight back to clubhouse) Whichever hole, it was the tee was down by the 1st green a veey long par 5.It wasnt 18 then, but more than 9 I remember my Aunt, who was a member, saying something about the routing being changed about 20 years ago. That possibly included one of the holes no longer having its tees outside the racetrack due to issues with the turf club.

markTHEblake
27th July 2020, 08:16 AM
I can imagine that it might have frightened the horses.

I turned 21 at the Ingham golf clubhouse. Got very drunk with Terry Costello (pro) his lady friend, and Norm Smith ( captain)

Toxic
27th July 2020, 06:19 PM
Not sure where the Royal comes from but played the comp at Gordonvale today, its is an interesting place! I'd imagine there are few golf courses around that include a horse racing track in the layout. The course is made up of 9 holes inside the race track and 9 holes sitting in bushland outside the track at the far end. The first is a decent Par 4 at 400m with bunkers and a drainage channel lurking around the landing area. You then head outside the track and play seven holes set in bushland return to play Holes 9 through 14 on the inside of the track then scoot back into the bush to play two more holes and then finish with last two inside the track. The layout is generally flat with only small elevation changes, not to many bunkers with the inside track holes being open and exposed to the wind. The course condition is pretty good with well grassed fairways and the greens quite firm, although somewhat inconsistent. There are some tricky dogleg holes and interesting Par 3's where the tree lines can make for challenging shots. Gordonvale GC Par 70 Scratch 60 Slope 110 5480m. Green Fees $25.Forgot to take some pics, but the course has some great views of the "Pyramid" Mountain and ranges, along with the traditional North Queensland sugar mill stack as back drops. Yea and Drouin also have horse track action

MAZA68
27th July 2020, 07:54 PM
Yea and Drouin also have horse track action

Cool, there are more. Might need a new thread, golf courses with extra attractions.

flathook
27th July 2020, 10:25 PM
Ratho in Tassie had the sheep stalls you hit over from the 10th tee and fenced off greens when I played many years ago.

hippo10
28th July 2020, 01:00 AM
I think the poster child for courses in racetracks is Musselburgh (http://www.musselburgholdlinks.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=16)in Scotland, 6 time host of the open championship and in existence since at least 1672.

Speaking of the potential for balls to come flying back at you, this is the tee shot on a course I played last year (the 11th at Chateau de Maintenon).
https://i.imgur.com/jzOVgH9.jpg

MAZA68
29th July 2020, 09:42 PM
The Half Moon Bay Golf Course is an unusual layout, can't say I have played a course where you don't need to hit a driver until the 6th Hole and then there are several holes after this where driver is not required either. Lots of blind tee shots and short Par 4's where local knowledge helps, as trouble lurks! The course was in reasonable condition, with most greens being pretty quick, protected by slopes and a few bunkers and some tricky pin placements. Plenty of water, swamps and trees protect the course, along with OB on a few holes.
Maybe played a few times the course would give a better impression, but to me it was a bit of an odd layout.

Half Moon Bay GC Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 122 5109m. Green Fee $45

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51767&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51768&stc=1

Dcanto
29th July 2020, 10:20 PM
The Half Moon Bay Golf Course is an unusual layout, can't say I have played a course where you don't need to hit a driver until the 6th Hole and then there are several holes after this where driver is not required either. Lots of blind tee shots and short Par 4's where local knowledge helps, as trouble lurks! The course was in reasonable condition, with most greens being pretty quick, protected by slopes and a few bunkers and some tricky pin placements. Plenty of water, swamps and trees protect the course, along with OB on a few holes. Maybe played a few times the course would give a better impression, but to me it was a bit of an odd layout.Half Moon Bay GC Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 122 5109m. Green Fee $45https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51767&stc=1https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51768&stc=1 It certainly does have a few quirky holes - the 5th being the most notable. Part of 5, all of 6 and part of 7 have been built on what was once the local council tip. It's my understanding that there are also some strict environmental restrictions on the course due to its proximity to the beach and the mangroves. It is the sort of place you need to play more than once. I'm currently a member at HMB, the course does grow on you.

MAZA68
31st July 2020, 09:15 AM
It certainly does have a few quirky holes - the 5th being the most notable. Part of 5, all of 6 and part of 7 have been built on what was once the local council tip. It's my understanding that there are also some strict environmental restrictions on the course due to its proximity to the beach and the mangroves. It is the sort of place you need to play more than once. I'm currently a member at HMB, the course does grow on you. Yea the 5th is an interesting one, and certainly playing the course a few times would help. In saying that, the locals I played with found plenty of trouble.

AndyP
31st July 2020, 11:55 AM
It's the best course that I have played that has stink pipes.

MAZA68
6th August 2020, 08:35 PM
Mossman GC Par 72 Scratch 71 Slope 122 Blue Tees 5879m.

The course is a fairly flat layout, raised greens, tree lined with pockets of rainforest scattered around the course. Several water hazards around the course, with creeks, ponds and a few drainage channels running throughout the course - minimal bunkers. Course was in very good condition, fairways were firm and greens receptive. The Greens themselves were quite quick and very grainy, but once adjusted to them were good to putt on.
The course has a good mix of holes 5x Par 3's 5x Par 5's 8x Par 4's, the front nine most fairways are quite generous, with a tighter section (14, 15, 16) on the back nine. A couple of dogleg Par 4's and 5's were a risk/reward with the driver is an option.
Overall an enjoyable course to play, with the ever present rainforest covered ranges in the background and patch's of North Queensland sugar cane.

Greens Fees $35 - but running a special @ $15 at the moment.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51796&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51795&stc=1

number9
6th August 2020, 09:09 PM
fairways were firm and greens receptive.

I couldn't believe the spin I was getting around the greens at Mossman, landed a few pin high that ripped off the front. Being a member and local at Cairns that's just unheard of.

Course reminds me of the Gordonvale goat track, the first handful of holes are nice and flat, up and backs, with the back 9 a little bit more interesting.

MAZA68
6th August 2020, 09:15 PM
I couldn't believe the spin I was getting around the greens at Mossman, landed a few pin high that ripped off the front. Being a member and local at Cairns that's just unheard of.

Course reminds me of the Gordonvale goat track, the first handful of holes are nice and flat, up and backs, with the back 9 a little bit more interesting.

On condition alone I would put it well ahead of Gordanvale.

Dcanto
7th August 2020, 09:57 AM
On condition alone I would put it well ahead of Gordanvale. The condition of Mossman surprises me given the reported financial challenges that the club has been facing in recent times. Good to hear that the course is in good condition regardless. I'll admit to having a soft spot for Gordonvale as it was where I first learned to play golf. Given its limited financial resources I think the criticism of it can sometimes be a bit over the top. Having said that, Gordonvale could learn some lessons from places like Mossman. I believe they are trying - they actually cored and sanded their greens for the first time in 8 years last year.

MAZA68
7th August 2020, 07:08 PM
https://www.newsport.com.au/2020/july/council-comes-to-the-aid-of-the-mossman-golf-club/

T (https://www.newsport.com.au/2020/july/council-comes-to-the-aid-of-the-mossman-golf-club/)his might help Mossman in the future.

MAZA68
11th August 2020, 08:06 PM
Atherton GC Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 113 5588m
Green Fees $30 or $15 Mon Tue & Fri

The course is a full eighteen hole layout starting with five holes on the clubhouse side and then a walk across the ride to play 12 holes and then finish with a Par 3 in front of the clubhouse. There is has a mix of flat and sloping fairways, average size greens, limited bunkers and a few water hazards. With only a couple of Par 5's the course is not overly long and has a few shortish Par 4's, but also has a couple of Par 4's at 400m+ as well. All holes are tree lined and whilst some fairways are generous there a are few tighter holes where the trees will come into play more. The greens when played were superb, smooth and quick (would some of the best played on), with a bit of slope on some, made for some interesting putt! The course for a small town and I believe one greenkeeper is a credit to the area.
Overall the course was interesting to play not overly difficult, with a good mix of holes and in great condition.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51809&stc=1

Courty
11th August 2020, 09:07 PM
Atherton GC Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 113 5588m
Green Fees $30 or $15 Mon Tue & Fri

The course is a full eighteen hole layout starting with five holes on the clubhouse side and then a walk across the ride to play 12 holes and then finish with a Par 3 in front of the clubhouse. There is has a mix of flat and sloping fairways, average size greens, limited bunkers and a few water hazards. With only a couple of Par 5's the course is not overly long and has a few shortish Par 4's, but also has a couple of Par 4's at 400m+ as well. All holes are tree lined and whilst some fairways are generous there a are few tighter holes where the trees will come into play more. The greens when played were superb, smooth and quick (would some of the best played on), with a bit of slope on some, made for some interesting putt! The course for a small town and I believe one greenkeeper is a credit to the area.
Overall the course was interesting to play not overly difficult, with a good mix of holes and in great condition.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51809&stc=1

Nice one. I really enjoy the Atherton layout. Brendan (greenkeeper) has done a great job up there. The greens would still be slick from their open last weekend. They're not like that all year 'round though (luckily).

MAZA68
18th August 2020, 08:18 PM
https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51832&stc=1

Rowes Bay GC Par 73 Scratch 72 Slope 116 6155m
Greens Fees $32 - $22 if a member of an affiliated Golf Club.

Rowes is a linksy type course, flat with wide fairways, quite a few water hazards that come into play on several holes but not a lot of bunkers. The front nine features three par 5's (two back to back) and three Par 3's with water creeping in on only a couple of holes. The back nine features water a lot more with three water carries into greens and also fringing several fairways. A couple of tricky short Par 4's where you need to play a couple of times to work out the line as water will catch you out. Good finishing hole with bunkers on your driving line and a water hazard to carry into the green all sitting in front of the clubhouse.
The fairways were in great condition, but outside of the fairways there were several bare areas. The greens were silky smooth and quick but held approaches well, up there with the best played. Wind plays a factor on the course being close to the sea, today was a Northly breeze, which gave a few into and some downwind holes. With the wind from the other direction the course I think would play tougher.
Rowes also features a separate 9 hole Par 3 course, for a quick round if you so desired.
Overall a good course to play, presented in great condition with plenty to test your game with the variety of holes.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51834&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51833&stc=1

MAZA68
4th September 2020, 07:28 PM
Sarina GC Par 71 Scratch 70 Slope 113 5820m

First game in a few weeks due to smashing my toe on a rock, so managed to walk around in runners today.

Sarina is a 16 Hole layout with the 1st & 2nd played twice to complete the 18. The course is a hilly layout with lots of up and down (particularly the front 9) hill shots to contend with, throw in a few blind shots, it makes for an interesting layout. The fairways in most part are generous but if you stray off line there is thick tree line to contend with. I would put the greens as average in size, not heavily bunkered and were a reasonable speed. A few of the greens, mainly the back nine were a bit patchy in places. Sarina has a good mix of short and long par 4's and some testy par 5's. Best holes I found were the 5th 491m Par 5 with a tee shot into a valley, then a mostly blind second to a green tucked up in the corner, where the second shot goes will leave the options for the approach. The 13th was a strong Par 4 at 401m, OB all down the right-side playing into the wind with the green tucked in 10m or so from the OB fence.
Overall a well looked after course, with some testing holes and interesting layout.

Green Fees $22 if a member of a golf club, otherwise I think it was $28.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51906&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51905&stc=1

backintheswing
4th September 2020, 09:30 PM
Nice review Maza, I took benno_r for a round there in July. Greens had a disease then and I hear are just starting to come back,. Usually they are really good.

MAZA68
5th September 2020, 04:40 PM
Nice review Maza, I took benno_r for a round there in July. Greens had a disease then and I hear are just starting to come back,. Usually they are really good.
Guys I chatted to said the greens were usually really good. Trimmed down those downhill putts would be pretty slick. Still a good course to play though.

MAZA68
9th September 2020, 08:19 PM
Emerald GC Par 70 Scratch 68 Slope 113 5779m

There is only one way to describe the Emerald Golf Couse at the moment....very very dry, no decent rain for over 5 months as well as being restricted on water access from the river. The Greenkeeper I spoke to said they are shortly going to commission a new recycled water system that will improve the course no end. Apart from the Greens (that are only just keeping ok) and the tee blocks, the rest of the course is devoid of green grass, in fact grass at all. The majority of the fairways are bare dirt and in some areas hard pan, which presents its challenges - plenty of run as long as it is in the right direction. The layout is a good challenge and in better condition would present some tough holes in lengthy Par 4's and 5's. The Greens whilst looking like they need a good drink, held a shot and putted well and were reasonably quick.

The 9th and 18th Holes have the clubhouse in sight on the shots into the green and anything two long would end up in the clubhouse.
The best holes I thought were the Par 5 6th hole at 527m a double dog leg, with a carry over the trees to reward a good second shoot, water and bush all down the right side. The Par 3 9th hole at 155m requires a carry over a valley with the green perched on the side of the hill with OB and clubhouse to the rear and right side of the green. The Par 5 13th Hole at 529m is another double bend fairway, hitting drive to a plateau, then a second over trees or turning it right to left to find the fairway - maybe even a creek in play when water is around!

Overall, apart from the overly dry conditions the course is a nice layout with lots of humps and hollows to think about where to hit your shot and some interesting holes. Obviously in better conditions the course would play very differently. The greens were good to putt on and had limited bunkers. I would say there would be some more water in play on a few holes when its around!
Something different... had to wipe off my bag after the round as it was covered in dust!

Greens Fees $28

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51915&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51914&stc=1

markTHEblake
10th September 2020, 10:15 PM
My distant memory of Emerald is that there quite a few really good holes making use of the undulations.

One of those two par 5's you mentioned was really tough, first two shots were like threading a needle.

MAZA68
11th September 2020, 07:09 PM
My distant memory of Emerald is that there quite a few really good holes making use of the undulations.

One of those two par 5's you mentioned was really tough, first two shots were like threading a needle.

Yea a few holes are tight in places and if you hit the wrong side of the humps you can be playing from a difficult spot.

MAZA68
11th September 2020, 07:42 PM
Gracemere Lakes GC Par 72 Slope 111 Scratch 68 5603m

Green Fees $20

Gracemere Lakes is a nine hole course situated 15 minutes inland from Rockhampton. The course is a 9 hole layout with alternate tees for the second nine, which in most cases change the length and line on the second time around. Gracemere is fairly flat, with a waterway running through a number of holes and along the side a few as well. Water carries are required on a some holes but come most into play on the 8th/17th 1st/10th and 5th/14th. No bunkers on the course, fairways were pretty good but fairway placing was in play for the odd dodgy lie. Greens were all generally raised and small/medium with a bit of slope to some. The surfaces were a bit mixed bag, some had a good putting surface while others were bumpy but they did hold a shot well.
Highlight holes would be the 8th/17th a 451/488m Par 5 where a good tee shot will present the option to take on the waterway that is 25m wide, the layup to the water is also tricky as the fairway slopes down to the water, small raised green with a deep hollow in front to carry as well. The 18th is a good finishing hole at 165m Par 3 playing into a stiff breeze, looking at a narrow green from the tee block, which slopes from left to right.
Overall Gracemere Lakes (not sure where the lakes are) is an average nine hole country course with some tricky holes, more consistent putting surfaces would be improve it. Huge coal trains regularly cruise past the course, which makes for an interesting site.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51917&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51916&stc=1

markTHEblake
12th September 2020, 06:11 AM
You going backward? Either that or you decided nothings better the other side of Emerald.

Sydney Hacker
12th September 2020, 06:34 AM
My distant memory of Emerald is that there quite a few really good holes making use of the undulations. One of those two par 5's you mentioned was really tough, first two shots were like threading a needle. My home town, there are some really good holes there, if only they could get some water onto the course. Hopefully the recycled water helps, but when the dam is at 12% and has been for some time they will continue to struggle.

MAZA68
15th September 2020, 08:34 PM
My home town, there are some really good holes there, if only they could get some water onto the course. Hopefully the recycled water helps, but when the dam is at 12% and has been for some time they will continue to struggle.

Oh wow, that explains why the end of the boat ramp was 50m from the lake shore.

MAZA68
15th September 2020, 08:34 PM
You going backward? Either that or you decided nothings better the other side of Emerald.

Seen enough dust once we had been to Rubyvale.

MAZA68
15th September 2020, 09:08 PM
Town of 1770 GC Par 68 Scratch 64 Slope 94 4719m

1770 is another 9 hole layout situated an hour north of Bundaberg. Whilst not a long course it more than makes up for that with the quality of the course. The whole course is very well looked after with the greens being top quality. The nine is made up of two 5's, four 3's, and three 4's, over a flat/hilly terrain and set amongst native bush which in most parts is very thick. The first hole is a Par 3 at 185m (generally into the wind - so a good start) tree lined to the green, which has a steep drop off to the sides and back. Other highlight holes are the 7th a Par 4 at 399m up hill and turning right to left to a deep green protected by a bunker left and the 9th/18th Par 5 at 488m with a wide open tee shot then a second to a narrowing fairway with water to clear (40-50m from the green) and water right and left. The option to carry the creek or lay up requires a precise shot and then with most of the greens, a steep drop off to the side and back. Water features on a couple of other holes along with a few green side bunkers but the main hazard would be the bush that surrounds the course. Hit into the bush and forget it, its snake country!
Overall the course is top quality and although lacking in length it makes up for it with tight fairways and the change in elevation that add "extra" to the holes. The greens were excellent, good speed and a shot slight over hit would see the ball roll by a way.
Well worth a stopover. Watch out for the local Kangaroo population.

Green Fee $30 (18 Holes)

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51928&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51927&stc=1

flathook
19th September 2020, 04:55 PM
Town of 1770 GC Par 68 Scratch 64 Slope 94 4719m

1770 is another 9 hole layout situated an hour north of Bundaberg. Whilst not a long course it more than makes up for that with the quality of the course. The whole course is very well looked after with the greens being top quality. The nine is made up of two 5's, four 3's, and three 4's, over a flat/hilly terrain and set amongst native bush which in most parts is very thick. The first hole is a Par 3 at 185m (generally into the wind - so a good start) tree lined to the green, which has a steep drop off to the sides and back. Other highlight holes are the 7th a Par 4 at 399m up hill and turning right to left to a deep green protected by a bunker left and the 9th/18th Par 5 at 488m with a wide open tee shot then a second to a narrowing fairway with water to clear (40-50m from the green) and water right and left. The option to carry the creek or lay up requires a precise shot and then with most of the greens, a steep drop off to the side and back. Water features on a couple of other holes along with a few green side bunkers but the main hazard would be the bush that surrounds the course. Hit into the bush and forget it, its snake country!
Overall the course is top quality and although lacking in length it makes up for it with tight fairways and the change in elevation that add "extra" to the holes. The greens were excellent, good speed and a shot slight over hit would see the ball roll by a way.
Well worth a stopover. Watch out for the local Kangaroo population.

Green Fee $30 (18 Holes)

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51928&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51927&stc=1
I love the town of 1770 but have never felt the urge to play their golf course. But I'll give it a go next time I'm there after your review.

MAZA68
19th September 2020, 09:02 PM
In the bay for a few days and got in two comp rounds, one at Hervey Bay and the other with benn_r at Maryborough. Both courses are not overly long and whilst have similar ratings play quite differently.

Hervey Bay GC Par 70 Scratch 70 Slope 118 5679m

The Hervey Bay course is located at the northern end of the town on a sloping site, with well tree lined fairways and lush fairways. The great condition of the fairways is via a supply of recycled water they can tap into. Doglegs feature on a number of the Par 4's and 5's, with water coming into play on a few holes on the back nine. A number of the greens are protected by bunkers with most being raised above the fairway. However when playing, the green surfaces were very poor, bumpy and small bare sand spots which deviated chips and putts - the members said they were cored a couple of weeks ago.
A couple of good holes on the front nine, the 4th a Par 5 458m which swings around from right to left, trees all down the left side with a raised green protected by a couple of large bunkers and the 9th a Par 4 at 378m which plays long as it is up hill , swings right to left with OB and trees left and trees right, playing into a deep green with OB at the rear. The back nine (the better nine) features a number of good holes, the 11th par 4 360m with water to catch your drive right and depending on your line, water and bunkers to carry into the green which is quite narrow. The 13th is a strong Par 5 at 523m, water coming into play down the left side as you near the green and generally playing into a breeze. The 17th and 18th are good finishers, Par 3 at 172m playing uphill into the prevailing wind and the 18th a Par 4 at 345m again playing uphill into the breeze with a semi blind second into a deep green, OB at the back.
Overall the course is good track to play and will keep you honest and punish if you miss a fairway. The condition of the greens was disappointing but the overall condition of the course was very good.

Green Fee (in comp) $36

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51947&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51946&stc=1

Maryborough GC Par 70 Scratch 70 Slope 120 5658m

Managed to catch up with benno_r for a round at Maryborough who provided lots of good advice on where to hit or not hit, along with the dangers of the local birdlife around the course.
The course is on a sloping site which feature several holes with sharply angled fairways where hitting to the wrong side can see your drive punished. The course is well tree lined, with water in play on a number of holes - 8th, 9th, 17th and 18th, with most greens well bunkered. The Green surfaces were pretty good but with a week out from being cored were not in A1 condition. Unlike Hervey Bay the course lacks the water supply and the fairways were okay but a bit dried out. The course has a good mix of holes with some good Par 3's a few shortest Par 4's and some strong Par 4's and 5's and with the SE wind up makes them a good challenge.
Best on the front nine was the 8th a Par 4 at 351m with a water carry to a fairway that slopes back to the water. The green from the fairway looks small with water left and bunker front to catch a poor shot. The green is deep from front to back with slope from right to left.
The course has a tough finish with 15 to 18 all strong holes, 15 and 16 require accurate tee shots or the tilt on fairway will push the ball into the tree line. 15th Green is raised above the fairway and protected by deep bunkers at the front. 16th is a narrow green where any short shot will roll down off the green. The 17th (the wrecker) is a Par 3 at 184m, water and bunkers left, generally played into a stiff SE wind requires a solid tee shot. The 18th (the toughest) is 409m Par 4 playing up hill with a blind shot into the green. Water runs up the right side and trees down the left of the fairway. Two very solid shots will be needed to reach the green, which is quite deep and protected by bunkers on the right side, the clubhouse looms in the background.
Overall the course features a number of good holes and has a good mix of holes. If more water could be put on the course it would be a much better layout. Certainly worth a round and if you can get benno_r as your guide/bird protector you will have a enjoyable round.

Green Fee (in comp) $26

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51950&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51949&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51948&stc=1

MAZA68
22nd September 2020, 08:27 PM
https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51961&stc=1

Cooroy GC Par 70 Scratch 67(white) Slope 113 5184m

Starting to head further south now with a stop-over at Noosa and was intending to play Tewantin Noosa but on booking a round the pro shop advised "greens were cored yesterday and are shit", so wasn't keen to fork out $55 to play on crap greens, so it was off to Cooroy.

Cooroy is a compact 18 hole course built on a sloping site, tree lined with a number of water hazards and lots of elevation changes throughout the course. Originally it was a nine hole course converted into an eighteen hole layout so has an unusual layout where you play 9 holes out away from the clubhouse (10th is in the middle of the course) and then the second nine works its way back to the clubhouse.
The fairways were getting firm but played ok, the greens were in good condition but looked quicker than they were. Sped up they would present some challenging putts.
The front nine has no Par 5's and three Par 3's and several Par 4's that are short but tight and don't always require a driver off the tee. The back nine adds a bit more length with four Par 5's but also three Par 3's. Knowing the slopes and where to hit (played with some locals) helps as a few hazards are hidden.
Best holes around the course I thought were the 7th Par 3 at 155m uphill to a hidden green surface which has a big slope from front to back, walking off with a two putt is good achievement. A lot of the Par 4's on the front are risk reward where hitting driver to the right spot can leave an easy pitch into the green, however off line can bring some pain.
The 11th is a Par 5 at 474m, drive to an uphill fairway, leaves a semi blind shot to a green sitting at the bottom of the hill with water front and OB back and right. Can be hit in two but again a risk reward hole.
Three good finishing holes, 16th Par 5 449m, trees left and right with a water hazard all down the left up to and around the back of the green, again reachable but trouble if you stray.
17th is a Par 4 at 322m, layup to 160m as a large water hazard crosses the fairway and all down the left side. And lastly the 18th a Par 5 at 454m, hitting to a wide fairway leaves an uphill second - trees right and OB left to a blind two tier green which from front to would be 20m.
Cooroy was an interesting layout where the variety in the holes made up for the short nature of the course, some local knowledge will help if you are playing it.

Green Fee $38

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51962&stc=1

markTHEblake
22nd September 2020, 10:22 PM
Cooroy was a fun course in its day, it had lots of variations even though just 9 holes.

17th is a Par 4 at 322m, layup to 160m as a large water hazard crosses the fairway and all down the left side.
Loved that hole. we would try and hook a driver and get on the other fairway over the hazard.

MAZA68
25th September 2020, 07:38 PM
Cooroy was a fun course in its day, it had lots of variations even though just 9 holes.

Loved that hole. we would try and hook a driver and get on the other fairway over the hazard.

[/COLOR]

Yea, lots of fun holes there where smacking a driver can bring good and bad.

MAZA68
27th September 2020, 12:58 PM
Another hit on the Sunshine Coast, playing in the comp at Beerwah. Started out a pretty windy day with a strong westerly, then switched around to the north-west so a fairly challenging day on a new course.
Beerwah is a flat layout, with a few water hazards that creep in on some holes and is heavily treelined. The fairways are reasonably wide but firm so the ball can run off into the tree line. The Greens were quite good, held a shot but did have a bit a variance in speed on some greens. Greens had a bit of grain as well so tricky breaks on some and speed down hill/down grain.
Both nines are pretty similar and wouldn't say one was harder than the other. The 1st and 10th are both dogleg Par 4's with a more accurate shot required on the 10th of the tee. The front nine has more straighter holes with the back nine having a few dogleg shorter holes. Couldn't say there were any outstanding holes but a good solid course, kept in good condition.
Best holes I found were a couple of Par 5's the 15th at 494m with water left through to the green and a pond right near the green. Could be a two shooter but the water makes you thick twice. Big sloping green with bunkers left and the 8th at 489m a drive left middle can leave a clear shot into a raised green, but any tee shot right or left will bring tree trouble. Another large green with a bit of slope.
There are a couple of short Par 4's, the 4th, 9th and 13th were a big hitter could drive, but a miss will bring a challenge/trouble.
Overall Beerwah was a solid course, flat and in good condition. The doglegs bring some variety to the straighter holes and the greens are a good test.

Beerwah GC Par 72 Scratch (White) 71 Slope 125 5887m

Green Fee (includes comp) $30

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51967&stc=1

MAZA68
30th September 2020, 06:42 PM
Second hit on the Sunshine Coast and this time took on the Maleny Golf Course. Maleny is situated in the hinterland behind the Sunshine Coast so the weather can be quite different to the coast - cooler and gets rain when the coast dosn't. Maleny is now a full 18 hole course (having previously started as a nine hole course) and is built on a hilly site with lots of elevation change. The course itself is quite open, but there are environmental areas and deep rough that will gobble your ball if you stray off line, along with OB on a few holes.
Condition wise the course was excellent, the fairways lush and well grassed and the greens were very good, bunkers were good with most having steep faces. The course has a links feel with some of the design but situated in the hinterland.
Right from the first hole (Par 3 136m) the elevations kicks in, downhill to a sloping green. The second is a sweeping Par 5 468m off an elevated tee block (environmental area all down the left) with the fairway tilting right to left and OB right. These sort of holes continue for much of the course so where you hit or position your tee shot will offer the options on your approaches. Its a course that needs to played a couple of times to find the lines to hit on and also with the slopes on the greens.
So many good holes but I liked the 18th Par 4 at 368m - blind tee shot over a big hump where on the right line can leave a short iron into a narrow green, which slopes right to left and is well elevated above the fairway. Protected by deep bunkers front and back, and the clubhouse in the background. Two Par 4's the 3rd and 4th while short, have a blind tee shot, but hit on the right line can bring a birdie opportunity or lots of issues if the line is missed.
Overall I thought the course was very good with an interesting layout and lots to make you think about your shots. The greens were very good, with lots of slope on some.

Maleny GC Par 68 Scratch 68 Slope 120 5057m

Green Fees $38

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51978&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51977&stc=1

markTHEblake
30th September 2020, 09:19 PM
Nice to see a new course pop up that isnt part of a development- which inevitably go downhill.
looks to me like this is a low maintenance course

MAZA68
1st October 2020, 12:53 PM
True members course. Quite a few volunteers about working around the course.Rebuilding bunkers and working on new pathways.

markTHEblake
1st October 2020, 09:14 PM
what are you doing work for, i thought you retired.

MAZA68
1st October 2020, 09:30 PM

AndyP
2nd October 2020, 06:53 AM
I thought the same thing, mtb, then realised that it was the volunteers working (missing commas).

MAZA68
6th October 2020, 07:25 PM
Had the opportunity to have a free round at Royal Pines, so took that up and were fortunate enough to play the Green/Gold (PGA course). I hadn't played Royal Pines since the make over by Graham Marsh, but had walked it when the PGA was on. The course was in great condition with the exception of the greens which had been scarified in recent weeks, so the surfaces were a little slow and bouncy. The course has plenty of bunkers, greenside and fairway added to the new layout which will catch the wayward shot. Water is also present on a number of holes which again, will catch wayward drives and approaches, several fairways are sloped towards the water. A lot of the greens are raised and have lots of slopes/humps to the sides and back, which can leave some tricky up and downs with the slopes in the greens as well.
The best holes I thought were the 9th (Green Course) Par 5 at 464m, with a bunker right side at 195m and water left, which the fairway slopes to. Second shot has bunkers to carry mid fairway and greenside. The green is quite large and has big drop offs to the water at the side and rear. The 9th (Gold Course) Par 4 399m fairway bunkers and trees right side and trees left side, second is into a raised green with big drop offs on all sides, several tiers on the green can make for a tricky putt.
Overall a very good quality course which now requires more accuracy off the tee than the old layout which had wide open fairways. Now a number of holes have bunkers in play off the tee, along with the tree lined fairways, which makes the fairways narrower than previous. The water comes into play more around the greens where slopes can push the loose shot into the water. If played with the greens in top condition it would give a good test on your putting.
I didn't think it was a super difficult course (played off the whites) but off the back tees with the added length would be a different case. It was still a good challenge and a course that will test all parts of your game.

Royal Pines Resort Par 72 Scratch 71 Slope 126 5870m

Green Fees $95 (I think)

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=51995&stc=1

Stuart
6th October 2020, 07:40 PM
Enjoying the descriptions - thanks again for sharing the journey.

MAZA68
10th October 2020, 06:26 PM
Had a hit in the comp at the Burleigh Golf Course on the Gold Coast on Friday with some locals.
The course has had its ups and downs over the years but is now running well thanks to a sell off of land adjacent to the now redesigned 10th Hole, a solid 400m Par 4.
The Burleigh course is tucked in 2 minutes from the Gold Coast Highway in the suburb of Miami, on probably the only hilly piece of land in the area. The course has lots of slopes and elevation changes on the majority of the holes, with the back nine having a flat section of holes in the middle of the nine. Trees dominate the course with heavily treelined fairways, a few hazard areas and the odd pond, providing a good challenging course. The course was in excellent condition, with the greens running well. The greens are protected by deep bunkers on most of the holes and fairway bunkers feature on a few holes as well.
Several good holes at Burleigh, strong Par 3's that either play to an uphill or down hill green, most protected by deep bunkers, water or drop offs if the green is missed.
Back to back Par 5's on the back nine whilst flat, can give lots of tree trouble if you stray, with both having small tricky greens.
Overall Burleigh is a good solid course, where if you miss fairways and greens, the tree lines and slopes will have you in recovery mode. Along with the elevation changes throughout the course it makes for quite a challenging course, very different from the resort courses that are around the Gold Coast.

Burleigh GC Par 71 Scratch 71 Slope 120 5935m

Green Fee $45 - Comp Fee - $15

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52016&stc=1

Greg Gilson
11th October 2020, 04:51 PM
Maza, i have enjoyed following your tour. Brought back memories from moons ago. I played Burleigh twice recently as part of local Senior Pennant comp. Agree mostly with your report. However i would have expected specific mention of #3. That must be the worst hole in Australia? Par 4 with no fairway?!?

MAZA68
11th October 2020, 06:03 PM
Maza, i have enjoyed following your tour. Brought back memories from moons ago. I played Burleigh twice recently as part of local Senior Pennant comp. Agree mostly with your report. However i would have expected specific mention of #3. That must be the worst hole in Australia? Par 4 with no fairway?!?
Interesting hole that one, couple of low markers in front of us drove the hole. Smacked drive up the right and kicked into the green.

aussieashley
11th October 2020, 06:06 PM
That fairway is tiny on 3 and everything runs hard left once it lands.
Long and right is the place to go, there’s a little more room than it looks like on the right once you get up there.

markTHEblake
11th October 2020, 06:39 PM
That must be the worst hole in Australia? Par 4 with no fairway?!?

another course that became a victim of safety issues and poor original planning, but Understandable and very common from that era when courses were built in no mans land.
We can see that they did have buffer zones on the north and east side of the course where there was already houses.

here is a screen shot of Burleigh in 1969, compared to now. the stupid hole is the one bottom left corner.
https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52022&stc=1 https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52023&stc=1

Greg Gilson
11th October 2020, 07:29 PM
Interesting photos Mark! Thank you. The people that built the house about 150 up on right of #3 must have originally thought they were in paradise with a golf course view. Then the balls started raining down on them! World's biggest net protects them now. Mark's pictures show how small a space they cram 3 & 4 into. Also, how much better the course would have been if they were happy with a 16 hole track (go straight from 2 green to 5 tee!). Not that 4 is so bad but the rest of the course is pretty sporty.

BTW. # 3 at Burleigh has a twin (12???) at Concorde...not even Tom Doak could fix that in his reno.

MAZA68
18th October 2020, 08:22 PM
Last round in Queensland before venturing across the border to New South Wales. Wanted to play my home course (Windaroo Lakes) but in the days I had to play it was full up with a trainee pro tournament, so instead went and played Boomerang Farm (another of my old courses) on the Gold Coast.
Boomerang Farm is far removed from the glitz of the Gold Coast with a rustic old clubhouse and a tricky 9 hole layout, which back (quite) awhile you could come out and learn to through a boomerang. Nowadays it has become a wedding venue, golf course and also has a very good mountain bike track.
Boomerang is a 9 hole course with separate tees for the second nine, which change the length and angle of attack for all the holes. The course is very tight, with OB, hazards and thick bush lining a lot of the fairways. The greens are small but in most part quite receptive and when in good nick can be quick and tricky, with some deceptive slopes. When I played they had been cored in recent weeks so were a bit slow. Miss the green and you'll need a good short game.
Being a "country" course the fairways are pretty average, and get dry and firm. The course is not long, but you need to be accurate, as highlighted by the 9th/18th hole which would be one of the tightest Par 4's -399m/5's 405m around. Trees/OB/hazard line the narrow fairway the entire length of the hole and at the back of the green. No bunkers on the course, but the slopes and small make up for that. The course was changed recently, where they took out the first hole (Par 3 120m) and slotted in another Par 3, so now you play four Par 3's in a row, with the exception of one are all to downhill greens.
The course has some pretty interesting holes and is not overly long, Par 5's can be reached in two, short Par 4's and Par 3's are short but the course's greens are small and tricky.
The best holes I like are the 4th/13th Par 5 425/428m, which has a tight driving line with trees both sides of the narrow fairway, with a couple of ponds in driver range. The second can leave a shot to an uphill green tucked into the side of the hill, anything short or left will roll back down the hill and anything long right will find bush. Can be an easy birdie, but stray and 6 or 7 or more come into play.
The 7th/16th 104m/86m and 8th/17th 128m/143m are Par3's and whilst short are surrounded by bush, Both are elevated and have a drop down to the greens. The 7th/16th is a small two tier green with a steep slope from back to front, anything above the hole will leave a slippery putt. Miss the green right or left will give a tricky chip from either an uphill slope or a down hill slope.
The 8th/17th has OB left and at the back of the green which is well below the teeing area. Anything short will run back down the hill to leave a tricky chip. The green looks flat but has some deceptive breaks.
Overall Boomerang is a fun course to play and you will need a couple of go's at it to learn its tricks. Its not everybody's cup of tea and most Pennant teams that come to play struggle, Boomerang's A Grade Pennant team has never been defeated on its home track!

Boomerang Farm Par 69 Scratch 65 Slope 109 4865m
Green Fees $30

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52056&stc=1

MAZA68
21st October 2020, 09:33 PM
First round in NSW after crossing the border on Saturday and moved south to Coffs Harbour.
Played the Woolgoolga course that is located at Safety Beach approx. 20 mins north of Coffs Harbour. The course is a Par 72 that has an interesting layout - the front nine a Par 34 has 3x Par 3's and 1x Par 5 and the back nine a Par 38 has 3x Par 5's and 1x Par 3.
The course condition was average with the fairways "maintained" by the groups of Kangaroos around the course I suspect. The course was in the process of having the greens cored, so some greens were sanded and some core punched. The ones that had been punched were still a good speed but obviously bounced around.
Woolgoolga has plenty of water hazards with several fairways lined by water hazards and a number of ponds/creeks that come into play. The layout is a mix of flat, slope and some hills and tree lined for the best part. The fairways are reasonably wide but there are a few tight driving holes as well.

Highlight Holes Rundown:
The 1st and 2nd are short Par 4's both with water hazards down the left side. 1st has a water hazard crossing the fairway at around 150m, average size green, tilting back to front. The 2nd (270m) has a tighter fairway, a good drive slight left to right will be in prime spot with a green that slopes right to left.
The 3rd a Par 5 has an internal OB all down the left and doglegs at around 200m, the fairway slopes left to right so a stray drive will push into the tree line. Green has large bunker front and pond rear.
The 7th a Par 3 @ 170m is a visual challenge with a water hazard short left and water hazard short right of the green, good breeze from left to right makes a strong Par 3.
The 8th one of the toughest Par 4's at 402m needs a good drive with OB left and trees right. The Green has a hidden creek short of the green that has slope from back to front.
The 10th a Par 5 @ 468m hits to an uphill fairway, has a blind second to a green that sits at the bottom of the hill. Plenty of run down the left side of the fairway will see you close to the green, Anything over the green at best will be bunkered if not OB is in play.
The 11th is the shortest Par 3 on the course at 124m, but requires a water carry to a two tier green.
The 13th and 14th are Par 5's that have ponds at 190m and 230m, good seconds will leave short shot into the greens.
The 15th is a straight Par 4 @ 251m drivable for some but a grassy hump in front protects the green that slopes from back to front.
The 16th and 17th and 18th are all dogleg Par 4's, but all different. 16th is 326m but has a creek at 220m to either carry or layup. A water hazard also runs down the left side of the fairway. Bunkers protect the green short front. 17th is a dogleg right to left with a hazard left side and trees all down the right. A good drive will leave a second to a raised narrow green.
The 18th 365m is a strong Par 4 that requires a drive turning left to right to get around the dogleg. The fairway has a bit of tilt all the way to the hole from right to left. Anything pushed left will find the tree line. The second is slightly up hill to a green that if missed left or right will give a tricky chip to a green that slopes right to left.

Overall a challenging course with a good variety of holes.

Woolgoolga GC

Par 72 Scratch 71 Slope 126 5678m

Green Fees $38 (currently all day rate of $19)

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52078&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52077&stc=1

MAZA68
23rd October 2020, 10:05 PM
Next round up was in the seaside town of South West Rocks, which has a full 18 hole course along side the impressive country club.
The course is set on rolling land behind the country club, which is heavily tree-lined. A creek runs through the middle of the course (which features on a few holes) and there a number of ponds running off the creek.
The majority of the fairways are generous with the exception of the 6th (tight dogleg) 8th, 15th and 17th which are tight off the tee but open up once past the trees.
The course was in very good condition, fairways were firm (needing a drink) and the greens were excellent, receptive and a good speed. There are a few bunkers and water hazards around the greens to catch the stray shot.
Being close to the seaside a constant breeze is about with several holes playing longer with the wind funneling through the tree lines, the 9th and 18th the most exposed.

Highlight Holes:

4th - Short Par 3 @127m - Plays through a window of trees, a creek short and bunkers front. Anything too long will find a pond at the rear.
6th - Short Par 4 @ 240m - 90 degree dogleg hole which for the big hitter possibly reachable but with high risk. OB straight left and water front left and right of the green as well as a carry over a tall stand of trees. 180m to the corner and short pitch is the best option.
10th - Par 4 @ 340m - Has a large tree in the center of the fairway at the landing area and trees left and right. If you can funnel a shot past the large tree will leave a good shot into the green.
12th - Par 5 @ 473m - Has a double dogleg fairway, creek running across the fairway in front of the tee block. A solid tee shot, gives the option to carry the corner on the second and shorter approach. Green has a slope from back to front.
13th - Par 4 @ 363m - Plays back into the breeze, to a fairway that turns slightly right to left. Green is fairly flat with bunkers left and right and water right as well. Anything right of the green will be either bunkered or in the water.
15th - Par 4 @ 365m - Tee shot shoots out through a window in the tree line to a downhill fairway that opens up in the landing area. The approach shot needs to carry a creek to a slightly raised two tier green.
17th - Short Par 4 @ 295m - Requires an accurate tee shot through another window in the tree line, a good drive leaves a short second to a two tiered green that has a big slope from front to back.

Overall South West Rocks was a good course to play in excellent condition. Some deceptive holes with the wind and slopes making holes play longer. It is a another small town course that is impressive for its quality and challenging layout.

South West Rocks
Par 72 Scratch 72 Slope 130 5697m - White Tees
Green Fee: $26 - Visitor in a comp.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52085&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52084&stc=1

markTHEblake
23rd October 2020, 10:22 PM
The course was changed recently, where they took out the first hole (Par 3 120m) and slotted in another Par 3, so now you play four Par 3's in a row, with the exception of one are all to downhill greens.

didnt know that, i guess that means Golfer69's hole in ones now have an *

So they have lengthened the old 5th, made it par 5. To be honest I would have thought it would be a better hole remaining a par 4, it was a cracker.
Where is the extra hole? i guess they squeezed one in somehere on old 6th, the long downhill par 3.

MAZA68
23rd October 2020, 10:29 PM
5th is the same length, has been a Par 5 as long as I was there.
The new Par 3 tees off from the old sixth tee area up the hill (100m or so) to a blind green, then the sixth now tees off from behind this green down to the same green 150-160m. So the tee shot needs to carry the log! Pretty much stuffed the course.

Hatchman
23rd October 2020, 11:56 PM
Enjoying the journey with you and dreaming of better days when I was single and could do something like this.

markTHEblake
24th October 2020, 12:08 AM
5th is the same length, has been a Par 5 as long as I was there.
oh. it was about a 360m par 4 before , the narrowest part of the fairway was 200m so was a tough tee shot for a fader coming out of that chute.

The new Par 3 tees off from the old sixth tee area up the hill (100m or so) to a blind green, then the sixth now tees off from behind this green down to the same green 150-160m. So the tee shot needs to carry the log! Pretty much stuffed the course.

I hate that log, I hate it almost as much as the 7th. Hardest 80m par 4 I have ever played.

MAZA68
24th October 2020, 09:24 AM
Enjoying the journey with you and dreaming of better days when I was single and could do something like this. Thanks, just need to be children free!

MAZA68
24th October 2020, 09:26 AM
oh. it was about a 360m par 4 before , the narrowest part of the fairway was 200m so was a tough tee shot for a fader coming out of that chute.I hate that log, I hate it almost as much as the 7th. Hardest 80m par 4 I have ever played. Yea not long but tight and tough second.Par 3* mate had a hole in one there last week.

MAZA68
28th October 2020, 03:25 PM
Continuing the move south (not for the weather!), might have to actually buy some long pants to play golf in!
Got a start in the local comp at Tuncurry, playing with three guys from Newcastle, two of them hadn't played the course like myself, so a learning curve for us.
Tuncurry is set in coastal bushland to the north of the town, with the course cut through the thick bushland where a lot of the fairways are set apart from one another. Its actual quite hard to work out which direction you are going in sometimes.
Having had bushfires in the area a lot of the tall bush around the course had been burnt out but is now coming back with thick low scrub/bushes.
The opening holes pretty much set the tone for the course with slight doglegs across undulating fairways and thick bush lining the fairways. If your lucky enough to find you ball in the bushes, its generally not going to be an easy out. The course was playing long after recent rain had softened the sand based fairways. A few bare patches on the fairways but placing was available. The greens were superb, excellent surfaces to putt on and soft to grab the good shot. Chipping was tricky as they tended to run a lot more than thought. Good bunkering and swales around the greens to grab the stray shots.
Played off the forward (white) tees but the course can be stretched back to the Black tees. Interestingly off the back tees several of the fairways bunkers (around 200-240m off the whites) would not be reachable off the blacks.

Highlight Holes

The first three holes are Par 4's, slight doglegs, around the 330m -315m mark but all play different. The key to all of the holes is getting a drive in the right part of the fairway that then gives a reasonable straight forward shot into the green. All the fairways are lined by bush so anything wayward will be in trouble. The first green is fairly flat and the second and third provide a bit more slope to deal with.
The Par 5 5th hole is deceptive with bunkers and the bush-line from the tee appearing to be in play but in fact there is plenty of room. The second shot can bring the fairway bunkers short of the green into play, a shot left side of the fairway is the best option for a short pitch into a green with subtle slopes. The other Par 5 on the front the 8th, has a lot tighter driving line and a big fairway bunker in play on approach to the green. The green has a good slope from back to front and a deep bunker on the left.
The 9th a Par 3 at 130m, has a big deep bunker front left and deep swales in front and will sit in front of the new clubhouse being built.
Two good Par 5's on the back, the 11th and 15th both shape from right to left, with bush all down the left and bunkers in play off the tee. The second on the 11th plays slightly uphill, with the two tier green protected by a large bunker front right. The approach to the 15th, once at the corner of the dogleg is straight but anything pushed right will bring the bush into play. The green has a gentle slope from back to front.
The 17th is rated 1 and at 380m is a strong Par 4, requiring a tee shot to the corner of the dogleg. Trees hang out on the right if the corner is cut to fine. The long second plays to a slight raised green, with thick bush all up the right and several large trees on the left to catch the offline shot.
Lastly the 18th at 326m Par 4 with a slight dogleg. Has a tight driving line, with trees hanging out on the left and anything too straight will find bush at 200m or less. The green has a steep slope from back to front, bunkers left and rear plus OB rear.

Overall an enjoyable course to play, where if you stray off the fairways you will find big trouble, or in fact probably need to reload. The greens were in super condition. In windy conditions and stretched to the back tees, the course would be a very tough challenge.

Tuncurry GC

Par 72 Scratch 72 Slope 116 5703m -White Tees

Green Fee $45 (Comp)

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52122&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52121&stc=1

markTHEblake
28th October 2020, 09:39 PM
the photos are the 4th and the 8th right? I thought the 8th was a cool par 5. very short but a difficult green for the 2nd shot as its angled sideways for a better approach from short left.

WBennett
29th October 2020, 11:02 AM
Didn't Tuncurry just host the Mid Am?

MAZA68
29th October 2020, 05:15 PM
the photos are the 4th and the 8th right? I thought the 8th was a cool par 5. very short but a difficult green for the 2nd shot as its angled sideways for a better approach from short left.

8th the Par 5 yes and the 16th Par 3.

MAZA68
29th October 2020, 05:16 PM
Didn't Tuncurry just host the Mid Am?

Not sure, one of the blokes in the group did say they are going to have the womens NSW open there, not sure when.

markTHEblake
29th October 2020, 05:38 PM
Thanks Maza, i cant even remember the 16th :-)

Thats one of the things about Tuncurry, quite a few of the holes are not memorable especially the straight holes that run side by side.

To be honest I preferred playing at Forster.

MAZA68
2nd November 2020, 08:22 PM
Next up was a round at the Nelson Bay Golf Course, a 27 Hole layout that sits between the township and the national park.
I played the Christmas Bush layout, that is Holes 10-18 and 19-27, with a couple of locals in the comp.
The 18 hole layout is a mix a flat holes and then a few with some elevation changes. The course was looking very good with nice lush fairways, due to the recent rain. The greens were soft as well and slow to putt and chip on.
The course itself is heavily tree lined and the outer edge of the course sits next to national park, which is deemed a hazard (not OB) and generally you will be lucky to find your ball if you go in that part. Good bunkering around the course, with some greens protected along with fairway bunkers on a few holes as well - water comes in on a couple of holes as well.
The front nine starts out quite strong, with a Par 4 @ 374m that plays to a rise with fairway bunkers left and right and then a slight down hill shot to the green. The second a Par 3 @ 165m and then the 3rd a Par 5 489m has a fairway that sweeps around from right to left. If your second gets past the corner, then the second shot is uphill to a blind green surface. Trees line the fairway all the way and hang out if the bend is taken too tight.
The 4th a Par 4 @ 358m has a sharp dog-leg left to right playing down hill with bunkers and water at the top corner of the dogleg. A brave shot is over the corner, but too long and straight will find water.
5th a short Par 3 @ 122m, water short left to a green with a steep drop off if you go to long.
6th a short Par 4 293m down a narrow fairway, hazard left and trees right, and the 7th, 365m Par 4, dogleg left, where a big hitter can carry the corner, also plays slightly down hill.
8th a Par 4 @ 368m plays long as it is slightly up hill to a two tier green.
9th Par 5 at 440m, plays over a rise, trees right and left. Green protected by bunkers in the front and if very wide water right, to a deep green.
The 19th (10th) starts with the tee block right in front of the club house, a Par 4 @ 285m to a narrow uphill fairway that doglegs left to right. Depending on what is played off the tee, the second can be a long or short shot to a green that sits well above the fairway and slopes back to front. A bunker lurks short right and a steep slope in front of the green will spit anything back.
20th a Par 3 @ 154m has a steep drop to the green below, a bunker front left and trees right and left. 21st short Par 4 @ 302m, blind tee shot over a ridge.
22nd is a long Par 5 @ 535m, off the tee, bunkers loom down the left and the hazard is all down the right side to the green. The fairway narrows on the second towards the green, which has a gentle slope from back to front.
23rd another short dogleg Par 4 @ 316m, again big hitters can take it over the corner, to a flat green.
24th @ 321m Par 4, plays long with an uphill tee shot and a second to the green as well.
25th a down hill Par 3 @ 144m, bunker short left and drop-off rear for anything long.
26th Par 4 @ 318m plays long as well with a tee shot to an uphill fairway that turns left to right. The green is protected by bunkers in the front, right and left.
The 27th is a Par 5 @ 438m, plays slightly up hill off the tee. The second plays down hill and with firmer conditions reaching the green is possible. Green has water right and slopes from back to front.

Overall a nice course to play, in good condition. Had a good mix of holes, quite a few doglegs but once you know the layout some play straight.

Nelson Bay Par 72 Scratch 71 Slope 129 5787m
Green Fee $40 (in comp)

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52160&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52159&stc=1

AndyP
2nd November 2020, 10:38 PM
Many roos around? When I played there over 10 years ago, it was felt that there were too many and they were ruining the course. They wanted to cull, but weren't allowed.

MAZA68
3rd November 2020, 08:12 AM
Many roos around? When I played there over 10 years ago, it was felt that there were too many and they were ruining the course. They wanted to cull, but weren't allowed.Only saw a couple. There have been more on other courses. The course was busy, so maybe they come out later in the day

MAZA68
5th November 2020, 01:30 PM
Short trip into the Hunter, where I managed a round at the Hunter Valley Golf and Country Club. The course is built around a resort with the two nines playing in different directions, with the 9th and 18th holes running alongside each other to finish up with a joined green in front of the resort.
The course was in pretty good condition, the odd damp patch in the fairways but the bunkers had been washed out and were unplayable. The greens were very receptive, with wedge shots gripping and spinning back. Although the greens were a little on the slow side, they putted very true.
The course is pretty flat, protected by tree lined fairways, several waterways and good fairway bunkering, providing plenty of challenge.
The course starts are fairly gently with a couple of short Par 4's and a short Par 3. The course then gets some teeth where the next holes will get your attention - Par 3 167m with a water carry to the green, Par 4 400m, pond in front of the tee to a fairway that turns right to left with OB left and trees right.
The next two Par 4's require water carries, the 6th off the tee and the 7th for your second. The 7th at 392m, has bunkers in the landing area and then turns left for the water carry into the green. The next hole, a Par 3 at 207m, needs a good straight shot to avoid the big bunker on the left. The only Par 5 on the front, the 9th @ 515m has a waterway crossing the fairway around the landing area, that also runs up the left of the fairway to the green.
The back nine has a stronger selection of holes with three Par 5's, two long Par 3's and some tight Par 4's. The 10th a Par 3 @ 176m, has water all down the right-side to the green. The 11th is a short Par 4 @ 262m, that turns left to right and has six small bunkers up the left side of the fairway. A decent drive could carry the trees and hazard to reach the green, although OB is on the right as well.
A good straight drive on the 12th - Par 4 328m, will avoid OB right and trees left. The green has big drops right and rear.
The 14th is a long Par 5 @ 502m, a decent drive up the right side avoids the pond down the left and gets a kick around from the tilt on the fairway. Trees line the fairway right and left.
The 15th a Par 4 @ 330m has water that sneaks in on the left side of the fairway. The vineyards and foothills make for a pleasant background. The Green is slightly elevated, with drops off to the right and rear.
To finish off, the 17th a Par 3 @ 159m, has a deep bunker front left and small grass bunkers right side of the green. Left and rear of the green have steep drop offs. The 18th has a tight drive area off the tee, but then opens up in the landing area. The hole curves around left to right with the green tucked around the corner behind a stand of trees. OB and bunkers sit on the left side of the fairway.

Hunter was a challenging course, in good condition (except the bunkers) that had a good mix of holes to keep you interested.

Hunter Valley GCC

Par 72 Slope 127 Scratch 73 5774m
Green Fee $45

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52169&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52168&stc=1

Hatchman
5th November 2020, 11:01 PM
Good game of pinball could be had once you get in those Pine trees.

MAZA68
7th November 2020, 04:03 PM
Good game of pinball could be had once you get in those Pine trees.

Yea, certainly the potential for that!

MAZA68
9th November 2020, 08:38 PM
First time on a links course for awhile when I took on the Belmont course. Belmont is situated just south of Newcastle, right on the beach front with several holes that give a fantastic view of the coastline. Most of the course is quite open, with a few holes on the front nine playing through some bushland. Luckily on the day I played the wind wasn't up too much, but it was still a bit fresh. The course was in reasonable condition, the fairways had recently been airated so placing was available. They were also on the soft side due to the recent rain. The fairways in most part are generous, but stray off the fairways and all sorts come into play from sandy ground to bush and ice plants. The greens were disappointing. They were very variable in pace, bumpy on some and varied in firmness. Quite a few bunkers around the course and water in play on a few holes as well, but the biggest test will always be the wind.

Hole Review:
The first few holes are fairly flat with water, hazards and OB on the right side of all the fairways on Holes 1 - 6. The 1st plays into the SE breeze and at 380m is a tough starter. The 7th plays straight toward the beach and at 333m plays longer into the wind to a raised green. The 8th hits to a blind landing area with the sandhills down the right side, the green slopes from back to front. Both these holes have more of the links humps and hollows. The 9th, a Par 5 at 482m requires a water carry off the tee to a wide fairway. The holes curves around the wetlands, towards the green. Good size green, with OB at the rear and a few humps and hollows around the green.
The second nine has more of a links feel than the front nine, with several holes playing towards the sea or running alongside the ocean/sandhills. The 10th a Par 5 at 430m doglegs up hill to the green with bushes on the corner of the dogleg. A steep front into the green will throw back anything short. Big drop off rear and to the sides of the green, with the green surface blind form the fairway.
The 11th and 12th are Par 4's. The 11th plays downhill and curves right to left at 352m bushes down the left and right of the fairway. The 12th is 394m and plays slightly uphill back towards the ocean and into the SE breeze. The hole turns right to left with a water hazard up the left side of the fairway. The 13th a Par 3 at 166m, plays towards the ocean with a big hump in front and steep drop offs around the green. The next holes, 14 and 15 play alongside the ocean with great views up and down the coastline. The 14th 401m Par 4 needs a carry over the sand dunes/bush to a fairway that kicks the ball right, all this with the wind coming blowing from left to right. The 15th is one of the new holes, Par 5 433m, again needs a tee shot over the sandhills, with wind pushing across the fairway. Fairway bunkers sit on the right side of the fairway. The fairway is full of humps and hallows, so the lie for the next shot can be challenging. The Green has a steep front and and bush rear for anything too long. The 16th a short Par 3 at 110m hits to a green with steep drop offs on all sides. With the wind at your back its a tricky shot. The green was very firm and extremely hard to hold, even with a chip shot.
The 17th and 18th are Par 4's, 17th has water left for the big hitters, and up toward the green as well. The 18th at 382m doglegs around to right to a large green with OB rear.

As the first links course I have played for a while it was a interesting challenge. It was a pity the greens were so inconsistent, as it made it hard to enjoy.

Belmont GC Par 72 Scratch 72 Slope 125 5997m
Green Fee $40

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52218&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52217&stc=1

Hatchman
10th November 2020, 12:59 PM
That looks great.

wazamac
10th November 2020, 01:22 PM
Course design thing. Why do majority of holes that run along coastlines, cliffs, beaches, with the water on the left?

3Puttpete
10th November 2020, 01:36 PM
Course design thing. Why do majority of holes that run along coastlines, cliffs, beaches, with the water on the left?

90% of golfers are right handed and most of those hit a slice?

Hatchman
10th November 2020, 04:13 PM
90% of golfers are right handed and most of those hit a slice?

I prefer the term Power Fade.

jimandr
10th November 2020, 05:32 PM

Maza is clearly the best person to answer this using his experiences in this thread.

But, delving into my memory bank, in NSW there might be two factors (apart from the slice factor as mentioned by 3pp). Generally, the most common breeze is a northeaster in the warmer months, so there is greater challenge playing the beach holes into the wind. And I guess you can make them a bit shorter and have more of them into the wind.

On a similar theme, if the clubhouse is at the northern end of the property, you want the players to play the most spectacular holes toward the end of their round. So you go south to start, and north along the beach to finish.

To be honest I'm struggling to think of too many courses with genuine beach frontage. Belmont, Wollongong, Gerringong, Narooma, Magenta and the Sydney seaside courses are the ones that spring to mind.

3Puttpete
10th November 2020, 05:46 PM
I prefer the term Power Fade.

You’d need power for that

MAZA68
10th November 2020, 06:34 PM
That looks great.

The best part of the course for the true links feel.

MAZA68
10th November 2020, 07:25 PM
Maza is clearly the best person to answer this using his experiences in this thread.

But, delving into my memory bank, in NSW there might be two factors (apart from the slice factor as mentioned by 3pp). Generally, the most common breeze is a northeaster in the warmer months, so there is greater challenge playing the beach holes into the wind. And I guess you can make them a bit shorter and have more of them into the wind.

On a similar theme, if the clubhouse is at the northern end of the property, you want the players to play the most spectacular holes toward the end of their round. So you go south to start, and north along the beach to finish.

To be honest I'm struggling to think of too many courses with genuine beach frontage. Belmont, Wollongong, Gerringong, Narooma, Magenta and the Sydney seaside courses are the ones that spring to mind.

At Belmont the OB and the hazard areas for a slicer will be more of an issue than the ocean/sandhills. With the predominate SE or NE breezes, the most exposed ocean holes at Belmont push your slice across the fairway away from the ocean into bunkers and bush, as they play to the south.
From memory, up north the easterly or SE are the toughest winds to play in.

wazamac
11th November 2020, 08:08 AM

Was talking more in general around the world. Not just Australia.

MAZA68
11th November 2020, 09:56 AM
Course design thing. Why do majority of holes that run along coastlines, cliffs, beaches, with the water on the left? Wind direction would influence the design possibly.

Dotty
11th November 2020, 11:38 AM
Wind direction would influence the design possibly.
It's due to whether the course (or part of it) is routed clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Barny Dunes - Front nine clockwise
Belmont - Back nine clockwise
Long Reef - Back nine clockwise
Mona Vale - Last three clockwise

Port Fairy - Back nine anti-clockwise
Lost Farm - Both nines anti-clockwise (except for last 3)

MAZA68
12th November 2020, 08:51 PM
Shelly Beach Par 71 Scratch 70 Slope 118 5848m
Green Fee $40

Shelly Beach Golf Course is located on the Central Coast between Newcastle and Sydney. The course has great views out over the ocean and the local beaches. A couple of holes are played alongside the sand dunes and have nice views of the coast.
The condition of the course was very good, considering the light sand dusting of the greens and some aerating on some fairways. Whilst the course had some interesting holes, the layout was a bit hard to like with the constant back and forth across the road that runs through the course.
The course starts on the clubhouse side of the course with the first six holes (probably the best holes), then you skip across the road to play two holes. The back and forth across the road continues until the last three holes are played on the clubhouse side of the course. The six holes across the road are five Par 4's and a Par 5, which are either up hill or down hill holes, so all a bit similar.
A couple of good risk/reward holes in the 6th and 16th, where a good straight drive will have a short pitch into the green. However a stray tee shot can find water, bunkers or deep rough.
Being oceanside, the wind is a factor on the course but more so on the clubhouse side of the course, which is more open with less trees than the six holes across the road.

Overall the course was in great condition and the wind makes it a challenge, but I struggled with the layout as it seemed a bit disjointed.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52233&stc=1

markTHEblake
14th November 2020, 10:39 AM
Wazza. Maybe put your itinery up in advance?
Might get some member invites.

Nice review on Shelley beach. Havent played but got a a friend there.

MAZA68
14th November 2020, 02:42 PM
Wazza. Maybe put your itinery up in advance? Might get some member invites.Nice review on Shelley beach. Havent played but got a a friend there. Thanks Blakey.Next stop is Shell Cove.

MAZA68
18th November 2020, 06:14 PM
Links Shell Cove Par 70 Scratch 68 (Brickyard Tees) Slope 122
Green Fee $35

First up, $35 Green Fee for a course of this quality is great value.
Links Shell Cove is situated on the south coast, outside of Wollongong. The course is built around a nature reserve that sits around the back boundary and a housing estate at the front of the course. The housing is good in that it is back far enough to not intrude on the course.
Links Shell Cove is very open where the wind from the ocean funnels through the valley to make the course a very good challenge.
The course features a lot of elevation changes, lots of waste areas, water and good bunkering both fairway and greenside.
The layout is different to most with 8 holes on the outward half and 10 holes on the inward side, having the 8th and 18th greens in front of the large clubhouse/tavern.
The course was in good condition, fairways were good and putting surfaces were a good speed. With all the elevation changes, humps and dips around the course, club selection is certainly a test and a shot can end in a nasty spot if bouncing off the slopes.
The outward first 8 holes feature two lots of back to back par 3's and two par 5's. The 3rd and 6th have water carries to the green, the 6th off an elevated tee and the 3rd has a large lake in front of the green. Lots of slopes to deal with on the Par 4's and 5's and some tricky tee shots into semi blind fairways and landing areas.
The back side of the course features more length with back to back par 5's to finish off. The 18th is good opportunity to finish well, where a good drive can give a good look at the green for the second. As with the front side, the holes on the back feature lots of elevation change, slopes and some hidden putting surfaces.
Overall the Links Shell Cove course is an excellent challenge, that will test all parts of your game. If your missing greens, the short game will need to be sharp.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52295&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52294&stc=1

jimandr
19th November 2020, 05:33 PM
You obviously didn't play Shell Cove in the conditions we have played it in. I've played there 3 times with other Ozgolfers. Twice in super strong winds (from different directions) and the other time was the famous Masters Monday of 2009 (when Cabrera won), when it poured rain all morning.

You perhaps also didn't notice that almost all the bunkers are shaped the same way, allegedly because the bunker excavator misread the plans, and there wasn't enough money to change it.

I'm astonished at the Slope of 122. My memory of this course is one with lots of hazards, slopey greens and general difficulty, which I thought the slope system was supposed to consider. I consider it one of the more difficult courses I've ever played, and I need more handicap to play it, not less.

MAZA68
19th November 2020, 06:11 PM
You obviously didn't play Shell Cove in the conditions we have played it in. I've played there 3 times with other Ozgolfers. Twice in super strong winds (from different directions) and the other time was the famous Masters Monday of 2009 (when Cabrera won), when it poured rain all morning.

You perhaps also didn't notice that almost all the bunkers are shaped the same way, allegedly because the bunker excavator misread the plans, and there wasn't enough money to change it.
I'm astonished at the Slope of 122. My memory of this course is one with lots of hazards, slopey greens and general difficulty, which I thought the slope system was supposed to consider. I consider it one of the more difficult courses I've ever played, and I need more handicap to play it, not less.

There was a stiff wind coming from the south, so playing about a club and a bit longer. Its not a long course by measurement, but the holes play longer due to the elevation changes. Agree with the low slope, I was surprised that it was 122 and Scratch of 68, that's what GA spit out.

Hatchman
19th November 2020, 07:15 PM
Liking the look of Shell Cove a lot in those pics.
Keep em coming MAZA68. Loving the journey.

MAZA68
19th November 2020, 08:41 PM
Liking the look of Shell Cove a lot in those pics.
Keep em coming MAZA68. Loving the journey.

Its an interesting layout and would certainly play it again. Knowing more of the layout now will certainly help.

Jono
25th November 2020, 12:10 PM
Max, are you still around Wollongong area? Have you played Port Kembla? I’m a member there if you want a game.

Peppas
25th November 2020, 03:42 PM
You obviously didn't play Shell Cove in the conditions we have played it in. I've played there 3 times with other Ozgolfers. Twice in super strong winds (from different directions) and the other time was the famous Masters Monday of 2009 (when Cabrera won), when it poured rain all morning.You perhaps also didn't notice that almost all the bunkers are shaped the same way, allegedly because the bunker excavator misread the plans, and there wasn't enough money to change it.I'm astonished at the Slope of 122. My memory of this course is one with lots of hazards, slopey greens and general difficulty, which I thought the slope system was supposed to consider. I consider it one of the more difficult courses I've ever played, and I need more handicap to play it, not less. The course changed back around 2015 when they sold some land so had to redesign the course.

Diamonds
25th November 2020, 07:22 PM
The Links is way shorter than it used to be. The houses between the course and the road south of the clubhouse and the driving range used to the 9th which was a cracking par 4 (driver, 2 iron kinda deal). The old 8th is now the shorter 7th but used to play up into the corner where the houses are. It is not a patch on the old track. A heap of par 3s and reachable par 5s are the reason for the 122 slope. The old one was probably too hard but now it is a tragedy.Edit - still fun but a shadow of its former self

MAZA68
27th November 2020, 04:08 PM
Max, are you still around Wollongong area? Have you played Port Kembla? I’m a member there if you want a game. Thanks for the offer Jono. We have moved further south down to Merry Beach, will be here for a couple of months, so will get to play a few courses around there.

MAZA68
27th November 2020, 08:42 PM
Shoalhaven Heads GC
Par 71 Scratch 71 Slope 127 5562m

Green Fee $30

Shoalhaven Heads is set in bushland alongside the ocean, where the bush gives the course some protection from the ocean breezes. The course has lots of rolling fairways, where the landing area and some fairway bunkers can be unsighted from the tee. The bunkers (which there are a few) are quite deep greenside and fairway.
The greens are something else, would have to be some of the largest greens I've played, with plenty of undulation as well. The Par 5 5th hole is huge, that would be 30-40m deep. The surfaces were excellent to putt on but some were quite firm to land on.
Its was impressive to know that several thousand hours of volunteer labour keeps the course in great condition. The course originally started out as three holes and only become a full eighteen in 2012.
The course starts across the road from the clubhouse for the first nine set more in the bushland and the second nine set on the sea side of the course. OB and environmental areas surround the course and make for a few tight holes.
The course has a couple of tough par 3's at 190/200m, the 8th has a shallow green with big hollows front and back and the 10th is a 199m starter for the back nine.
The short par 4's, on the back nine 12th, 14th are reachable for big hitters, with OB and bunkers to catch the inaccurate shot. The course finishes with two par 5's, the 17th is short at 426m and gives a birdie/eagle opportunity and the eighteenth, another birdie opportunity, provided you avoid the deep fairway bunkers and master the large green.
The really enjoyable course to play, which gets you thinking on the undulating greens.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52356&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52355&stc=1

MAZA68
1st December 2020, 05:15 PM
Moruya Golf Club
Par 71 Scratch 71 Slope 136 5734m

Green Fee $45

Moruya golf course is situated at the south end of the town, on a flat-slightly hilly site, that has a very impressive looking clubhouse.
The course was in excellent condition with lush fairways, and soft receptive greens. The putting surfaces were also in excellent condition, with a good mix of slope and flat surfaces. The course is reasonable tight with trees, OB or hazards running alongside a lot of the fairways.
The back nine features a section - 13,14 and 15 that are consecutive dogleg par 4's built up on a hill side, that all have blind tee shots over the ridge.
The Par 5 16th features a double water carry and a large lake on the front/right of the 18th green being the most prominent.
Several dog-leg par 4's feature in the course with most not super long and for big hitters its probably possible to cut the corners on some.
The Par 4 3rd at 382m is probably the hardest with a creek at 200m and a 230m carry to clear it. The 9th hole Par 4 370m features a huge green that doubles as the 18th green as well, with two separate flags to play for.
The 1st hole a Par 5 at 485m, can get you off to a good start or not, OB/hazard all down the left side, with a creek to cross at 300m and trees down the right. A big bunker protects the front of the green.

Somewhat surprised at the slope rating of 136, but I guess if you are not accurate off the tee the course will gobble you up.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52414&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52413&stc=1

MAZA68
2nd December 2020, 06:59 PM
Mollymook Beachside
Par 32 Scratch 30.5 Slope 105 1940m

Green Fee $19

Mollymook Beachside is a compact nine hole course that sits on a small headland just outside Ulladulla.
The course is quite hilly, with most holes either playing up or down through a valley, with a water hazard sitting at the bottom of the valley. A lot of the green surfaces are unsighted from the fairways, so a bit of guess work at times.
The course has a mix of five par 3's, one par 5 and three par 4's. The course condition was average with the greens quite good, but the rest of the course looking a little unkept.
A couple of par 3's start the course, one uphill 146m and the other down hill 105m. The short par 4 3rd at 302m, plays down hill where the water hazard sits around the 200m mark. OB and large trees down the right side and more trees down the left side. It then plays uphill to a green sitting in the corner, with bushes at the rear and OB to the right.
The next hole is a steep uphill par 4 at 299m, with the tee shot over the water hazard and then a steep slope up to the green .
The par 5 5th follows at 422m, which plays downhill to a water hazard that sits around the 200m mark at the bottom of the valley. The next shot can play off a downhill lie, hitting to a fairway the climbs steeply up to the green. Then another couple of par 3's, the 7th plays down hill to a green protected by a large bunker and hazard at the rear. The 8th a par 4 at 293m, plays uphill with OB down the right side and trees lining both sides of the fairway.
The last is a par 3 at 105m, that plays towards the beach and has a nice view of Mollymook Beach from the tee. A bunker left side and OB rear.
The first and ninth hole have been shortened from the original layout due to safety issues as they crossed a small road.
Overall a fun course to play, but feel the course could be cleared up and presented better.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52415&stc=1

Diamonds
2nd December 2020, 07:15 PM
Maza, make sure you play Hilltop. I was there a few weeks ago. Such an i interesting layout and block of land. Hilliest I've played I'd say. Greens were in great knick too.

MAZA68
2nd December 2020, 07:28 PM
Maza, make sure you play Hilltop. I was there a few weeks ago. Such an i interesting layout and block of land. Hilliest I've played I'd say. Greens were in great knick too.

Thanks Diamonds, in the area for a few weeks, so its on the list.

MAZA68
6th December 2020, 09:05 PM
Club Catalina Batemans Bay
Par 72 Scratch 73 Slope 130 6036m Holes 1-18 Red/White Course

Green Fee $48

Catalina is a 27 hole layout situated near the town of Batemans Bay. The course is heavily tree lined, has a few waterways/ponds running through the course and alongside some fairways. The condition of the course was very good, with nice lush fairways (Kikiyu?) and slick firm greens. Outside of the the fairways some of the areas are bit ordinary and you can end up with some ugly lies. Playing holes 1-18 (I'll get play 19-27 later on) the front nine is fairly flat and then the back nine features holes with a bit of elevation change. A few fairway bunkers to contend as well as a couple of ponds to carry, also some sneaky ponds to catch you out if your off line.
Some highlight holes:
5th - Par 3 167m, water to carry off the tee and a bunker front right of the green to carry as well. Large green that slopes back to front
6th - Par 5 501m, a sweeping left to right hole. A good drive down the left middle can have a look at the green. Large green with bunkers protecting left and right.
9th - Par 4 354m, dogleg left, where a lay up to the corner is an option. Anything to straight will find trees or water. Plays to a slightly elevated green, with a deep bunker left and steep slope right.
12th - Par 5 438m, reachable in two for the big hitters. Water all down the left side, then plays up hill to the green that slopes right to left.
14th - Par 3 140m, deceptive hole with a pond to carry or a bale out to the left.
17th - Par 4 356m, plays from an elevated tee block to a landing area protected by two bunkers, water left and front plus large trees down the right side.
18th - Par 4 313m, a tight finisher to a tree lined fairway that sweeps left to right. The second needs to carry a waterway through a window in the trees to an elevated green.

Overall a good quality course with excellent putting surfaces presented in very good condition. If your missing greens, you'll need a top short game.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52442&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52441&stc=1

MAZA68
10th December 2020, 02:01 PM
Catalina GC Par 36 Scratch 36 Slope 128 2844m

Green Fee $30

Played the third nine at Catalina, which is a little different to the other eighteen holes. The blue nine is noticeable narrower than the other eighteen holes and well tree lined, but generally flat. Fairway bunkers and water hazards feature throughout the course, plus a big gum in the middle of one fairway! The fairways were in great nick, lush and sat the ball up.
The greens were in top condition like the rest of the course and are a generous size, a few greenside bunkers to contend with as well.
Some dogleg holes, with two par 5's having big turns in them. The 21st hole at 451m, has three bunkers (hidden off the tee) to catch a drive that tries to cut the corner at around the 200m mark and a pond up the right side. The 17th at 450m has a big turn, that needs a drive up the left to have a look around the corner and has trees and a hazard along the left side. The 20th has a huge gum tree in the middle of the fairway, that can block your shot into the green.
Its was an interesting nine to play and provides quite a contrast to the other eighteen holes.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52449&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52450&stc=1

Out of the three nines I would rate the 10-18 as the most interesting to play has a better variety in the holes than the 1-9 and 19-27.

MAZA68
13th December 2020, 05:32 PM
Another round at Moruya in the local comp. Makes a difference when you know where you going the second time round. Managed an 81 off the stick, which I was pretty happy with, considering a very average putting round. One of the locals had the biggest putter I have seen, was more like a croquet mallet. The old fella was on a 45 Handicap and had parkinson's, it was amazing how he actually hit the ball, considering the shaking in his swing.

81-10-71 :::36 Points

MAZA68
17th December 2020, 08:57 PM
Another hit at what will be the "local" for the next few weeks, Mollymook Beachside. Course was in better condition than the first time I played. Appears the greenkeepers had been in action and cleaned up a few areas. Greens were nice and receptive, but you needed to give them a good nudge with the putter. Fun course with a few options off the tee on the longer holes.

MAZA68
27th January 2021, 03:52 PM
Almost at the end of our visit to the South Coast, unfortunately haven't played as many course in the area as planned before we head off to Canberra. Hopefully if the weather is ok, I'll get one more hit at Moruya on Saturday.

WBennett
27th January 2021, 06:46 PM
Maza, in Canberra here are the tips.

Tuesday is open pro comp at Gungahlin Lakes. $12 entry, and you play the white course.

Thursday is an open comp at Federal, $50.

Bookings essential for both.

MAZA68
28th January 2021, 02:09 PM
Thanks WB, any other course recommendations? Is Yowani GC any good?

WBennett
28th January 2021, 02:13 PM
In order, courses are

1. Royal Canberra - downside - very expensive and hard to get on

2. Federal - has plenty of chance to play at a fair rate for a top 100 track, especially in the twilight when its also at its prettiest

3. Yowani, Gold Creek, Gungahlin, Queanbeyan - all have their own unique characteristics and are better conditioned/layout tracks. Green fees around $50 for each.

4. Murrumbidgee, Belconnen, RMC, Fairbairn - all decent enough to go for a round.

97. Capital. Just don't.

MAZA68
3rd February 2021, 08:19 PM
First round of golf in the ACT and had a hit at Gungahlin Lakes. The course has a good mix of holes, built around a number of waterways and sloping land.
The fairways were in excellent condition, with some thick rough around the fringes. The greens were recovering from recent coring, were quite sizeable, with some tricky contours. They putted ok, quite soft but a little sluggish.
Holes 2, 4, 5, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, all have water to cross at some point, with 16 having a forced carry across water to the green. The 13th requires a big drive to carry water or a layup and 14 has a carry off the tee over a waterway, along with the 4th.

Played off the white tees but the course has a bit more length off the blues at 6119m.

Gungahlin Lakes GC Par 72 Slope 127 (White Tees) Scratch 71 5714m

Green Fee $29

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52855&stc=1

WBennett
3rd February 2021, 08:57 PM
If you had messaged, I would have given you a few tips or tried to join you

MAZA68
3rd February 2021, 09:19 PM
If you had messaged, I would have given you a few tips or tried to join you

oops, just a last minute game. Managed to play with some blokes that gave me plenty of tips, so that was good.

Hatchman
8th February 2021, 05:45 PM
First round of golf in the ACT and had a hit at Gungahlin Lakes. The course has a good mix of holes, built around a number of waterways and sloping land.
The fairways were in excellent condition, with some thick rough around the fringes. The greens were recovering from recent coring, were quite sizeable, with some tricky contours. They putted ok, quite soft but a little sluggish.
Holes 2, 4, 5, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, all have water to cross at some point, with 16 having a forced carry across water to the green. The 13th requires a big drive to carry water or a layup and 14 has a carry off the tee over a waterway, along with the 4th.

Played off the white tees but the course has a bit more length off the blues at 6119m.

Gungahlin Lakes GC Par 72 Slope 127 (White Tees) Scratch 71 5714m

Green Fee $29

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52855&stc=1

That's a massive difference in meters from White to Blue.

MAZA68
8th February 2021, 07:37 PM
That's a massive difference in meters from White to Blue.

Would of preferred to play off the blues, but the guys I played with were having a social hit off the whites.
Did notice a couple of Par 3's that stretched back to 190 odd and some Par 4's that were in the 400m range. Also the extra length would bring some more water into play as well.

WBennett
9th February 2021, 07:09 PM
It's a 3 shot plus different course off the blues.

Different carries and bunkers come into play.

I am currently booked in tomorrow arvo, but most likely have to bail out due to a workshop.

qbnchopper
11th February 2021, 01:06 AM
Royal Queanbeyan doesnt get a mention Benno ?

WBennett
11th February 2021, 09:04 AM
Royal Queanbeyan doesnt get a mention Benno ?

I had it in the third tier

MAZA68
14th February 2021, 08:57 PM
A Late afternoon round at Yowani CC, with the help of daylight savings managed to get around 18 holes.
Yowani is a heavily tree lined course and has some tight fairways especially through the back nine.
The fairways were nice and lush, with the rough thickish but not to penal. The greens were still recovering from coring, were bumpy and hard to get the pace on. The one benefit was that they were soft and stopped on a dime.
The course is mainly flat, with only a couple of holes with some elevation - the Par 4 5th that doglegs left to an uphill green, this hole plays to all of its 370m and the following hole a downhill Par 3 at 175m,
Water features on a few holes 7th, 11th, 16th and 17th and will catch out the stray tee shoot. The Par 4 11th curves around a large lake from left to right all the way up to the green. Also the Par 3 16th at 156m has water all up the right side, and will be tricky with wind about. It also one a the few greens with a bit of slope.
Some tight tough holes on the back nine, 13th Dogleg Par 4 399m - requires a decent drive to have a look at the green, the 14th at 375m is a tight hole where it feels like your hitting down a tunnel and the 15th a Par 5 has a tight landing area off the tee unless you can carry the bunkers at around 220m, trees line the fairway on both sides.
Bunkers protect a lot of the greens, and there are only a few fairway bunkers. I assuming with covid the bunkers are not being looked after, as they were pretty horrible.
Yowani is a decent track and will test your game off the tee and into the green. I found the layout ok but enjoyed playing Gungahlin Lakes more.

Yowani Country Club
Par 72 6150m Scratch 73 Slope 133
Green Fee $49

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52914&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52913&stc=1

WBennett
15th February 2021, 08:16 AM
Yowani's high quality and fast greens have always been a key strength of the course.

Where to next?

MAZA68
15th February 2021, 09:15 PM
Yowani's high quality and fast greens have always been a key strength of the course.

Certainly looked as if they could be good and quick.

Where to next?

Heading west, but not sure which way yet with the SA border closed to VIC.

PerryGroves
16th February 2021, 11:29 AM
Maza, was looking into this some months ago during the big lockdown as I wanted to get into SA from NSW without passing through Vic. Friend of mine grew up the NSW side of Mildura and her Dad has done the trip, involves some dirt roads but passable in a normal car. You end up in Renmark, the road goes to the south of Lake Victoria

Even if the numpty continues the lockdown, surely he will give the country areas a break.

wazamac
16th February 2021, 11:42 AM
Not sure but I think it is for Greater Melbourne only. Regional should be easier.

MAZA68
16th February 2021, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Did look at that option PG, have decided to go north a bit and have an outback adventure through Broken Hill.

WBennett
16th February 2021, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the info. Did look at that option PG, have decided to go north a bit and have an outback adventure through Broken Hill.

Sounds interesting. I was going to suggest a run from Canberra through the Murray, via Cooma, Talbingo, Tumut - snowy mountains scheme, Yarrangobilly, Adelong, then down to Albury and along the murray. Wineries, golf, its got everything!

MAZA68
16th February 2021, 06:30 PM
Sounds interesting. I was going to suggest a run from Canberra through the Murray, via Cooma, Talbingo, Tumut - snowy mountains scheme, Yarrangobilly, Adelong, then down to Albury and along the murray. Wineries, golf, its got everything!

Have to put that one on the list for the return trip or sometime in the future.

MAZA68
16th February 2021, 08:23 PM
Played the second course in Wagga Wagga, the City Course, as the Country Club were not taking visitors unless they were playing with a member - the pro shop was not interested in making much effort either.

The Wagga City course is actually outside the city, set on a sloping block of land. The course is a full 18 hole course that stretches to 6150m and well tree lined.
The front nine starts with a lengthy downhill Par 5 @ 543m and needs three solid shots to reach the green. This is followed by an uphill Par 3 and then a downhill slight dogleg Par 4. The rest of the holes expect for the 9th are a series of downhill/uphill holes of Par 4's and a Par 5. The 9th brings you back to the clubhouse and is a testy Par 3 at 172m with a creek down the left side.

The back nine starts with a 397m downhill Par 4, has a couple of decent Par 5's the 12th @ 472m, that curves left to right - water hazard near the landing and the 17th @ 484m that curves left to right of the tee, then is all uphill to the green. The 15th is also a decent Par 4 @ 380m, that curves around a big pond and will catch a stray drive or approach. The nine finishes with another Par 3 @ 170m, that plays a lot longer as it is all uphill to the green.
Water hazards come into play mostly on the 5th, 9th, 12th, 15th and 16th but the course has only a few bunkers.
The greens were tricky to read, were pretty slow but quite firm, some had slope but nothing dramatic unless the greens were super quick.
The fairways were very thick and gave up very little run. Off the fairways it was a mix of thick tufty grass patches or bare stoney ground.
Overall an interesting course to play, the condition I would put as average (guessing lack of money) but has some testing holes and good length to make sure you are on your game.

Wagga City Course
Par 72 6150m
Slope 133 Scratch 72
Green Fee $30

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52925&stc=1

qbnchopper
16th February 2021, 08:59 PM
I seem to remember Young was ok too - but that was 30 odd years ago maza ... maybe get some recent commentary

MAZA68
16th February 2021, 09:08 PM
I seem to remember Young was ok too - but that was 30 odd years ago maza ... maybe get some recent commentary

Cheers, heading slightly in the other direction. Forbes, Dubbo, Cobar and Broken Hill are going to be the next options.

Stuart
16th February 2021, 09:18 PM
Cheers, heading slightly in the other direction. Forbes, Dubbo, Cobar and Broken Hill are going to be the next options.

Lived in Cobar for a number of years ... playing golf/cricket there in summer is an experience. As is putting on sands for the first time.

WBennett
16th February 2021, 09:46 PM
Shame you couldn't get on to the Country Club.

City always struggles with money..only played there the once and no great desire to return.

Other places in the area worth a hit are Narrandera or Leeton, which have both improved out of sight the last couple.of years.

Temora was dirt last time I was that way, and Young gets really good reviews. The Bluestill Distillery has good drops too

wazamac
17th February 2021, 08:02 AM
Update on SA border. It is shut to regional until the lockdown is lifted.

MAZA68
17th February 2021, 01:51 PM
Shame you couldn't get on to the Country Club.City always struggles with money..only played there the once and no great desire to return.Other places in the area worth a hit are Narrandera or Leeton, which have both improved out of sight the last couple.of years.Temora was dirt last time I was that way, and Young gets really good reviews. The Bluestill Distillery has good drops tooMet the ex greenkeeper from Leeton when we were at Merry Beach, he said they had made big improvements.

MAZA68
17th February 2021, 07:36 PM
Update on SA border. It is shut to regional until the lockdown is lifted.

Cool, may have to change our plans. My wife is keen to get to SA.

MAZA68
20th February 2021, 05:33 PM
Forbes GC Par 72 6100m Slope 123 Scratch 73 (Blue)
Green Fee $39

Forbes is an 18 hole layout established in 1909!
The course is very flat, well tree lined, with a water course running through the middle that comes into play on a several holes.
The front nine runs around the perimeter of the course, and then the back nine is set inside the middle.
The fairway widths change around the course with some quite generous and others tight into the landing areas. A few dogleg holes, where having the tee shot in position will give a good look at the green.
The course was in good condition, the fairways provided a fair run and the greens played well.

The front nine had three Par 5's and three Par 3's and starts with a Par 3 5 3 combination, with the first at 190m, good starter!
The 1st hole demands a solid hit, through some large trees to the green that slopes front to back and falls off on all sides. The 4th a Par 4 at 367m, needs a tee shot around the corner, then has a carry over a water hazard that sits 70m or so short of the green. A couple of the Par 5's on the back nine show the contrast in the holes, the 6th at 419m a dogleg right to left with a generous fairway and then the 7th follows at 473m with a narrow tree lined fairway and OB all down the right.
The back nine has a good mix of Par 4's and finishes on a narrow 180m Par 3. The 11th and 14th are long dogleg Par 4's that need solid tee shots to have a look at the greens. The Par 5 15th has a water carry into the green after a reasonable tee shot. It narrows up by the green with large trees leaning out into the fairway.
Overall a good quality course to play, with plenty of length and variety of holes.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52973&stc=1

markTHEblake
21st February 2021, 11:24 PM
Looks like a perfect hole to start with a shank.

MAZA68
22nd February 2021, 08:18 AM
Looks like a perfect hole to start with a shank.Yea to put it in the clubhouse

WBennett
22nd February 2021, 08:33 AM
Where to next Maza? Dubbo and the 27 holer is meant to be worth a hit. I tried to get there when we went a few years ago, but the zoo appealed to the kids more

MAZA68
22nd February 2021, 01:58 PM
Where to next Maza? Dubbo and the 27 holer is meant to be worth a hit. I tried to get there when we went a few years ago, but the zoo appealed to the kids moreDid a turnaround and now in Mildura, heading into SA this week.Was going to play Hay, but playing in 38C didnt appeal.

Hatchman
22nd February 2021, 06:58 PM
Did a turnaround and now in Mildura, heading into SA this week.Was going to play Hay, but playing in 38C didnt appeal.

Depending on how long your in that area the best imho are:
Coomealla (involves crossing boarder in NSW)
Riverside Mildura
Red Cliffs
and lastly if you've got time for a 4th, Mildura Country Club
Don't worry about Merbein

MAZA68
22nd February 2021, 07:54 PM
Depending on how long your in that area the best imho are:
Coomealla (involves crossing boarder in NSW)
Riverside Mildura
Red Cliffs
and lastly if you've got time for a 4th, Mildura Country Club
Don't worry about Merbein

Thanks, played Riverside today, drove into Mildura yesterday and it didn't have a great feel about (horrible looking motel units and the dump beside it... its called a "Resort" now.
Only have time for the one round here, as doing tourist stuff tomorrow and into SA Wednesday, first stop Waikerie.

MAZA68
22nd February 2021, 08:54 PM
First stop in Victoria at Mildura and had a round at Riverside GC.
The course is a few kms out of Mildura on the banks of the Murray, although there are only small views of the river from the course.
The fairways were in great condition and are lined with huge gum trees on the majority of the holes. Very few bunkers on the course and a couple of water hazards to cross on a couple of holes. The bent greens were in pretty good nick as well, with only the odd little bare spot and the usual pitch marks! The pro said a couple are due to be ripped up, I think 16 green was looking a bit rough on one side.
Tough starter in a Par 4 @ 345m, that is quite narrow and has the green tucked around the corner and a grandstand finishing hole, Par 3 @ 146m to an elevated green hitting between the two large gums make for a challenging round.
Placement off the tee would be the key to playing Riverside, as the number of dogleg holes dictate the next shot.

Riverside GC Par 72 Slope 116 Scratch 71 (Blue)
Green Fee $30

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52988&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52987&stc=1

Hatchman
22nd February 2021, 11:18 PM
Thanks, played Riverside today, drove into Mildura yesterday and it didn't have a great feel about (horrible looking motel units and the dump beside it... its called a "Resort" now.
Only have time for the one round here, as doing tourist stuff tomorrow and into SA Wednesday, first stop Waikerie.

That's a very fine choice you've you made there.
This course is a well hidden gem that sadly not many in our own state have played.
I'm sure you've mapped your route already but if you haven't the course is a long way out of the town itself in a fruit growing area called Sundlands.
Interested in what you think.
It's my second favorite of the 5 Riverland courses with Loxton being number 1.

thecollective
23rd February 2021, 12:42 PM
First stop in Victoria at Mildura and had a round at Riverside GC.
The course is a few kms out of Mildura on the banks of the Murray, although there are only small views of the river from the course.
The fairways were in great condition and are lined with huge gum trees on the majority of the holes. Very few bunkers on the course and a couple of water hazards to cross on a couple of holes. The bent greens were in pretty good nick as well, with only the odd little bare spot and the usual pitch marks! The pro said a couple are due to be ripped up, I think 16 green was looking a bit rough on one side.
Tough starter in a Par 4 @ 345m, that is quite narrow and has the green tucked around the corner and a grandstand finishing hole, Par 3 @ 146m to an elevated green hitting between the two large gums make for a challenging round.
Placement off the tee would be the key to playing Riverside, as the number of dogleg holes dictate the next shot.

Riverside GC Par 72 Slope 116 Scratch 71 (Blue)
Green Fee $30

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52988&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=52987&stc=1

Thanks for sharing Mazda, Riverside is a solid course. The highlight for me is the great set of Par 3's but my only criticism is the number of tucked away tee shots that become a little too one dimensional with so many dogleg fairways.

Next time you're in Mildura head over the border to Coomealla, this is a fantastic country track operated by a successful community funded sports club.

Looking forward to meeting you at Champs, are you in for the Friday round at Blackwood?

MAZA68
23rd February 2021, 03:00 PM
Thanks for sharing Mazda, Riverside is a solid course. The highlight for me is the great set of Par 3's but my only criticism is the number of tucked away tee shots that become a little too one dimensional with so many dogleg fairways.Next time you're in Mildura head over the border to Coomealla, this is a fantastic country track operated by a successful community funded sports club. Looking forward to meeting you at Champs, are you in for the Friday round at Blackwood?Agree, first time round it is tricky to workout some of the dog legs, par 5 5th is a good example.Not sure on the friday round, still to plan our journey through SA.

thecollective
23rd February 2021, 03:03 PM
Agree, first time round it is tricky to workout some of the dog legs, par 5 5th is a good example.Not sure on the friday round, still to plan our journey through SA.

Is that the one with the huge left hand turn with the large arrow on a pine tree. That was a wacky tee shot

Hatchman
23rd February 2021, 05:23 PM
Agree, first time round it is tricky to workout some of the dog legs, par 5 5th is a good example.Not sure on the friday round, still to plan our journey through SA.

If your near Port Hughes on Thursday March 4th your welcome to join me for a game at The Dunes Port Hughes that day. No time is locked in yet but I'm defiantly playing that day while staying down there for a couple days.

MAZA68
23rd February 2021, 07:08 PM
Is that the one with the huge left hand turn with the large arrow on a pine tree. That was a wacky tee shot

The 5th is the one where you hit drive and then try to work out where the second needs to be to see the green. Maybe the 14th your thinking of or the 3rd the Par 4 that if you hit straight there is still 200m+ in to the green.

MAZA68
28th February 2021, 07:25 PM
Moving onto our South Australia leg of the journey, with our first stop at Waikerie (allegedly has more sunshine hours than the Gold Coast) a small township in the Riverland region. The course sits 10 minutes or so outside of the township in an area called Sunlands on undulating countryside. The course has a very mod looking clubhouse and equally mod on-site accommodation.
The course itself boasts some decent length at 6064m, with several tee shots off elevated tee blocks and fairways that give up very little run.
Several doglegs feature on the course with a few (for the first time) a little tricky to see where you need to hit to.
The greens were in good condition, just a little on the slow side as they had been watered heaps to help with the repairs from the bird damaged on the greens - bloody cockatoos and galah's.
No bunkers or water hazards to speak of, but if you go too wide off the fairway, you'll find the natural bunkers of the red sand.
Interesting Par 3's, with the 6th having a semi blind tee shot over the trees, to a green that drops away steeply on both sides. I found the Par 3 13th @ 121m, an odd hole as it sat between two par 4's, where it also shared the same teeing ground as the 14th.
Good strong Par 4's with a 402m and 387m to start the front nine and a couple of 390m+ 4's in the middle. The nine finishes on a gentle dogleg 477m Par 5 in front of the clubhouse.
A short walk around the clubhouse finds the 10th, a short dogleg Par 4 that has a blind landing area, to a green tucked up in the corner. The back nine has some shorter Par 4's that have gentle doglegs and a couple of good Par 5's. The 11th off an elevated tee block curves around left to right with a semi blind shot for the second and the 18th that stretches out to 481m, has a dogleg to curve around on the second shot, to a two tiered green.
Most of the greens have a bit of slope to them and certainly have places were putts will be very slick with the greens up to speed.
A good quality course, certainly worth a round.
Not sure how they make ends meet, as I was the only one on the course from late morning to early arvo.

Waikerie Golf & Country Club
Par 72 6064m
Slope 118 Scratch 72 (Blue)
Green Fee $40

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53032&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53031&stc=1

MAZA68
1st March 2021, 09:15 PM
A trip into the city today to play the North Adelaide GC - South Course. The course sits pretty much in the heart of Adelaide, amongst all the city greenery and across the road from the Adelaide Oval.
There are three course to choose from a Par 3 layout, the short North course and the full 18 hole south course layout.
The south course has elevation changes throughout, is heavily tree lined and has a good mix of long and short holes. Fairway bunkers feature on several holes that narrow up the holes. Elevated tee blocks and hitting into blind greens are a feature on several holes. The course also has a flatter section mixed in with the elevation changes.
The condition of the course was pretty good, with nice lush fairways, greens quite receptive although a little bumpy from recent renovations.
A few sneaky dogleg holes in the Par 5 2nd and the Par 4 4th require good placement on the tee shot to have a good look at the greens.
A good sequence of holes in the finish, with the Par 5 15th needing an accurate tee shot to avoid the fairway bunkers and trees, will give a good look at the elevated green. The 16th a long downhill Par 3, with an undulating green. The 17th Par 4 at 381m, requires a solid drive to the corner of the dogleg to have a look at the green that sits well below the fairway and then the 18th Par 4, not overly long but hits up to a blind putting surface well above the fairway.
For a course in the middle of the city it offers a quality course, that will provide a good challenge.

North Adelaide GC South Course
Par 71 Slope 123 Scratch 71 5805m - Blue Tees
Green Fee - $31.50 Weekdays $39 Weekends

.https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53040&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53041&stc=1

MAZA68
6th March 2021, 07:20 PM
A venture down to the peninsular and took in the Victor Harbour Golf Course. The course is set at the back of the township and has a spectacular view out over the ocean and Victor Harbour.
The daunting 1st hole tees off 30m or so above the tree lined fairway and plays at 400m. The rest of the course is generally flat with the last few holes bringing in a bit of slope.
The course is heavily tree lined and tight in places, especially on a lot of the dogleg holes. Condition of the course was excellent, with some of the best greens I've played on for sometime. Tricky slopes and fast greens will make for some challenging putting - managed to twice chip through the green. Good bunkering around the greens will catch the short and wide shots.
A good selection of par 3's, the 3rd at 150m and the 10th at 192m, the stand outs for me. The 3rd has trouble everywhere, bunkers and bush both wide and long and a big dip in the front. The 10th shoots across the 1st fairway with the famous "stobie pole" attracting balls (apparently) on many occasions and has a slippery green from back to front.
The dogleg par 4's mostly swing from left to right, with well placed tee shots giving a look at the greens. The 9th and 17th both have slippery greens, the 17th has three tiers and getting on the pin level is a must. The 18th has a blind tee shot, but hit on the right line can get the shot very close to the green.
Some good Par 5's, with probably the best two on the back nine, 12 and 13. The 12th is long and straight off the tee, than has the green tucked around the corner at the 100m mark. Thirteen has driving options with bunkers to carry/layup at the 210-220m.
An enjoyable course to play, with a good variety in the holes and kept in excellent condition.

Victor Harbour Golf Club
Par 72 Scratch 72 Slope 129 5964m (Blue)
Green Fee $35

Next Stop --- Robe

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53077&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53076&stc=1

Hatchman
10th March 2021, 12:23 AM
I await your review of Robe as it's quirky in that each set of 6 holes is very different from each other.
Originally it was a 12 hole course up until a few years ago.
1-6 is nice
7-12 is spectacular
13-18 is very boring and you can't believe it's part of the same course after playing 1-12.

MAZA68
10th March 2021, 08:06 PM
For the long weekend in SA we took a trip down to Robe, apart from a few crazy drivers and an icey wind on arrival it was a great spot with plenty of walks, lots of historic buildings and local shops to check out.
The Robe Golf Course is a unique layout, in that it is split into three lots of six holes - Ocean, Dunes, and Clubhouse.
The first six, the Ocean holes are a natural links layout, with small greens, that weaves its way around a series of sand dunes and give lots of up hill and down hill shots.
The Dunes Holes 6 -12, is by far the best of the six's and is professionally designed. It has large greens with lots of contours in and around the greens and rolls around some huge sandhills with each hole separate from other.
The Clubhouse six is the original layout built in 1924 and needs a renovation. The time I got to the last six (Clubhouse) the wind had got up more which gave some of the holes a bit of a bite.
Although the layouts are all different in structure, the green surfaces were pretty consistent throughout but the Dunes greens are a lot more challenging. A missed green on the Dunes layout, presented a tricky pitch/chip into the green. The changes between the six's is quite dramatic, and playing the Clubhouse six last leaves you a bit underwhelmed as the Oceans and in particular the Dunes holes are so much better.
A course certainly worth playing if in the area.

Robe Golf Club
Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 121 5334m
Green Fee $40

A few more days in Adelaide and then off to explore the Yorke and Eyre Peninsula's.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53099&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53100&stc=1

thecollective
11th March 2021, 08:36 PM
From what I know on the grapevine the club is planning to sell the land on the last 6 and build another set of dune holes to replace it. If they do that the course will probably land in the oz top 100 just in front of Lady Bay

thecollective
11th March 2021, 08:42 PM
A good selection of par 3's, the 3rd at 150m and the 10th at 192m, the stand outs for me. The 3rd has trouble everywhere, bunkers and bush both wide and long and a big dip in the front. The 10th shoots across the 1st fairway with the famous "stobie pole" attracting balls (apparently) on many occasions and has a slippery green from back to front.
The dogleg par 4's mostly swing from left to right, with well placed tee shots giving a look at the greens. The 9th and 17th both have slippery greens, the 17th has three tiers and getting on the pin level is a must. The 18th has a blind tee shot, but hit on the right line can get the shot very close to the green.
Some good Par 5's, with probably the best two on the back nine, 12 and 13. The 12th is long and straight off the tee, than has the green tucked around the corner at the 100m mark. Thirteen has driving options with bunkers to carry/layup at the 210-220m.
An enjoyable course to play, with a good variety in the holes and kept in excellent condition.

Surprised that you rate #10 and #12 so highly. IMO 10 is a connecting filler hole and #12 is very one dimensional due to the amount of trees that block any possibility of a risk reward. #6 is a better Par 5 and gives the player more options from tee to green.

Hatchman
11th March 2021, 09:12 PM
For the long weekend in SA we took a trip down to Robe, apart from a few crazy drivers and an icey wind on arrival it was a great spot with plenty of walks, lots of historic buildings and local shops to check out.
The Robe Golf Course is a unique layout, in that it is split into three lots of six holes - Ocean, Dunes, and Clubhouse.
The first six, the Ocean holes are a natural links layout, with small greens, that weaves its way around a series of sand dunes and give lots of up hill and down hill shots.
The Dunes Holes 6 -12, is by far the best of the six's and is professionally designed. It has large greens with lots of contours in and around the greens and rolls around some huge sandhills with each hole separate from other.
The Clubhouse six is the original layout built in 1924 and needs a renovation. The time I got to the last six (Clubhouse) the wind had got up more which gave some of the holes a bit of a bite.
Although the layouts are all different in structure, the green surfaces were pretty consistent throughout but the Dunes greens are a lot more challenging. A missed green on the Dunes layout, presented a tricky pitch/chip into the green. The changes between the six's is quite dramatic, and playing the Clubhouse six last leaves you a bit underwhelmed as the Oceans and in particular the Dunes holes are so much better.
A course certainly worth playing if in the area.

Robe Golf Club
Par 70 Scratch 69 Slope 121 5334m
Green Fee $40

A few more days in Adelaide and then off to explore the Yorke and Eyre Peninsula's.

You have any particular Courses in mind on that trek?
There's not a whole lot that have Greens in that direction.
The Dunes Port Hughes
Port Augusta
Whyalla
Port Lincoln
These are the only ones. I wont count Port Pirie's synthetics and its basically dirt from Tee to those synthetics until the winter rains.

MAZA68
12th March 2021, 04:54 PM
You have any particular Courses in mind on that trek?There's not a whole lot that have Greens in that direction.The Dunes Port HughesPort AugustaWhyallaPort Lincoln These are the only ones. I wont count Port Pirie's synthetics and its basically dirt from Tee to those synthetics until the winter rains. Cheers, nothing really set in stone yet. The experience of a few sand green courses is on the agenda.

MAZA68
12th March 2021, 06:05 PM
From what I know on the grapevine the club is planning to sell the land on the last 6 and build another set of dune holes to replace it. If they do that the course will probably land in the oz top 100 just in front of Lady BayThat would be a great decision.
If I knew what the last six were like currently, I would have gone and played 7-12 again.

MAZA68
13th March 2021, 01:23 PM
Surprised that you rate #10 and #12 so highly. IMO 10 is a connecting filler hole and #12 is very one dimensional due to the amount of trees that block any possibility of a risk reward. #6 is a better Par 5 and gives the player more options from tee to green. I thought six was quite open, the biggest risk was the big arse roo in the left rough, kept well away from there!