PDA

View Full Version : Mental game for the single handicappers

okitoki
11th May 2020, 07:22 PM
With the recent lessons I had, and the changes made to my swing, I have seen some improvements to my scores and approaching the single digit handicap goal of mine.

So I am hoping to find out from all the Ozgolfers here who have played single digits how you approach the game?

I am not a long hitter (Drive average around 220m while my 7i is 140m ), so I know most of the time I will need to rely on my short games to aim for a chip and a putt to get my par. Last few good rounds I had I know it could have been better if I had not missed those easy short putts, so thats something I have to work on.

The hardest part for me is the mental game now. I know I should take every shot as it comes and not worry about the last shot (good or bad), but it's kind of hard not to dwell on it after a double bogey and I keep thinking I only have 5 shots available in this 9.

so how do you guys play the game? what areas do you work on?

AndyP
11th May 2020, 07:24 PM
Have you read Bob Rotella? His books are great for the mental game.

okitoki
11th May 2020, 07:27 PM
honestly I never really read a golf book fully; just my dad's old jack nicklaus instruction book when I was a kid

Flavzz
11th May 2020, 07:51 PM
Have you read Bob Rotella? His books are great for the mental game. These are available on Audiobook too. I'm sure I have a copy somewhere. Highly recommend.

okitoki
11th May 2020, 07:52 PM
thanks for the heads up on the audiobook; Have found some places to get a copy of it :)

found The Golf of your dreams and Golf is not a game of Perfect

BUSHY
11th May 2020, 08:00 PM
With the recent lessons I had, and the changes made to my swing, I have seen some improvements to my scores and approaching the single digit handicap goal of mine.

So I am hoping to find out from all the Ozgolfers here who have played single digits how you approach the game?

I am not a long hitter (Drive average around 220m while my 7i is 140m ), so I know most of the time I will need to rely on my short games to aim for a chip and a putt to get my par. Last few good rounds I had I know it could have been better if I had not missed those easy short putts, so thats something I have to work on.

The hardest part for me is the mental game now. I know I should take every shot as it comes and not worry about the last shot (good or bad), but it's kind of hard not to dwell on it after a double bogey and I keep thinking I only have 5 shots available in this 9.

There’s so much free, good info out there and I found what works for me. Try and track down some podcasts and or clips with Lynn Marriot and Pia Nilsson.

There’s some solid nuggets in their teaching if you read their book.

https://www.vision54.com/be-a-player

Ferrins
11th May 2020, 08:06 PM
Make bogey your worst score and then have more pars than bogeys.

thecollective
11th May 2020, 10:03 PM
Make bogey your worst score and then have more pars than bogeys.

This! You need to feel like every bogey is worth one point regardless of granted shots

I have one decent round left to reach 9 so I’ll race you to the finish line [emoji1683]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Canuck
11th May 2020, 10:15 PM
Thinking that you only have 5 shots left for the 9 is setting yourself up for failure. You are putting added, unnecessary pressure on yourself.

I play vs par, not a handicap. I don’t keep track of little things like shots remaining. In fact, I generally don’t even keep track of where I am vs par or my cap during a round.

PerryGroves
11th May 2020, 10:22 PM
Thinking that you only have 5 shots left for the 9 is setting yourself up for failure. You are putting added, unnecessary pressure on yourself.

I play vs par, not a handicap. I don’t keep track of little things like shots remaining. In fact, I generally don’t even keep track of where I am vs par or my cap during a round.

Depends what type of person you are, I always know my score, the 4ball, match and probably within 1-2 everyone elses.

Playing cricket if I was on say 63, I knew, driving a car I keep recalculating my arrival time as I'm going. All quite pointless but I'm not sure that even if I wanted to I could stop.

markTHEblake
11th May 2020, 10:56 PM
You cant acquire mental toughness not knowing your score.

The Psychology of Tournament Golf by Dr David L Cook. Absolutely nails it. If i remember correctly he says Performance = Potential minus distractions.

There is a few of his talks on You Tube or Vimeo, check this one out, its one of his best. SKIP to 6mins 18 sec to hear an awesome anecdote about Steve Lowery that just puts all this into perspective
https://youtu.be/54nbLaQ102o

He also wrote a book and a movie called Seven Days in Utopia which is a parable of his Golf Tournament Psychology book, but whilst its entertaining, it only breifly touches on each 'chapter' . If you are serious about your golf, get the real book.

Johnny Canuck
12th May 2020, 12:44 PM
You cant acquire mental toughness not knowing your score.

The Psychology of Tournament Golf by Dr David L Cook. Absolutely nails it. If i remember correctly he says Performance = Potential minus distractions.

There is a few of his talks on You Tube or Vimeo, check this one out, its one of his best. SKIP to 6mins 18 sec to hear an awesome anecdote about Steve Lowery that just puts all this into perspective
https://youtu.be/54nbLaQ102o

He also wrote a book and a movie called Seven Days in Utopia which is a parable of his Golf Tournament Psychology book, but whilst its entertaining, it only breifly touches on each 'chapter' . If you are serious about your golf, get the real book.

I try and focus on what I can control - the shot in front of me and nothing else.

In match play, I'll assess what my opponent faces and adjust accordingly.

I feel my mental "toughness" is very strong, but it probably comes from playing a multitude of sports over many years. I'm also optimistic by nature, so I always believe I am going to make shots, no matter how poorly I've been hitting it.

I'll check out that link a little later on. Always interested in anything that can assist.

thecollective
12th May 2020, 12:58 PM
I try and focus on what I can control - the shot in front of me and nothing else.

In match play, I'll assess what my opponent faces and adjust accordingly.

I feel my mental "toughness" is very strong, but it probably comes from playing a multitude of sports over many years. I'm also optimistic by nature, so I always believe I am going to make shots, no matter how poorly I've been hitting it.

I'll check out that link a little later on. Always interested in anything that can assist.

This is good insight JC, I know you're a good player so im taking note.

What is your thought process on short putts?

Johnny Canuck
12th May 2020, 01:00 PM

I choose my line/target and get my aim set. Setup with one hand on the club in this process.

As soon as my second hand grips the club, I start my takeway.

It keeps the motion natural and doesn’t allow my brain to think any stupid negative thoughts before I putt the ball.

okitoki
12th May 2020, 01:39 PM
ugh... thats my problem with short/medium putts... I tend to 2nd guess my read, and I either readjust my aim or go chicken shiet with the stroke which either dripple left or push right for a lip out....
I am putting more efforts into my putting practice now; today doing the putt around the hole drill was infuriating by the time I finished 2/3 around the hole.

Hatchman
12th May 2020, 01:42 PM

How short are you calling short?

Bigbad
12th May 2020, 01:45 PM
I've been hovering around mid to low singles for the last 6 years or so. For me, it's just about playing as much as you can. I don't really use a driving range, I just try play 5/9/12/18 holes of a weekday afternoon, then play my usual Saturday comp round. Repetition is key to knowing your game, then you can translate that to scoring. The more shots you hit on a course, off different lies, with different angles, the better off you'll be. I find the less I think during the round the better, you also have to remember that you're an amateur, you don't hit 1000 balls a day, so you're going to hit bad shots.

Hatchman
12th May 2020, 02:11 PM
ugh... thats my problem with short/medium putts... I tend to 2nd guess my read, and I either readjust my aim or go chicken shiet with the stroke which either dripple left or push right for a lip out....
I am putting more efforts into my putting practice now; today doing the putt around the hole drill was infuriating by the time I finished 2/3 around the hole.

Sounds like you haven't decided what type of putter you want to be?
IMHO there's only 2 types.
1. Firm to go 6-12 inches past the hole
2. Die the ball into the hole (Lag Putter).

Again OMHO, the main focus of your putting should be about the speed. Your lines are then chosen according to your desired speed.
Unless your playing on super slick greens or holes cut on obvious side slopes (or both) you shouldn't be giving the hole away from short range up to around 4 foot if your a firm putter. If your a lag putter your going to be giving the hole away sometimes and subject to the ball moving off the imperfections because of the lumpy doughnut around the hole where every body stands picking the ball up from around the hole (only super hard greens wont have that issue). Deviations resulting in missed putts from stuff you cant see leads to questioning your stroke or aim and then that often results in corrections or over corrections on the next short putt(s) resulting in more missed putts and the vicious cycle starts.

I recommend working on some distance control drills on the practice green and block out the obsession with thinking everything must go in the hole.
Take 3 balls
1st from 6 foot
2nd from 8 foot
3rd from 10 foot
Keep repeating that over and over. You can mix up the length of the first putt but each other one should be 2-3 foot longer to train some feel for distance control.
During the whole process you thoughts should be about the speed you want to hit the putt.
All the the above assumes you can already put a reasonable roll on the ball.
A good roll on the ball helps ride the lumpy doughnut more consistently without getting the deviations.

thecollective
12th May 2020, 02:32 PM
Best thing I did with putting was give into my natural instinct and use an old fashioned pop stroke. Since this change I average around 34-32 putts per round, before it was 40+.

Im now one round away from 9 hcp but yet still feels like unfinished business

thecollective
12th May 2020, 02:37 PM
How short are you calling short?

lets say 8 feet in

Hatchman
12th May 2020, 03:25 PM
lets say 8 feet in

See above reply to Okitoki except you may need to start no more than out side the cup from 6-8 foot with a small break.
It's still all about consistency of your speed control.

okitoki
12th May 2020, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the advice.
I have to admit that my putting has improved recently due to distance control drills I have been working on with my club pro. the number of 3 putts have significantly reduced.
The biggest areas I have benefited from this is medium-long distance putts, I am pretty much able to get it within the 3 foot circle for the easy 2nd putt. What gets me is when I land close to pin at around >3ft distance for the birdy/par putts that kills me.
With the firm at hole strokes, I am usually good when the green is on the slower side, but once I overshoot a hole due to fast greens... i drop to a quivering mess and start to baby my putts.

However, those putts are dead easy during quick 9 holes practice session so it annoys me even more knowing that I can hole them easily when I am not under pressure. :x

Will try those drills you have suggested.

Sounds like you haven't decided what type of putter you want to be?
IMHO there's only 2 types.
1. Firm to go 6-12 inches past the hole
2. Die the ball into the hole (Lag Putter).

Again OMHO, the main focus of your putting should be about the speed. Your lines are then chosen according to your desired speed.
Unless your playing on super slick greens or holes cut on obvious side slopes (or both) you shouldn't be giving the hole away from short range up to around 4 foot if your a firm putter. If your a lag putter your going to be giving the hole away sometimes and subject to the ball moving off the imperfections because of the lumpy doughnut around the hole where every body stands picking the ball up from around the hole (only super hard greens wont have that issue). Deviations resulting in missed putts from stuff you cant see leads to questioning your stroke or aim and then that often results in corrections or over corrections on the next short putt(s) resulting in more missed putts and the vicious cycle starts.

I recommend working on some distance control drills on the practice green and block out the obsession with thinking everything must go in the hole.
Take 3 balls
1st from 6 foot
2nd from 8 foot
3rd from 10 foot
Keep repeating that over and over. You can mix up the length of the first putt but each other one should be 2-3 foot longer to train some feel for distance control.
During the whole process you thoughts should be about the speed you want to hit the putt.
All the the above assumes you can already put a reasonable roll on the ball.
A good roll on the ball helps ride the lumpy doughnut more consistently without getting the deviations.

JoeS
12th May 2020, 06:25 PM
First thing in the morning,you need to check the weather.Nothing can ruin your day more than getting miserable because it is raining,or 40d,or whatever.Nothing you can do about it.Formulate a plan for the round,what is today's goal.Is their a problem hole that you want to play better.What club has been working?Are you making the same mistakes without trying something different?

But honestly,for me
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Just try to keep it on the cut stuff,enjoy the time with your playing partners,and hopefully hole a few putts.Thats about all I worry about.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MAZA68
12th May 2020, 10:06 PM
Watching Scotty's 9 hole game at Maleny the other day he gave tips on putting, his main focus was reading greens and on alignment.

petethepilot
12th May 2020, 10:41 PM
Before play, I never practice putting to a hole. I will putt 20 to 30’ putts to a space and try and feel the distance. I finish up my routine by putting 3’ putts at a ball (ie a smaller target than a hole). I try to hit the ball with some speed...ie the ball would roll 1’ to 2’ by if I missed.

I try to be feel based not mechanical.

Toolish
12th May 2020, 11:20 PM
Currently off 5, lowest has been 2.

You say you are short, if you carry it 220 with driver and 140 with 7 iron you are about half a club shorter than me so not a massive difference.

Mentally I play my best when I enjoy it, and enjoy it more when I lay well. How to get into that cycle is my issue. Being confident and committed all stem from that too. As you get lower I feel like commitment to the shot becomes more important. I have read the Vision 54 stuff but have not had a chance to implement yet due to Covid.

So, basically try to enjoy it. Trust yourself...and forgive and forget bad shots. Now if I can just take my own advice.

thecollective
13th May 2020, 10:04 AM
I agree 220 carry is by no means short, I average about 225 carry and hit it past most of the high single figure markers (6-9) at my club

wazamac
13th May 2020, 11:05 AM
Haha. I cant even get 200m all up:lol:

Captain Nemo
13th May 2020, 11:12 AM
Anyone got any tips for pretend/wannabee single digit playas!

okitoki
13th May 2020, 12:42 PM

I thought that's why I am asking here :D

8081travis
13th May 2020, 12:46 PM
Anyone got any tips for pretend/wannabee single digit playas! You know the story about the “Boy who called wolf”?

WBennett
13th May 2020, 01:39 PM

You should be off 6, permanently.

Dotty
13th May 2020, 02:40 PM
Watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, before challenging two old blokes for dinner.

thecollective
13th May 2020, 02:55 PM
I do miss the days of playing off 18, wipe wipe start, bogey train and then 3 birdies for a tidy 38 points

Shreko
13th May 2020, 03:37 PM

That is farming talk!!! I have seen how good you hit it!!!!

Shreko
13th May 2020, 03:43 PM
I think some of the biggest differences between mid teens and mid singles is:

* to try no to have 2 poor swings in a row* ( most low markers rarely do this)
* have a default swing thought/shape/preshot that you can always go to when your game goes to sh*t (happens to everyone)
* be aggressive with birdie or short par putts, try to never leave them short

bit curious that there is only 80mt difference between your 7 iron and driver (Drive average around 220m while my 7i is 140m)

Mine is at least 100-120mt difference

okitoki
13th May 2020, 03:59 PM
I think some of the biggest differences between mid teens and mid singles is:

bit curious that there is only 80mt difference between your 7 iron and driver (Drive average around 220m while my 7i is 140m)

My gappings are like this

Driver - 220
3FW - 200
3H - 185
4H - 175
5H - 165
6i - 150
7i - 140
8i - 130
9i - 120
PW - 110
GW - 95
SW - 75
LW - 60

The driver is still a battle between forgiving high shots that doesnt roll or low shots that rolls long but always get me into the shiet.... at the moment, on dryer days, i would get better rolls, but now in winter it is stopping dead.

My typical 2nd shots is around the 150m so I have been concentrating on working on my 6i or get more confidence with the 5h

Webster
13th May 2020, 04:03 PM
The game of golf is very simple. You hit the ball onto the fairway, you put the next one on the green and you try not to have no more than 2 putts. With today's equipment, the game has never been easier, especially the "hit it onto the fairway" bit with modern drivers and fairway woods.

If you are reasonably confident with your fundamentals and shot making capabilities, then how you manage your way around the course largely determines what your score will look like. In its simplest form, you aim up the middle and try to put the approach shots onto the middle of the green. You can be more aggressive as you get closer in, but all you are realistically trying to do is not put yourself in a position to make mistakes, or worse compound them into massive scores.

The mental side is more complicated. All the ability in the world is of little use if you can't get your head right during the round. As amateur golfers we are all going to make mistakes and hit poor shots. How you recover mentally from a poor shot largely dictates the success of the next shot. I have seen very few, if any, amateur golfers, who can blow up and then play well over the next few shots and holes - it just doesn't happen. Maintain a level head through the highs and lows of the round and remember that the only important thing in golf is the next shot.

Oh, and forget about putting drills from 6,8,10 feet etc, it's a complete waste of time. Spend half your time knocking in 4 footers, and the other half practising lag putts from 40 feet across a variety of slopes and lines - if you can develop an understand of how to get the them close from that range and confidence to knock the next ones in, everything in between will fall into place.

Love, Webster.

Hatchman
13th May 2020, 04:43 PM
Watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, before challenging a 50yr old white guy for dinner or Kitcheners.

Fixed that for you Dotty

Dotty
13th May 2020, 05:17 PM
Fixed that for you Dotty
I won a pie off him at Port Fairy!

I think it was sympathy after he won dinner at the Portland RSL the day before.

Bigbad
13th May 2020, 06:33 PM
Oh, and forget about putting drills from 6,8,10 feet etc, it's a complete waste of time. Spend half your time knocking in 4 footers, and the other half practising lag putts from 40 feet across a variety of slopes and lines - if you can develop an understand of how to get the them close from that range and confidence to knock the next ones in, everything in between will fall into place.

Love, Webster.

This. Pros only make about 50% of the 8 footers that they have, and they practice daily. Practice long lag putts so you give yourself nothing worse than a 3-4 footer and just be rock solid over that distance.

oldracer
14th May 2020, 06:52 PM
Watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, before challenging two old blokes for dinner.

HaHa what he said

Johnny Canuck
14th May 2020, 07:10 PM
The game of golf is very simple. You hit the ball onto the fairway, you put the next one on the green and you try not to have no more than 2 putts. With today's equipment, the game has never been easier, especially the "hit it onto the fairway" bit with modern drivers and fairway woods.

If you are reasonably confident with your fundamentals and shot making capabilities, then how you manage your way around the course largely determines what your score will look like. In its simplest form, you aim up the middle and try to put the approach shots onto the middle of the green. You can be more aggressive as you get closer in, but all you are realistically trying to do is not put yourself in a position to make mistakes, or worse compound them into massive scores.

The mental side is more complicated. All the ability in the world is of little use if you can't get your head right during the round. As amateur golfers we are all going to make mistakes and hit poor shots. How you recover mentally from a poor shot largely dictates the success of the next shot. I have seen very few, if any, amateur golfers, who can blow up and then play well over the next few shots and holes - it just doesn't happen. Maintain a level head through the highs and lows of the round and remember that the only important thing in golf is the next shot.

Love, Webster.

Before a round, this is pretty much what I do.

I generally only hit 4-5 footers to make sure I’m hitting it straight.

If it’s not online from 4, it’s not online from 40.

Ferrins
14th May 2020, 07:42 PM
If I want to score lower I will set a goal.
Last round was evens for par 4's and 5 highest score on the card.
Had one over for the 4's and 5 was the highest
2nd last round par for 3's and 5's combined even par
Was one over that combined
3rd last was more birdies than pars and bogie highest score
3 birds and 4 bogies and no doubles or worse

Ferrins
16th May 2020, 04:20 PM
Well looks like this info missed the mark.

okitoki
16th May 2020, 04:33 PM
Well looks like this info missed the mark. Yeap... pretty much didn't workout today. Replied too much on up and downs but it doesn't work well when the short games are not up to scratch.4 GIR and 32 putts is just not there today

Ferrins
16th May 2020, 04:46 PM
You're not far off, last round I hit six greens and had 28 putts for 5 over the stick.
Maybe try bump and runs with 8 iron

okitoki
16th May 2020, 05:04 PM
You're not far off, last round I hit six greens and had 28 putts for 5 over the stick.Maybe try bump and runs with 8 ironHaha... that's what kept getting me into trouble.... all seems hot off the face even when I just putted it....

Ferrins
16th May 2020, 05:13 PM
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/todd-anderson-chip-pitch-lob

Ferrins
16th May 2020, 05:14 PM
I found that link helpful.

thecollective
16th May 2020, 08:46 PM
sums it up pretty well

AndyP
17th May 2020, 03:20 PM
I just marked a cross 4 feet from a couple of holes and spent a heap of time knocking putts in. It was really helpful for confidence, but let's see how it goes on the course.

It really does take a bad putt to miss from 4 feet. My record was 43 in a row, and the misses were because my mind was wandering.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200517/7785b7c48216a3b5a64e258f02fd262b.jpg

petethepilot
17th May 2020, 04:50 PM
Do you reckon you made a small groove there hitting putts from the same place Andy?

markTHEblake
17th May 2020, 07:46 PM
the green needs vacuuming

AndyP
17th May 2020, 10:00 PM
It needs more sand, as it is way too fast.

BUSHY
17th May 2020, 11:13 PM
It needs more sand, as it is way too fast.

Mine needs a reno as well. I’ve been wetting mine and giving it a brush with a firm bristled broom, I need the broom attachment for my Stihl.