PDA

View Full Version : Old topic... shipping from US

andylo
17th August 2004, 10:29 AM
Yeah... this topic again!! :oops:

Can we make it a sticker so people won't need to ask again.

The following is the concluded question I wanna ask:

A: Is USPS (US Postal Service) has less chance to pay taxes and duties compare to USP?

B: Can USPS do insured post?

C: Can USPS be traced (if they have tracing number and things like that)

Thanks

3oneday
17th August 2004, 10:36 AM
Andy,

a, yes
b, yes
c, yes :lol: :lol: :lol:

USPS if the person will mark it as a gift and reduce the price on the declaration to something around $100 US. It is also cheaper.
I can't comment on UPS as I have never used them and never would as their charges are too high to make it worthwhile.
USPS Global Express can be tracked.

Pete

AndyP
17th August 2004, 02:23 PM
Admin guys,

Why don't we get some info together on this and make it a new thread a sticky with all the useful stuff. You may recall another golf forum refused to make a sticky on the topic of shipping from the US.

I thought of doing something like this a while ago, but what would I know about this. It comes with hoing. :roll:

Here is some info that may or may not be handy.

Customs Info

What advice does Customs offer to people buying over the internet?

Customs advises people purchasing goods over the internet to be aware that when those goods arrive in Australia they will be subject to Customs controls.

In some cases this means:

duty and GST may be payable;

it may be a prohibited import and require a permit before it is allowed into the country; or

it may be a prohibited import and not allowed into the country under any circumstance and will be seized by Customs for destruction

Customs would not collect duty and/or GST where:

the value of the goods does not exceed $1000 for goods imported by post or $250 for goods imported air/sea cargo, other than by post; and
the Customs duty and/or GST liability of the goods does not exceed $50.
This concession does not apply to:

tobacco, tobacco products or alcoholic beverages;
goods imported by a passenger arriving in Australia from overseas;
goods imported by a member of the crew of a ship or aircraft arriving from overseas; or
goods forming part of a bulk order.
Most imported goods valued at or below the threshold amounts can be cleared on an Informal Clearance Document, although a formal Customs entry may also be used. If a formal entry is used, a Customs processing charge would apply.

If a courier or broker is used, they will charge for their services. Accordingly, they should be consulted beforehand to find out their costs and charges.

Customs Information Centres are available on 1300 363 263 throughout Australia and can answer queries about goods purchased over the internet or any other Customs matters.

Hackin Jim:
A couple of weeks ago I did the rounds of some eBay sellers to get shipping costs of stand bags to Sydney and here are the results:

3 Balls (ebay id is joeleighs) - as Heckler mentions above, $65US using USPS

WheatRoad Golf (wheatroadgolf)- $225US using USPS. I sent these guys an email questioning how expensive it was in comparison to everyone else but they just said thats the price. I've also asked for shipping quotes on clubs and they're also ridiculously expensive by comparison to others.

The Golf Warehouse (pgatourshop)- $112US using UPS worldwide express

UpandDown Golf (april-1st)- $57US using USPS

9g's (ggggggggg) - $50US using USPS

Also had a private seller (jsharris06) quote me $40US using USPS.

Miro67:
3balls $65 per set
Dallas Golf $65 pe set
9G's $75 per set

Ben:
Rock Bottom Golf will charge you $55 USD for a set of irons and $30USD for a single club. They come UPS Express and take approx 3 days. Best prices I've seen for that kind of service. Some component companies charge $50 for a head which is a total rip off...

Jarro
17th August 2004, 02:32 PM
What are you looking at buying Andylo??

goughy
17th August 2004, 04:22 PM
The reason isg wouldn't have put up a sticky regarding the subject is they would be seen as endorsing trying to avoid paying your legal customs payments when importing goods from os. It could have had legal ramifications for them.

It's the same reason why we won't do it here. The admin does not endorse such practices.

jaster
17th August 2004, 05:06 PM
The reason isg wouldn't have put up a sticky regarding the subject is they would be seen as endorsing trying to avoid paying your legal customs payments when importing goods from os. It could have had legal ramifications for them.

It's the same reason why we won't do it here. The admin does not endorse such practices.

Unfortunately it is what goughy said :(

AndyP
17th August 2004, 08:30 PM
Cant we just post the information, like the charges, etc to be expected :?:
We don't have to address the specific issue of customs avoidance. :?

macleod
24th August 2004, 10:02 AM
here's the excel calculator for you andy to see if you are going to bumb over the $50 combined tax/gst threshold.

just change the cell with the current usd$ rate.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/scottliddle/Customs.xls

download and use, as per the insutrction on sheet just bung in the base price and ship fee, cell goes red if your kicking over the $50 limit and you can see what the total cost might be if chraged the tax.

AndyP
24th August 2004, 11:18 AM
:?: Can anyone get this link to work?

CobraSS
24th August 2004, 12:31 PM
:?: Can anyone get this link to work?
nope :-k

macleod
29th August 2004, 08:07 AM
all fixed, cmon guys you just had to try the http equivalent ;)

AndyP
30th August 2004, 10:46 AM
all fixed, cmon guys you just had to try the http equivalent ;)
Why didn't you put that in the first place? :roll: :wink:

BrisVegas
8th December 2005, 09:12 AM
Just had a look at Scotts calculator. So, around US$220 is where the GST + Tariff cell changes from green to red.

Does it matter if stuff is new versus used? What about if they are declared as "gifts"?

The three clubs I've got to ship out are new, but if it helps I can have my mate hit some balls with them (prefer not to though!).

Any help for a newbie greatly appreciated. :? :)

BrisVegas
8th December 2005, 09:18 AM
If using USPS the value must stay under $500 Aussie ...

If using UPS or Fedex or DHL or whoever, and the amount exceeds $250 AUD, you will pay GST + their costs + Customs look fee....

Pete 8)

Thanks for the heads up Pete. I might be able to get the DHL shipping for free, but it might work out costing me more because the A$ value of the goods is over $250!!! Think I'll stick with USPS.

3oneday
8th December 2005, 09:21 AM
I assume these clubs are shipping to you ?? How they are shipped depends on when charges kick in.

About $175USD with UPS or a company like that (including shipping), about $350USD with USPS postal (including shipping).

Don't get them marked 2nd hand, they may spend longer in quarantine looking for dirt specs etc, marking as gift achieves stuff all, bottom line is the value marked, this is all the customs guys have to work on.

Pete

BrisVegas
8th December 2005, 10:12 AM
I assume these clubs are shipping to you ?? How they are shipped depends on when charges kick in.

About $175USD with UPS or a company like that (including shipping), about $350USD with USPS postal (including shipping).

Don't get them marked 2nd hand, they may spend longer in quarantine looking for dirt specs etc, marking as gift achieves stuff all, bottom line is the value marked, this is all the customs guys have to work on.

Pete

thanks Pete. Yeah, they are coming to me. I'll go with USPS then, as the value is US$280 ish, not including shipping.

Jono
8th December 2005, 12:26 PM
Good luck, Bris. It should work out fine but remember that Australian Customs can get very picky. I once had multiple items totalling about US$500 sent in separate packages. However, they came on the same shipment, so they counted the total value and I got taxed. :?

miro
8th December 2005, 12:30 PM
One last tip is drivers can be a problem with USPS as Aus Post won't accept boxes over 44 inches (i think that was the number).

Virgal_Tracy
8th December 2005, 12:52 PM
Grunt was telling me that Customs is lax at the moment because they are so far behind so aren't bothering if your costs are reasonable.

Get Grant to give you a more precise update.

BrisVegas
8th December 2005, 01:06 PM
One last tip is drivers can be a problem with USPS as Aus Post won't accept boxes over 44 inches (i think that was the number).

ahhh. The wedges should be in the new, separate, boxes. I'll get my friend to repack them into one. May have to "extend" the box a little to fit a 3 wood in as well... shouldnt be 44 inches, but would go close.

I can see why people would just buy the heads... :wink:

3oneday
8th December 2005, 02:46 PM
One last tip is drivers can be a problem with USPS as Aus Post won't accept boxes over 44 inches (i think that was the number).I received a full length driver USPS Global Express from thegolfhabit a month or so ago with no dramas. I think some guys in the US have trouble sending at times, but this guy ships drivers to here all the time.

Pete

Jarro
8th December 2005, 02:53 PM
another vote for thegolfhabit here .... i've also received drivers from them as well .... no probs 8)

3oneday
8th December 2005, 03:01 PM
another vote for thegolfhabit here .... i've also received drivers from them as well .... no probs  8)a tour sandy John ??? :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Jarro
8th December 2005, 03:11 PM
another vote for thegolfhabit here .... i've also received drivers from them as well .... no probs  8)a tour sandy John ??? :wink:

:lol:  :lol:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/aggressive.gif

miro
8th December 2005, 03:39 PM
Pete,

Agreed it is possible it was just a warning that once in a while drivers can be a problem.

Fishman Dan
8th December 2005, 08:31 PM
Why is this in "Golf Matters" again?

markTHEblake
11th December 2005, 07:52 AM
would be seen as endorsing trying to avoid paying your legal customs payments when importing goods from os.

I don't get that comment. If anybody rings up customs and asks them how to avoid paying duty they will tell you what you need to do. Just like the quote below from their website.

Customs would not collect duty and/or GST where:

the value of the goods does not exceed $1000 for goods imported by post or $250 for goods imported air/sea cargo, other than by post; and
the Customs duty and/or GST liability of the goods does not exceed $50.

Fishman Dan
11th December 2005, 08:52 AM
Mark - what about the comments about getting the sender to mark things cheaper than they actually are? I don't think that's on the customs website..

markTHEblake
11th December 2005, 09:19 AM
Mark - what about the comments about getting the sender to mark things cheaper than they actually are? I don't think that's on the customs website..

thats a good point but comments like that are an absolute waste of time for a couple of reasons;

1. Do people really need a big hint to actually do that?

2. Do people think that Customs are stupid?, i knew a bloke who worked there, he said they all know the value of *everything*, and they know *every* trick in the book - thats what they do.

Jim
12th December 2005, 08:11 AM

The reason ISG wouldn't put up a sticky is because they didn't want to alienate their advertisers. There is no duty payable on golf clubs and it is simply a matter of having a sticky advising that if you want to avoid paying GST you ship USPS and keep the value of you purchase (inc postage) below $A500. Over $A500 and you are still a good chance of not being pinged anyhow. It is sensible and helpful, not illegal, and to roughly quote Kerry Packer on tax "until they start spending it properly I'm not giving them anymore than I have to". There are no legal ramifications from telling users how the import and shipping system actually works. Getting things marked as gifts is a waste of time and in the case of golf clubs most likely a big red flag to customs. It is not worth using a seller that will do it.

You would also be doing unwitting forum members a great favour by telling them to avoid those rapacious, fee gouging mongrels at UPS.