PDA

View Full Version : Are you a club chucker ??????

Jarro
28th August 2006, 05:11 PM
C'mon, tell the truth :smt002

What do you do when it all seems to be going bad ..... nothing you try seems to work ... every shot just doesn't seem to go where you want ????

Personally, i don't chuck clubs ... i do slam them into the ground from time to time ... but i never throw them :mrgreen:

What do you do ?

miro
28th August 2006, 05:12 PM
No -of course not.

Jarro
28th August 2006, 05:14 PM
Please understand Miro, this thread was not created with you in mind ;)

Flowergirl
28th August 2006, 05:22 PM
I am ashamed to say that I am a club chucker.:oops: I used to be terrible - really embrassing - until I played with a girl who was a chucker. I thought she was pathetic - and saw myself through other's eyes. So now I don't - well ok only very rarely - and only if it really was justified.

Jarro
28th August 2006, 05:26 PM
That's OK Reenie, we still luv ya :mrgreen:

dc68
28th August 2006, 05:27 PM
We have a rule amongst a group of guys at Pacific that if you throw a club it costs you a shout. So if you are having a bad day ie You tee off and dont make the ladies tee, then have and airy make a mess of the hole and four putt for a 10 and then throw your putter it would cost you 5 rounds.......don't laugh I have seen it happen....then again laugh we all did all the way to the bar.

miro
28th August 2006, 05:29 PM
FG,

Same with me FG. We had an Ozgolf day where I threw the club more than I hit the ball. That was the highwater mark -no more. And in general my whole attitude has improved because I had a think about how that performance reflected on me.

The mirror is not always the kindest place to look.

Ducky
28th August 2006, 05:31 PM
Well, I use to throw them [clubs] as a youngster until one day I got one caught in a tree and had to get some assistance to get it down. I also came to the realisation of how selfish I was being by losing my temper in the company of other players who are trying to enjoy themselves.

Now I just get over it and try to prevent it from ruining my round, although, that is easier said than done. Club-throwing does have its advantages though, such as preventing frustration from building up. I would prefer to scream profanities, but once again, you need to respect the players around you.

Flowergirl
28th August 2006, 05:36 PM
True......I never thought that my temper would affect others - selfish I know - wearing the blinkers I suppose. Now I am aware on how much nicer it is to play with happy people than grumpy people:mrgreen:

Keza_G
28th August 2006, 05:39 PM
I am..... I throw them forward like a good club chucker so that I can kick it on my way to the next shot or to perhaps run it over with my cart....:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

McMw
28th August 2006, 06:00 PM
I stuck my 7 iron into the ground yesterday...

too much effort to throw the club, then go pick it up later...

AndyP
28th August 2006, 06:04 PM
I prefer to punch my playing partners in the face.

Jarro
28th August 2006, 06:06 PM
Do your best AndyP :twisted:

Ducky
28th August 2006, 06:26 PM
I prefer to punch my playing partners in the face.
You must leave quite an impression...

:p

Jarro
28th August 2006, 06:27 PM
You must leave an quite impression...

.. only on his hand :roll:

PeteyD
28th August 2006, 06:35 PM
Not that there is any weight behind them either.

goughy
28th August 2006, 07:20 PM
Never tho clubs. Can't afford to replace them if they break. Have slammed a club into the ground, maybe twice. But usually it's more than the bad golf causing that. As many of you have seen bad golf on it's own dosen't faze me too much. It usually needs something else to really get it going.

Old story from my days when dad was a member at TMBA Golf Club. One guy got so pissed he threw his entire bag into the dam on 16 after hitting into it like 3 times (my dad broke his record and all we could do was roll around on the ground laughing). He storms off. Before his partners have finished the hole he comes storming back and wades into the dam. Pulls out his bag. Gets his car keys, throws the bag back in and storms off again.

Top that Miro/FG!!!

BrisVegas
28th August 2006, 07:26 PM
not usually. I sometimes "toss" them back to my bag when I'm in bunkers. And I regularly "park" a misbehaving wedge in the ground while I collect my thoughts. I used to park my putter in the ground too, but since going to the anser style, they don't go in as easy. I don't appreciate it when people I play with do their 'nana and hurl clubs miles. It's rude, distracting and often dangerous.

AndyP
28th August 2006, 07:33 PM
Old story from my days when dad was a member at TMBA Golf Club. One guy got so pissed he threw his entire bag into the dam on 16 after hitting into it like 3 times (my dad broke his record and all we could do was roll around on the ground laughing). He storms off. Before his partners have finished the hole he comes storming back and wades into the dam. Pulls out his bag. Gets his car keys, throws the bag back in and storms off again.
Great urban myth that one.

AndyP
28th August 2006, 07:41 PM
I think it would be more interesting if other people told me what I do on the course when I am cracking the shits.

Ducky
28th August 2006, 07:49 PM
How does one differentiate between when you are 'cracking the shits' and being your usual self?

;)

goughy
28th August 2006, 07:55 PM
To further the story about my dad at the 16th at TMBA golf club. It was the final round of the club champs and he was in the final grouping of B Grade (the top 4 placed after 3 rounds). The guy in the lead was uncatchable, but dad started in second place. And he was still pretty much there until we hit the 16th. I was caddying for him.

Anyway he hits his tee shot into the dam. We wander down for his drop and he hits it into the dam. Then another. Maybe even another. We were both giggling after the second. By the last sunken one we (my dad and I) were in fits of laughter. He finally hit one over which went straight into the bunker. He was a great bunker player but took to to get out. (Quite seriously guys) We were rolling on the ground in laughter, but his playing partners were just miffed at our attitude. With 3 holes to play he blew it and all we could do was laugh.

How about trying that next time miro - or just punch someone in the face like andyp.

Courty
28th August 2006, 08:28 PM
How does one differentiate between when you are 'cracking the shits' and being your usual self?

;)

:lol:

I do Vegas's trick sometimes when I have bunker trouble, and sometimes bury a wedge in soft ground. But many times I when the ball isn't behaving, I have thrown it in the nearest lake/ water hazard. Next time you feel like breaking something, imagine yourself on the pitching mound and let rip with a 100mph+ fast ball. Very stress-relieving, and lighter on the wallet than damaging clubs. :)

AndyP
28th August 2006, 08:40 PM
And potentially damaging to the shoulders.

I certainly don't chuck clubs, but may flip them towards the bag from a few metres away, when I am extremely displeased with them.

Toolish
28th August 2006, 08:55 PM
Will toss a club out of the bunker, or jam it back into the bag after a bad shot...wedges get parked in soft ground, but it takes a lot of work to get all the dirt out of the cavity.

Driver often gets slammed into the ground after a wayward one...

Weird, because I am generally pretty level headed on course, don't get very excited by good shots, ask FG, she had a dig at me on Sunday for not getting excited!

shazza_rs
28th August 2006, 09:03 PM
Yep.....

Chuck my putter the most...... its only ever a lob though....

Driver gets slammed into the ground.

Have been known to 'park' a wedge on occasion. ;)

Ducky
28th August 2006, 09:05 PM
I don't know, Shazza, your swing video clearly shows your driver going for a ride...

shazza_rs
28th August 2006, 09:06 PM
nah..... that was a slam.....

ask kez for the uncut version..... definitiely a club slam

markTHEblake
28th August 2006, 09:58 PM
Goughy - I have heard that urban legend before - probably read it in a golf magazine. Are you trying to tell me that finally an urban legend has come true?

(if you try to tell me your mate has no kidneys, I'm throwing a golf club at you)

I'm quite happy to go on record as saying i have never thrown a club in my life. A few times i have placed my club in my bag, and somehow missed and by a freak occurrence the shaft just snapped - amazing.

Choppa
28th August 2006, 10:21 PM
I don't ever throw my clubs!

Although I have been known to lose my grip on it during my practice backswing following a poor shot.........gotta tighten that grip.

terryand
28th August 2006, 10:39 PM
Its my club and I can put it back in the bag as hard as I like :twisted:

Terry.

Moe Norman
28th August 2006, 10:47 PM
I've snapped a few putters and one driver over my knee.

never thrown a club in anger that I can recall.

never had someone do it in a group with me either, but if they did I'd give them an earful.

jimandr
28th August 2006, 10:52 PM
I don't throw clubs, and I can't recall ever doing so, even as a youngster. I occasionally throw mini-tantrums, but they usually only last until the next shot, if they last that long.

My lesson was learned a very long time ago, at age 14 or so, when playing a social round with my dad. I missed yet another putt, and literally picked up my bat and walked off the course. By the time I was half way to the car park I realised what a goose I was, and how rotten I had been to my father.

I decided that I had changed my mind, and wished to continue, but my dad said only one sentence to me, something like "you've made your choice, it's too late now", and didn't say another word to me all the way home. I suspect he was chuckling to himself all the time and wondering whether I'd learn from the experience.

I've seen plenty of major tantrums since then, and I've always said absolutely nothing to the thrower. Most of them realise what they've done and apologise before the end of the round.

I'm looking forward to Brad's contribution to this thread.

3oneday
28th August 2006, 10:52 PM
Only the crappy ones, otherwise it affects resale ;)

Trung
29th August 2006, 01:18 AM
Hahaa

andylo
29th August 2006, 08:59 AM
Used to be quite a club chucker.... then realise it might affect others so I just doing it on the range when practise...

When Christine start taking up golf she chuck clubs as well after a bad shot pretty much because she saw me doing it... :roll:

So now not a club chucker anymore.

PeteyD
29th August 2006, 09:02 AM
I tend to say Bugga a lot.

peter_rs
29th August 2006, 09:20 AM
I may crack the shits and abuse myself verbally and mental destory my game but I'm not a sadist I'm not going to hurt myself that is where my clubs are good friends and stand up for me and take the beating ;)

I have only thrown 2 clubs one a drive that hit a grave cart path due to a late release (something my swing was missing) destoried the head. The second was a putter that found its way to the next tee before me.

andylo
29th August 2006, 09:31 AM
Another thing is: I have this thinking believe that if I chuck club during the game that means I am confess that I am losing the game I am playing. So I usually unleash my temper after the game while on the way driving back home.

PeteyD
29th August 2006, 09:35 AM
That's worse you road rage lunatic ;) take it out on the little white ball.

AndyP
29th August 2006, 09:56 AM
You throw your clubs at the range, A-Lo? That's just sad.

Bruce
29th August 2006, 10:01 AM
I might 'dropped dramatically' occasionally which is technically a throw as the club was not touching either myself of the ground at one point. Never more than a meter or two.

Usually just a slam into the ground with some salty language. There are few saltier than I.

Bruce
29th August 2006, 10:05 AM

How do you get them back? Sounds dangerous.

andylo
29th August 2006, 10:14 AM
chucking is not necessary throwing.... I maybe just slam in on the ground :)

Its the pass... no more. :roll:

markTHEblake
29th August 2006, 10:46 AM

i threw one up into the pine trees at Horton Park (between the practice range and old 17th) when i was practicing, and it happened at night would you believe. No night range in those days, just the car park lights.

had to come back the next day (at 5.30am so nobody would see me) and climb the bugger, i used my bike to get a step up to the first branch.

Couldnt say accurately how high i had to climb, but i remember it was BLOODY high- like well over 1 storey. i absolutely crapped myself, but thought it was better than getting killed by dad.

senecio
29th August 2006, 12:18 PM
I was 11 when my Dad bought my first half set of clubs. Within 30 seconds of leaving the pro-shop he said something like:

"If I ever see you throw a club, I'll kick you up the Ar$e".

He often said things like that, and you could usually tell that he wasn't serious. This time his look told me he was serious.

I've never thrown a club. Funny how little things like that stick with you.

Ryan

goughy
30th August 2006, 06:53 AM
I may crack the shits and abuse myself verbally and mental destory my game but I'm not a sadist I'm not going to hurt myself that is where my clubs are good friends and stand up for me and take the beating ;)

I have only thrown 2 clubs one a drive that hit a grave cart path due to a late release (something my swing was missing) destoried the head. The second was a putter that found its way to the next tee before me.

How's the 5 iron going Pete???

shazza_rs
30th August 2006, 09:12 AM
that wasn't a throw goughy ;)

macleod
30th August 2006, 09:41 AM
andy lo, that's the laugh i needed here feelin' like crud...

throwing clubs at the driving range :lol: that's classic, i love it.

hope you didn't at Vic Park off the top tier.

connico
30th August 2006, 10:02 AM
...i dont throw clubs...

with the exception of the 2nd @ kooindah ...hehe

andylo
30th August 2006, 10:18 AM
andy lo, that's the laugh i needed here feelin' like crud...

throwing clubs at the driving range :lol: that's classic, i love it.

hope you didn't at Vic Park off the top tier.

You are welcome mate.

How are you lately?