PDA

View Full Version : BITB - That club(s) you re-discovered lying in the shed

thecollective
2nd April 2020, 08:16 PM
Ok, im bored sitting at my desk working 12 hour days, so please enlighten me;

Tell me your 'Back In The Bag' story; where a long lost club that was sitting around in your shed or carport, collecting dust was given another go and then became legend in your 14 (or 10 for those bloody hipsters) club bag.

For me it has been 3 clubs:

- Callaway X-Hot 3deep fairway: my new local golf club/course requires a number of worm burners off the tee to battle the tight and undulating fairways. Recently I gave the old $70 3deep a go and (first round) shot 76; a PB for me. Since then it has become legend and even when I attempted to purchase a replacement deep 3 wood it wasn't to be as both suppliers knocked back the order due to the current situation in China. Sometimes things happen for a reason....

- Vokey (Circa. 1999) Raw Wedges 52/8 & 58/8: my very first set of wedges that sat in my shed were re-discovered this very summer. Taking my old man's advice on removing rust I soaked them for days in cleaning vinegar, lemonade. bicarb and a dash of CLR clear only for them to completely strip everything away to a raw metallic piece of metal. When I finally decided to recently give them a go the spin was incredible, at the very expense of my golf ball cover. I do wonder if I have made these wedges illegal now as they seem to be putting scratches all over my golf ball. The performance though has been exemplary and (provided they are still legal) happy to keep them in the bag permanently. I have yet to play a scoring round with these clubs until I find an answer from a reputable source, so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Stuart
3rd April 2020, 07:12 AM
My understanding is that any Vokey made pre-2010 is non-conforming, but equally, you can still play them until 2024 for handicap rounds (unless you are planning to play in U.S. Open and U.S. Amateur qualifiers or similar).

https://www.usga.org/rules-hub/grooves/informational-club-database.html

https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Equipment/What-we-do/Conforming-Clubs-and-Balls/Club-Grooves (https://www.usga.org/rules-hub/grooves/informational-club-database.html)

AndyP
3rd April 2020, 09:01 AM
I had no idea that I was using a non-conforming wedge.

Johnny Canuck
3rd April 2020, 11:10 AM
I had no idea that I was using a non-conforming wedge.

I did, but thought they were done in 2021. I’ve got another 3 years!

Ferrins
3rd April 2020, 11:19 AM
Not a club but have added a rake.

AndyP
3rd April 2020, 11:30 AM
I did, but thought they were done in 2021. I’ve got another 3 years!
Maybe I did know in 2010 when the ruling was made, and forgot. It would be a shame to have to retire my 20 year old wedges.

Johnny Canuck
3rd April 2020, 11:44 AM
Maybe I did know in 2010 when the ruling was made, and forgot. It would be a shame to have to retire my 20 year old wedges.

Mine aren’t quite that old, but I’m more than happy to keep using them.

Dotty
3rd April 2020, 11:46 AM
Ping Eye 2+ BeCu LW - Bought 2nd hand in early 90's and soon snaffled by bro.
Made the occasional return visit, before a 'Are you using that …?' SMS.
I snaffled it back at Xmas 2018, and in my bag half the time, as so reliable out of bunkers, rough and hazards.
Often alongside a low-bounce LW (prefer 5 wedges than carry less than 14).
Currently bumped out by a Ping Eye 2 Gorge LW, which has the original Eye sole and also groove compliant.

Ping G20 Hybrid - Fugly, but effective.
Possibly coincidence, as it also spent a few years in my bro's bag and garage.

Ping Karsten TR B60 (with copper PVD coating).
**** coincidence. It's a trend.
Only got it back last November, by swapping for an identical BNIP replacement.

andylo
3rd April 2020, 11:55 AM
An Adam 4060 13* made it's way back to my bag since couple of years ago until a month ago, bumped out by a Baldo Competizione 568
A TM 200 Smoothie also made it back to my bag the same time until a week ago, bumped by a SIM 5 wood

jwags
3rd April 2020, 01:08 PM
I threw a Ping Anser 20* hybrid back in the bag. It has kicked a much newer Titleist 818H2 into the back up bag. I forgot how good fixed hosel Ping hybrids were.

thecollective
4th April 2020, 12:04 PM
Ping Eye 2+ BeCu LW - Bought 2nd hand in early 90's and soon snaffled by bro.
Made the occasional return visit, before a 'Are you using that …?' SMS.
I snaffled it back at Xmas 2018, and in my bag half the time, as so reliable out of bunkers, rough and hazards.
Often alongside a low-bounce LW (prefer 5 wedges than carry less than 14).
Currently bumped out by a Ping Eye 2 Gorge LW, which has the original Eye sole and also groove compliant.

Ping G20 Hybrid - Fugly, but effective.
Possibly coincidence, as it also spent a few years in my bro's bag and garage.

Ping Karsten TR B60 (with copper PVD coating).
**** coincidence. It's a trend.
Only got it back last November, by swapping for an identical BNIP replacement.

Vintage PING clubs have a habit of returning into bags. Particularly the putters (B60 & anser common models), Eye2 wedges and long irons

thecollective
4th April 2020, 12:16 PM
I threw a Ping Anser 20* hybrid back in the bag. It has kicked a much newer Titleist 818H2 into the back up bag. I forgot how good fixed hosel Ping hybrids were.

Jw: One of the best hybrids I own is a 22 deg G400 fixed hosel hybrid, its great in the winter when you need carry

TheNuclearOne
5th April 2020, 10:26 AM
An Adam 4060 13* made it's way back to my bag since couple of years ago until a month ago, bumped out by a Baldo Competizione 568

There's a blast from the past. I should shaft up the 13* 5050 and give it a blast.

thecollective
5th April 2020, 08:23 PM
With fairway woods, likely to be either Adams Tight Lies or Orlimar Hiptri Metal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hatchman
10th April 2020, 10:19 PM
Took the hefty UST Axivcore Tour Black out of the SLDR and put it in the Jetspeed for run around Strathalbyn today as I never tried it with my favourite shaft before. Forgot how under rated and good the Jetspeed was. Going to leave it in the bag for a bit and see how it goes over a few rounds. #Jetspeed4life

thecollective
11th April 2020, 10:42 AM
Took the hefty UST Axivcore Tour Black out of the SLDR and put it in the Jetspeed for run around Strathalbyn today as I never tried it with my favourite shaft before. Forgot how under rated and good the Jetspeed was. Going to leave it in the bag for a bit and see how it goes over a few rounds. #Jetspeed4life

Hatchy FWIW the M4 is based on an updated version of the Jetspeed and is now only $250 at GCO

Not suggesting you spend money but if you were looking for an updated Jetspeed this is the model you would pick

Hatchman
26th May 2020, 04:50 PM
Took the hefty UST Axivcore Tour Black out of the SLDR and put it in the Jetspeed for run around Strathalbyn today as I never tried it with my favorite shaft before. Forgot how under rated and good the Jetspeed was. Going to leave it in the bag for a bit and see how it goes over a few rounds. #Jetspeed4life

Took the Jetspeed on the South East Trip.
3 rounds + 9 holes and it went very well. This may stop the Cobra BioCell+ from getting back in the bag.

Planet Golf
27th May 2020, 10:42 AM
Agree with the PING call, I have gone back to a Ping Redwood Anser - the milled one. A black version of the Scotty Cameron at 1/3 of the price
Vintage PING clubs have a habit of returning into bags. Particularly the putters (B60 & anser common models), Eye2 wedges and long irons

thecollective
27th May 2020, 11:30 AM
Agree with the PING call, I have gone back to a Ping Redwood Anser - the milled one. A black version of the Scotty Cameron at 1/3 of the price

ive just put the Eye2 XG L Wedge BITB, so good out of the wet and muddy lies, same with bunkers

Planet Golf
27th May 2020, 11:39 AM
I recall Hunter Mahan playing those wedges when he was at the top of his game. Think confidence has completely deserted the poor lad.

Played in the final group of at least 2 majors, didn't choke, but just didn't go low and win. Fair player, but not long

ive just put the Eye2 XG L Wedge BITB, so good out of the wet and muddy lies, same with bunkers

Planet Golf
27th May 2020, 11:46 AM
Forgive me if this is a silly question

The original PING Eye2 BeCu irons, are they legal for Amateur comps? from memory PING recalled all sets, re-grooved them, and sent back to customers?
I think @MarkTHEBlake had a set years ago on this site

thecollective
27th May 2020, 12:33 PM
PG: legal provided they have a + in the cavity

My XG's are the re-release of the eye 2 wedges that came out around 2012, purchased them off 3balls back in the day when the dollar was parity (or close to it)

Dotty
27th May 2020, 12:38 PM
Ditto, with an Eye 2 Gorge Lob wedge.

Very different sole to the Eye 2+, in that its has small indent, like the original PM grind or Callaway U-grind.

Planet Golf
27th May 2020, 01:28 PM
So PING added the "+" sign on the Eye2s when they took them back, amended them, and posted back to customers?

PG: legal provided they have a + in the cavity

My XG's are the re-release of the eye 2 wedges that came out around 2012, purchased them off 3balls back in the day when the dollar was parity (or close to it)

Daves
27th May 2020, 02:01 PM
From the Horse's mouth.

Note that USGA has different approvals to the R & A on Grooves. We are under R & A rules coverage;

https://ping.com/en-us/legal/groove-rule

Hatchman
28th May 2020, 08:16 AM
So PING added the "+" sign on the Eye2s when they took them back, amended them, and posted back to customers?

My understanding the + was a modification to the existing or a new cast mold to denote a cut off and change point in grooves.
Talking with a guy during a round that had a beautiful full set of BeCu irons from 1 to wedges that were not the + models sent his back for legal re-grooving. They did not have a plus marked into the head but did receive a certificate of conformance from Ping which he carries a copy of in his Golf bag.