PDA

View Full Version : New TV Time

wazamac
23rd March 2020, 06:21 PM
Looking at 65".
What to get?

BobsYourUncle
23rd March 2020, 08:11 PM
Last time I was in the market, hisense was the best value, LG OLED was the best picture. That was a while ago though. How picky are you on sound/picture quality? Kogan Tv's are cheap and not bad (I have a couple at the office for mettings, videoconferencing, etc.)

benno_r
23rd March 2020, 08:15 PM
Depends on your price.

Sony run the best OLED's, but are big bucks.

Samsung top shelf qled are the best led but pricey.

I went with the Sony x9000f. What won it for me was the Sony's image processing, and the array backlighting minimises the white light ghosting. For me, any LED with array backlighting is a good bet.

goughy
23rd March 2020, 08:18 PM
We got our daughter a Kogan smart tv for Xmas for her room. It does the job, and she thinks it's great, but it's not a patch on our lg tv. I actually don't think the picture is as good as our 11 year old of tv. But for it's price it's fantastic. Our last two tv's have been lg and we've been really happy with them.

Johnny Canuck
24th March 2020, 12:00 AM
Hisense are very good value. Warranty beats most and its in home as well.

wazamac
24th March 2020, 08:19 AM
Looking to keep under $2k. 65" is the largest I will need.
Sony this week had a 65" for $1300
Samsung are in run out mode for the new models coming very soon. Definitley want 200Hz or more.
I noticed Samsung had a gaming mode for the boys and their online Call of Duty thingy.
My youngest son worked at good guys out the back and said that the most returned TV was Samsung QLED. That was maybe when they first entered the market.
Have heard Hisence and TCL are trying to hit the Aussie market hard with good TV's at good prices.

benno_r
24th March 2020, 08:54 AM
Looking to keep under $2k. 65" is the largest I will need.
Sony this week had a 65" for $1300
Samsung are in run out mode for the new models coming very soon. Definitley want 200Hz or more.
I noticed Samsung had a gaming mode for the boys and their online Call of Duty thingy.
My youngest son worked at good guys out the back and said that the most returned TV was Samsung QLED. That was maybe when they first entered the market.
Have heard Hisence and TCL are trying to hit the Aussie market hard with good TV's at good prices.This is what I would recommend if you could stretch the budget a bit:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/sony-x9500g-65-4k-ultra-hd-smart-led-tv

In the Hisense range, this has local array dimming, would be a decent option:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/hisense-65r8-series-8-65-4k-uhd-smart-led-tv

wazamac
14th April 2020, 08:41 AM
Thanks Benno.

Went with the Sony X95 and Sony soundbar to go with it.
Tad better than my 48" LG 14 year old LCD thingy.

thecollective
3rd May 2020, 11:27 PM
Bump

How has your Sony been traveling Waz?

My 9 year old Samsung decided to flicker on and off continuously tonight. Likely to be the power supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wazamac
4th May 2020, 07:51 AM
Brilliant. Loving it.
Just need to make sure you have a decent soundbar. For all the work they do on the vision, they forgot about sound.

goughy
4th May 2020, 09:50 AM
Hard to get good sound out of speakers facing backwards with no room for a decent box around them. Soundbars seem to be doing a good job of fixing that, without having to spend a fortune. I'm still a fan of having the left and right a bit more seperated than a soundbar can provide, on the outside of the tv. Saying that, I hope I inherit my in-laws yammy ysp-5600 soundbar for my front room one day.

Timbo
25th June 2020, 05:52 PM
I’m sending my Sony 75” 8500g TV back to Harvey Norman after having issues for a few months. I can swap it for a Samsung 75” Q60T or the Hisense 75” Q8 (there is no Sony stock).*

Can anybody recommend one over the other?

* - I can also get a refund, then buy something elsewhere.

wazamac
25th June 2020, 06:05 PM
When I was looking, it was a tossup between Samsung and the Sony. Hisense have picked there game up trying to win the market.
Just out of curiosity, are the Samsung and Hisense advertised about the same price? Interested in their cost price and markups considering they are offering those as a replacement.

Timbo
25th June 2020, 06:16 PM
I think i paid $2795 for the Sony.

The Hisense has been reduced to $2970 and the Samsung is $2895. With 4 months of being stuffed around, I will try and hit them up for a straight changeover, or get a refund.

WBennett
25th June 2020, 10:31 PM
If you have an issue with HiSense, they will replace immediately.

My in-laws 55 incher developed an issue at 23 months. They contacted HiSense thru the local dealer and walked out with a 75 inch tv 15 minutes later.

Steve57
26th June 2020, 07:09 AM
I have had a Hisense TV for around 3 years now and it has not missed a beat.

thecollective
26th June 2020, 07:53 AM
Purchased the Kogan QLED, looks to be an identical tv to the TCL range.

Was on a budget as just recently had to fork out 3.5k on a new transmission for the Honda

Arrives today, see how it fares. Reviews show it is of equal quality to any of the entry level / budget tvs

PerryGroves
27th July 2021, 06:35 PM
Looking for an update on this, assuming there is any.

I haven't bought a TV in 10 years, even then a mate bought it for me. Have been renting a place with a Smart TV for a while, so:

- I'm after a Smart TV (assuming not all are smart), that is, I can get all the streaming apps and iView, 7mate and the other free to air offerings, youtube etc
- I watch mainly sport, so I guess I need HD, not a massive room so will be sitting 2-3m from the screen
- maybe prefer to go cheap first, if its not fit for purpose, I can put it in one of the bedrooms and go again for the lounge.
- won't be going to Harvey Norman

Cheers

Pickles
28th July 2021, 06:48 AM
Bought a big boy 65 or 75" hisense about a year ago and can't really fault it. It was a great price compared to some of the top brands. I'm guessing you're probably sacrificing some picture quality but my untrained eye couldn't care less. Picture quality seems fine to me.

AndyP
28th July 2021, 07:25 AM
It probably depends on your budget, PG. I just had a quick look at Choice, and they seem to recommend a heap of LG models. Multiple Hisense models were not recommended, but there was a cheap one that did get the tick from Choice.
Hisense 58S5 Review | TV | CHOICE (https://www.choice.com.au/products/electronics-and-technology/home-entertainment/tvs-and-projectors/hisense-58s5)
It might be worth paying for one month of Choice to have a look through their reviews.

Scottt
28th July 2021, 08:25 AM
- won't be going to Harvey Norman I f***ing LOVE this energy. My wife and I bought a new fridge last weekend. We paid $50 more to not buy it from Harvey Norman.

AndyP
28th July 2021, 08:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCmx8wlhB1M

Johnny Canuck
28th July 2021, 09:41 AM
Bought a big boy 65 or 75" hisense about a year ago and can't really fault it. It was a great price compared to some of the top brands. I'm guessing you're probably sacrificing some picture quality but my untrained eye couldn't care less. Picture quality seems fine to me.

I too went Hisense a few years ago and it’s been great. Not sure if they still offer it, but 3 year in home warranty was a much better than the others.

I buy all my stuff from JB Hi-Fi. They’ll price match/beat pretty much anything as long as they aren’t losing money on the deal and the service has always been great.

Sydney Hacker
28th July 2021, 09:58 AM
I f***ing LOVE this energy. My wife and I bought a new fridge last weekend. We paid $50 more to not buy it from Harvey Norman.Same here, more chance of me throwing money into the street then spending it at that pricks stores!

3Puttpete
28th July 2021, 10:01 AM
I too went Hisense a few years ago and it’s been great. Not sure if they still offer it, but 3 year in home warranty was a much better than the others.

I buy all my stuff from JB Hi-Fi. They’ll price match/beat pretty much anything as long as they aren’t losing money on the deal and the service has always been great.

I got one a couple of month ago, warranty is still there.

The only problem with it is the apparent difficulty getting all of the streaming apps on it. Google or Apple tv solves that problem though.

PerryGroves
28th July 2021, 11:45 AM
Cheers gents,

Pickles, I'm as you described, not good enough to spot the picture quality difference. I was leaning towards Hisense, so this one looks like the go. 3PP, am a bit (read very) worried about my abilities in getting the apps loaded but I have a number of nerd mates who are sitting around on their Sydney couches for at least another month.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/hisense-a7g-65-4k-uhd-led-smart-tv-2021

PerryGroves
28th July 2021, 12:06 PM

Price was $1295, another mob had it for $1150, JB matched the price, all good :D

Johnny Canuck
28th July 2021, 01:08 PM
Price was $1295, another mob had it for $1150, JB matched the price, all good :D

Excellent!

goughy
28th July 2021, 01:18 PM
Our last two tv's have been LG's and they've both been great.

thecollective
28th July 2021, 07:38 PM
I purchased a Kogan, it has not missed a beat, picture quality as good as my Samsung.

That is all I will be buying from now on

goughy
30th July 2021, 10:54 AM
We bought a Kogan for our daughter. Picture is bloody awful, but she doesn't care. I'm sure there are different levels of Kogan tv's too. Hers wouldn't be that high. My inlaws had one too, granted that was probably 5 or 6 years ago and it was awful too.

thecollective
30th July 2021, 11:50 AM
Goughy: I purchased one of the higher level models, with the 4k resolution. 2k cheaper than the branded equivalent. Perhaps its just me as im not particularly fussy with televisions

BobsYourUncle
30th July 2021, 06:09 PM
We've got Kogan 42 4k TVs at our office that are fine for general use, although I don't look at much other than spreadsheets and powerpoints on them. Have watched a bit of streaming sport on them.

We've also tried Kogan monitors. Some 24" ones were crap, but I've got a higher res 32" model that's really good, so there's definitely variation between models.

Hisense and TCL make good, cheaper TVs.

goughy
2nd August 2021, 01:42 PM
Goughy: I purchased one of the higher level models, with the 4k resolution. 2k cheaper than the branded equivalent. Perhaps its just me as im not particularly fussy with televisions

When we bought our last tv we were in HN arguing - I wanted to get the 60", she was insisting on spending the extra for a 65". Topsy turvy, I know.

markTHEblake
2nd August 2021, 03:00 PM
Same here, more chance of me throwing money into the street then spending it at that pricks stores! Whats with all the angst for Harvey Norman?

Johnny Canuck
2nd August 2021, 03:17 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/feb/26/harvey-norman-to-keep-22m-in-jobkeeper-despite-profits-doubling-to-462m-in-pandemic

Daves
5th August 2021, 09:46 AM
For those in the market, I see Costco has a 70" Hisense 4K LED for $779.

https://files.ozbargain.com.au/upload/212981/90487/20210803_130531.jpg

WBennett
5th August 2021, 02:27 PM
Whats with all the angst for Harvey Norman?

Gerry Harvey is the reason you pay GST on personal imports.

PerryGroves
22nd August 2021, 09:07 AM
I got one a couple of month ago, warranty is still there.

The only problem with it is the apparent difficulty getting all of the streaming apps on it. Google or Apple tv solves that problem though.

Mick, should have taken more notice of this, I had a Samsung at my other place and it was simple to add any app. I haven't used Apple TV in years but have just found it amongst the post moving mess. Any tips that helped you?

3Puttpete
22nd August 2021, 10:51 AM
Mick, should have taken more notice of this, I had a Samsung at my other place and it was simple to add any app. I haven't used Apple TV in years but have just found it amongst the post moving mess. Any tips that helped you?

Nothing special mate. I have a chromecast with google tv. Add whatever apps you need and away you go.

Although you can put some apps directly onto the tv I reckon it’s a little more convenient to have everything in one spot. All in Apple TV in your case.

Ron Burgundy
22nd August 2021, 11:59 AM
I use Apple TV with my hisense and don’t bother with the inbuilt apps on the tv at all. As Mick said, it’s easier to just have them all in the one place. Downloading and using the apps on there is a piece of piss. FWIW I use Kayo, Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV+, you tube and all the streaming apps of the FTA channels.

If the Apple TV you found in the moving box is old maybe buy a newer one if the AV quality matters to you because the newer versions will better support better picture and sound quality.

PerryGroves
22nd August 2021, 01:26 PM
Cheers lads, not my strong suit this stuff.

virge666
23rd August 2021, 11:42 AM
The Green Knight - goes at a glacial pace, and I mean millennial glacial pace - but armed with a remote control, did not hate it
No sudden move - excellent film, 100% recommend

anyone else watching the news reader on ABC on Sunday? rather enjoying it - reminds me of newsroom from the US which was spectacular.

I have a $2000 LG 4K TV with the magic remote - the magic remote died after 14 months, and even replacement of parts still does not facilitate this being fixed.
My family has those Kogan android televisions - and I think this will be my next purchase.

Hatchman
15th December 2021, 09:58 PM
I find myself in here as the 55” Sony I’ve liked watching for the last 2yrs goes away tomorrow along with many other house hold items.
The small monitor size TV I’ll be left with just won’t cut for more than a few weeks so I’m forced to get something new.
I have no idea what I really want but don’t want to pay more than 12-$1400 as I need to get a PVR as well. I currently have a Telstra Tbox that gives me Netflix and has many others apps I don’t use.
Any suggestions as I have no idea what the 4KUHD, QLED, LED tech in TVs is or does?

Hatchman
23rd December 2021, 02:02 PM
I'm leaning a bit towards a Hisense 55" U8G 4K ULED Smart TV for $1195.
Sadly the Good Guys Commercial acct price (company partner deal for all workers) on this one is the same as normal in store price. I get $80 off the PVR.
Hisense give 3 years warranty on their TV's where I'm only seeing 1 year on the other makes.

Any thoughts?

3Puttpete
23rd December 2021, 02:24 PM
Sadly the Good Guys Commercial acct price (company partner deal for all workers) on this one is the same as normal in store price. I get $80 off the PVR.
Hisense give 3 years warranty on their TV's where I'm only seeing 1 year on the other makes.

Any thoughts?

I’m 8 or 9 months into the Hisense adventure with no concerns.

LeftyHoges
23rd December 2021, 03:16 PM

Any thoughts?

Just make sure of where your nearest Hisense repair point is. If you buy one and it does shit itself, they have to send it somewhere, and the Harvey Norman I spoke to in Cairns said HN won't send it for you...

You should be fine in Adelaide though, as opposed to up here.

Steve57
23rd December 2021, 04:50 PM

Any thoughts?

My mother in law had a Hisense replaced under warranty in Port Macquarie.
They picked it up and delivered the new one (a larger model as they didn't make the original any longer) without a problem.
It was a few years ago now but from memory it was all done through HN.

We also have a Hisense 49" model and have had no problem whatsover, nearly 3 years old now.

Daves
23rd December 2021, 05:47 PM

Any thoughts?

Hisense get pretty good reviews these days. We recently bought a Hisense 50" LED (A7G) for our Holiday Rental that was a pretty good deal.

The 3 year written warranty is a selling point, but in reality you should be covered for any TV for more than a year under Australian Consumer Law; Consumer Guarantees:

https://consumer.gov.au/sites/consumer/files/2016/05/0553FT_ACL-guides_Guarantees_web.pdf

You might have to argue the point, but persistence should pay off on any reasonable claims. And the remedies tend to favour the Consumers (replace or repair).

Some years ago when TV shopping we were told this story about TV Warranties by an insider; When Samsung entered the market, they made it clear they wanted dominance Internationally of the TV market (and other categories as well) Part of their offer, like Hisense, was an industry leading warranty, and from experience they backed that warranty to the hilt. But their sales didn't seem to be reflecting their positioning. So they polled the Retailers' staff and discovered that the staff didn't recommend Samsung because they got less or no commissions for upselling extended warranties on Samsung vs the competition. So Samsung changed their warranty to one year, like the rest of the Manufacturers.

Ironically, warranties used to be even longer. We bought an early 50" Plasma TV in the mid noughties that came with a 5 year replacement warranty (Pioneer). Sadly they no longer make TVs! Being the best is no guarantee of success in the modern retail world.

LG seemed to have a pretty strong reputation the TV space. We have a 75" UHD LG that is pretty impressive for the price (sub $1500 on clearance).

thecollective
24th December 2021, 12:18 AM
Go Kogan, cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hatchman
24th December 2021, 12:24 PM
Go Kogan, cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I considered it but I can't go down the road to pick it up.
Having to coordinate being home for a delivery from interstate just doesn't work as I'm not prepared to take any time off than what I really need atm. Waiting for a TV that may or may not arrive doesn't sit well with me.

Johnny Canuck
25th December 2021, 10:46 PM
Hatchy,

I've had a Hisense for 3 years now with zero issues. I'm pretty sure the warranty is in home, as others have said.

As for the price being the same as your discount, everything is negotiable nowadays. I buy most of my electronics through JB Hi fi and they'll always negotiate a better price than what is on the label, or price match, as long as it doesn't go below cost.

Hatchman
29th December 2021, 08:04 PM
I ended up getting the Hisense 55U8G screen and Panasonic PVR.
I’m a lot more happy with the TV than the PVR. I’m having trouble getting used to the Guide on the PVR v the Topfield that I really liked how simple it was. The other really annoying issue with the Panasonic PVR is I also have a 2-3yr old Panasonic Blue Ray player that has a built in Hard Drive for recording. It took me 2 days to work out that when I was using the remote on the PVR it was controlling the Blue Ray at the same time. Once I realised what was happening I compared the PVR and Blue Ray player remotes and they are exactly identical. I’ve turned the Blue Ray off at the Power Point for now until I can find out if there’s a work around for this.

goughy
30th December 2021, 08:13 AM
With regards to warranties, don't forget about the australian consumer guarantee that supersedes any written warranty.

My daughter has a Kogan TV; wasn't super expensive but is an android smart TV. She doesn't realise how bad the picture is so for her it's great. But it's awful. My fil had one a few years ago too and it was just as crap.