PDA

View Full Version : How close are the world rankings!!!

goughy
17th August 2004, 06:11 AM
Tiger 11.93
VJ 11.83
Els 11.38 (ish)

He's hanging on by his pinky.

nick
17th August 2004, 08:27 AM
Hes gonna lose it in a week, I almost guarentee it.

Nick

Fishman Dan
17th August 2004, 08:45 AM
Hes gonna lose it in a week, I almost guarentee it.

"Almost"? Gutsy call :lol:

burger
17th August 2004, 09:13 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong here . . .

Golf rankings are based upon two years form, thus tiger No 1 cos 2 years ago he was "the man".
So I would ask why are rankings based over 2 years? surely a year by year system is a more accurate representation.
I mean Tiger has been playing REALLY average this year, yet is still No 1???? :shock:
to quote a famous QLDer "Please Explain???"[/b]

Fishman Dan
17th August 2004, 09:23 AM
I was thinking like the tennis rankings, which has changed to the 'Champions Race'. But i got to thinking and i don't believe it's appropriate, but perhaps that's just because i am used to how it's currently run. How would it be rated? Money earnings?

I'm with you though, i think he's a long way off being able to claim he's currently the worlds best out there, with Els, Vijay and Mickelson all having much stronger claims.

Then again, the current system kept Greg Norman at #1 for a long time too..

McMw
17th August 2004, 09:36 AM
One of the magz in the US keeps a different ranking system for their publications...very much based on the modified tennis (mens) ranking...

they had Vj as #1 three-quarters into the season LAST YEAR!!!

markTHEblake
17th August 2004, 11:13 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong here . . .[/b]

Yep, your wrong :-) The points are 'rolling'. The points updated weekly are reduced every 3mths by 1/8th, thus 100 points earned this month are worth 50 points in one year, 25 points in 18 mths and so on.

The impact of Tigers wins 18 odd months ago, have only a minor impact on the rankings now.

Tiger Woods is still up there, because he keeps playing well - he just isnt winning. a damn good record nonetheless . Other reasons in his favour, he plays less tournaments, and bettter tournaments, with higher ranking points available. In fact by virtue of playing in the tournament the ranking points are increased.

2 years is a perfect time period for a ranking system. As we know in golf anyone can have a short dream run, but over the extended period its the cream that will always rise to the top.

Golfgirl
17th August 2004, 03:01 PM
2 years is a perfect time period for a ranking system. As we know in golf anyone can have a short dream run, but over the extended period its the cream that will always rise to the top.

I totally agree - and the fact that Els and Singh are now so close, is more to do with their extended period of good form over the past two years, than it is with their recent "towelling" of #1 Woods.

McMw
17th August 2004, 04:13 PM
It's the NEC this weekend right???

Wonder if they'll group all three for the first couple of rounds!!! :lol:

OR...it could come down to the Players Championship...that would be Tim Finchem's DREAM COME TRUE!!! :roll:

Jarro
17th August 2004, 04:18 PM
Tiger 11.93
VJ 11.83
Els 11.38 (ish)

How far behind these guys is Mickleson :?:

goughy
17th August 2004, 05:13 PM
I think phil was on 8.something points. Far enough to not be a factor at the moment. His performances last year weren't his best. But watch his ranking climb over the next year.

jaster
17th August 2004, 05:57 PM
It's the NEC this weekend right???

Wonder if they'll group all three for the first couple of rounds!!! :lol:

OR...it could come down to the Players Championship...that would be Tim Finchem's DREAM COME TRUE!!! :roll:

TOUR Championship you mean?

McMw
17th August 2004, 06:12 PM
cheers... :D

jaster
17th August 2004, 06:15 PM
cheers... :D

No probs ;) :lol: