PDA

View Full Version : SA: March Round Willunga Sun 29th 8:30am

Hatchman
24th February 2020, 06:23 PM
March round now confirmed as Willunga Sunday March 29th.
Booking made under Oz Golf.

Update with confirmed

1. Hatch
2. Nadg
3. Hardpan
4. Marcel
5. Wazamac
6. Thecollective
7. BYU

wazamac
24th February 2020, 07:15 PM
Don't care as long as it is not an afternoon game. :lol:

Haven't played Strath, Willunga or Clare before.

Hatchman
24th February 2020, 10:19 PM
21st/22nd March is no good for me, family commitments.

wazamac
24th February 2020, 10:59 PM
I'm ok whatever date

thecollective
25th February 2020, 09:10 AM
Sorry guys I am now being sent to Hobart for two weeks to help sort out our company's 'bursting at the seams' dilemma

I am now completely out for March

Hard_Pan
25th February 2020, 11:12 AM
Last weekend in March is the only date that works for me.

I'm playing Sandy Creek Sunday 1 March for pennants. I can tell you what condition it's in if you want to consider playing there.

DMG
25th February 2020, 11:17 AM
I'm keen. With plenty of notice I think I could do any Sunday morning in March (depending on chosen location).

Course... I have zero clue! I'll go with whatever is decided. :)

Wenz
25th February 2020, 12:36 PM
Last weekend in March is the only date that works for me.

I'm playing Sandy Creek Sunday 1 March for pennants. I can tell you what condition it's in if you want to consider playing there.

Ordinary, greens and surrounds perfect but everything else not so great. Club is not doing well financially.

thecollective
25th February 2020, 02:02 PM
Ordinary, greens and surrounds perfect but everything else not so great. Club is not doing well financially.

Hubris; born of success business model alive and well at good ol' Sandy.

To state two years ago they were, quote verbatim; 'the best course in the North' was absolute nonsense.

Hard_Pan
25th February 2020, 03:08 PM
We played them at home on Sunday and the rumour was they hired a greens keeper with bogus qualifications and he killed everything, then the pumps packed up and their pro left under questionable circumstances. Now they're left with no funds to fix anything. That said, they say that the fairways are good at the moment with recent rains they've had up there and the greens are really good. We'll see.

thecollective
25th February 2020, 03:46 PM
Green surface has always been pretty good at Sandy although I despise most of the shapes and designs. Besides holes 7,8,11 (old layout) I find the experience pretty ordinary on what is exceptional land for a golf course

Hatchman
25th February 2020, 04:48 PM
I wont say much more than I'm not surprised that Sandy Creek is struggling with what I know regarding some people that got themselves into committee positions. I'll leave it at that.

Enough discussion on Sandy Creek. That's out of the equation.

I'll put these here to refresh everyone's memory.

Here's a few for possible consideration.

Out North:
Barrosa
Kapunda
Clare

Down South and Southish:
Willunga (not sure how busy this gets on Sundays)
Murray Bridge
Strathalbyn

nadg63
25th February 2020, 05:28 PM
Here's a few for possible consideration.

Out North:
Barrosa
Kapunda
Clare

Down South and Southish:
Willunga (not sure how busy this gets on Sundays)
Murray Bridge
Strathalbyn

Willunga does tend to be fairly busy on a Sunday morning, Strathalbyn is still in my bad books following the last time we visited there - when they would not let us tee off in front of whatever it was happening later that morning! Many many years since I have been to Murray Bridge, and then only the once, wasn't bad from memory!?

Have played Barossa and Kapunda, not been to Clare.

Hatchman
25th February 2020, 05:55 PM
Clare may not be so great for you Nadg63 as it's close to Blackwood with a mix of hills and flat holes.

I've just had a look on Willunga's site and the Booking sheet. There's hardly any spots filled on the few Sundays I had a look at so unless it fills really fast close to the day it doesn't look like its busy like a lot of us remember it used to be. Having a play around it looks like you cant book on line more then 4 weeks out too.

thecollective
25th February 2020, 07:00 PM
Willunga is fine if you tee off really early, my bro and I had no problems when we played many years ago at an early time

Obviously the course was booming though when we left

BobsYourUncle
25th February 2020, 07:06 PM
I'm probably out for this one... only chance I could make it is if it was close to me to keep the travel time down. Any interest in North Adelaide? With enough notice we could get on there first thing in the morning on a Sunday.

Benje
25th February 2020, 09:21 PM
Murray Bridge is lovely in late autumn/winter.
A little warmer and less chance of rain, just don't plaay too early when it can be fresh.

I haven't been for perhaps 8 years.

nadg63
26th February 2020, 07:19 PM
Clare may not be so great for you Nadg63 as it's close to Blackwood with a mix of hills and flat holes.

I've just had a look on Willunga's site and the Booking sheet. There's hardly any spots filled on the few Sundays I had a look at so unless it fills really fast close to the day it doesn't look like its busy like a lot of us remember it used to be. Having a play around it looks like you cant book on line more then 4 weeks out too.

I'll sit back and see what gets decided then, don't not go to Clare because of me though!

Flavzz
26th February 2020, 11:57 PM
Personally I quite like Willunga if the duck shit is less than 10kg/m^2. My vote is there and I'm free most weekends in March.

wazamac
28th February 2020, 06:20 PM
29th the preferred date for this?

Hatchman
28th February 2020, 07:08 PM
It's looking like it might be.

Shortening list to between Kapunda, Willunga and Murray Bridge.

Hard_Pan
1st March 2020, 04:41 PM
Not to suggest we play there but Sandy Creek was alright today I thought. Greens were good as expected but fairways are showing signs of stress.

Haven't played Willunga in many, many years. My vote is for there simply for that reason.

wazamac
2nd March 2020, 09:53 AM
Happy with Willunga if we can get a decent time and the Northern lads wish to travel again.

Hatchman
4th March 2020, 09:28 AM
It looks like Willunga is firming as the favored option for this month.
Before I lock it in for that date I'll check with the Pro Shop if we can make a tentative booking for a couple of groups on Sun March 29.
Looking at the online booking system it only goes out 2 weeks and payment for the round has to be made at the time of booking. The issues with using the online system on a course that many say can get busy, is getting everyone to book around the same time so randoms don't take any free spots. The other issue is with paying for all 4 spots, chasing people for payment and worse chasing the club for a refund if someone changes their mind.

Coopers Country
4th March 2020, 05:21 PM
I have to get a refund off Blackwood the fool in the pro shop charged me twice

Flavzz
10th March 2020, 05:53 PM
Any further thoughts on this? If it's too hard let's look at another venue?

Hatchman
10th March 2020, 08:18 PM
I'll make that call some time in the next day or two then update this thread.

Hatchman
13th March 2020, 05:00 PM
Just top give everyone an update on this possible round at Willunga?
I called the Pro Shop today to see about getting a booking for 2 groups on the Sunday morning.
Was told nothing can bee booked until tomorrow as the booking system only opens up 2 weeks ahead of date.
Bit restrictive if your were a large group planing stuff out for a year but any way that's there system so I give them a call tomorrow and update this thread after.

nadg63
13th March 2020, 07:21 PM
Just top give everyone an update on this possible round at Willunga?
I called the Pro Shop today to see about getting a booking for 2 groups on the Sunday morning.
Was told nothing can bee booked until tomorrow as the booking system only opens up 2 weeks ahead of date.
Bit restrictive if your were a large group planing stuff out for a year but any way that's there system so I give them a call tomorrow and update this thread after.

They've always been a bit of a pain re bookings - not been there for years!

BobsYourUncle
13th March 2020, 07:39 PM
Just confirming that I can't make this one.

Flavzz
14th March 2020, 09:21 AM
Good work Hatch, I'll be in if it's early.

Hatchman
14th March 2020, 10:22 AM
Ok. Calls been made this morning, lock Willunga in now at 8:30am for 2 groups.

1. Hatch
2. Flavzz

nadg63
14th March 2020, 12:33 PM
As it is so close I really ought to - so add me to the list Hatchy.

Flavzz
14th March 2020, 12:52 PM
As it is so close I really ought to - so add me to the list Hatchy. That's as close to an enthusiastic yes as you will get from Nadge.

nadg63
14th March 2020, 01:13 PM
That's as close to an enthusiastic yes as you will get from Nadge.

Haha :shock: :lol:

Hard_Pan
14th March 2020, 01:27 PM
I'm in.

marcel
14th March 2020, 02:36 PM
As it is so close I really ought to - so add me to the list Hatchy.

If the Badger can be bothered then so can I, add me please

wazamac
14th March 2020, 03:55 PM
Yes

Hatchman
14th March 2020, 06:03 PM
Update with confirmed

1. Hatch
2. Flavzz
3. Nadg
4. Hardpan
5. Marcel
6. Wazamac

DMG
16th March 2020, 09:46 PM
In. :)

Hatchman
17th March 2020, 07:56 AM
1. Hatch
2. Flavzz
3. Nadg
4. Hardpan
5. Marcel
6. Wazamac
7. DMG

thecollective
22nd March 2020, 06:10 PM
8. TC*

*pencil; happy to give up the spot for a permanent, pending agreement with wife over 'selfish' short trip to Victor

nadg63
22nd March 2020, 07:07 PM
Tried talking JasonB in to making an appearance but to no avail! (he ventured out for a hit with Flavzz and myself at Thaxted this morning)

wazamac
23rd March 2020, 07:32 AM
Tried talking JasonB in to making an appearance but to no avail! (he ventured out for a hit with Flavzz and myself at Thaxted this morning)

Thanks for the call.

nadg63
23rd March 2020, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the call.Was just Flavzz and me, Jase was a very late addition Saturday night.

nadg63
23rd March 2020, 01:29 PM
Re Sunday, is everyone still intending to attend OR will it be Corona’d off!? (how things are going by Sunday we might not have any choice in the matter anyway!)

Hard_Pan
23rd March 2020, 03:01 PM
Unless we all fall off a cliff before Sunday, I intend to show up. Golf would be one of the safer options available atm. We usually do lunch afterwards. Maybe that won't be possible given pubs and clubs are shutting all over the place.

thecollective
23rd March 2020, 03:17 PM
Unless we all fall off a cliff before Sunday, I intend to show up. Golf would be one of the safer options available atm. We usually do lunch afterwards. Maybe that won't be possible given pubs and clubs are shutting all over the place.

Most are offering takeaway, although hardly ideal

wazamac
23rd March 2020, 04:00 PM
I heard from a reliable social media site that the world will end 7 pm on Friday night.
I'm going home to put my foil hat on.

Hatchman
23rd March 2020, 05:08 PM
Unless there's a major turn for the worse and forced Government orders to stay at home I'm still intending to play.
A sit down lunch in a venue wont be on the cards.

thecollective
24th March 2020, 09:05 AM
confirmed now

DMG
24th March 2020, 06:32 PM
Sorry gents, I'll have to pull the pin on this one. My wife has a bad immune system and historically weak lungs so simply can't take the risk of bringing anything home. Hope y'all have a great round!

wazamac
24th March 2020, 06:41 PM
Understandable DMG. Stay Safe

Hatchman
24th March 2020, 07:00 PM
All good DMG.
Can fully understand anyone changing plans.

Wenz
24th March 2020, 08:46 PM
You guys may want to confirm with the proshop if they are allowing access to the course for non-members.

As per Golf Australia statement below:

The advice for SA comes out of SAPOL, The Office of Rec, Sport & Racing and The Office of Liquor & Gaming through Clubs SA.

Your clubhouse must be closed and there should be no food and beverage service at the club, whatsoever. The pro shop can remain open, but must not be used as a place of social gathering under any circumstance.

Your club should be operating on a members-only basis.

Hatchman
24th March 2020, 09:55 PM
The landscape of what we can an cant do is constantly changing.
Was always going to ring late in the week to find out on what their status is.

Hard_Pan
24th March 2020, 10:10 PM
They've removed all the seating around the Clubhouse at North Haven to discourage social gathering. I think the food and beverage service thing must be inside the clubrooms because they're allowing take-away everywhere else. I know they're still planning to serve drinks at NH. Didn't know about the members only basis thing. How will the virus know if you're a member or not?

Hatchman
24th March 2020, 10:13 PM
They've removed all the seating around the Clubhouse at North Haven to discourage social gathering. I think the food and beverage service thing must be inside the clubrooms because they're allowing take-away everywhere else. I know they're still planning to serve drinks at NH. Didn't know about the members only basis thing. How will the virus know if you're a member or not?

I think it's more about thinking members are from a smaller area close to the club and trying to limit people coming from afar and possibly bringing the virus into what my be a clean community. Just guessing.

Hard_Pan
24th March 2020, 10:15 PM
I think it's more about thinking members are from a smaller area close to the club and trying to limit people coming from afar and possibly bringing the virus into what my be a clean community. Just guessing. My comment was tongue in cheek but yes, that makes perfect sense.

thecollective
24th March 2020, 10:58 PM
10 ppl is the limit according to scomo. Looks like we are a green light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flavzz
24th March 2020, 11:27 PM
I'm in a similar position to DMG, we are caring for my mother in law who is high risk in many categories. I also get the feeling that by the end of the week the situation will be orders of magnitude stricter than it is even today. Out sorry.

thecollective
25th March 2020, 11:19 AM
Appreciate the reasons for the outs

Bear in mind this could be the last catchup for a while if things go in the same direction as the UK

My personal thoughts are to get some quality golf in over the weekend (long weekend for me, TOIL on Monday) and then lay low for a while

BobsYourUncle
25th March 2020, 12:17 PM
I'm going to try again for a leave pass, for the reasons TC mentions. No promises though.

BobsYourUncle
25th March 2020, 12:22 PM
Leave pass achieved. Hmm, that was easy. I'll be there (as long as it's still open).

nadg63
25th March 2020, 01:28 PM
I contacted them this morning and at this moment in time the course is still OPEN.

wazamac
25th March 2020, 02:07 PM
You guys may want to confirm with the proshop if they are allowing access to the course for non-members.

As per Golf Australia statement below:

The advice for SA comes out of SAPOL, The Office of Rec, Sport & Racing and The Office of Liquor & Gaming through Clubs SA.

Your clubhouse must be closed and there should be no food and beverage service at the club, whatsoever. The pro shop can remain open, but must not be used as a place of social gathering under any circumstance.

Your club should be operating on a members-only basis.

Stupidity reigns if the courses adhere to member only with no revenue incoming.

BobsYourUncle
27th March 2020, 01:10 PM
Is the proshop still open for payment? I'll probably give them a call tomorrow if no one else has already.

Hatchman
27th March 2020, 02:59 PM
I've called the the Pro Shop this afternoon and they are still open for Sunday at this stage.
The one thing she did say was a maximum of 3 per group instead of 4.

BobsYourUncle
27th March 2020, 03:22 PM
Ok. Is there still 7 if us? I'm sure we can make it work.

wazamac
27th March 2020, 03:26 PM
I'm usually 60m behind everyone so it looks like I play alone.

nadg63
27th March 2020, 03:36 PM
Ok. Is there still 7 if us? I'm sure we can make it work.

Six attendees according to the OP.

BobsYourUncle
27th March 2020, 03:52 PM
Six attendees according to the OP.

Plus me (I haven't been added to the OP) as of a few days ago.

Hatchman
27th March 2020, 04:41 PM
I don't think it will be an issue if we have to play in 2x pairs and 1 group of 3.

1. Hatch
2. Nadg
3. Hardpan
4. Marcel
5. Wazamac
6. Thecollective
7. BYU

In the interest of what the grouping may be on Saturday.
Has everyone had a round with each other at least once before?

nadg63
27th March 2020, 05:11 PM
Plus me (I haven't been added to the OP) as of a few days ago.

Sorry about that :)

marcel
27th March 2020, 06:33 PM
I'd suggest putting nadg in the group of 3 in case he doesn't make it through all 18

nadg63
27th March 2020, 07:16 PM
I'd suggest putting nadg in the group of 3 in case he doesn't make it through all 18

I've managed to for the previous 2 weeks at Thaxted - and Wilunga is flatter than there! (but could be a valid point :) )

Hard_Pan
28th March 2020, 01:54 PM
We had our regular comp at NH today and all went well with appropriate social distancing being the order of the day.

However, when the comp finished we were alerted that there would be no further comps at NH until further notice.

I then received an email from the Club President advising, "South Australian Police last night announced gatherings of 10 people or fewer would also now be restricted to one person per 4 square metres.

A person who owns, controls or operates a place in the state "must not allow" a prohibited gathering to occur and a person must not organise a gathering of more than 10 people."

That being the case, I rang Willunga and was told that as of 1:22pm Saturday 28 March 2020, the course will be open for social rounds tomorrow. That said, the situation might change over night and they will take calls in the morning to confirm the situation.

thecollective
28th March 2020, 09:28 PM
Mount compass was great today....

Not a bad backup if SNAFU happens at Willy

thecollective
29th March 2020, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the hit guys, arrived on the dot at 8:30 thanks to my gps putting me at the back of the course.

Was pretty rough going on the front nine, Marcel was consistent considering a hickory set was in play. Hatchy showing some signs of his lack of regular play but still managed to stripe a few.

Had a tweak in my back this morning so once the pain killer settled down i started to get the timing going.

New clubs are amazing, i didn’t hit them well today but yesterday had an amazing time around Mount Compass. Cannot believe the amount of spin you can get on the ball with modern blades.

nadg63
29th March 2020, 03:53 PM
Attended the SA Ozgolf monthly hit this morning at Willunga GC, didn't play tho! Was raining when I left home and upon arrival so left my gear in the car and just had a casual walk for 9 holes, (of course it stopped raining just prior to tee off and then stayed away)

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=50994&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=50995&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=50996&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=50997&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=50998&stc=1

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=50999&stc=1

wazamac
29th March 2020, 05:11 PM
Had fun today for the first time at this course.

Hard_Pan
29th March 2020, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the hit guys. Fun as always but was a bit weird hitting into greens with no idea where the holes were (pins were removed.)

Let’s hope we can have another hit in a few weeks.

nadg63
29th March 2020, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the hit guys. Fun as always but was a bit weird hitting into greens with no idea where the holes were (pins were removed.)

Let’s hope we can have another hit in a few weeks.

Latest from the PM, (on TV 10mins ago), is that the recommended amount of persons for a 'gathering' is to lower it from 10 to 2!

Hatchman
29th March 2020, 07:06 PM
Thanks to all that made it for the day while the rest of the world decends into madness.
It was quite strange hitting to greens with no flagsticks not having any idea where the hole was.
Had a frustrating day losing balls in open clean spots just on the edge of tree lines due to the ball blending in with dry gum leaves. Can’t believe I’m saying this but using a coloured ball would not be such a bad idea here.
Course is good enough for me to be happy to go back anytime.
Big disappointment was not being able to sit down have a drink, meal and shoot the breeze after the round.
Biggest disappointment was not being able to get yummy Satay sticks at the local Fish & Chip / Chinese takeaway as they only open at 4pm for evening meals.

Hatchman
29th March 2020, 07:42 PM
Latest from the PM, (on TV 10mins ago), is that the recommended amount of persons for a 'gathering' is to lower it from 10 to 2!

Found it disappointing that after being told on the ph when I called Friday that group sizes would be a maximum of 3 not 4 we saw a group of 7 (6 playing) putting out on the 1st hole while we were playing up the 9th.

Flavzz
29th March 2020, 09:12 PM
Thanks to all that made it for the day while the rest of the world depends into madness.
It was quite strange hitting to greens with no flagsticks not having any idea where the hole was.
Had a frustrating day losing balls in open clean spots just on the edge of tree lines due to the ball blending in with dry gum leaves. Can’t believe I’m saying this but using a coloured ball would not be such a bad idea here.
Course is good enough for me to be happy to go back anytime.
Big disappointment was not being able to sit down have a drink, meal and shoot the breeze after the round.
Biggest disappointment was not being able to get yummy Satay sticks at the local Fish & Chip / Chinese takeaway as they only open at 4pm for evening meals.

Sorry I missed it lads. No flags would have been pretty frustrating but better than no golf!

DMG
30th March 2020, 09:52 AM
Looks like a great day out lads... (except for no flags!) :o

Hopefully it won't be too long before I can get out there again.