PDA

View Full Version : Downtime - Tuesday, Feb 10, 7p+ onwards - Server Host Move

AndyP
6th February 2020, 09:18 PM
The forum will be turned off tomorrow at around 4pm while the site migrates to a new host. I'm hopeful that it will be back up and running, and a bit faster on Saturday morning, while you are playing golf.

It takes time for your various internet providers to update to the new IP address, so you may still be seeing the "forum off" message in your browser while others are already posting about winning monthly medals the week before Vic Champs. I'll provide updates on Facebook, if we encounter any issues.

BUSHY
6th February 2020, 10:48 PM
The forum will be turned off tomorrow at around 4pm while the site migrates to a new host. I'm hopeful that it will be back up and running, and a bit faster on Saturday morning, while you are playing golf.

It takes time for your various internet providers to update to the new IP address, so you may still be seeing the "forum off" message in your browser while others are already posting about winning monthly medals the week before Vic Champs. I'll provide updates on Facebook, if we encounter any issues.

Thanks for the heads up Andy!!

markTHEblake
7th February 2020, 12:42 AM
Im migrating my VPS (employers website) at the same time. this is a good Omen.

AndyP
7th February 2020, 09:27 PM
Where is everyone? ;)

AndyP
8th February 2020, 10:25 AM
We haven't moved and come back yet unfortunately; I have just turned things back on, until a problem with migrating the database is resolved. It may go offline again today.

Pickles
8th February 2020, 10:31 AM
In my experience there's always something that goes wrong when migrating message boards. Although most of my experience is with invision forums.

Good luck, hopefully it's resolved quickly.

AndyP
8th February 2020, 10:41 AM
In my experience there's always something that goes wrong when migrating message boards. Although most of my experience is with invision forums.

Good luck, hopefully it's resolved quickly.
I've just noticed that they missed copying some files across too. It just happens to be the largest folder that has all of the attachments from member's posts, so it looks like there is still some work to do. At least, the new host company is doing most of the work though, rather than me.

AndyP
8th February 2020, 08:12 PM
With no guarantee that we will be up and running with the new host tomorrow, I have decided to turn the forum back on, and wear the consequences, which is mostly paying another month's fees at the old host and negotiating with the new host on another database migration. I hope to be able to do the migration in slow time over the coming weeks, with some testing, then only go live with the new host with a fresh snapshot, once I'm confident everything works.

Note that any attachments to posts may be lost between now and the final switch, however I'll see what I can do to avoid that.

Sorry for the extended downtime.

markTHEblake
8th February 2020, 08:25 PM
We haven't moved and come back yet unfortunately; I have just turned things back on, until a problem with migrating the database is resolved. It may go offline again today.
guess what happened with my migration last night too?

i know this was a good omen :roll:

AndyP
9th February 2020, 01:11 PM
Update:

The ones and zeros for the attachments are still travelling under the ocean to get here, and are about a third of the way through.

However, the site on the new host's server has had everything else migrated across, and looks to be working fine fortunately. They have agreed to migrate another snapshot of our database that will include the latest posts, once I'm ready.

Another reminder that if you make a post with attachments at the moment, those attachments may be lost.

AndyP
10th February 2020, 02:27 PM
I'll take the site down again later tonight to finalise the migration, then point our website name to the new hosts when they are finished tomorrow morning. It will take a bit longer for the site IP address change to flow through to you, but if you know how to edit a hosts file on your PC, you can come over earlier.

markTHEblake
10th February 2020, 02:55 PM
Andy, suggest change the TTL on the DNS record to 5 mins. Change it back to 24 hours(typical default) later.

AndyP
10th February 2020, 07:01 PM
Andy, suggest change the TTL on the DNS record to 5 mins. Change it back to 24 hours(typical default) later.
I don't know if I can do that yet.

AndyP
12th February 2020, 03:46 PM
Opened for testing.

AndyP
12th February 2020, 03:51 PM
If anyone is able to log in, please reply.

Pickles
12th February 2020, 03:52 PM
Hi!

Pickles
12th February 2020, 03:56 PM
I was able to login on my laptop.

One thing I have noticed is this error at the top of some pages http://prntscr.com/r11nu6

Wenz
12th February 2020, 03:56 PM
I'm here!

AndyP
12th February 2020, 04:02 PM
I was able to login on my laptop.

One thing I have noticed is this error at the top of some pages http://prntscr.com/r11nu6
I haven't seen that one yet, but I have seen similar. I guess I'll work on those over time, but at least we can post.

AndyP
12th February 2020, 04:06 PM
Okay, I'm going to do my real job for a little bit now. Don't break anything.......else!

AndyP
12th February 2020, 04:39 PM
Those little errors should be gone, and our plug-ins have come back. The new hosts forgot to change back one of the settings.

jimandr
12th February 2020, 05:22 PM
After three or four days of getting AP's witty please wait message, or even a 404 message a few times, I clicked on my usual bookmark link, and here I am.

I didn't even have to log back in.

I had lots of clever things to post during the hiatus, but I can't think of them now.

BenM
12th February 2020, 05:25 PM
Hello!

Seems nice and fast :)

Coopers Country
12th February 2020, 05:39 PM
We’re back

Yossarian
12th February 2020, 05:49 PM
A new dawn.

Wenz
12th February 2020, 05:55 PM
Site seems super fast, great job AP!

AndyP
12th February 2020, 05:56 PM
Part of the vision, Yoss.

AndyP
12th February 2020, 07:13 PM
I need to shutdown the old place by Saturday, so if you come across any issues, please let me know ASAP.

markTHEblake
12th February 2020, 08:52 PM
All my brilliant posts have disappeared?

AndyP
12th February 2020, 09:29 PM
All my brilliant posts have disappeared?Those two posts from 2004 are still here, just hard to find.

markTHEblake
12th February 2020, 10:49 PM
👍

markTHEblake
13th February 2020, 12:08 AM
The time zone on this server is different. The thread subscription email is coming at a differnt time now

Toxic
13th February 2020, 06:11 AM
Massive upgrade in speed on the site. Well done

AndyP
13th February 2020, 08:05 AM
Massive upgrade in speed on the site. Well done
A speed upgrade wouldn't have been hard from how it has been travelling lately.

CeeAy
13th February 2020, 09:33 AM
Quick!

Yossarian
13th February 2020, 11:28 AM
Part of the vision, Yoss. 🤭

Toxic
13th February 2020, 06:29 PM
A speed upgrade wouldn't have been hard from how it has been travelling lately. I post on 3 other forums, and this is now miles quicker

AndyP
13th February 2020, 06:40 PM
Sweet!

AndyP
14th February 2020, 12:28 AM
I knew things looked to good. All of the attachments have gone. :(

markTHEblake
14th February 2020, 01:06 PM
Think of all the bans that are no longer applicable now! There is always an upside.

golfbound
14th February 2020, 08:29 PM
so fast this is awesome, welldone Andy

AndyP
22nd February 2020, 11:26 AM
Still some issues to look into, as the mail accounts that were initially migrated, are no longer there. I have tested the private message functionality though, and the email notification for that still seems fine. I'm not sure on the affect on subscribed threads though.

AndyP
24th February 2020, 09:30 PM
Mail accounts are back.

However, uploading pictures or other attachments doesn't seem to be working at the moment. You can use Tapatalk for pics though.

I'll try to look into this over the next couple of days.

AndyP
1st March 2020, 03:19 PM
The issue with uploading images and other attachments has now been resolved. Images can now be uploaded, and will be automatically resized by the forum software.

Blackhelmo
15th April 2020, 07:24 PM