PDA

View Full Version : New handicap system

Grumpy8
31st January 2020, 07:03 PM
To quote an infamous red head “please explain “ currently g a cap is 8
Warragul slope is 125 so daily was 9 , when I looked up cap today my daily tomorrow is 6 . Scratch rating is 69 par is 71 . I can’t play to 8 or 9 so how the f ... k am I going to play 6 . Am I reading it wrong ? With an anchor of 5.4 am I going to be held to 8.4 ? What effect does this new shite have on 27 markers ? Lawn bowls is looking better every f n day at the moment

BobsYourUncle
31st January 2020, 07:21 PM
I must admit I'm not fully across the changes, but I think the scratch rating is what's killed you. I think the difference between par and scratch (2 for you) is subtracted from your daily. I'm surprised a course with a 125 slope rating has a 69 scratch rating.My GA handicap went from 7.9 to 8.5 (the 0.93 multiplier move), but daily hasn't changed from 9 (par 71, scratch 71, slope 122).

benno_r
31st January 2020, 07:40 PM
To quote an infamous red head “please explain “ currently g a cap is 8
Warragul slope is 125 so daily was 9 , when I looked up cap today my daily tomorrow is 6 . Scratch rating is 69 par is 71 . I can’t play to 8 or 9 so how the f ... k am I going to play 6 . Am I reading it wrong ? With an anchor of 5.4 am I going to be held to 8.4 ? What effect does this new shite have on 27 markers ? Lawn bowls is looking better every f n day at the moment

Your "played to" score going into golflink will be exactly the same. Previously you would have to shoot 38 off 8, to play to cap. Now you have to shoot 36 off 6 to play to cap. Both are the same amount of strokes.

Matt 3 Jab
31st January 2020, 07:58 PM
My handicap has gone up 0.4.

I'm still not all over it either, but the 'soft cap' comes in at 3 above your anchor, and at that point if you were to technically go up 0.6 of a shot by the numbers, then you only get 0.3 back. I guess to stop the major up and down moves. I don't agree. If you're playing bad, you need all the help you can get to make the game 'fun' and score some points. My view anyway.

My course tomorrow will be 76 scratch rating (+4) off the plates. Does that mean I get 4 on top of my handicap?? And no DSR unless this new PCC comes into it??

I don't agree with the 43 (7+ points better than handicap) extra reduction. I understand they are trying to stop massive scores winning big events by reducing you longer but if that's a net 7 better, you could play a good round ( I do it once every 20, having a couple under par when I somehow get it around the course) and it screws mt handicap for 20 rounds being for me a full shot (+2.5 to a 6.6 for example) meaning the good round reduces my handicap by 25% for 5 months. Ok it may only be one shot but it compounds. Then to hit me extra again for one decent round. BS. 19 shit games doesn't make up for 1 good one.

If they want to tackle the C grader who can play to 10, then scale the handicap reduction as it was under the old system being a larger drop for C graders and less for A graders.

No system is perfect but this continual attempt to stop sandbaggers does more harm than good IMO.

I don't have the answer to it, but I'll try and think of one!

Steve57
31st January 2020, 08:11 PM
My GA has gone up .7 from 8.3 to 9 which is what I was playing off.
Now because our Scratch Rating is 69 against a Par of 70, I will be playing off 8.
Whilst I understand how it works, is my situation exactly the same as all my fellow competitors in our comp tomorrow?
I have my doubts!!

Ferrins
31st January 2020, 08:16 PM
Cool, gone from 4.2 to 4.6. Nice!

BobsYourUncle
31st January 2020, 08:21 PM
Your "played to" score going into golflink will be exactly the same. Previously you would have to shoot 38 off 8, to play to cap. Now you have to shoot 36 off 6 to play to cap. Both are the same amount of strokes.

Ah, yes, I remember reading that - this change means that 36 points is now a common benchmark for playing to your GA handicap.

AndyP
31st January 2020, 08:22 PM
I read about it before, and thought that I had made sense of it, but now I have forgotten all of that.

I've moved from 7.1 to 7.7, but since I don't have a regular home course, I'll just do what I usually do and turn up and play golf (when I'm actually able).

No system is perfect but this continual attempt to stop sandbaggers does more harm than good IMO.
I certainly agree with stopping this tweaking to counter sandbaggers aka cheats; they are a minority and will find a way no matter what.

Grumpy8
31st January 2020, 08:22 PM
Your "played to" score going into golflink will be exactly the same. Previously you would have to shoot 38 off 8, to play to cap. Now you have to shoot 36 off 6 to play to cap. Both are the same amount of strokes. When you are having 27 pts off 9 the thought of turning up tomorrow To play off 6 is a bit daunting, I have a played to 4,5 dropping off tomorrow which is my only motivation to turn up but an anchor under the old system is going to keep me on 6 until I start playing to it or give golf up . My bet is on the second choice

markTHEblake
31st January 2020, 08:23 PM
Am I reading it wrong ? With Yes you are reading it wrong. Suggest look at the info on your clubs noticeboard or GA website which explains the changes quite nicely, instead of calling it shite.

Grumpy8
31st January 2020, 08:26 PM
Cool, gone from 4.2 to 4.6. Nice! My g a went from 7.4 to 8 but daily went to 6 , better check your scratch rating

SundayHack
31st January 2020, 08:28 PM
Our club runs a week long comp. My daily dropped 2 overnight. I questioned the club captain if my 38 points today would transfer to 40 for the competition. I was told it was “tough luck”. That didn’t go down well and could be in some trouble. I’m not saying my reaction was perfect but I believe I was correct.

Matt 3 Jab
31st January 2020, 08:29 PM
When you are having 27 pts off 9 the thought of turning up tomorrow To play off 6 is a bit daunting, I have a played to 4,5 dropping off tomorrow which is my only motivation to turn up but an anchor under the old system is going to keep me on 6 until I start playing to it or give golf up . My bet is on the second choiceYou will be able to go to a GA of 12/13 and a daily of 11. It'll take longer or require more crap golf. Agree it isn't motivating.

AndyP's comment about cheats will always find a way is spot on. They will have a heap of 42 points late in the day to keep under the 7 shots and more 19 points to get the handicap back up nice and fast.

Steve57
31st January 2020, 08:33 PM
Our club runs a week long comp. My daily dropped 2 overnight. I questioned the club captain if my 38 points today would transfer to 40 for the competition. I was told it was “tough luck”. That didn’t go down well and could be in some trouble. I’m not saying my reaction was perfect but I believe I was correct.
How can they run a comp with two different sets of handicapping rules?
I’m sure my reaction would have been the same!
As an ex Club Captain there is no way I would even contemplate doing what they have done, that is just DUMB and asking for trouble.

benno_r
31st January 2020, 08:39 PM
My course tomorrow will be 76 scratch rating (+4) off the plates. Does that mean I get 4 on top of my handicap??

It sure does. 4 more handicap for the entire field.

benno_r
31st January 2020, 08:41 PM
My GA has gone up .7 from 8.3 to 9 which is what I was playing off.
Now because our Scratch Rating is 69 against a Par of 70, I will be playing off 8.
Whilst I understand how it works, is my situation exactly the same as all my fellow competitors in our comp tomorrow?
I have my doubts!!Yes it is, the entire field will lose that 1 shot on their handicap....

And even though you ga has gone up as the handicap calc no longer uses the 0.93 multiplier, the daily calculation does, so it takes you back to where you would be on the day. Before the scr adjustment is then applied of course.

Grumpy8
31st January 2020, 08:43 PM
Yes you are reading it wrong. Suggest look at the info on your clubs noticeboard or GA website which explains the changes quite nicely, instead of calling it shite. I have a narrow focus , not really interested in golf aus spin , not interested in comparing my cap to some yanks cap . They have fiddled with the system for years either to make it fairer for c graders to now to catch the bandits . As far as I am concerned it’s shite as I am getting screwed . More chance of a 27 cap playing to 25 than me playing to 6 . Should I be wrong I will admit it on here

benno_r
31st January 2020, 08:48 PM
When you are having 27 pts off 9 the thought of turning up tomorrow To play off 6 is a bit daunting, I have a played to 4,5 dropping off tomorrow which is my only motivation to turn up but an anchor under the old system is going to keep me on 6 until I start playing to it or give golf up . My bet is on the second choiceSo 27pts off 9, on your scr, saw your golflink receive a "played to 20".

So if you now play off 7, and shoot 25pts, your golf link will receive a "played to 20".

You have always had to shoot 38 to get a played to cap. Now you get 2 less cap and have to shoot 36.

On top of that, the entire field has 2 less cap, so your 25 now will place you in exactly the same spot your 27 did.

There really is no difference.

Grumpy8
31st January 2020, 08:56 PM
You will be able to go to a GA of 12/13 and a daily of 11. It'll take longer or require more crap golf. Agree it isn't motivating.AndyP's comment about cheats will always find a way is spot on. They will have a heap of 42 points late in the day to keep under the 7 shots and more 19 points to get the handicap back up nice and fast. My anchor is 5.4 till March but I the had 2 months off with back problems, then slowly went out so my anchor is still going to be low for quite sometime. So 8.4 is looking likely

Rodent
31st January 2020, 08:57 PM
I love the new system. As someone who is trying to get my hcp down, I got a bonus 1 shot reduction for getting a played to score 7.8 below my GA hcp. How long does that reduction last? I assume as long as that round is in my last 20?

Matt 3 Jab
31st January 2020, 08:58 PM
It sure does. 4 more handicap for the entire field.So you get the shots before the round and not after the round with the DSR??

And the PCC can add or subtract from this as a sort of DSR??

So the big change is that you get screwed over if you have 43 points (adjusted) plus by having your handicap manipulated lower than the maths calculates, and takes you longer to get shots back when the going is tough.

Real sandbagger target's but screw a lot of other players for that sake

3oneday
Does your handicap control how you play?

Daves
... There really is no difference.

Exactly. The math is the same, the way it is calculated is slightly different but it gives you the same answer.

Matt 3 Jab
31st January 2020, 09:00 PM
My anchor is 5.4 till March but I the had 2 months off with back problems, then slowly went out so my anchor is still going to be low for quite sometime. So 8.4 is looking likelyBut even at 10.4 GA you get a little extra for the slope and 12 may go to 10. But agree it doesn't help when you don't put scores in you can't go up

benno_r
31st January 2020, 09:02 PM
So you get the shots before the round and not after the round with the DSR??

And the PCC can add or subtract from this as a sort of DSR??

So the big change is that you get screwed over if you have 43 points (adjusted) plus by having your handicap manipulated lower than the maths calculates, and takes you longer to get shots back when the going is tough.

Real sandbagger target's but screw a lot of other players for that sakeYes, before the round. Under the old system I should have played off 8 today. But since scr 69/par 70, I played off 7.

Previously my mindset was to shoot 37 to play to cap. Now my my goal is to shoot 36.

As far as PCC, that would occur if abnormal conditions would require a change (like previously if dsr was different to scr). This is applied post round.

Matt 3 Jab
31st January 2020, 09:04 PM
Does your handicap control how you play?Yes. As much as I hate to admit it, I like to have a good score. Does 32 feel better than 29 to me. Yes. That's how I like my golf.

Should I be further penalised for having a great round beyond the maths??? I don't think so.

If the maths is the same, why doesnt your handicap go up as fast as it comes down as it's a representation of your current form. They shouldn't be slowing your handicap going up for the sake of cheats

SundayHack
31st January 2020, 09:04 PM
How can they run a comp with two different sets of handicapping rules?I’m sure my reaction would have been the same!As an ex Club Captain there is no way I would even contemplate doing what they have done, that is just DUMB and asking for trouble.I don’t think the incompetent prick knew how to handle it. A mix of the handicap roll over and our system already programmed to have the weekly comp was just too difficult. I gave him a fair spray that didn’t end well

benno_r
31st January 2020, 09:05 PM
I don’t think the incompetent prick knew how to handle it. A mix of the handicap roll over and our system already programmed to have the weekly comp was just too difficult. I gave him a fair spray that didn’t end wellYeah, that's fair enough. We had the same issue today, got a little awkward.

Grumpy8
31st January 2020, 09:06 PM
So 27pts off 9, on your scr, saw your golflink receive a "played to 20".So if you now play off 7, and shoot 25pts, your golf link will receive a "played to 20".You have always had to shoot 38 to get a played to cap. Now you get 2 less cap and have to shoot 36.On top of that, the entire field has 2 less cap, so your 25 now will place you in exactly the same spot your 27 did.There really is no difference. Assuming the dsr was 69 , The 27 pts was 44 th out of 46 on Thursday, , I was looking forward to getting a shot back not loosing a couple . If I start snap hooking there is a dam on the 4 th , is only a short walk to the carpark , just have to remember to take my keys and wallet out of the bag

benno_r
31st January 2020, 09:07 PM
Yes. As much as I hate to admit it, I like to have a good score. Does 32 feel better than 29 to me. Yes. That's how I like my golf.

Should I be further penalised for having a great round beyond the maths??? I don't think so.

If the maths is the same, why doesnt your handicap go up as fast as it comes down as it's a representation of your current form. They shouldn't be slowing your handicap going up for the sake of cheatsThe penalty for exceptional rounds is the only thing that falls outside of "the maths makes it the same". I am not sure it's a good rule, but i suppose it's one I would need to see in action before I judge it further.

Steve57
31st January 2020, 09:11 PM
I don’t think the incompetent prick knew how to handle it. A mix of the handicap roll over and our system already programmed to have the weekly comp was just too difficult. I gave him a fair spray that didn’t end well

Yeah, that's fair enough. We had the same issue today, got a little awkward.

I can’t believe anyone in there right mind would even try and have a weekly comp this week using both systems.
Not only the different rules but also the fact that Golflink was offline for 3 or 4 days whilst they adjusted everything.
Like I said before that is just DUMB and asking for trouble!

Grumpy8
31st January 2020, 09:13 PM
But even at 10.4 GA you get a little extra for the slope and 12 may go to 10. But agree it doesn't help when you don't put scores in you can't go up New system you only get 3 back then they drip feed the last 2 , I think ?

benno_r
31st January 2020, 09:13 PM
I can’t believe anyone in there right mind would even try and have a weekly comp this week using both systems.
Not only the different rules but also the fact that Golflink was offline for 3 or 4 days whilst they adjusted everything.
Like I said before that is just DUMB and asking for trouble!I work in our pro shop, and we didnt recieve a lot of info aside from 1 poster from GA. I have spent a lot of time trying to suss it out, and it took a while to figure out. The guys working today, didn't really foresee this issue, and most members didnt even know it was happening. I am sure the committee will be hearing more about it in the next week or so.

AndyP
31st January 2020, 09:14 PM
**** handicaps! Gross for the win!

Matt 3 Jab
31st January 2020, 09:16 PM
The penalty for exceptional rounds is the only thing that falls outside of "the maths makes it the same". I am not sure it's a good rule, but i suppose it's one I would need ti see in action before I judge it further.And the soft cap. Both outside the maths. Both aimed at cheats. Both can screw, to me, genuine players who have either a bad run of scores OR a great round.

Steve57
31st January 2020, 09:18 PM
I work in our pro shop, and we didnt recieve a lot of info aside from 1 poster from GA. I have spent a lot of time trying to suss it out, and it took a while to figure out. The guys working today, didn't really foresee this issue, and most members didnt even know it was happening. I am sure the committee will be hearing more about it in the next week or so.Fair enough but I think the only equitable solution would be to declare the comp null and void and give all those who paid comp fees a credit towards future comp fees.

Grumpy8
31st January 2020, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=Matt 3 Jab;1416004]Yes. As much as I hate to admit it, I like to have a good score. Does 32 feel better than 29 to me. Yes. That's how I like my golf. I am with you , 36 pts is playing to cap and ok , 30 to 35 will be acceptable if I can find reasons for it and learn something from it . Under 30 is crap and unacceptable . Every time I play I expect to / want to better 36 pts .

benno_r
31st January 2020, 09:19 PM
And the soft cap. Both outside the maths. Both aimed at cheats. Both can screw, to me, genuine players who have either a bad run of scores OR a great round.Yes that's right, I forgot about that.

Considering most golf whinging involves sandbagging, it doesnt surprise me they clamped down in that regard. Like I said, I think it will be a wait and see kind of thing if it stays.

Matt 3 Jab
31st January 2020, 09:22 PM
Yes that's right, I forgot about that.

Considering most golf whinging involves sandbagging, it doesnt surprise me they clamped down in that regard. Like I said, I think it will be a wait and see kind of thing if it stays.True true. But everyone knows in every club who those people are. These changes will not change their ways or how they operate. 42 points will be the winners, so as not to lose another shot at the magical 43 mark, and blow outs will be massive blow outs. So instead of getting 1.5 shots back with a crappy 25 points, it'll be an injury / emergency leave / bad run of holes for 17 points and instead of getting 2.8 back it'll be 1.4. Wow what a change

Ron Burgundy
31st January 2020, 09:24 PM
Why worry about things that are out of your control? The system is what it is. Turn up, hit the ball, find it, hit it again... and so on. The rest just takes care of itself.

SundayHack
31st January 2020, 09:28 PM
Fair enough but I think the only equitable solution would be to declare the comp null and void and give all those who paid comp fees a credit towards future comp fees.I would have accepted that

benno_r
31st January 2020, 09:29 PM
Why worry about things that are out of your control? The system is what it is. Turn up, hit the ball, find it, hit it again... and so on. The rest just takes care of itself.Exactly, go out and try and hit a better gross score than what you did last time. People get too tied up in "36 pts".

Steve57
31st January 2020, 09:30 PM
I would have accepted that
Exactly, as most reasonable people would!

Grumpy8
31st January 2020, 09:35 PM
Exactly, go out and try and hit a better gross score than what you did last time. People get too tied up in "36 pts". Our handicap system is based on 36 pts not 77 ots

benno_r
31st January 2020, 09:42 PM
Our handicap system is based on 36 pts not 77 otsYes, it is based on 36 now. Previously it was based on 36 +/- scr.

Matt 3 Jab
31st January 2020, 09:43 PM
Exactly, go out and try and hit a better gross score than what you did last time. People get too tied up in "36 pts".Whilst I agree on the broader idea of hit it, find it and hit again, golf, particularly Australian golf is mostly centred around competition at a club level. It's why you become a member (best tee times are competitions), I play each Saturday I can in the comp, I go out second group as then it's done by lunch and not an all day thing.

You pay competition fees and thus you enter a handicapped daily competition to hopefully play well and maybe even win something. The idea is that everyone competes on a level field. The maths in the new system isn't level. It adds in special considerations based on score alone (be it a great score or 12 bad ones in a row).

It specifically manipulates certain areas to try and stop cheats. It will not work.

If I could honestly play Saturday morning before the comp, with a group of mates, for free as I don't pay for social rounds, I would in a heart beat. But to play the best times (Saturday and Sunday morning until about 1pm) I am directed towards the daily competition.

And yes, no one's got a gun to my head to play comp, but in my opinion, it's how Australian golf is directed, and no club I have ever been at has said "you can book in within the comp but not play in the comp". Would stuff the 2BBB which runs each comp

benno_r
31st January 2020, 09:53 PM
Whilst I agree on the broader idea of hit it, find it and hit again, golf, particularly Australian golf is mostly centred around competition at a club level. It's why you become a member (best tee times are competitions), I play each Saturday I can in the comp, I go out second group as then it's done by lunch and not an all day thing.

You pay competition fees and thus you enter a handicapped daily competition to hopefully play well and maybe even win something. The idea is that everyone competes on a level field. The maths in the new system isn't level. It adds in special considerations based on score alone (be it a great score or 12 bad ones in a row).

It specifically manipulates certain areas to try and stop cheats. It will not work.

If I could honestly play Saturday morning before the comp, with a group of mates, for free as I don't pay for social rounds, I would in a heart beat. But to play the best times (Saturday and Sunday morning until about 1pm) I am directed towards the daily competition.

And yes, no one's got a gun to my head to play comp, but in my opinion, it's how Australian golf is directed, and no club I have ever been at has said "you can book in within the comp but not play in the comp". Would stuff the 2BBB which runs each compI spose that's where I differ. I go out every round to shoot a "played to" equal or better than my GA.

Under the old system, if I was playing with you at Magenta, I'd know a 32 was what I needed to play to my GA. Similarly, when I play Bargara (par 72, dsr 69), I had to shoot 39.

Now, no matter where I play, I know I have to shoot 36.

Like I said before, I am not sold on the "exceptional score"/"soft cap", and time well tell if they are good things. I can see small pockets (your case) where it is negative. But I also see positives that will stop bagging. On both these I would say "time will tell".

I gave up a long time ago trying to compete against others on handicap - there is never going to be a solution that makes everyone happy. Now I play myself under the new rules - simply 36pts. If any other wins come from it that's a bonus.

Matt 3 Jab
31st January 2020, 09:59 PM
I spose that's where I differ. I go out every round to shoot a "played to" equal or better than my GA.

Under the old system, if I was playing with you at Magenta, I'd know a 32 was what I needed to play to my GA. Similarly, when I play Bargara (par 72, dsr 69), I had to shoot 39.

Now, no matter where I play, I know I have to shoot 36.

Like I said before, I am not sold on the "exceptional score"/"soft cap", and time well tell if they are good things. I can see small pockets (your case) where it is negative. But I also see positives that will stop bagging. On both these I would say "time will tell".

I gave up a long time ago trying to compete against others on handicap - there is never going to be a solution that makes everyone happy. Now I play myself under the new rules - simply 36pts. If any other wins come from it that's a bonus.I will agree aiming for 36 points each and every week is a better idea. As long as the scratch ratings somewhat represent the course.

Time will tell. But being a 'world system' I can't see GA pulling out any time soon unless the soft cap and 43 point BS is purely an Aussie thing.

Baggers gunna bag. Always will.

jimandr
31st January 2020, 10:02 PM
Why worry about things that are out of your control? The system is what it is. Turn up, hit the ball, find it, hit it again... and so on. The rest just takes care of itself.

That's alright for you to say. This change will probably cost me $3 because I'm sure it will somehow be unfair to my team, and favourable to the other team, even though they win every week anyway.

I didn't play today, but the winner of the comp at my course shot 40 points. Wednesday's comp, under the old system, had a 47, followed by a 46. Not many will complain if 40 is a chance of winning the comp.

The golfing world didn't collapse last time the system changed, and it won't fall apart this time either.

benno_r
31st January 2020, 10:06 PM
I will agree aiming for 36 points each and every week is a better idea. As long as the scratch ratings somewhat represent the course.

Time will tell. But being a 'world system' I can't see GA pulling out any time soon unless the soft cap and 43 point BS is purely an Aussie thing.

Baggers gunna bag. Always will.Thing funny thing is. Australia has the least amount of change of anywhere in the world.

The yanks have gone nuclear trying to make sense of it.

Grumpy8
31st January 2020, 10:11 PM
Yes, it is based on 36 now. Previously it was based on 36 +/- scr. Now is +\~ scr, old was +\~ dsr wasn’t it

PerryGroves
31st January 2020, 10:13 PM
I'm so happy I'm not on my golf club committee anymore so I don't have to deal with most of you or versions thereof...….FFS, its been coming for over a year or more, just do some reading, not much, just a little.

PerryGroves
31st January 2020, 10:14 PM
Thing funny thing is. Australia has the least amount of change of anywhere in the world.

Yep

Grumpy8
31st January 2020, 10:15 PM
That's alright for you to say. This change will probably cost me $3 because I'm sure it will somehow be unfair to my team, and favourable to the other team, even though they win every week anyway.I didn't play today, but the winner of the comp at my course shot 40 points. Wednesday's comp, under the old system, had a 47, followed by a 46. Not many will complain if 40 is a chance of winning the comp.The golfing world didn't collapse last time the system changed, and it won't fall apart this time either. We play for $10 , some of the old farts on Tuesday are more interested in getting shots back so they can win the side bet , than winning the comp

benno_r
31st January 2020, 10:16 PM
Now is +\~ scr, old was +\~ dsr wasn’t itNope, now it's 36 for your daily, as your daily already factors in scr. And old system was +/- dsr, I got mixed up typing that in.

Edit:
More accurate version would be:
Old system +/- scr AND +/- dsr adjustment.
New system +/- dsr adjustment (now called PCC)

Grumpy8
31st January 2020, 10:19 PM
I'm so happy I'm not on my golf club committee anymore so I don't have to deal with most of you or versions thereof...….FFS, its been coming for over a year or more, just do some reading, not much, just a little. Our committee are the least likely to have read and understood it . They never really got slope ratings dsr

Matt 3 Jab
31st January 2020, 10:21 PM
I'm so happy I'm not on my golf club committee anymore so I don't have to deal with most of you or versions thereof...….FFS, its been coming for over a year or more, just do some reading, not much, just a little.Knowing the changes and having an opinion on those changes are two wildly different things.

With a view like that I'm surprised you're still not on the board as chairman

PerryGroves
31st January 2020, 10:21 PM
Our committee are the least likely to have read and understood it . They never really got slope ratings dsr

Sure, but that doesn't give you the right to be completely clueless.

When are you going to be Captain and get the ship sailing correctly?

Grumpy8
31st January 2020, 10:31 PM
Sure, but that doesn't give you the right to be completely clueless.When are you going to be Captain and get the ship sailing correctly? Is why I am on here getting the info I want , seems bottom line is I am off 6 tomorrow, the rest is all opinion ,whinging , encouragement and then some judgemental fluff from a couple of the usual suspects. Ps , I have been club captain twice and on match committee and greens committees , usually get asked to go on at most clubs but I find I get more done by not going on committees

markTHEblake
1st February 2020, 12:13 AM
Our committee are the least likely to have read and understood it . They never really got slope ratings dsrHow do you know that they dont understand it, when you dont understand it?

Johnny Canuck
1st February 2020, 01:06 AM
Way too much whinging in here.

hotkorma
1st February 2020, 05:39 AM
My god there is some woeful complaining going on here. I feel for the club captains and committee having to field these ridiculous questions. Go out and play golf, or don’t. Don’t rag on the committee members though, they keep the clubs going.

Dotty
1st February 2020, 07:36 AM
I just checked and I'm still off at 7am tomorrow.

Grumpy8
1st February 2020, 07:56 AM
How do you know that they dont understand it, when you dont understand it? your post proves my point ,you didn’t read and understand what I said ,Plus there is nothing on the web page about the changes , there has been a mention of up coming changes in the handicap section by golf aus but you have to check your cap to come across it

Grumpy8
1st February 2020, 08:01 AM
Way too much whinging in here. I agree and I am doing most of it , but the responses to it gives me more info to gauge what’s going on .

Grumpy8
1st February 2020, 08:02 AM
I just checked and I'm still off at 7am tomorrow. I just cancelled my 12.30 tee off

Dotty
1st February 2020, 08:21 AM
I just cancelled my 12.30 tee off
One down.

Under the new system, my daily drops from 10 to 9. I just need WBennett to cancel and the title 'Australia's Worst Single Figure Golfer' is again mine.

p.s. Who am I kidding? Wbennett won't give up Saturday golf for a bushfire threat.

Captain Nemo
1st February 2020, 08:58 AM
Too hot to play golf.

Ferrins
1st February 2020, 09:03 AM

markTHEblake
1st February 2020, 09:13 AM
,Plus there is nothing on the web page about the changes , there has been a mention of up coming changes in the handicap section by golf aus but you have to check your cap to come across itSo which is it? Nothing on the website about the changes or a dirty great big notice on the handicap look up page?

3Puttpete
1st February 2020, 09:39 AM
There seems to be a real dilemma between a vanity handicap and an entitlement to 40 points

Coopers Country
1st February 2020, 10:14 AM
Mine hasn’t changed , but since I have been playing the majority of my golf on greens instead of blacks it has been going out anyway
At the end of the day I play the game for fun and time with friends ,it’s frustrating when I don’t score well but not the end of the world
The new system won’t stop me playing put it that way

WBennett
1st February 2020, 10:21 AM
One down.

Under the new system, my daily drops from 10 to 9. I just need WBennett to cancel and the title 'Australia's Worst Single Figure Golfer' is again mine.

p.s. Who am I kidding? Wbennett won't give up Saturday golf for a bushfire threat.

Golf free weekend Dotty. Too hot, too busy.

It feels weird.

wazamac
1st February 2020, 12:54 PM
Does the new system still treat you as a cheat/ tanker if you cannot constantly make 30 points?

Matt 3 Jab
1st February 2020, 01:10 PM
Does the new system still treat you as a cheat/ tanker if you cannot constantly make 30 points?Yes because it won't allow your handicap to go up as the equation should allow. You'll be worse for longer. Join my club of that!

flathook
1st February 2020, 05:54 PM
I don’t think the incompetent prick knew how to handle it. A mix of the handicap roll over and our system already programmed to have the weekly comp was just too difficult. I gave him a fair spray that didn’t end well

Were you playing for a house and land package?

Johnny Canuck
1st February 2020, 05:56 PM
Yes because it won't allow your handicap to go up as the equation should allow. You'll be worse for longer. Join my club of that!

I can go up 3 just the same as it does now.

The soft cap will hardly impact you being a low marker. When was the last time you were more than 3 strokes above your anchor?

You’d think you guys were all from FNQ.

Minor_Threat
1st February 2020, 06:04 PM
Didn't play today, but everyone at my course had 4 strokes added to their handicaps. There were 2 x 62 nett scores, haven't seen a 62 in the 8 years I have been playing there.. 🤔

3oneday
1st February 2020, 06:55 PM
Yeah, just play. Join knittingonline.com for a really good sook.

Grumpy8
1st February 2020, 07:12 PM
Yeah, just play. Join knittingonline.com for a really good sook. Wouldn’t they knit socks,

Grumpy8
1st February 2020, 07:18 PM
Have decided to take a watch and see attitude. If I get stuck on 6 because of an old anchor I will apply for a review on medical grounds like an old boy I played with a few weeks ago , they gave him 10 shots back

3Puttpete
1st February 2020, 08:11 PM
Didn't play today, but everyone at my course had 4 strokes added to their handicaps. There were 2 x 62 nett scores, haven't seen a 62 in the 8 years I have been playing there.. 🤔 It has the same effect on their after round handicap as a 66 used to

3Puttpete
1st February 2020, 08:21 PM
I’m almost soft capping. That’s golf’s version of prairie dogging.

Minor_Threat
1st February 2020, 08:47 PM
It has the same effect on their after round handicap as a 66 used toYeah I know, it doesn't bother me to be honest I will enjoy having some shots to play with, they have me on +2.4 now 😂

BUSHY
1st February 2020, 09:40 PM
If the maths is the same, why doesnt your handicap go up as fast as it comes down as it's a representation of your current form.

Because to go out the good scores have to physically drop out of your 20 so that takes time- sometimes 10-12 rounds. To go in you only need to post good rounds so 3-4 good rounds will have you coming in.

BUSHY
1st February 2020, 09:42 PM

Hallelujah!!

3Puttpete
2nd February 2020, 07:40 AM
Hcp score 35. Played to my daily hcp. I’m confused.

benno_r
2nd February 2020, 08:07 AM
Hcp score 35. Played to my daily hcp. I’m confused.What was PCC for the day? I assume it rated 1 harder than expected.

Toxic
2nd February 2020, 10:37 AM
I'm assuming everyone's ok after yesterday's Y2K handicap catastrophe

Ron Burgundy
2nd February 2020, 10:44 AM
I'm assuming everyone's ok after yesterday's Y2K handicap catastrophe Can’t be sure. I’m still waiting it out in my fallout shelter.

3Puttpete
2nd February 2020, 10:56 AM
What was PCC for the day? I assume it rated 1 harder than expected. It was 0

marcel
2nd February 2020, 11:15 AM
I'm assuming everyone's ok after yesterday's Y2K handicap catastrophe

Our local supermarket sold out of tin foil hats

benno_r
2nd February 2020, 12:56 PM
It was 0Have you got a screen shot or something similar of all the numbers?

Matt 3 Jab
2nd February 2020, 01:03 PM
My anchor is 5.4 till March but I the had 2 months off with back problems, then slowly went out so my anchor is still going to be low for quite sometime. So 8.4 is looking likelyAfter your first round you'll have a new low point. So you'll be able to go up more IF you're not lower than your previous low point
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200202/bf62ab99f1ef4aa45db56767cf43e112.jpg

backintheswing
2nd February 2020, 01:47 PM
Have you got a screen shot or something similar of all the numbers?

Wouldn’t the one less shot just be due to a slope adjustment?

PerryGroves
2nd February 2020, 01:53 PM
Wouldn’t the one less shot just be due to a slope adjustment?

Either that or daylight saving.

Captain Nemo
2nd February 2020, 02:41 PM
Bunch of ****ing whiners the lot of you, lol.

3Puttpete
2nd February 2020, 06:02 PM
Have you got a screen shot or something similar of all the numbers?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200202/bb1b192f553f5a426689789d2c15f39b.jpg

Captain Nemo
2nd February 2020, 06:41 PM
Flusher!

Peppas
2nd February 2020, 06:45 PM
Smells like voodoo

Webster
2nd February 2020, 06:50 PM
I turned up to golf, they gave me a card with the same handicap as Wednesday, about the same scores as usual won the comp, my “played to” mediocre golf was about the same as usual, got soaked in the rain, had a free Leishman lager and 3 dimmies after golf, went home a happy man. Golf is awesome.

3Puttpete
2nd February 2020, 06:56 PM
I turned up to golf, they gave me a card with the same handicap as Wednesday, about the same scores as usual won the comp, my “played to” mediocre golf was about the same as usual, got soaked in the rain, had a free Leishman lager and 3 dimmies after golf, went home a happy man. Golf is awesome. Steamed?

Webster
2nd February 2020, 07:14 PM
Fried. South Melbourne dimmies - the best!

aussieashley
2nd February 2020, 07:35 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200202/bb1b192f553f5a426689789d2c15f39b.jpg

Your "Played To" figure compares to the Scratch Rating, not Par.

"(iv) What role in the handicap system does PCC actually perform in the calculation of a handicap?
▪ A player’s gross score is compared against the PCC-adjusted Scratch Rating value in order to determine aplayer’s ‘Played To’ value for that round. (The ‘Played To’ value is displayed in a player’s handicap recordon www.golf.org.au)."

3Puttpete
2nd February 2020, 08:23 PM
Your "Played To" figure compares to the Scratch Rating, not Par.

"(iv) What role in the handicap system does PCC actually perform in the calculation of a handicap?
[emoji830] A player’s gross score is compared against the PCC-adjusted Scratch Rating value in order to determine aplayer’s ‘Played To’ value for that round. (The ‘Played To’ value is displayed in a player’s handicap recordon www.golf.org.au)."

So this is incorrect?

Firstly, it simplifies handicapping by making 36 Stableford points (or net par) the universal measure of a golfer playing to their handicap, regardless of the tees or course.

aussieashley
2nd February 2020, 08:52 PM
So this is incorrect?

Firstly, it simplifies handicapping by making 36 Stableford points (or net par) the universal measure of a golfer playing to their handicap, regardless of the tees or course.

I would say that is not correct. I think your historical scores should have been adjusted to the new system as well. So if you look at your last 20 rounds, in terms of the "Played To" figure, 36pts won't always be playing to your handicap. Depending on the Scratch Rating, and the +/- of the PCC.
Where I play we have the same Scratch Rating and Par, so the PCC is affecting "playing to my handicap". So my 20th round is 30pts off 8. Which, against par, would be playing to 14. But the PCC was +2, so my played to is 12. In that case 34pts would give me a Daily Handicap of 8 and a "Played To" of 8.

My 17th round is probably a good example. 36pts off 8, but my "Played To" is 7 because the PCC was +1.

aussieashley
2nd February 2020, 09:03 PM
https://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p208/ashley_green/Round17.png (https://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p208/ashley_green/Round17.png)

3Puttpete
2nd February 2020, 11:37 PM
I would say that is not correct. I think your historical scores should have been adjusted to the new system as well. So if you look at your last 20 rounds, in terms of the "Played To" figure, 36pts won't always be playing to your handicap. Depending on the Scratch Rating, and the +/- of the PCC.Where I play we have the same Scratch Rating and Par, so the PCC is affecting "playing to my handicap". So my 20th round is 30pts off 8. Which, against par, would be playing to 14. But the PCC was +2, so my played to is 12. In that case 34pts would give me a Daily Handicap of 8 and a "Played To" of 8.My 17th round is probably a good example. 36pts off 8, but my "Played To" is 7 because the PCC was +1.Somebody should let GA know

Coopers Country
3rd February 2020, 12:39 AM
Well I had a 39 off the stick and 21 points for 9 today at 16 on the blacks , but this is what scares the **** out of me 109 slope , but I will get hammered for this in normal comp thankfully it’s in our twilight comp which doesn’t get handicapped
This is where I can run into trouble, I realise that this will affect the 1% of golfers that play blacks and greens but it does worry me a lot
I want to support the struggling clubs in my region but I cannot play to this handicap on a greens course
And I do realise GA cannot accomodate a person who plays both but if they were serious about their handicap system it would , they take money off a lot of a lot of country courses without even factoring this in

Monty85
3rd February 2020, 09:12 AM
After your first round you'll have a new low point. So you'll be able to go up more IF you're not lower than your previous low point

Is no one concerned about this???

So if you were already anchored, you can now increase an additional 5 shots above that previous anchor point?

Surely this is counter intuitive to the motivations behind a lot of the changes associated with the WHS.

Steve
3rd February 2020, 09:21 AM
Just noticed that i no longer have a cap score, so by what I read and understand the first game I pay under the WHS will set my low point, Looks like I'm having a terrible game for my next game.

Monty85
3rd February 2020, 09:45 AM
Just noticed that i no longer have a cap score, so by what I read and understand the first game I pay under the WHS will set my low point, Looks like I'm having a terrible game for my next game.

It will just be whatever your G.A handicap is calculated at after you play your first round under the WHS rules. So if you're G.A. doesn't change, that G.A value will be your low point going forward.

My issue is that players who are already anchored under the old system will now be eligible to increase an additional 5 shots in the new system.

So if someone had a low point in the old system of 10. Played poorly for a few months and was anchored on 15.0. They can now increase that handicap to 20.0.

3Puttpete
3rd February 2020, 10:56 AM
It will just be whatever your G.A handicap is calculated at after you play your first round under the WHS rules. So if you're G.A. doesn't change, that G.A value will be your low point going forward.My issue is that players who are already anchored under the old system will now be eligible to increase an additional 5 shots in the new system.So if someone had a low point in the old system of 10. Played poorly for a few months and was anchored on 15.0. They can now increase that handicap to 20.0.Why is this a problem?

Steve
3rd February 2020, 11:01 AM
yes there will be a 3 shot diff from my old low point to my new one

Monty85
3rd February 2020, 11:08 AM
Why is this a problem?

The whole point of the cap is stop people blowing out there handicaps too quickly (i.e. sandbaggers or people who just have bad spells and end up on a handicap that is far too high). By doing a hard reset of the cap and not applying the 12 month low point retrospectively, that cap could potentially be extended to 10.

If the point of the cap is to stop players increasing their handicaps in short periods of time - having a hard reset goes against that intention and only effects the very people the cap is trying to stop in the first place.

AndyP
3rd February 2020, 01:16 PM
If feels like I have wasted an opportunity to blow my handicap out.

markTHEblake
3rd February 2020, 02:39 PM
This is where I can run into trouble, I realise that this will affect the 1% of golfers that play blacks and greens but it does worry me a lot Many golfers that predominantly play their home track can have the same problem that they dont travel well. There is nothing special about that and not reasonable for the system to do anything about it.

Bigbad
3rd February 2020, 02:47 PM
Personally I couldn't care less about the new handicap system, in saying that, I didn't care about the old one either. I don't play golf to keep my handicap, I play to enjoy it, if my handicap comes down, so be it, if it goes out, that's no big deal either. I play comp every weekend, and I can say that I've never thought "gee i hope i play well so my handicap moves 0.4". I enjoy good golf, and enjoy the day out even if I play bad golf (even though I do get frustrated). Handicap is just a bi-product for me.

WBennett
3rd February 2020, 10:23 PM
This is awesome.

For Friday's short course event, I play off plus 2.

Always wanted to make scratch, but this is even better!

Dcanto
4th February 2020, 10:23 AM
This is awesome.For Friday's short course event, I play off plus 2.Always wanted to make scratch, but this is even better! Flusha.

JoeS
4th February 2020, 09:05 PM
got me buggered.Checked today.Last round was 38 points,replaced a 35 point game that dropped off.Handicap was 8.4,good round should have it go down,but gone up to 8.8

Daves
5th February 2020, 07:44 AM
got me buggered.Checked today.Last round was 38 points,replaced a 35 point game that dropped off.Handicap was 8.4,good round should have it go down,but gone up to 8.8

Have you read the changes? Might make sense then. Everybody went up with the 0.93 moved outside the GA calc. But the 0.93 comes back into the daily handicap calc and you will go back down again.

JoeS
5th February 2020, 08:45 AM
Have you read the changes? Might make sense then. Everybody went up with the 0.93 moved outside the GA calc. But the 0.93 comes back into the daily handicap calc and you will go back down again.Yep,read the changes,but that doesn't mean I understand them correctly.After the round,a quick calculation had me holding my handicap,or possibly going down .1.It may be that scratch rating wasn't considered correctly.Either way,all this will work itself out in another few rounds

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Grumpy8
5th February 2020, 01:54 PM
This is awesome.For Friday's short course event, I play off plus 2.Always wanted to make scratch, but this is even better! If I play our Tuesday comp I will be off +2 as well , coring greens Monday playing off beginners tees Tuesday , think I will go elsewhere

PerryGroves
5th February 2020, 01:58 PM
If I play our Tuesday comp I will be off +2 as well , coring greens Monday playing off beginners tees Tuesday , think I will go elsewhere

Should get a few shots back when they take your driver and give you an old B51 to play with.

Grumpy8
5th February 2020, 02:09 PM
Played yesterday had 31 pts off 6 , g a 8 , wasn’t that unhappy, played to 11.9 had a 4.5 drop off G.A. is out to 8.9 which is 7 at Warragul , 43 pts won the day so he wasn’t sandbagging or maybe hasn’t read the fine print , 46 usually wins at this time , A grade was 39 pts , I am pleased to see I have floated past 8.4 which I thought might have been my new soft cap . Think all that’s going to happen at Warragul is more tractors than usual with hand breaks on until they get the two shots back . Went had a lesson Monday to see if I can fix a few things , which helped yesterday, Probably going to do a game improvement series of lessons (12) so I don’t throw the clubs in the lake .

markTHEblake
5th February 2020, 02:41 PM
Does anyone know if the WHS accomadates overseas golf ( both ways ) any better? My guess is no. Still need to have a handicap/introduction letter and any returned scores would require manual adjustments.

Scottt
5th February 2020, 04:27 PM
Does anyone know if the WHS accomadates overseas golf ( both ways ) any better? My guess is no. Still need to have a handicap/introduction letter and any returned scores would require manual adjustments. Not in terms of score entry, but while different jurisdictions have some variations in how course handicap is calculated, there’s now uniformity in how the handicap index is calculated (which is why our .93 multiplier moved from the index calculation to the course handicap calculation), so wherever you go in the world, there’s an even playing field in terms of handicap index.

Matt 3 Jab
9th February 2020, 10:31 AM
An update to this and the new WHS.

The best thing about it is (and I don't know if all courses are doing it but I really hope they are) Is the ability for any golfer to choose the set of tees (red, white, blue black, yellow) in the daily competition and your handicap will be adjusted accordingly.

Where I play can be a real pain if you are not striking it the best, so having the ability before the round to say "I don't want to grind today, I'll play the reds or yellows or whites" and have the handicap adjust so you can still play in the daily comp is great.

I also want to play the course from different tees to play the holes differently.

This is a good move as well for the newcomers to golf, the higher handicap players or older players who can then move to a forward set of tees to enjoy the game more.

For me, this is the best thing to come out of it.

Daves
9th February 2020, 10:34 AM

The best thing about it is (and I don't know if all courses are doing it but I really hope they are) Is the ability for any golfer to choose the set of tees (red, white, blue black, yellow) in the daily competition and your handicap will be adjusted accordingly.

Where I play can be a real pain if you are not striking it the best, so having the ability before the round to say "I don't want to grind today, I'll play the reds or yellows or whites" and have the handicap adjust so you can still play in the daily comp is great.

I also want to play the course from different tees to play the holes differently.

This is a good move as well for the newcomers to golf, the higher handicap players or older players who can then move to a forward set of tees to enjoy the game more.

I think that was one of the main drivers of the "tinkering" that happened on the Australian end of the new world system. It will be interesting to see how many clubs adopt it?

Matt 3 Jab
9th February 2020, 10:42 AM
I think that was one of the main drivers of the "tinkering" that happened on the Australian end of the new world system. It will be interesting to see how many clubs adopt it?I had spoken to members of the board about it and wasn't sure if they would try it but they are at least going to try which is step one.

There are a lot of higher handicap players and older players at our club who can't reach some par 3's in one shot, let alone some of the par 4's in two. I can't see how it's not more enjoyable (and quicker) to play forward tees.

I also don't want to grind in the wind every round from the blues or blacks. I think it would be fun to play the reds or yellows, take different lines and different irons into holes. And the handicap is adjusted accordingly.

I just don't know how they will run the comp grades. That will require some thinking or they could just have no grade or a per tee grade.

Regardless I think it's a great idea

Captain Nemo
9th February 2020, 11:34 AM
I agree.
we have a Gold Course very Wednesday, I could play in it if I wanted and they just adjust your handicap when you register on the day.
i think I clicked the option once to look at and it was 2 shots less to play it....

Matt 3 Jab
9th February 2020, 11:40 AM
I agree.
we have a Gold Course very Wednesday, I could play in it if I wanted and they just adjust your handicap when you register on the day.
i think I clicked the option once to look at and it was 2 shots less to play it....Yep. I've worked out that I'll get +4 on the blacks, +2 on the blues, +1 on the whites, -2 red and -4 shots on yellows.

So many holes play so different from the blue to the white let alone reds / yellows.

Captain Nemo
9th February 2020, 11:54 AM
Your course absolutely would change a lot of holes...
I think on mine I’d be still hitting it/laying up to where I would normally, would just be hitting a shorter club off the tee...

Matt 3 Jab
9th February 2020, 12:08 PM
Your course absolutely would change a lot of holes...
I think on mine I’d be still hitting it/laying up to where I would normally, would just be hitting a shorter club off the tee...Yeah it would absolutely depend on the course.

Off the top of my head, from blue / black to red / yellow, the changes are massive.

#1 you can take on the fairway traps to try and go over them from reds but you lay up as close to them from blacks.

#2 becomes a choice from the tee of being a 2 shot par 5 or laying up as usual.

#3 is from a completely different angle

#4 is only length

#5 is now a choice between going for the green or not as is #6

#7 goes from 8 iron to GW

#8 becomes an almost par 4 to attack rather than having the trouble in the landing zone off the back

#9 brings in the left fairway trap and scrub and could take out the right trap which is in play from the back

That's only the first 9. Many many more options or like you said lay up to areas with shorter clubs (5 could be 6 iron and wedge rather than 3 wood wedge)

3Puttpete
9th February 2020, 01:49 PM
An update to this and the new WHS. The best thing about it is (and I don't know if all courses are doing it but I really hope they are) Is the ability for any golfer to choose the set of tees (red, white, blue black, yellow) in the daily competition and your handicap will be adjusted accordingly. Where I play can be a real pain if you are not striking it the best, so having the ability before the round to say "I don't want to grind today, I'll play the reds or yellows or whites" and have the handicap adjust so you can still play in the daily comp is great. I also want to play the course from different tees to play the holes differently. This is a good move as well for the newcomers to golf, the higher handicap players or older players who can then move to a forward set of tees to enjoy the game more. For me, this is the best thing to come out of it. I agree it’s a good idea but this should have been an option as soon as daily handicaps were determined by slope

Matt 3 Jab
9th February 2020, 01:57 PM
I agree it’s a good idea but this should have been an option as soon as daily handicaps were determined by slopeCouldn't agree more. We should be embracing the front tees more. The distance debate affects the pros more then us mere mortals

PeteyD
9th February 2020, 08:11 PM
Retards at my club still get confused if it is blue or black tees on the day. I can just imagine the butthurt if they could choose a tee.

3Puttpete
9th February 2020, 09:40 PM
Retards at my club still get confused if it is blue or black tees on the day. I can just imagine the butthurt if they could choose a tee.

Clubs could enforce it by grade rather than let players pick (unless someone wants to move forward.

I believe some clubs do this for monthly medals.

The only problem I see with the whole thing is ladies are forgotten in the whole thing unless they want to move back. The distance report mentioned how forward tees are still too far back for a lot of players. Maybe we’ll eventually get new tees for a really short course.

markTHEblake
10th February 2020, 09:36 AM
City GC Toowoomba implemented this a couple years ago, they have 5 or 6. It was just a matter of getting the courses rated on those tees, not anything to do with WHS

flathook
12th February 2020, 05:30 PM
Longleaf tee system.
Letting the maximum handicap out is a mistake. Forward tees are the answer.

markTHEblake
12th February 2020, 05:46 PM
How would running a competition off mixed tees work well? You might have a group of 4 hitting off 4 diferent tees, which will slow play down considerable.

flathook
12th February 2020, 07:24 PM
How would running a competition off mixed tees work well? You might have a group of 4 hitting off 4 diferent tees, which will slow play down considerable.
Don't understand how it slows down play. 80 year olds playing the back markers slows down play.

PerryGroves
12th February 2020, 07:49 PM
Don't understand how it slows down play. 80 year olds playing the back markers slows down play.

The only time of the year that causes us time issues is when we host pennant games.

3oneday
12th February 2020, 08:14 PM
Different tees will slow it down by heaps, a few will hit off, wander off to the next tee and wait again. As much as you’d like them to walk up and wait, only golfers with some idea on etiquette will do so, ie not many.

markTHEblake
12th February 2020, 08:48 PM
Don't understand how it slows down play. 80 year olds playing the back markers slows down play.So its the 80 year olds on handicaps above 36 hcap that are the problem?

Johnny Canuck
12th February 2020, 10:57 PM
Different tees will slow it down by heaps, a few will hit off, wander off to the next tee and wait again. As much as you’d like them to walk up and wait, only golfers with some idea on etiquette will do so, ie not many.

Walking up and waiting will last until someone gets smoked with a wild tee shot.

shazza_rs
12th February 2020, 11:42 PM
Walking up and waiting will last until someone gets smoked with a wild tee shot.

Yep I’m super conscious of a stray tee shot when I wait near my tees when playing in a mixed group. If I don’t feel it’s safe to go ahead I don’t. However I’m ready to start walking to my tee as soon as the last person has teed I’d and I’ve usually started / finished my tee shot by the time the last person has reached me.

Johnny Canuck
12th February 2020, 11:43 PM
Yep I’m super conscious of a stray tee shot when I wait near my tees when playing in a mixed group. If I don’t feel it’s safe to go ahead I don’t. However I’m ready to start walking to my tee as soon as the last person has teed I’d and I’ve usually started / finished my tee shot by the time the last person has reached me.

That's definitely the way it should be done.

Dotty
13th February 2020, 07:32 AM
We play 3 different tees on medal days (plus women) with no noticeable extra time, other than an occasional numpty using the wrong tee and re-hitting.

Most time is wasted on these days looking for lost balls, especially with higher handicappers and not getting a DSQ.

Personally, stroke rounds should be for A and B graders only (and preferably only one of those, to give the club golfers an incentive to improve).

flathook
13th February 2020, 07:42 PM
So its the 80 year olds on handicaps above 36 hcap that are the problem?
Part of the problem. Yes. It also adds to maintenance costs as you have to mow 40m from the tee. If you had a longleaf tee system in place short hitters would have less shots, take less time to play and the greenstaff would have to look after a lot less grass.

flathook
13th February 2020, 08:05 PM
I'm happy to join anyone on the course and have a lot of varied experiences. On my own it takes me just over two hours. With a good mate we play in 3 hours. A group of 4 mates around my handicap will take 3 and a half hours. I often play 9 holes with some old blokes after work and it's always over 2 hours. I will occasionally join some old ladies for 9 holes and it's less than 2 hours. The difference between the old ladies and old blokes is the length of the course.
The problem with comps is that clubs think they can squeeze more groups in with 7 or 8 minute intervals but this is a falsehood. The RandA has a good report on tee intervals and they need to be at least as long as it takes to play the shortest hole on the course. At least 10 minutes.
There are many reasons for slow play and length of the course for short hitters is one of them.

Grumpy8
13th February 2020, 08:28 PM
Am out to 9.5 G.A. daily at Warragul will be 8 so back to my pre Whs cap

Johnny Canuck
14th February 2020, 12:03 AM
The sky didn't fall!

hotkorma
14th February 2020, 07:42 AM
The sky didn't fall! There’s still time

Grumpy8
14th February 2020, 08:36 AM
The sky didn't fall! No , once I found they updated the anchor point I wasn’t so concerned. Being stuck on a daily of 6 wasn’t an attractive proposition given my current form . Will be interesting to see how long this system goes before they change it .

markTHEblake
14th February 2020, 01:05 PM
Part of the problem. Yes. It also adds to maintenance costs as you have to mow 40m from the tee. If you had a longleaf tee system in place short hitters would have less shots, take less time to play and the greenstaff would have to look after a lot less grass.How many 80yos are there on a handicap > 36?

Captain Nemo
14th February 2020, 01:17 PM
I agree.
i think I clicked the option once to look at and it was 2 shots less to play it....
I was mistaken...
pour Gold Course is 4 shots easier, not 2.
No way would I shoot 4 better playing from those tees....

Monty85
17th February 2020, 11:08 AM

You are kidding surely?

I play golf with female members all the time (who play off different tees) and it has never even been close to an issue.

Ferrins
17th February 2020, 11:16 AM

RQ ran this for the first time today.

Will be good when entertaining visitors.

Matt 3 Jab
17th February 2020, 11:23 AM
I agree that different tees will not slow down play IF (and a big IF) you are aware what tees you are playing from, go to that tee safely and be ready to hit off. Some tees are only metres apart, not a big deal, some are up to 80 metres or more different and you'll need to be aware where to go and the like.

I think the time from playing 3 shots into a par 4 and 2 shots into the same hole could offset any time gain on a tee shot. But I don't think it'll be an issue.

Only played with a few ladies (Shaz on here included) and she was off the tee and walking by the time I got near the tees from memory, as are other ladies at our club.

Ferrins
17th February 2020, 11:25 AM
The next issue will be damaging the ladies tee if blokes choose that option.

Ferrins
17th February 2020, 11:29 AM
Col Swanton used to make the top juniors play two balls combined score off Black and red tees back in the Kooralbyn International School days.

Matt 3 Jab
17th February 2020, 11:30 AM
Col Swanton used to make the top juniors play two balls combined score off Black and red tees back in the Kooralbyn International School days.Heard someone recently say that an old coach of theirs used to make the better players hit off the Reds to try and shoot a low score, and the pressure of shooting say 65 coming into the last few holes was a good test to shoot low and hold their nerve

Hatchman
17th February 2020, 03:17 PM
Playing Hand Bag Derby (Off the Reds) makes you really think about where your lines are especially on the dog leg holes. The trap is taking everything on :lol:.

Grumpy8
20th February 2020, 08:42 PM
Sure, but that doesn't give you the right to be completely clueless.When are you going to be Captain and get the ship sailing correctly? You will be pleased to know I have been invited onto the West Gippsland golf committee , will be elected / inducted on Monday night at the AGM

BUSHY
21st February 2020, 01:46 PM
You will be pleased to know I have been invited onto the West Gippsland golf committee , will be elected / inducted on Monday night at the AGM

I chuckled...

3oneday
22nd February 2020, 12:11 AM
You are kidding surely?

I play golf with female members all the time (who play off different tees) and it has never even been close to an issue.nope, what’s never been close to an issue, the fact that it isn’t slow or you actively encourage them to wander off and actually be ready to hit?

3oneday
22nd February 2020, 12:13 AM
You will be pleased to know I have been invited onto the West Gippsland golf committee , will be elected / inducted on Monday night at the AGMhow many clubs have you been a member of now?

Grumpy8
22nd February 2020, 06:24 PM
how many clubs have you been a member of now? Scone twice , Armidale , Narrabri, windaroo , Townsville twice , the willows emerald, Olinda twice , keysborough ,beaconhills , Warragul twice . Think that’s it , paid up member of Townsville the first time for nearly 10 yrs and played less than 10 games , my cap was 10 and it never moved

flathook
22nd February 2020, 06:34 PM
how many clubs have you been a member of now?
Invited is code for no one else to choose from!!!!!

Grumpy8
22nd February 2020, 09:13 PM
Invited is code for no one else to choose from!!!!! Almost correct ,new position on the committee, had to go thru an interview process , not many interested so not many interviews, I put my hand up as I am interested in the position. , if no one was suitable position would have remained vacant

flathook
24th February 2020, 02:55 PM
Almost correct ,new position on the committee, had to go thru an interview process , not many interested so not many interviews, I put my hand up as I am interested in the position. , if no one was suitable position would have remained vacant
Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. Just being a bit facetious.
It's a shame there aren't more people taking on these roles and I wish you all the best.
If I may express an opinion and I have no experience of your district. I rarely see the districts with a program for new golfers. Not just a beginners clinic but a complete pathway to regular golf. Golf can be very intimidating for non golfers. Dress standards, cost of equipment, pressure to play quickly etc.

Grumpy8
25th February 2020, 09:11 AM
Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. Just being a bit facetious. It's a shame there aren't more people taking on these roles and I wish you all the best.If I may express an opinion and I have no experience of your district. I rarely see the districts with a program for new golfers. Not just a beginners clinic but a complete pathway to regular golf. Golf can be very intimidating for non golfers. Dress standards, cost of equipment, pressure to play quickly etc. My original post was being cheeky , couldn’t agree more re pathways , my role is to encourage / help clubs run clinics / programs. First thing they will be told is no use doing a program if you don’t have a pathway mapped out . Start at the end point you want to achieve then work backwards. Then they will be told to make it fun

flathook
25th February 2020, 04:30 PM
My original post was being cheeky , couldn’t agree more re pathways , my role is to encourage / help clubs run clinics / programs. First thing they will be told is no use doing a program if you don’t have a pathway mapped out . Start at the end point you want to achieve then work backwards. Then they will be told to make it fun
Awesome. Good luck.

Hatchman
25th February 2020, 04:56 PM
First game Sunday since the new system kicked in.
Paid my money.
Got a Card with a number on it.
Played the round.
Got to records some scores on some holes.
Handed card in.
Didn't notice anything different.

LeftyHoges
27th February 2020, 10:08 AM
VIC Champs was interesting, I got to play off 5 and I also got to play off 1, all in the space of 7 days.

I'm not sold on the SCR ratings being the main determining factor. Cobden is not 3 shots easier than Warrnambool to me, and I feel the lower markers get punished a little harder than the longer markers, but that's just a personal opinion.

Anyway, it is what it is, and I don't have any powers to change it, so my only options are suck it up and play golf, or quit.

I'll let you know which way I decide....

thecollective
27th February 2020, 10:14 AM
First game Sunday since the new system kicked in.
Paid my money.
Got a Card with a number on it.
Played the round.
Got to records some scores on some holes.
Handed card in.
Didn't notice anything different.

I haven't played a scoring round since the new system but I share the same opinion

In fact im moving to a 'don't know / don't care' ignorance where I will simply turn up, be given a card with a number on it and play

I have already deleted both the Handicap and GL apps on my phone; like Facebook might take a while to wean off of it but will be better and more enjoyable in the long term

Bigbad
27th February 2020, 10:33 AM
I haven't played a scoring round since the new system but I share the same opinion

In fact im moving to a 'don't know / don't care' ignorance where I will simply turn up, be given a card with a number on it and play

I have already deleted both the Handicap and GL apps on my phone; like Facebook might take a while to wean off of it but will be better and more enjoyable in the long term

Plus 1 on this mode of thinking. I've still got the HandyCap app on my phone, but most of the time I forget it's there. I essentially play stroke every time I'm out on the course, so the card is just where I write my scores after each hole, couldn't care less about the number up top.

Dotty
27th February 2020, 11:03 AM
Ditto.

Off 9 at Portland, then next game with same GA and off 13 at Newcastle.

The new system was cloned on the Visa rewards model, with the more you spend the more points you get.

WBennett
27th February 2020, 12:48 PM
Under the new system, I have finally made it as a scratch marker.

I have also played off 8.

Turn up, play golf, write numbers on the card, have beer, go home.

Easy.

Captain Nemo
27th February 2020, 06:32 PM
Under the new system, I have finally made it as a scratch marker.

I have also played off 8.

Turn up, play golf, write numbers on the card, have beer, go home.

Easy.
But you’re a playa......

WBennett
18th September 2022, 09:21 PM
So we just had the GLGC Open. It was wet, windy and wild and the hardest conditions I have played a tournament in. Subsequently the daily difficulty was +3 each day.

Can it go higher than that?

Daves
18th September 2022, 09:35 PM
So we just had the GLGC Open. It was wet, windy and wild and the hardest conditions I have played a tournament in. Subsequently the daily difficulty was +3 each day.

Can it go higher than that?

Nope. - 1 to +3 is the max allowable range for the PCC. See Item 14;

https://www.golf.org.au/whs/

bdoug10
25th September 2022, 06:45 PM
Does anyone know what -1 in green on gross differential means? Mate had a super round yesterday played 7 shots under his handicap now all rounds show -1 in that column

AndyP
25th September 2022, 06:54 PM
Does anyone know what -1 in green on gross differential means? Mate had a super round yesterday played 7 shots under his handicap now all rounds show -1 in that column
It is likely a "Bonus reduction for exceptional net score"
World Handicap System (WHS) - Golf Australia
(https://www.golf.org.au/whs/)

GOLF Link will apply an automatic additional reduction to a player’s GA Handicap if they have an ‘exceptional score’.
If the player’s score is 7.0 - 9.9 strokes better than what their GA Handicap was at the time the round was played then GOLF Link will apply an automatic additional reduction of 1.0 strokes to their GA Handicap. If the player’s score is at least 10.0 strokes better than what their GA Handicap was at the time the round was played, then GOLF Link will apply an automatic additional reduction of 2.0 strokes to their GA Handicap.
To establish whether a score is exceptional, GOLF Link will compare the player’s GA Handicap at the time the round was played with the number in the ‘Score Differential’ column for that round. (The ‘Score Differential’ column is one of the columns that is displayed in a player’s handicap record on www.golf.org.au (http://www.golf.org.au).)

A reduction for an exceptional score is applied by adjusting each of the most recent 20 ‘Score Differentials’ in the player’s handicap record, which includes the ‘Score Differential’ for the exceptional score round. As a result, the impact of the reduction will remain after the next score is submitted, but it will dilute over time as new scores are submitted.

WBennett
25th September 2022, 07:03 PM
You shoot the lights out, you pay for it for 20 rounds.Smart players pull on the Mareeba Handbrake at 42 points

markTHEblake
25th September 2022, 08:56 PM
It is likely a "Bonus reduction for exceptional net score" World Handicap System (WHS) - Golf Australia (https://www.golf.org.au/whs/)
[/LIST]
wow. My double on 16( mareeba handbrake) paid off then. Was right on the number.

AndyP
25th September 2022, 10:26 PM
wow. My double on 16( mareeba handbrake) paid off then. Was right on the number.It was pretty suss. As if a player of your level would go across the green from a bunker, not once, but twice on the same hole.

markTHEblake
25th September 2022, 11:03 PM
It takes skill to hit a ball from a bunker to another bunker. Its a much smaller target than a green.

goughy
26th September 2022, 06:42 AM
I thought all it took was fate? I mean, how often do you see someone go from fairway bunker to greenside bunker?

Johnny Canuck
27th September 2022, 10:28 AM
It was pretty suss. As if a player of your level would go across the green from a bunker, not once, but twice on the same hole.

Definitely suss. Hadn’t come close to playing any shots like that all day.

PeteyD
27th September 2022, 02:14 PM
On 16? Seriously?

markTHEblake
27th September 2022, 02:36 PM
Hey! At least i didnt take 12 shots from the bushes, pick up and say "gimme a 10"

I told Andy not to go looking for it. Kevin Na's record was in danger. To be honest, if Andy didnt pick up, i think he still would have been there.

Daves
27th September 2022, 03:27 PM
Hey! At least i didnt take 12 shots from the bushes, pick up and say "gimme a 10"

I told Andy not to go looking for it. Kevin Na's record was in danger. To be honest, if Andy didnt pick up, i think he still would have been there.

Still nowhere near the Ozgolf record of a 37* on a par 3.

* it was recorded as 37 because we lost count at that point.

Ferrins
27th September 2022, 04:30 PM
To be fair there was a stiff crosswind.

AndyP
27th September 2022, 05:59 PM

Deflection and fake news. My shot count was at 6 when I picked up, plus an impending penalty shot if I wanted to drop and hit again. I picked up because I had spent enough time on that hole (and JC looking for balls), and really couldn't see a good option to get out of the situation, plus the card was already trashed.

Drive
Pulled approach into the trees/long grass with a restricted backswing.
Attempted out, which drove it deeper into the grass.
Attempted out, which hit a tree a few metres in front and disappeared into the grass never to be seen again (even though JC saw where it dropped)
Drop
Attempted out, that was less successful than the last one and also disappeared.
In hindsight, there was an option to go 30m further back to a path, then play along it, then hopefully get a shot into the green after that. Meh!

Johnny Canuck
27th September 2022, 07:48 PM
Deflection and fake news. My shot count was at 6 when I picked up, plus an impending penalty shot if I wanted to drop and hit again. I picked up because I had spent enough time on that hole (and JC looking for balls), and really couldn't see a good option to get out of the situation, plus the card was already trashed.

Drive
Pulled approach into the trees/long grass with a restricted backswing.
Attempted out, which drove it deeper into the grass.
Attempted out, which hit a tree a few metres in front and disappeared into the grass never to be seen again (even though JC saw where it dropped)
Drop
Attempted out, that was less successful than the last one and also disappeared.
In hindsight, there was an option to go 30m further back to a path, then play along it, then hopefully get a shot into the green after that. Meh!

I was standing metres from where the last two dropped, saw the exact spot and still couldn’t find them. That was some serious kack.

markTHEblake
27th September 2022, 07:52 PM
There was a moment when Andy appeared to find his ball and then couldnt find his clubs.

markTHEblake
18th January 2023, 09:27 PM
I keep forgetting to ask our handicapper when i am at the club, but some here will know. If a round at an away club was submitted twice, can my home club fix it, or does the away club have to fix their own mistake.

stevem109r
19th January 2023, 09:29 AM
I keep forgetting to ask our handicapper when i am at the club, but some here will know. If a round at an away club was submitted twice, can my home club fix it, or does the away club have to fix their own mistake.

I had this happen to me, I sent GA an email and they fixed it. Only took a day or two