PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a classic or modern golf swing

Ferrins
7th January 2020, 06:07 AM
I want the modern swing fundamentals but it's core strength and flexibility requirements cause me to struggle with it. End up writing checks that the body can't honour.

benno_r
7th January 2020, 06:53 AM
I think mine falls into the category of "Dog's breakfast".

Ferrins
7th January 2020, 07:39 AM
with all the trimmings.

thecollective
7th January 2020, 07:40 AM
I have a fat man swing and hit it further than you Ferret.

Maybe you need to start laying into the burgers, more fat more power

Grumpy8
7th January 2020, 09:23 AM
I was told the other day I have a simple and compact swing , whatever that means . Personally I think I am like TC and have a fat mans swing. When I get it moving in the right direction I get it out far enough for a 62 yr old . Mind and body don’t match up as well as they did when I was 26

BobsYourUncle
7th January 2020, 09:34 AM
The difference is whether the swing is arm-driven or leg-driven, right? I guess that means I have a classic swing, although I'm trying to get my legs more involved (particularly my lead leg at the start of the downswing).

Toolish
7th January 2020, 01:27 PM
Not exactly sure what the difference is to be honest.

I would guess I am more modern than traditional but the comment about strength and flexibility confuses me as I have neither.

Peppas
7th January 2020, 01:30 PM
Ferret you've let Jono into your head... you'll never beat him in matchplay again.

Minor_Threat
7th January 2020, 01:37 PM
I would say mine is classical, basically because it hasn't changed in 25 years. No idea what the definition of each is though?

benno_r
7th January 2020, 01:41 PM
Ferret you've let Jono into your head... you'll never beat him in matchplay again.Ferret should challenge him for lunch, that will get him an easy W.

Coopers Country
7th January 2020, 02:50 PM
Mine used to have a fair bit of leg drive when I was younger but smashing both ankles when I was 19 and having a handful of steel thrown in both of them took away most of that , so probably mostly arms now with a bit of rotation . I have no idea what you would call it apart from crappy most of the time

Just don’t ask Ferrins to an omelette challenge at RA

okitoki
7th January 2020, 04:08 PM
my dad taught me how to golf when I was a kid, and he picked them up from reading different 80s golf books...
the swing seems to be concentrate on the hip and shoulder turn leading with the left arm. so not sure if that was the "classical" swing.

Courty
7th January 2020, 04:24 PM
I have a shit swing.

Dotty
7th January 2020, 05:27 PM
Virge said I had a musical swing … The lower body moves like Elvis Presley and the upper body like Stevie Wonder.

Ferrins
7th January 2020, 05:53 PM
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/golfswingexperts.com/modern-golf-swing-fundamentals-golf-swing-has-evolved-big-time/amp/

Daves
7th January 2020, 06:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QABX5VTLkzo

Ferrins
7th January 2020, 06:23 PM
Yer that one.
Was having a good at it today and Charlie Earp chipped in that I was coming over the top on a few shots.

3Puttpete
7th January 2020, 06:40 PM
Mine’s a modern classic

thecollective
7th January 2020, 06:47 PM
Yer that one.
Was having a good at it today and Charlie Earp chipped in that I was coming over the top on a few shots.

Vast majority of club golfers come over the top. James Nitties and Craig Parry made a career out of it

Ferrins
7th January 2020, 06:49 PM
Just got to show God the time

markTHEblake
8th January 2020, 08:34 PM
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/golfswingexperts.com/modern-golf-swing-fundamentals-golf-swing-has-evolved-big-time/amp/ I can't see much in that article about the differences, it mostly talks about basic fundamentals that have been around forever. This article seems to be more about creating content to attract website hits rather than saying anything really meaningfull.I do agree that there is a modern golf swing that is exemplified by the likes of Rory McIlroy that's more so because they are so fit and strong and athletic.it's just not practical to try to copy them. So yeah, what Chris said.

flathook
10th January 2020, 04:08 PM
Bobby Jones: Clubs were whippy and the game was played along the ground. He had to lift his left heel and move his legs to stay with the club or he would overpower it.
Snead, Hogan, Nelson: They were probably copying Jones to some extent but the steel shafted clubs became a bit stiffer so they could be more stable and aggressive. Game still largely played along the ground.
Nicklaus: You can almost see the transition from a ground game to an aerial game in his golf swing changes. As most kids do he started with a reverse C trying to lift the ball. Became more neutral in his 20's. (One of the best swings ever). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLkWo_gTNN0 And ended up with a bit of a reverse C.
Watson, Norman, Seve, Miller: Reverse C. Trying to hit it high with clubs and balls that are designed to go low. A lot more water carries and lush conditions encouraged an aerial game.
Tiger: Clubs and balls started making it easier to hit it in the air so he didn't have to lift and clubs were stronger so he could keep a solid base and spin as hard as possible. (The second swing at 43 seconds is probably the best modern swing ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeJIsk0_dD0 . If only he had stayed out of the gym and not had any lessons he might have won 40 majors) Even looking at the first swing in the video he was already overcoached before he turned pro.
Today: Clubs are really light and stiff. Less body movement and more flicking with hands and arms. Dustin Johnson. The new equipment has made the game a lot easier for juniors, women and old people but more difficult for big blokes who would like to use their mass. Interesting how many tour pro's have shorter heavier specs than you can buy off the shelf or find in an amateurs clubfit.
I grew up heaving persimmon and steel and have hated the light clubs and positive angle of attack. :(

Toxic
10th January 2020, 05:52 PM
Modern,
I'm a crusher not a flusher

Shreko
13th January 2020, 04:05 PM
My swing is more lumberjack with large axe

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5bIUmSslEba1TWScJrMKYoTvRmAF4y 7PZtXf5VWGfYwuG95YF&s

wazamac
14th January 2020, 07:47 AM
Style changes with every swing.
So who f***ing knows?

Hatchman
14th January 2020, 11:08 AM
Rusty gate swing here.
No idea what classic or modern really is and have no interest in reading/watching hours of stuff to pigeon hole myself.

Ferrins
14th January 2020, 06:06 PM
3D gears & Athletic Motion Golf is where I'm at atm.

mrbluu
14th January 2020, 07:42 PM
Ferret should challenge him for lunch, that will get him an easy W.What if they both play Peppas for lunch??[emoji16]

Coopers Country
14th January 2020, 11:23 PM
No contest for kitcheners he punches well above his weight when it comes to eating

Bigbad
27th February 2020, 09:40 PM
I don't know what mine is, I just swing and try hit it half decent.
https://youtu.be/BK1RWMUb5Zg

Kelsey86
28th February 2020, 05:42 AM
No idea. One that slices woods with an open club face but somehow hits irons straight.

Ferrins
29th February 2020, 07:42 AM
Had three attempts at the modern swing.
1st putt me out for 2 months with a strained back
2nd got me on the leading knee
3rd being now is a strained groin and I'm struggling to even walk.

Writing checks that my soft body can't honour.

BUSHY
1st March 2020, 07:42 AM
Had three attempts at the modern swing.
1st putt me out for 2 months with a strained back
2nd got me on the leading knee
3rd being now is a strained groin and I'm struggling to even walk.

Writing checks that my soft body can't honour.

I read this when trying to overcome some of my physical limitations. There’s some good stuff in terms of protecting your back. I’d say it’s ALL classic too. These days I’m a Brad Hughes disciple though.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200229/a905741b5e555f7f4f6be6743738b46d.jpg