PDA

View Full Version : Social Lawn Bowls

AndyP
23rd August 2006, 08:56 PM
Today, my work team went to Methyr Bowls Club for lunch and some bowling, and I had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. It was actually the first time that I have had a social bowling get together, and I am looking forward to doing it again.

Now that the bowls clubs realise that they can't rely on the old fogies to bring the money in, they seem quite open to social stuff and it's not just the inner city clubs.
I might look into getting some mates together for an evening or afternoon at a local club, as it's something the missus should enjoy too.

I'm sure plenty of you have had the chance to do this. Do tell.

Jarro
23rd August 2006, 08:57 PM
I can't remember the last time i tried lawn bowls ..... i got too pissed :p

AndyP
23rd August 2006, 09:00 PM
Well, yes, alcohol was involved. The glass was never too far from the hand, but gee it was annoying when I left the beer up the other end.

Grunt
23rd August 2006, 09:00 PM
have done this a few times and it turns out ot be a great day/night

Jarro
23rd August 2006, 09:01 PM
AndyP, the rules of social bowls are very clear ..... 1 pot of beer PER END !!!

Grunt
23rd August 2006, 09:03 PM
Not Pot, Schooner

Ducky
23rd August 2006, 09:19 PM
I've been working on a 'tumbler' bowl that I am going to unleash when I hit 60 years old. Look out senior citizens!

Moe Norman
23rd August 2006, 09:51 PM
AP, theres one a few blocks from me.

The brother in Law and I joined about 6 months ago as social players and go down for a few beers and a bowl at least once a month - its great!

Courty
23rd August 2006, 10:05 PM
Only done it once, but had an absolute ball.

Fishman Dan
24th August 2006, 07:30 AM
Barefoot bowls is huge in Sydney too. It's a well spent afternoon, and most clubs put on a bbq for the event.

poidda
24th August 2006, 08:26 AM
It's another great sport easy to gamble your mates outta their hard earned $$$$$.

Do the only have the social play on saturdays in Brisbane?

AndyP
24th August 2006, 08:33 AM
They definitely have it during the week.

peter_rs
24th August 2006, 08:46 AM
They do it sunday its like $25 for lunch and the bowls. With the beer prices its great.

Plus it a short walk around the river home.