PDA

View Full Version : increase prominence of Ozgolf.net in google search results

Rusty
23rd August 2006, 01:38 PM
hey, excellent job on the forums and maintenance.

i'd like to help to spread the coverage to more potential users of the forums.

until yesterday i didn't know about this site. i'd done some google searches without any luck.

- for "golf forum" + "pages from Australia", and Ozgolf.net not found on the first 6 pages (didn't look further). same with "social golf forum/s".

- and for "golf forum Australia" + "the web", and Ozgolf.net not found on the first 6 pages either (usually i only go to 3 tops)

i only found about the forum after being told its actual addres by BrisWesty ("oz golf forum" & "oz golf net" searches don't seem to bring up the site either).

so i thought there must be others out there that have done these searches and not found out about the forum. can this be changed so that the forum is more prominent in the search results? i think a quick fix, is to have some keywords eg. golf, forum, Australia, prominent on the first page of the site (rather than in banners).

see also http://www.thmg.com/trafficbuilding/45729.php

i just want to spread the word of the Ozgolf.net forum

Flowergirl
23rd August 2006, 04:10 PM
Sshhhhh - we're really a secret society.WE're pretty fussy who we allow to join. :shock: ;-) ( don't mind me really - I "m a bit frisky after a half good game of golf)

AndyP
23rd August 2006, 06:40 PM
There are plenty of key words in the metatags. It's something that is on my todo list, but we seem to be doing pretty well via word of mouth anyway.

Ducky
23rd August 2006, 08:09 PM
Andy has a long and distinguished 'to-do' list. Y2K compliance is next on the list...

;)

AndyP
23rd August 2006, 08:45 PM
Are you volunteering, Ducky? Oh wait, you're on my never to be a moderator/admin list.......

I can show you the todo list if you want. I keep it in the Admin Area forum.

Ducky
23rd August 2006, 08:56 PM
But that would assume I'm interested?

;)

markTHEblake
23rd August 2006, 09:09 PM
i think a quick fix, is to have some keywords eg. golf, forum, Australia, prominent on the first page of the site (rather than in banners).

Actually thats what Google says not to do.

http://www.google.com.au/webmasters/

Things to Avoid
Don't fill your page with lists of keywords, attempt to "cloak" pages, or put up "crawler only" pages. If your site contains pages, links, or text that you don't intend visitors to see, Google considers those links and pages deceptive and may ignore your site.