PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Comparison

scratchoz
25th November 2019, 08:26 PM
Fitting and Club Making Gurus, please help me

I am in the market for an updated driver - currently using a Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree with a Miyazaki Kosuma Indigo 8x shaft with the following specs: 44.5 inch, 86g, 2.6 torque (built by The Golf Doctor who has no more of these available right now)

I have tried the new Titleist Drivers and find that the TS4 works very well with my existing shaft but of course, they won't sell you just the club head, needs to a full club. The demo shafts are all lighter and S flex so not suitable

My club had fitting day which was fully booked out within 15 mins of being advertised so I missed out and the only other fitting day within half a days drive I also fully booked out. No retailer carries the full suite of shafts so a visit to Drummond, Golf Mart, Power Golf in Sydney is pointless for both them and I.

Question is, of the shafts available from Titleist, can anyone give me guidance on which to choose out of the following or suggest something else that's on the Titleist shaft list:

Aldila RIP a 80 - X Flex, 88g, 2.0 torque
Aldila Rogue Black 80 - X Flex, 86g, 2.6 torque (went from the old 76g version of this shaft to my current)

Thanks

spanner039
25th November 2019, 08:56 PM
Dotty might chime in I’m sure he has similar specs

benno_r
25th November 2019, 09:08 PM
Fitting and Club Making Gurus, please help me

I am in the market for an updated driver - currently using a Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree with a Miyazaki Kosuma Indigo 8x shaft with the following specs: 44.5 inch, 86g, 2.6 torque (built by The Golf Doctor who has no more of these available right now)

I have tried the new Titleist Drivers and find that the TS4 works very well with my existing shaft but of course, they won't sell you just the club head, needs to a full club. The demo shafts are all lighter and S flex so not suitable

My club had fitting day which was fully booked out within 15 mins of being advertised so I missed out and the only other fitting day within half a days drive I also fully booked out. No retailer carries the full suite of shafts so a visit to Drummond, Golf Mart, Power Golf in Sydney is pointless for both them and I.

Question is, of the shafts available from Titleist, can anyone give me guidance on which to choose out of the following or suggest something else that's on the Titleist shaft list:

Aldila RIP a 80 - X Flex, 88g, 2.0 torque
Aldila Rogue Black 80 - X Flex, 86g, 2.6 torque (went from the old 76g version of this shaft to my current)

ThanksJust get the one you can flip for the most profit, and use your old one.

Dotty
25th November 2019, 10:08 PM
Dotty might chime in I’m sure he has similar specs
If I taped two driver shafts together, it would be close to 88g.

perci
25th November 2019, 10:29 PM
If I taped two driver shafts together, it would be close to 88g.

Lead Tape ?

scratchoz
26th November 2019, 07:55 PM
Just get the one you can flip for the most profit, and use your old one.

Definitely a consideration if there's nothing better that I can find

scratchoz
1st December 2019, 12:42 PM
Further on this, has anyone got any feedback on the Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted driver shaft in 6.5 flex 75g? Have had the chance to hit some balls with it and it seems ok but no fitting numbers

Stuart
1st December 2019, 06:47 PM
Further on this, has anyone got any feedback on the Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted driver shaft in 6.5 flex 75g? Have had the chance to hit some balls with it and it seems ok but no fitting numbers

love it - great shaft. Started with the 65g and later switched to the 75. Better control and no loss of distance.

scratchoz
1st December 2019, 11:57 PM
love it - great shaft. Started with the 65g and later switched to the 75. Better control and no loss of distance.

Thanks - it felt very solid and the ball flight was great but range balls are designed to stay low. I'm thinking of ordering as a Xmas present for myself

rickie prowler
9th December 2019, 06:01 PM
What's your swing speed? By the looks of it the Hzdrus green might be more in your line!

scratchoz
11th December 2019, 12:08 AM
What's your swing speed? By the looks of it the Hzdrus green might be more in your line!

Indoor numbers with my current driver ranges from 109-113mph depending on the day and carry is around the 230m mark but spinning at 3100-3200. The TS4 head with my current shaft indoor is indicating 240m carry with 2400-2500 spin.

Given that I have this improvement and also have a Aldila Rogue X stiff 78g and a GD AD-DI 8X 80g, have ordered with the Aldila RIP a 80X based on discussing with a Titleist staff member. The $285 upcharge for the Hzrdus Handcrafted Yellow isn't going to deliver any more improvement

Now to play the waiting game as it's a USA custom order

Captain Nemo
11th December 2019, 07:06 AM
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TITLEIST-TS4-DRIVER-9-5-DEGREE-HEAD-ONLY-DEAD-MINT-CONDITION-9-9-10/274127288820?hash=item3fd34279f4:g:7nIAAOSw2Xdd59h H

a (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TITLEIST-TS4-DRIVER-9-5-DEGREE-HEAD-ONLY-DEAD-MINT-CONDITION-9-9-10/274127288820?hash=item3fd34279f4:g:7nIAAOSw2Xdd59h H)nd use your current shaft!

JADO75
12th December 2019, 07:32 PM
There’s hardly any difference between the handcrafted & non handcrafted

3oneday
13th December 2019, 10:17 PM
There’s hardly any difference between the handcrafted & non handcraftedits just a hand job?

scratchoz
14th December 2019, 11:09 PM
There’s hardly any difference between the handcrafted & non handcrafted

Having hit them both, I can categorically say there is a substantial difference. Handcrafted is much more stable and consistent

Stuart
15th December 2019, 08:05 AM
Having hit them both, I can categorically say there is a substantial difference. Handcrafted is much more stable and consistent

Interesting - I have heard players reporting both that there is no difference through to a substantial difference.

My personal experience, having tried a number of different ones, is that the handcrafted ones are very consistent in performance compared to each other. The non-hand crafted version CAN feel identical, but I also tried one that felt quite different. My take is that if you can try a non-handcrafted version and are happy with it, save your money and take it. But if you are ordering and cannot actually try it first, it becomes more of a crap-shoot.

Edit: It should also be noted that some players are much more 'shaft sensitive' than others. If you are not generally sensitive, go with the cheaper option. But if you know the feel you are after, it might be worthwhile making sure you get exactly what you want.