PDA

View Full Version : Qld: Coal City Cup, Sandy Gallop, Sat/Sun 26-27 October, 6:28a/10:28a.

AndyP
17th October 2019, 08:32 PM
On my mission to play different courses at the moment, and with Sandy Gallop on my list as something that I have never played, this event came into my radar. Although the reports of the course aren't fantastic, every course is worth playing once, isn't it? And why not get a little crazy and play it twice in a weekend? And at $20 each day including a burger, how could you go wrong (except for food poisoning)?

Soooo, do I have any playing partners? Timesheet comes out on Saturday apparently, and I'd aim for a tee time between 7-8a, if I could.

3Puttpete
17th October 2019, 09:24 PM
Yep. I’ll do it

AndyP
17th October 2019, 09:55 PM
Yep. I’ll do it
You idiot!

3Puttpete
17th October 2019, 10:06 PM
You idiot!

Well derrr

markTHEblake
17th October 2019, 11:06 PM
On my mission to play different courses at the moment, and with Sandy Gallop on my list as something that I have never played, this event came into my radar. Although the reports of the course aren't fantastic, every course is worth playing once, isn't it?
I should play this, as its soon to be Helensvale's sister club (same lessor ). From all accounts Brett Lawton the lessor of Sandy Gallop gets really good reports that he runs a fantastic club.

So I think you should definitely play, but I am busy, otherwise I would too

Sookie1
18th October 2019, 02:53 PM
I should play this, as its soon to be Helensvale's sister club (same lessor ). From all accounts Brett Lawton the lessor of Sandy Gallop gets really good reports that he runs a fantastic club. So I think you should definitely play, but I am busy, otherwise I would too Love to know where you heard this. Is the first time he has been refered to like that. Course is a bit rough like everywhere but their greens were good a couple of weeks ago. Fast and firm but not receptive ro good wedge shots. Leave driver at home and you wont find too much trouble. Back nine is way hillier than the front.

AndyP
18th October 2019, 02:53 PM
I haven't played Helensvale either, so when it does re-open, I'll be up for a hit there.

3pp, I just called the club for some more details. Visitors cannot put their name down in the Saturday morning field (6a-7:45a) until the day before, which would leave the afternoon field (10:30a-12:30p) available to us when the timesheet comes out tomorrow. However, we should still have access to any time available on the Sunday timesheet. That said, there is no requirement to play both days; payments are accepted for each day separately.

So, we can do either Sat arvo / Sun, if you still want to play both days, or just do the Sunday morning? What do you prefer?

3Puttpete
18th October 2019, 03:14 PM
I’d prefer both days but am happy with anything.

AndyP
18th October 2019, 03:56 PM
Okay. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what I can get for both days.

AndyP
19th October 2019, 09:26 AM
I grabbed as early as I could for both days, which isn't very early.....

Saturday, 10:49a, 10th Tee
Sunday, 10:28a, 10th Tee

I can always give them another call on Friday to see what is available earlier.

3Puttpete
19th October 2019, 01:22 PM
I grabbed as early as I could for both days, which isn't very early.....

Saturday, 10:49a, 10th Tee
Sunday, 10:28a, 10th Tee

I can always give them another call on Friday to see what is available earlier.

At least it’s a bit of a sleep in. Cheers

AndyP
19th October 2019, 03:42 PM
At least it’s a bit of a sleep in. Cheers
I find the midday rounds a bit annoying, because I never know what to do with myself for the first half of the day.

I just remembered after I booked that our bathroom renovations start next weekend, so I'm going to have to wear some dirty looks from my FIL as he pulls the current bathrooms apart and I head off to golf. Oops!

3Puttpete
24th October 2019, 10:13 AM
This looks like it might difficult due to car trouble. As in, there is no car.

AndyP
24th October 2019, 10:15 AM
Hmmmm, I'm assuming to pick you up, I would be going a fair way in the wrong direction?

3Puttpete
24th October 2019, 10:44 AM
Hmmmm, I'm assuming to pick you up, I would be going a fair way in the wrong direction?

You betcha.

I might be ok but thought I’d better give early warning rather than let you know Saturday morning. I’ll know more later today

AndyP
24th October 2019, 11:17 AM
Thanks.

3Puttpete
24th October 2019, 06:29 PM
I’m out sorry.

AndyP
24th October 2019, 06:37 PM
Thanks.
Bummer! I hope it's not too expensive.

Do you think I will be safe by myself on the west side of Ipswich?

I guess I can try and grab myself an early time now then, so I take part in the renovations.

3Puttpete
24th October 2019, 06:53 PM
Bummer! I hope it's not too expensive.

Do you think I will be safe by myself on the west side of Ipswich?

I guess I can try and grab myself an early time now then, so I take part in the renovations.

Stay away from the craft beer and you should make it out alive

AndyP
24th October 2019, 07:13 PM
Stay away from the craft beer and you should make it out alive
Hell no! Saturday is Independent Beer Day, and a trip to Tap'd in Booval was already locked in.

AndyP
26th October 2019, 10:43 PM
I moved my tee time to 6:30a and a great adventure was had. I felt a little over dressed with board shorts in my group and jeans in the group in front, but I'll know better for next time, whenever that may be. Not tomorrow though, my shoulder is rooted, and I've got a bit too much on now, including jack hammering tiles out of bathrooms.

On the third tee, one of my playing partners, who was in a cart with another, told us that he would be dropping back a few times during the round for some pot, and we may see him with a pipe. At this stage, we had only traded names, so I jokingly further introduced myself as working for the Queensland Police Service in the narcotics department. He claimed that it wouldn't be very much, and then recalled the time that he smashed a whole heap of XXXX Gold cans in a round sharing a cart with another bloke, who dropped him off at his car after the round, and turned out to be a cop. So, I thought he was with me on the joke. As we head towards the green on the 18th hole, he slows down the cart, and says to me:
"Since you work in the narcotics department, I had a question about something that I was curious about"
I replied: "Mate, I don't work for the police, I'm an engineer".
On reflection, I didn't see him drop back at all, and definitely didn't see any pipe. :lol:

Another playing partner was telling me afterwards, that there were some bad reports about playing with these guys. I was okay with them, and didn't find that they affected me. Maybe they were on their best behaviour for me though......

backintheswing
26th October 2019, 11:20 PM
Someone shot 63 off the stick there today. Nice round AP!

AndyP
26th October 2019, 11:27 PM
Someone shot 63 off the stick there today. Nice round AP!
Thanks mate. When your playing partners are drunk, it is easy to doctor your card.

63 is a nice score, but there wouldn't be many holes where they wouldn't be hitting wedge into a green.