PDA

View Full Version : Qld State Election

McCoy
20th August 2006, 12:14 PM
I can accept that Labour will retain power due to their huge majority, even when you consider their total incompetence - health, water, education and Energex. Hey I voted for Michael Choi in the last election.
But I was stunned to read that it looks like Labour will retain Bundaberg http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200608/s1719213.htm
It makes you wonder what needs to happen for people to change their vote.

Matt 3 Jab
20th August 2006, 12:28 PM
in our system, 1 vote does NOT count, u need a big swing, which imo is stupid!
So if your in a safe seat area, bad luck, your stuck with it for a long time, stupid sytem!

goughy
20th August 2006, 01:29 PM
The biggest problem with our state politics is the opposition. They look totally incompetent. And I mean totally. They can't even work out who will be the leader if they won the election. They tried to merge the 2 parties into one and they feel down horribly. I'm surprised beaty didn't call an election when that happened.

Yes labour has stuffed up. But no more than any other political party does. And the opposition can only say 'look what they did mum'.

The way I see it, if you can't run your own parties then how could you run a state. As is the case with many elections these days, it's not voting for who is the best, but for who isn't the worst.

Off topic slightly, send a message to the govt by voting informally. Many years ago in our council elections for mayor, there were 2 people running. The ever present clive berghofer, and some one else. Clive won easily, and the other guy came third. He was just beaten by the informal vote which I believe was something like 13000. No wonder I can't remember his name, he dissapeared after that one.

Moe Norman
20th August 2006, 02:05 PM
Yes labour has stuffed up. But no more than any other political party does. I think you'll find its one of the poorest terms of political leadership in recent memory. It's staggering that he will win again, but I fully understand why all the swinging voters wouldn't want the opposition in power. They are potentially more incompetent than Beattie and his mates. No wonder QLD is the laughing stock of the country :(

markTHEblake
20th August 2006, 05:19 PM
I dont know who is more incompetent. I got a letter from both labour and liberal candidates that said "an election has been called and if you cant vote on polling day, here is a postal vote form" but neither told me the date.

how the hell am i supposed to know if i am not available to vote if they dont tell me the date.

yes i do live in a cave, cos i dont know when the date is, but you would think the moron candidates would know more than me.

AndyP
20th August 2006, 07:10 PM
Pretty sure, the date is Sept 9.

Bring back Joh, Weekend at Burnie's style.

terryand
20th August 2006, 07:53 PM
Pretty sure, the date is Sept 9.

Bring back Joh, Weekend at Burnie's style.

He'd do a better job than any of the current idiots :oops:

Terry.

leighthebee
21st August 2006, 05:17 PM
well. I've been brought up conservative, yet what morons the opposition are.

Beattie government for me.

The Spence backflip on the Gold Coast Liner Terminal was hilarious. Talking up the thousands dollars spent by tourists off the ships, then the survey comes saying they spend on average $9.00 on postcards.

Do your research people.

Then again, the co-alition would probably aim for a cruise ship terminal in Longreach.

BrisWesty
21st August 2006, 07:02 PM
I guess I'm just tired of Labour screwing everything up, and then Peter Beattie coming in to say, "Look, I'm really sorry, I'll look after it, I'll become the minister responsible for it so I can fix it, so long as all the planets line up, and I win a box trifecta" and then hope we all forget about it.
A day in the life of Premier Pete seems to run something like this. Deny, deny, sorry, backflip, backflip, ironclad guarantee, promise, sorry, "Oh I better do something about that" and then make a declaration without any form of consultation.
Surely the coalition couldn't be worse. Could it?

goughy
21st August 2006, 07:35 PM
That's what worries me. I think they'd be much worse. They barely seem to be able to make sense as the opposition. And I don't think any of them know how to run things.

Scar days in politics; well, every day is really.

markTHEblake
21st August 2006, 10:07 PM
Labour is the mob who tried to introduce a Bill this year to make a major change to RE (Religious Education). They wanted to make it "opt-in" instead of "opt-out" and to broaden the scope to allow the education of a "wider range of beliefs". Another "we dont want to upset anyone" bandwagon.

In other words any lifestyle beleif could be taught in schools, and that means ANY!

Fortunately Labour crashed on that one (though Aussie Democrats seem to be having a crack at it now), as they did with the attempt to remove the exemption Private schools have with Anti_discrimination laws.

There is definitely a shift in govt, particularily Labour to water down australia's christian foundations. That may in be something to do winning the vote of a certain lifestyle group which is likely to influence elections in the near future.

Over to you Damo.
(seriously- am interested in your opinion on the both the proposed bills)

Moe Norman
21st August 2006, 10:13 PM
Westy - I'll be putting in my usual conservative vote. it won;t make a difference. Hell I live in a bluechip seat and its still held by Labour, despite being full of private school snobs like me.

Says something about the quality of opposition

dc68
20th March 2009, 03:15 PM
Hmmmmmm....