PDA

View Full Version : Portable GPS for car

goughy
19th August 2006, 06:52 PM
My FIL is thinking of getting one of these. Wants something he can use in both cars, maybe play mp3's and also something he can use out of the car too.

Who's got the goss?

Matt 3 Jab
20th August 2006, 11:51 AM
only one i have dealt with is the Navman, really good, found me a place to eat, portable, very good, easy to use.

markTHEblake
20th August 2006, 05:15 PM
Does he have Three mobile where he lives?

A Motorola A1000 phone on a $69 cap plan is free.
Pay $120-150 for a Bluetooth GPS receiver
Pay $50 for a 512mb memory card
Pay $600 [cough!] for TomTom Australian maps.

and you have a Phone, PC, Mp3, and Sat nav all in one!

goughy
20th August 2006, 06:20 PM
Too complicated for him. We looked at a garmin c320 today that was pretty much what he was after. Seemed stupid simple. The guy at wow was puching it by saying that it included free map updates for the life of the unit, but when it was reviewed on choice and on garmin's website it seems to indicate that you have to pay for updates. I've sent garmin an email regarding this.

Down the track I'd like to get a setup that I can use with my palmTx. So bluetooth receiver and maps would do it. Garmin's website was about $150ish for aussie maps.

markTHEblake
20th August 2006, 08:15 PM
at a price like $150 I am thinking that would be just highly detailed maps calibrated to GPS co-ordinates (and you can get cheaper - like $90) If your looking for directional software - like tap in an address and follow the directions, I dont think that will be it, they usually cost more than the all inclusive devices.

By the way I have an australian maps and program for a Windows PDA that I no longer need (forgot which one, maybe Navigator).

goughy
20th August 2006, 08:22 PM
That was just hte maps for something like the c320. It seems about 200ish US for bluetooth receiver and something like tom tom navigator 5, which basically turns your pda into a gps unit. Not that I really need it.

The in-laws will do more and more travelling as retirement sets in, especially caravaning. And MIL is the worst for navigating. She dosen't follow maps well etc.

markTHEblake
20th August 2006, 09:13 PM
Thiis is for you not your FIL

There are free maps from here http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/

You can get GPS software like from this mob for $25
http://www.wild-mobile.com/eng/news.php
but i am sure there are free ones as well.

Now you can also go to Google earth, grab a Jpg of your golf course. Import into GPS software, walk out onto the course and calibrate 2 or 3 points. Plot waypoints at centre of greens, bunkers etc, and there you have it - cheap GPS system for you golf course (albeit a little fiddly for actual use)

jaster
21st August 2006, 12:39 AM
WOW Blakey, your not just a pretty face!! Nice work.

goughy
21st August 2006, 07:04 AM
Be able to make a nice course guide from it tho!!

connico
21st August 2006, 08:52 AM
I designed a system for a mate not to long ago...its a bit complicated but here is an alternative

Laptop
GPS reciever
Blakes advice about the GPS software
9'-11' LCD for your car

Hook them all up and you got an entertainment unit and a GPS in your car!!
:P

Or you can just get a PDA with inbuilt GPS, Navman has a few good models...waiting for thier HDD version to come out actually!

goughy
21st August 2006, 07:42 PM
Already using a palm tx. Just would need a receiver and the software/maps that work with the palm. Tom Tom navigator 5 is supposed to be good, but I don't know if it's available in aus. No rush for me anyway.

Grunt
21st August 2006, 07:54 PM
Was tempted to but an antenaa for my Ipaq but you need software too dont you. The costs outweigh the benefits!

goughy
21st August 2006, 08:22 PM
IN my PIL's case, where they are planning on doing lots of driving trips I see the benefits of it. Especially since my MIL is a horrible navigator and map reader.

Personally, it'd be a frivilous toy.

markTHEblake
21st August 2006, 09:43 PM
Was tempted to but an antenaa for my Ipaq but you need software too dont you. The costs outweigh the benefits!

Grunt - see above. Software $25, Maps <$100 - you can also get both for free legally

otherwise you could read a few lines above where i said i have a spare Program for Windows PDA that i dont use, Destinator or Navigator I cant remember, I dont want it, i dont need it..... If anyone wants it PM me.

Tom Tom navigator 5 is supposed to be good, but I don't know if it's available in aus.

Goughy, read again my first post in this thread .....:-D I use TomTom5.

I also managed to Download a whole heap of voices (can make your own if you want) I useMichael Caine, and John Cleese (genuine) is a crack up.

goughy
4th November 2006, 06:02 PM
Any info on where to purchase tomtom navigator 5 in aus. In fact, navigator 6 is out in europe and about to be released in us. Tomtom's website dosen't list pda navigation software as available in aus. It's about $300us for software, maps and a bluetooth gps unit.

Someone on the brighthand forums is using it in aus. I've pm'ed him so I can find out more.

Been thinking of this again lately.

goughy
25th March 2007, 12:36 PM
Well, have tomtom 6 and aussies maps (for version 5) on my pda now. Still need a gps receiver though, say about $120.

markTHEblake
25th March 2007, 01:35 PM
Goughy, i purchased a Navitek one ages ago to use with my Phone, from this seller, but he doesnt seem to have any right now, though he seems to have sold several last week up to today.

maybe he will have more online monday.

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZoodmcooQQhtZ-1

in fact i am going to buy another one of thse for the cook when she starts behaving again.

Brisbane seller and comes with car and usb charger, and $100

goughy
25th March 2007, 03:48 PM
I'll keep my eye's open, although it'll be a little while till I buy one. Was looking at the globalsat and holux receivers. Read lots of good things about the globalsat's, and also the holux although I think some people have probs with the holux.

What kind of battery life do you get out of the navitek? Cause I'm not good at remembering to charge. And our cars cigarette lighter is out of commission (as is my vans).

Looking at it today, and I can plot a trip without the gps, obviously it dosen't tell me when to turn etc, but I don't need a refidex at least.

markTHEblake
25th March 2007, 05:14 PM
What kind of battery life do you get out of the navitek?

ages - honestly i dont think i even charge it monthly. obviously i dont use it everyday but i have used it several times for 3 hour round trips and it lasts.

put it this way, it lasts 10x longer than the phone does....Navigation really sucks the battery