PDA

View Full Version : Anchoring rules

Jono
8th September 2019, 08:23 PM
Apologies if this has already been asked/discussed elsewhere.

Played with a 4 marker today who pitted with a broomstick putter. He putted really well with it and had his left thumb at the butt end of the grip so it wasn’t anchored to his body.

So if this thumb then touches or rests on his chest, then is that illegal?

thecollective
8th September 2019, 08:35 PM

Played with a 4 marker today who pitted with a broomstick putter. He putted really well with it and had his left thumb at the butt end of the grip so it wasn’t anchored to his body.

So if this thumb then touches or rests on his chest, then is that illegal?

Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jono
8th September 2019, 08:43 PM
What if the thumb touches his shirt or vest but not pressing into his chest?

Sydney Hacker
8th September 2019, 08:54 PM
Apologies if this has already been asked/discussed elsewhere.Played with a 4 marker today who pitted with a broomstick putter. He putted really well with it and had his left thumb at the butt end of the grip so it wasn’t anchored to his body.So if this thumb then touches or rests on his chest, then is that illegal?Only if there is intent to anchor... worst worded rule ever

thecollective
8th September 2019, 08:56 PM
What if the thumb touches his shirt or vest but not pressing into his chest?

Then he would be Bernhard Langer - legal according to the PGA

I agree it's a Grey area

damoocow
10th September 2019, 06:18 PM
Happy to be corrected but i dont think the rule mentions intent, i think it says intentionally, in which case i guess you could argue that if the player anchors all the time and you constantly observe them doing that then it is done intentionally...

oldracer
11th September 2019, 01:19 AM
Happy to be corrected but i dont think the rule mentions intent, i think it says intentionally, in which case i guess you could argue that if the player anchors all the time and you constantly observe them doing that then it is done intentionally... 👍👌👌

Shreko
23rd September 2019, 05:18 PM

So if this thumb then touches or rests on his chest, then is that illegal?Easy fix

Ban all putters over 38" then no chance of anchoring

Ban forearm lock putters as well [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-C9000 using Tapatalk

Hatchman
23rd September 2019, 05:26 PM
Easy fix

Ban all putters over 38" then no chance of anchoring

Ban forearm lock putters as well [emoji16]

They should have put a max length on Putters the year the first broomsticks came into the game.

Sent from my SM-C9000 using Tapatalk

They should have put a max length on Putters the year the first broomsticks came into the game.