PDA

View Full Version : Best Callaway 3 wood

jaster
18th August 2006, 03:15 PM
Just been speaking with my father and he is using the 2004 Big Bertha 3 wood and reckons he is now hitting it past his driver. I explained launch angles and the like to him (he is 63 nearly) and the fact the 15* loft would be helping but he tells me the face just feels awesome complared to his 580XD.
So anyway, this got me thinking....out of all the Cally 3 woods over the past 10 years what is the best?

Couples and Allenby still use the S2h2
Goughy is using a Wardbird (from my dad) and striping it
Vijay still has the Steelhead for his 9 wood
I know a few Pros still use the Steelhead Plus
I have hit the Steelhead 3 and thought it was great at a demo day
The GBB2 has great reports
Then there is the GBB 2004 Steel head I guess which is what he uses.

I haven't heard/read much about the X and X Tour 3 woods or the Fusion so if anyone has hit them let me know what you thought. BSG seem to have a lot of love for the X tour 3 wood but I haven't heard anything about the Fusion.

Have fun.

BrisVegas
18th August 2006, 03:24 PM
I still have a Warbird 3+ that I rate as a very handy club off the deck and the tee. In fact, I used it as my driver for a while... RCH96 Firm shaft. Have always wanted to stick a better shaft in it, but it's not worth doing really...

Jarro
18th August 2006, 03:25 PM
the Steelhead Plus model was pretty good

andylo
18th August 2006, 03:44 PM
Steelhead III is the best from all I have tried.

I have tried the good old Warbird, Steelhead, Steelhead Plus, VFT, GBB2, Fusion, X Tour

The X Fairway got the Editor's choice at 2005 but I haven't have a chance to try it (I mean, play a good 18 holes with it) but I am really keen to try one.

Courty
18th August 2006, 04:04 PM
I had a lash with a mate's Fusion 3-wood so I can only comment on one hit (luckily I striped it ;)). It felt very solid, went long, flew straight & true. Compared to the old Steelhead I used to have (loved that club), it was waaaaay better.

Moe Norman
18th August 2006, 04:11 PM
I have the same club Vegas has, awesome club. And same deal - I want to try a new shaft in it, but it's too difficult with the old school bore through.

Michael Campbell has the Steelhead 3 wood in his bag. It's the only bit of old technology he has, so it must be pretty good. He's a pretty pure ballstriker though with the long clubs.

I haven't recently hit a titanium 3 wood that I've liked

goughy
18th August 2006, 09:39 PM
I had a dgs300 put in my warbird recently, and done by middle ridge golf club. If they can do it, then pretty much anyone else can. I don't think it would be that much of a problem.

I think it cost me less than 50bucks with a grip. Probably too much but it is woomba.

Deano
18th August 2006, 10:46 PM
Steelhead 3 seems to always win these things on the US forums from memory.
Original Steelhead though for me.
D

Speirsy11
18th August 2006, 11:24 PM
My vote goes to the original Steelhead. Look on any tour where guys don't get tee up money and LOTS of guys still hit them......

Great club, very long and easy to hit.......

Speirsy11

McMw
18th August 2006, 11:29 PM
GBB2 works great off the tee...not sure it's that good off the deck...