PDA

View Full Version : WDYSTM-August 2019

Courty
4th August 2019, 03:02 PM
Although it's a combination of July/ August, here's a rundown of my scores from the CoC:

Wednesday (Cairns GC) - 28pts... meh
Thursday (Mirage CC) - 28pts... meh
Thursday (Half Moon Bay GC - 9 hole comp) - 18pts
Friday (Cairns GC - CoC Round 1) - 81/76... meh
Saturday (Cairns GC - CoC Round 2) - 81/76... meh
Sunday (Cairns GC - CoC Round 3) - 81/76... meh

Bigbad
6th August 2019, 12:18 PM
Played in a par game at Medway on Sunday. Shot -1 for the day which was pretty good for the most part, definitely left a couple shots out there but overall a decent result as i hate that format. Handicap down to 4.5 now, slowly getting there.

Grumpy8
6th August 2019, 05:30 PM
Tues comp beaconhills today , 18 points front nine, two wipes , no birdie, 20 pts back nine , 8 pars 1 double, won the comp , off 8 next round . Putter was good to me today

backintheswing
6th August 2019, 05:40 PM
37 points, was on the bogey bus 5 thru 8, played the last 10 1 under. New T22 on the way, that should fix the putting woes.

jimandr
7th August 2019, 05:22 PM
Although it's a combination of July/ August, here's a rundown of my scores from the CoC:

Wednesday (Cairns GC) - 28pts... meh
Thursday (Mirage CC) - 28pts... meh
Thursday (Half Moon Bay GC - 9 hole comp) - 18pts
Friday (Cairns GC - CoC Round 1) - 81/76... meh
Saturday (Cairns GC - CoC Round 2) - 81/76... meh
Sunday (Cairns GC - CoC Round 3) - 81/76... meh

Remarkably I had 81 off the stick as well in my 35 point round today.

It was looking like 101 when I was 7 over after 7 and playing badly, but from that point I played quite well.

Ferrins
7th August 2019, 06:15 PM
9 under on 4bbb stroke round to come 15th😳

WBennett
8th August 2019, 08:26 AM
It was looking like a number...

Thankfully rescued by 5 pars around the back - balanced with a triple, a double and a couple of bogies.

Golf is hard at the moment.

Grumpy8
8th August 2019, 06:47 PM
33 pts today , putter not as kind , actually hit the ball better today than Tuesday, silver lining is am back out to 9 , finally getting a couple of things coming right in my swing

BobsYourUncle
10th August 2019, 01:35 PM
34 points. 21 on the front, 13 on the back. Thought I had it all together, then couldn't buy a fairway on the back 9.

NewyMitch
11th August 2019, 11:26 AM
22 points. Hit 2 fairways (tree deflections) and 1 GIR which tells most of the story of the day. The only highlight was the 1 GIR resulted in a birdie.

AndyP
11th August 2019, 01:08 PM
I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on booking my comeback competition round. I got close today, but pennants blocked me at Gailes and Wolston Park, so I gave up. Wednesday might be the day....

I did have a hit at Corinda Pitch 'n Putt yesterday, while my son had his group lesson there. The wind was up, which made things tricky, especially when my gap wedge wasn't enough club into the wind on the longest hole of 63m. I didn't hit anywhere near enough greens, and only managed to break par (3) on a hole once, while taking a 4 five times, across the 18 holes.

It was a good opportunity to practice with the 58* wedge, which I have swapped in for the 54*, to give me some help around the greens. I forgot how much this club pops the ball in the air; this may not be the best move.

benno_r
11th August 2019, 01:47 PM
It was a good opportunity to practice with the 58* wedge, which I have swapped in for the 54*, to give me some help around the greens. I forgot how much this club pops the ball in the air; this may not be the best move.

Super versatile for the 163m knife stinger too!

BUSHY
11th August 2019, 03:29 PM
Haven't posted in here for a while so to catch up....

COC-

Mirage- 29pts
HMB (9holes)- 16pts
Rnd1- 77 (37pts)
Rnd2- 76 (38pts)
Rnd3- 81 (32pts)

Yesterday Stableford - 35pts (77)

Club Champs kick off next weekend, 2x weekends of Sat/Sun. Looking to make the matchplay this year (top 16 in grades).

Captain Nemo
11th August 2019, 04:26 PM
Haven't posted in here for a while so to catch up....

COC-

Mirage- 29pts
HMB (9holes)- 16pts
Rnd1- 77 (37pts)
Rnd2- 76 (38pts)
Rnd3- 81 (32pts)

Yesterday Stableford - 35pts (77)

Club Champs kick off next weekend, 2x weekends of Sat/Sun. Looking to make the matchplay this year (top 16 in grades).
You’ll do it in a canter.....

AndyP
11th August 2019, 06:03 PM
Attempted flop shot knife stinger?

3Puttpete
11th August 2019, 08:45 PM
28. Lost the SBC(IM).

For now.

AJL
12th August 2019, 06:36 PM
88 at Emerald Lakes today. Hit every club other than my driver pretty well, just unfamiliar with the course. Greens felt firm and fast too. Best hole was my double bogey on the 18th. Topped my drive into the water right after the tee mound, decided to re-hit driver again. Flushed it to 110m from the pin. Hit a pitching wedge to 15 feet and 2 putted from there.

83 last Wednesday at Surfers, best round since I been back. Struck the ball well, just chipped and putted atrociously. 36 putts, only got up and down twice. Hit 57% of fairways. 50% GIR and only 2 double bogeys! (That’s good for me).
Memorable shot- hit a 250m 3 wood on the par 5 3rd, and then shanked the next 3 iron straight right into the water that lines the right of the hole, was pretty happy to make double bogey after that. The hole is a long 530m dogleg left with water and OB right and lots of trees left, it’s the only par 5 on the course I haven’t hit in two (poor driving and fairway woods)

BUSHY
13th August 2019, 02:37 PM
You’ll do it in a canter.....

Lots can happen over two weekends. Last year I was inside the top 10 after round 1....

And that was that!

Captain Nemo
13th August 2019, 02:38 PM
Stay off the sauce! ��

AndyP
14th August 2019, 02:40 PM
14/08/2019, Wolston Park Cup (Shotgun Start), Stableford.

I finally played a competition round. Hooray! My last comp round was in January 2018, and the last non-OZgolf related comp round was in May 2017. It was also the first time I have walked a full round on a proper course for over a year. This replaces a round from December 2014, a flag, as one of the twenty for my handicap calculation.

As for the golf, I scrambled well early to keep a good score going, but fell away later in the round. Just not enough fairways or green hit. It's tough when I don't have a consistent miss, as I am missing to both sides, particularly with the driver/3W.

The putter went well though, especially early on when the greens seemed pure. Maybe some of that putting practice that I've had while my son has a golf lesson paid off once I got on some real greens.

The body seems to have held up well, which is very pleasing. I was a little sore mid-round, but then that seemed to dissipate. Hopefully there is no delayed soreness over the next couple of days.

One great full swing knife with the 58* saved by the tree that I was trying to go over. It had potential to go 100+ metres though.

Stats: 27% fairways, 28% greens, 28 putts, 38% scrambling.
Score (http://www.gamegolf.com/player/AndyP/round/2729847) (from 17th): BP BPPXPPXPP BBBPPXB - Gross 42-39-81 (+14); Stab 16-14-30; Par 35/32/67.

Next round: I'd like to play Saturday, since Sunday is out with youth footy, but it might be a bit hard to do with the lad's golf lesson in the middle of the day.

jimandr
14th August 2019, 05:54 PM
A could've been round for me today, for 34 points.

5 over the front with a double and a triple, and 5 over the back with 3x3 putts. Next round will be the one where everything comes together, I hope.

3Puttpete
14th August 2019, 07:32 PM
No wipes!

NewyMitch
15th August 2019, 08:40 PM
A better round today with 31 points. Best outing with the putter for an awfully long time. 28 putts and no 3 putts is a rare occurrence for me. The chipping was back to embarrassing, nothing like taking 3 chips to get onto a green...

jimandr
16th August 2019, 05:16 PM
Next round will be the one where everything comes together, I hope.

For perhaps the first time in recorded history, a prediction of mine has come true.

40 points for me today. 3 over off the stick, with a triple!

The triple needs to be described in full detail. I'm two under after 9, playing well and holing everything under 15 feet. My approach trickles into the greenside bunker, leaving me no more than 30 feet from the hole with an easy bunker shot. Two in the bunker and then 3 putts from 8 feet, and i could feel a full choke coming on.

But I played OK from that point to preserve the one really good round I shoot each year. Good times.

KristianJ
16th August 2019, 05:49 PM
I also cracked a 40 today, but I'll start with yesterday.

Kooralbyn Copperhead. 94/79...got beaten on countback for 3rd. I somehow left my putter at the 17th green and had to putt for birdie on 18 with a hybrid, which lipped out. So maybe I can blame my stupidity for that extra shot. A highlight was being in the same group as a former Aus PGA champ (Randall Vines...72/73 winner).

The aforementioned 40 points @ Royal Qld today with Ferrins, a mate of his and a visitor (albeit one who forked out $230 for the privilege). Started on 10 and made the turn with 23 points (no birdies...just steady with 8 pars and 1 bogey). Leaked a little with 17 on 1-9 and doubled 9.

Both enjoyable rounds, despite the polar opposites when it comes to scoring.

Grumpy8
17th August 2019, 06:03 PM
+1 in par today , hit the ball better, sank some good par saving putts and missed some short ones, down to 8 , qualified for another matchplay board event ,

AndyP
17th August 2019, 06:10 PM
17/08/2019, McLeod GC, 4BBB Stroke.

Two rounds in one week! What is going on?

I started the round with a snap hook, just like I did on Wednesday. I got away with it, with a nice reflection to the fairway off the trees, just as I did on the 7th from OOB. Unlike Wednesday, I seemed to get the good reflections, bounces, and rolls today.

Besides those couple of drives, I was very good off the tee today. In fact, the driver was so well behaved, that I didn't dare use another club off the tee on non-par 3s. Hopefully that can continue, and I build back my game around it. Unfortunately, I didn't build a round off it today, as I didn't do anything else good on the front nine. I was catching a lot of balls thin, and I couldn't string two good shots together in a row. It was a quality quadruple bogey on nine to finish it off too for +10 on that nine. I think I might blame the shocking headache I had from beers a-plenty last night.

The back nine was a slightly different matter; the ball striking was a bit better, but I scored really well thanks to rolling some putts in, including back to back nailed putts from off the green on 14/15 for par/birdie. I also nabbed a birdie on the last to compensate for the three putt double on the 17th, and score just two over for the back nine. Nice!

Overall, it was an improvement on Wednesday, although worse at times.

Stats: 77% fairways, 22% greens, 28 putts, 43% scrambling.
Score (http://www.gamegolf.com/player/AndyP/round/2732928): PXPXBPPBX PPPBPbBXb - Gross 47-36-83 (+12); Par 37/34/71.

Next round: Next weekend at a different course.

Bigbad
19th August 2019, 12:37 PM
Played a Par event on Saturday, hate the format. Don't think it truly reflects how you played on the day. I finished 6 down after my 18 holes but played the 3 par 5's in -5. Would have shot mid 70's i'd imagine if it were a stroke event which would have been about right for the day, instead it looks like I hit the ball everywhere. Meh.

Grumpy8
20th August 2019, 06:52 PM
35 pts today winner was 36 , I had 20 pts first nine couldn’t keep it going . Par 3 13 th sums up my day , tee shot ball pitched in line hit the flagstick bounced back off the green , putted it back up the slope ball stopped on the lip

WBennett
20th August 2019, 07:50 PM
Surely someone winning the gross and nett club championship should have posted in here by now

JoeS
20th August 2019, 07:58 PM
Surely someone winning the gross and nett club championship should have posted in here by nowEclectic,posted

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Grumpy8
20th August 2019, 08:49 PM
Surely someone winning the gross and nett club championship should have posted in here by now I did last October

jimandr
21st August 2019, 09:54 PM
I'll admit that I am shallow, and the result determines how I report my rounds in this thread. So I was mightily irritated by my last hole today. But I found out that it did not cost me a ball in the rundown, or a flag on golflink, so all is forgiven, sort of.

I recorded 34 points today. It was the Black Marker event, where 37 points or better gets you a 6 pack of Tooheys. I needed to birdie the last to achieve that, and needed to chip in from a fairly easy position to do so. But I got too aggressive in my desire to get the ball to the hole, hit it too hard and then 20 feet past. I then wimped out completely in my desire to lag two-putt, left it 5 feet short, missed that, and turned a great score into a mediocre one.

I played really well on a difficult course set-up, and deserved a result. Fortunately, I still got one, despite a disaster triple, and the double on the last.

benno_r
22nd August 2019, 06:01 PM
A couple of rounds so far this week at Maryborough GC (both S/Ford). After almost raising the bat in the first 2 rounds of club champs at the start of the month, I have hit a bit of consistency, shooting between 32-34 pts since. This week was no difference, with 32pts yesterday and 33pts today.

Quick summary - not getting off the tee well with any club on par 4s and par 5s, and hitting nearly all the par 3 greens. Generally playing well except for 2 or 3 blowup holes a round. Oworks Marxman just landed from Jonti is going well, feeling some confidence there on the greens.

Wed:
16/16 32
6gir
8pars
7bog
3db

Thur:
16/17 33
7gir
9pars
6bog
3db (3 wipes)

I think the dream of 8 has been shattered, but my resolve is strong. Next lesson is tomorrow.

Grumpy8
22nd August 2019, 09:21 PM
Par comp today finished square off 8 , 4 th in the comp , starting to turn things around , all 20 cards in golflink are 30 pts or better

AndyP
24th August 2019, 01:55 PM
24/08/2019, McLeod GC, Stableford.

Well, that was disappointing. Instead of slowly getting back some form, I put in a stinker today, with few very good things to reflect on.

For the third round in a row, I started with a snap hook; this time out of bounds was my reward. The driver started from far left, moved to slight pulls, then found some fairways during the middle of the round, before starting to fade, and finished with a couple of push cuts. It was quality distribution spread from the tee.

The other clubs were being pulled left for a lot of the round too, if I wasn't hitting them fat. I'm not sure what was going on; maybe the hips are a bit stiff from attending the gym. It would have been nice if something came good at some stage, but I couldn't even scramble for pars on the back nine.

Stats: 47% fairways, 17% greens, 32 putts, 13% scrambling.
Score (http://www.gamegolf.com/player/AndyP/round/2740645): XBXPPBBPP XXXPBBBBB - Gross 44-47-91 (+18); Stab 14-11-25pts; Par 37/36/73.

Next round: Another weekend, another course.

Grumpy8
24th August 2019, 03:55 PM
Individual matchplay today , won 5 n 3 , have to play one of the pennant team members next week in the semi final

JoeS
24th August 2019, 06:14 PM
Individual matchplay today , won 5 n 3 , have to play one of the pennant team members next week in the semi finalWell done.I watched you teeing off on 14,seemed to get it away nicely

JoeS
24th August 2019, 06:16 PM
First round of teams of 3 today.In very windy conditions,and not having played for a month I was hoping for not much.
80/72 for 35 points,pretty happy with that in tough conditions.

Grumpy8
24th August 2019, 06:26 PM
Well done.I watched you teeing off on 14,seemed to get it away nicelySent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk Thnx but couldn’t have been watching me I pulled it left and lost the ball . Mind you I blame the other two nuffties in my group playing their match , were niggling each other all day shaped up and were going to punch on at back of 13 th green , asked John E to send someone down from the clubhouse as he walked past , pro came down and read the riot act to them .

JoeS
24th August 2019, 06:42 PM
Thnx but couldn’t have been watching me I pulled it left and lost the ball . Mind you I blame the other two nuffties in my group playing their match , were niggling each other all day shaped up and were going to punch on at back of 13 th green , asked John E to send someone down from the clubhouse as he walked past , pro came down and read the riot act to them .Haha,didn't see it finish up.John was in my 4some so filled us in a bit.Matchplay can bring out the c,.t in some people

Grumpy8
24th August 2019, 07:25 PM
Haha,didn't see it finish up.John was in my 4some so filled us in a bit.Matchplay can bring out the c,.t in some peopleSent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk Certainly did today , apparently both have history and some of the guys weren’t surprised it blew up , never seen two guys pull so much crap or go so hard at each other ,

Matt 3 Jab
24th August 2019, 08:08 PM
17 points today with 9 wipes (6 in a row on the back 9).

Not much else to say really

I'm a flusher

Captain Nemo
24th August 2019, 09:36 PM
😳

Kriso
24th August 2019, 09:46 PM
Yep disappointing 29 today, 20 on the front, started back nine with 3 doubles went from hitting everything to hitting nothing.

3Puttpete
24th August 2019, 10:55 PM
Regained the SBC with a big win even with a stretch of 8 points in 8 holes.

JoeS
25th August 2019, 03:35 PM
VGL Champions Trophy at Albert Park this morning 84/77.Had the huge pleasure of teeing it up with Rory McElroy and Brookes Keopka[emoji55].Flat parkland track with zero elevation change,except for the greens.Got honked on a teebox,how nice.

peter_rs
26th August 2019, 07:44 PM
Played Nudgee off the bay Sunday was not a good start 11 points after 9 holes.

Finished with 35.

It’s sad when my last two rounds of 35 and 33 are counters

JoeS
26th August 2019, 07:55 PM
Played Nudgee off the bay Sunday was not a good start 11 points after 9 holes.

Finished with 35.

It’s sad when my last two rounds of 35 and 33 are countersMust have been some very good golf on the back 9

Dcanto
27th August 2019, 12:32 AM
Played Nudgee off the bay Sunday was not a good start 11 points after 9 holes.Finished with 35.It’s sad when my last two rounds of 35 and 33 are counters Congrats on the strong second nine. I'll gladly swap with you :). My efforts on Saturday started with 16 points for 9 holes then went backwards for 13 on the second 9.

AJL
27th August 2019, 02:42 PM
90 yesterday. 36 putts, 4 GIR, 5 fairways.
Shot of the day: 5 iron cut around a tree from 170m (downwind) to a back pin placement to around 7 feet on the first hole - Still missed the putt.
Mainly hit my 975f 3 wood off the tee every hole, hit it left every time (i swear it sets up closed lol.)
Was getting frustrated waiting every shot and not getting waved up to play through by a cart group of two that would drive the cart to both their shots. Then another person tee’d off the wrong tee after the front 9 just to further frustrate me haha.
Probably could have managed the course better but just was in a shitty mood on the back nine.
The only positive from this round was that I didn’t hit any shanks 😁.

Grumpy8
27th August 2019, 05:00 PM
Stableford today at beaconhills, 17 / 21 second behind a 41 pt , some missed short putts front nine , 3 birdie 3 bogey 3 par back nine . Faded a nine iron around overhanging branches on 18 to a foot from the pin sunk the putt , down to 7.3 cap .

jimandr
28th August 2019, 05:34 PM
My last 8 rounds have ranged from acceptable to really good, but it all came crashing down today. 29 points was the final score, and it took a good finish to stop further bleeding.

I simply couldn't hit two good shots in a row, and as sometimes happens in those circumstances, all the bad ones ended up in impossible positions where I was left trying to save bogey rather than making par.

No games for the next six weeks, but I'm hoping there are some golf instructional videos on the in-flight-entertainment menu on Emirates.

AndyP
28th August 2019, 07:36 PM
Where are you off to, Jim?

jimandr
28th August 2019, 09:51 PM
You'll find out next week, when I post in the Cricket thread, or in late September, when I post in the European Tour thread.

I don't think there are any appropriate threads that apply to Croatia or Spain, so you won't find out anything about those places from me.

3Puttpete
30th August 2019, 02:09 PM
Managed to avoid raising the bat at Ocean Shores. That’s a win.

benno_r
30th August 2019, 02:48 PM
Managed to avoid raising the bat at Ocean Shores. That’s a win.Whats the course like at the moment?

3Puttpete
30th August 2019, 05:11 PM
Whats the course like at the moment?

No complaints. Greens are close to perfect.

Grumpy8
31st August 2019, 05:23 PM
Played semi final of matchplay today ,held up at work got there just in time no warm up , lost the first won the second lost the third won the fourth . Got two up on him twice and then promptly handed it back mostly thru poor putting , except for 14 where I hit four crap shots in a row conceded before I got to the green . Scrambled a half on sixteen , he should have won it , got up n down on 17 from 45 mts for par , he missed a 10 footer so 1 up , hit my best drive of the day down 18 , second shot hit the flagstick and stayed to 3 mts , had 2 putts for a half which I used . So won 1 up into the final , have to give my opponent 10 shots .

shazza_rs
31st August 2019, 06:07 PM

AndyP
31st August 2019, 06:59 PM
I have a challenger for NAGA next week. :mrgreen:

JoeS
31st August 2019, 07:06 PM
Second round of teams of 3.Started on 19 with a triple and didn't get much better.
90/82 for 26 points.
Highlight was a chip in birdie on 22.Low light was scrambling.Also had an issue with distance control.Seems I am now hitting it 1 club further,sometimes.

shazza_rs
31st August 2019, 07:58 PM
I have a challenger for NAGA next week. :mrgreen:

Sure do!

NewyMitch
1st September 2019, 04:13 PM
29 points in an awful lot of rain. Was badly let down by my putting which totalled 41 putts including 8 3 putts. My only excuse is that I could not judge my pace with the amount of water on the greens.

Grumpy8
3rd September 2019, 05:58 PM
Have now managed 22 consecutive rounds in golflink 30 and above points now , about all I want to say about today’s round except my putting was awful

benno_r
4th September 2019, 02:00 PM
Hervey bay yesterday. Started hot, +1 through 8. Lost my swing a bit to limp home @ +12 and 34 points.

Highlight were birdy on 8, and just missing my second ace on 12. Lowlights were not entering the pro pins, and missing out on 2 and 12.

Maryborough today.
Interesting day. 41 points with a wipe on 2 and 4 birdies.

Highlight. GIR pin high on 7, collar was blocking the putt, so used my 58 for an easy chip in bird from the green. Didn't even leave a mark. Solid birds on 4, 10, and 14 were also cool.

Lowlights. Wipe on 2 getting aggressive out of the trees, and 3 putts on 5 and 16 for slack 1 pointers.

20/21 41
4 birds
7 pars
5 bogs
2 db
7/13 fw
9 gir
30 putts

AndyP
4th September 2019, 02:06 PM
Champs Favourite!!!

backintheswing
4th September 2019, 02:19 PM
Champs Favourite!!!

He always is. He’s won more champs than the rest of the field combined.

AndyP
4th September 2019, 02:30 PM
Unbackable Champs Favourite!!!

benno_r
4th September 2019, 02:34 PM
Unbackable Champs Favourite!!!

Just a shame the prize money component is so low - just transferred it to my personal account, and all I got was a choccie milk.

benno_r
4th September 2019, 02:35 PM
He always is. He’s won more champs than the rest of the field combined.

I dunno, AndyP has 1, BITS has 1, Pete_RS has 1. Shaz has a million.

JoeS
4th September 2019, 05:16 PM
Can someone start September