PDA

View Full Version : There's a bandwagon with your name on it

Fishman Dan
16th August 2006, 11:31 PM
It's called soccer.

I went to the Australia vs Kuwait game tonight, and it was another soccer match that was great to be a part of - swarming seas of gold is a spectacle to behold. Something to be said barracking for a team with the entire crowd support behind a single team, you just don't get that in a league or AFL fixture - you're hard pressed in any stadium filling every seat.

32k strong crowd tonight which is about 10k short of capacity at the SFS, but the atmosphere was fantastic, and although the Aussie B team was under-par, it was a thoroughly enjoyable event. To see that many people go up as one when the first goal was smashed home by Dodd was worth the wait!

So Sydney FC, Qld Roar, Perth, Central Coast, Newcastle.... get behind your local teams... and it won't be long before FNQ have a team out of Townsville and/or Cairns as well.

Jarro
17th August 2006, 01:04 AM
:smt015

sorry mate, the World cup was something else .... but the local stuff is pretty lame

goughy
17th August 2006, 05:47 AM
Can I get on?

Fishman Dan
17th August 2006, 07:50 AM
I'm sure you can.. we're going to buy Sydney FC season tickets. I'm surprised how many people I know are already on-board, including family season tickets.

I'd check out the Roar website (can get there via the A-League site). It's a great family atmosphere.

3oneday
17th August 2006, 08:05 AM
Is this spam ????

Jarro
17th August 2006, 08:12 AM
tastes like spam .. i mean, it's sorta like ham :smt002

Courty
17th August 2006, 08:23 AM
I watched the game last night. As Fishy said, the Aussie-based squad was well down on class from the World Cup squad (as you would expect) and it showed against an opposition who aren't even fully professional. Nevertheless, they got the job done, and Australia will be at the Asian Cup Finals next year.

As for an A-League team here in FNQ, I can't see it happening here in Cairns. Townsville are more likely to be able to support another national league club. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

AndyP
17th August 2006, 10:57 AM
I thought it was a sign that World Cup Fever was wearing off by the fact there was no thread on it last night. I had forgotten it was on, and only saw it when I was doing a flick through the channels. I only then flicked for score updates, as I was too busy kicking some Champions League arse in This is Soccer 2002 on the PS2.

amanda
17th August 2006, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure if it was my TV - but was the quality of last night's broadcast poor? Pictures were clear on close ups, but the wide shots of the field seemed very grainy.

Fishman Dan
17th August 2006, 11:19 AM
As opposed to playing an NRL game on PS2 AP?? ;)

Subliminal supporting seems to be working!

AndyP
17th August 2006, 11:24 AM
Ugggh!

AFL game development just can't match the big sports like soccer. So soccer is less frustrating to play, as there is less bugs.

3oneday
17th August 2006, 11:54 AM

Subliminal supporting seems to be working!Probably easier to portray people dribbling a ball to each other and fall down feigning injury.

Soccer would be fairly basic in regard to technical aspects I would have thought.

Fishman Dan
17th August 2006, 12:07 PM
69 - I think what your post shows is the feeling towards the game in general, pre A-League. There's definately a feel of 'something new' around Sydney. It's also very likely due to the fact that Sydney FC spared no expense with names like Litbarski and Yorke to compliment the line-up, but now people will start using names like 'Brosque' and 'Petrovski' as the game evolves. It's probably also fair to comment that if Sydney don't win again this year, they could be in trouble.

Slashing the previous soccer league as we knew it was the best thing for the game. What that now means is that the game is fully reliant on fans using their feet and turning up to the games. In a town where people are turning away from NRL matches in droves (thanks largely to teams like the Bulldogs), they are seeking alternatives.

Even the Swans days are numbered. Much like Gaz and his Brisbane Lions membership, Sydney is a love-hate market.

3oneday
17th August 2006, 01:07 PM
In a town where people are turning away from NRL matches in droves (thanks largely to teams like the Bulldogs)yep, they turned away 31,000 last weekend to one of their games, interest is certainly waning... oh, and against the Dragons too, should have been a bloodbath by all accounts... where did it all go wrong :confused:

You sure you don't write in the media somewhere, your ability to fictionalise is outstanding...

Never let the facts get in the way of a good dribble ;)

One more question, when you go to the soccer, do you wrap a red or blue jumper around your waist ??? ;) or is that still restricted to rah rah ???

Fishman Dan
17th August 2006, 01:38 PM
Typical, mention the Bulldogs and they come out swinging! 31k? Not bad in a stadium fit for 80k.

The one sport the A-League will have an attendence majority over is club rugby. The elbow-patch brigade only really turn up to 3 games a year - but even then they attract more than an NRL Grand Final ;)

3oneday
17th August 2006, 01:58 PM
Keep your thread to soccer and you shouldn't use up too much space ;)

AndyP
22nd September 2006, 03:14 PM
I'm attending my first Roar game tonight, and am looking forward to it. Plus, I'll take any excuse to deck myself in orange.

Not sure why it's at 8 o'clock instead of 7, like most of the games are. Guess I'll just have to stay in the pubs longer.

dc68
22nd September 2006, 03:21 PM
can you mix orange with brown and yellow? ewww

Grunt
22nd September 2006, 03:21 PM
Have fun AP, have not got to a Sydney FC game yet, they lost my drawcard when Yorke left.

Anyone else here got a Fox Sports A League Fantasy team? go to www.foxsports.com.au for more info.

poidda
22nd September 2006, 03:25 PM
yep. off to the roar game myself. have season tickets. it's a good way to start the night. actually AP, I might have some cheap tickets if you're interested!

AndyP
22nd September 2006, 03:38 PM
Cheaper than free? If not, I'll stick with my current plan. Thanks anyway, poidda.

Our current plan also involves walking from the city after work stopping at whatever pub we feel like on the way.

I don't even know where I'm sitting. This is my first time to Suncorp Stadium.

dc68
22nd September 2006, 03:43 PM
You are gunna be toasted come kick off Ap

poidda
22nd September 2006, 03:46 PM
sounds like a plan. we're doing the same thing. we always end up at the caxton pre-game of course. might be a smaller crowd tonight with the boncos playing the same time.

oh yeah, free tickets are all good. :)

AndyP
22nd September 2006, 04:01 PM
You are gunna be toasted come kick off Ap
This will test my discipline for weight loss......

poidda, we've got the Caxton pencilled in for the last stop too.

Jarro
22nd September 2006, 04:40 PM
This is my first time to Suncorp Stadium.

you'll have a great time. It's the best stadium to watch the footy at that's for sure 8)

CobraSS
22nd September 2006, 04:51 PM
I'm attending my first Roar game tonight, and am looking forward to it. Plus, I'll take any excuse to deck myself in orange.

Not sure why it's at 8 o'clock instead of 7, like most of the games are. Guess I'll just have to stay in the pubs longer.

might see ya there, I'll be there too, pity it clashs with the doggies game, but that's why I have a HDD recorder I guess.

8pm start because it is Friday, it gives people time to get home from work and then to the game, their saturday games are at 7pm.

Jarro
22nd September 2006, 04:54 PM
send me your mobile number CobraSS ... i'll SMS you updates of the Broncs/Pups game :p

CobraSS
22nd September 2006, 05:00 PM
nah, I don't want you to risk your health, you know. with all those tears running down your face you might get ya phone wet and give yourself an electric shock :mrgreen:

dc68
22nd September 2006, 05:15 PM
bahahahahahahahahahaha wrong!

AndyP
23rd September 2006, 02:36 AM
Does posting at 2:30am give away the fact that I had a pretty big night?

Game was pretty good, atmosphere was great, stadium is fantastic. But a ****ing nil all draw..... come on, where's the incentive to return? Roar dominated, but couldn't put it into the back of the net. Ah well, I still enjoyed it.

Mini pub crawls on both sides of the game. Could go into more detail but won't and will instead just list the locations.

Chill Bar -> O'Malley's -> Myer Centre KFC -> MJs (Roma St Station) -> Caxton -> Suncorp Stadium -> Regatta -> R.E.

goughy
23rd September 2006, 06:10 AM
That's the thing that bugs me about that game. I can't believe how excited people can get watching a nil all draw. Do they need to remove the offside rule, or mabe get rid of the goalie. Something anyway.

Jarro
23rd September 2006, 06:34 AM
pretty awesome stadium isn't it AndyP ;)

AndyP
23rd September 2006, 08:18 AM
That's the thing that bugs me about that game. I can't believe how excited people can get watching a nil all draw. Do they need to remove the offside rule, or mabe get rid of the goalie. Something anyway.
The excitement isn't about the scoring, it's about the scoring opportunities and the leadup to them. It's just more exciting if they do actually score.

CobraSS
24th September 2006, 10:06 AM
The excitement isn't about the scoring, it's about the scoring opportunities and the leadup to them. It's just more exciting if they do actually score.

exactly, it was a great game to watch. Roar should have won 2-3 nil, so many free headers from corners, they should have put away at least one of them.

goughy
24th September 2006, 12:54 PM

That may be true. But to me it seems like trying to work your way up to 4th base. You put in the effort, the excitement builds but if you fall short no matter how much excitement you go home dissapointed.

Seems I may be flashing back to my uni days :oops:

Fishman Dan
25th September 2006, 07:08 AM
What great news, I get to double up my bandwagons this year - Sydney and Melbourne!!

Interesting to see how full Stadium Australia gets, especially considering neither competing team has a public holiday in their state the following day.

BrisVegas
25th September 2006, 07:55 AM
That may be true. But to me it seems like trying to work your way up to 4th base.

There's a 4th base??? Dang! :shock:

Jarro
25th September 2006, 08:01 AM
There's a 4th base??? Dang! :shock:

yeah, Goughy's right on top of his baseball :mrgreen:

mike
28th November 2007, 02:21 PM
Soccer ( or football...whatever ) is at an all time high in Australia. Socceroos and Olyroos doing well. A revamped , streamlined national league going very well.

Hell, even I'm interested in the game again .

But I can't understand why 80 000 people would go and see a game that means nuthin, simply because there's a broken down , highly over rated has been who can't tackle and can't kick with his left foot and happens to be married to an anorexic nobody with zilch talent.

PeteyD
28th November 2007, 02:32 PM
bit harsh Mike. she is good at bitching.

poidda
28th November 2007, 02:50 PM
Soccer ( or football...whatever ) is at an all time high in Australia. Socceroos and Olyroos doing well. A revamped , streamlined national league going very well.

Hell, even I'm interested in the game again .

But I can't understand why 80 000 people would go and see a game that means nuthin, simply because there's a broken down , highly over rated has been who can't tackle and can't kick with his left foot and happens to be married to an anorexic nobody with zilch talent.

It's all about marketing isn't. I would like to know the percentage of women that were at the game?!?! You don't see them bringing out Zizuo who is by far a much better retiree. That's because he's an old balding frenchman.

I thought it was complete waste of time and money last week, but after seeing the work he's done, and the publicity he's given the game this week, it's money well spent. It's only a matter of time until it's as big here as it is everywhere else in the world, and they need to keep the interest going. It didn't help being drawn in the Asian confederation's 'group of death' (http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/socceroos-drawn-in-group-of-death/2007/11/26/1195975902706.html) for the 2010 World Cup.

Proof of the popularity at the moment is a mate went to sign his son up for under-7s to play the usualy junior football. The one club themselves had enough players to field 11 teams. :shock:

Bruce
28th November 2007, 03:41 PM
I like that we are in the group of death.

It will focus a few minds that qualifying is bloody tough and if we can make it through then we are a good show to do well.

Fishman Dan
28th November 2007, 07:56 PM

It was a mighty impressive goal he scored from a dead ball. Right smack bang in the toppest leftest corner of the net. First chance of the game and in the back of the net. Pretty awesome.

Sydney FC don't need to win the comp this year - that friendly just paid the teams wages for the '07/08 season!

3oneday
28th November 2007, 07:59 PM
Sydney FC don't need to win the comp this year - that friendly just paid the teams wages for the '07/08 season!somehow I doubt that, half the gate probably went to Beckham.

I'm no soccer player, but his footwork and skill was something worth watching.

Fishman Dan
28th November 2007, 08:02 PM
His disposals were a class above. Mind you, the rest of the players on the field were pretty crap :

poidda
28th November 2007, 08:02 PM
Sydney FC don't need to win the comp this year - that friendly just paid the teams wages for the '07/08 season!

You think? I'd like to know what SFC and the FFA had to pay to get them out here.

Grunt
28th November 2007, 08:03 PM
Goal was a beauty. Even the commentators said that the Sydney FC Goalie had no hope with that one. He got a hand on it just.

AndyP
28th November 2007, 08:14 PM
You think? I'd like to know what SFC and the FFA had to pay to get them out here.poidda, I read something about LA Galaxy wanting to globally market themselves (merchandise, etc), so I'm not sure how much they were chased?

goughy
28th November 2007, 08:16 PM
Something like 300k jersey's have been sold in the states.

Moe Norman
28th November 2007, 08:52 PM

I don't really watch soccer, but I watched a bit of last nights game and he was clearly better than anyone else out there. It was like Darren Lockyer running around in school football.

Hasn't he captained England and won like everything there is to win in Europe? Did marrying Posh do this for him, or is he actually one of the better soccer players to have been around in the lat decade?

mike
28th November 2007, 09:22 PM
It was a mighty impressive goal he scored from a dead ball. Right smack bang in the toppest leftest corner of the net.

Meh. He got lucky. It was 3 inches away from missing.

Good points Poidda. I guess if it's publicity they were after, that's what they got.

Crappy, scrappy game, though. Lucky 7 goals were scored.

goughy
28th November 2007, 09:28 PM
You mean 8 goals!

poidda
28th November 2007, 09:43 PM
I don't really watch soccer, but I watched a bit of last nights game and he was clearly better than anyone else out there. It was like Darren Lockyer running around in school football.

Hasn't he captained England and won like everything there is to win in Europe? Did marrying Posh do this for him, or is he actually one of the better soccer players to have been around in the lat decade?

You're right Moe. He has been one of the better players in the world for the last decade. He is well known for the amount of work he has always done on and off the field. He knows he is past competing with the best in the world, hence his move to LA before he's forgotten about. It's a truly brilliant move by his management.

But how good did Juninho look as well. It would be great to see him fit. He will destroy the A-League if finds form.

Moe Norman
28th November 2007, 09:46 PM
was Juninho that angry little guy who looks like he's about 45?

If so, he was pretty skilful

AndyP
28th November 2007, 09:49 PM
Beckham is now underrated because of his celebrity status. He became a celebrity because he was that good.

Fishman Dan
29th November 2007, 08:31 AM
Beckham is now underrated because of his celebrity status. He became a celebrity because he was that good.

You're an atypical Aussie AP - cutting down the tall poppies!

markTHEblake
30th November 2007, 09:12 AM
You're an atypical Aussie AP - cutting down the tall poppies!

he gets a lot of practice, lots of tall poppies around here.

AndyP
30th November 2007, 09:34 AM
But I wasn't cutting him down, I was arguing for Beckham's talent. =;

3oneday
30th November 2007, 09:46 AM
He seemed to me to be stating the obvious, he is simply better than the rest.

Fishman Dan
30th November 2007, 09:54 AM
But I wasn't cutting him down, I was arguing for Beckham's talent. =;

The 5 minute argument, or the full half hour?

poidda
30th November 2007, 10:52 AM
poidda, I read something about LA Galaxy wanting to globally market themselves (merchandise, etc), so I'm not sure how much they were chased?

It seems this is the case afterall. Why else would they be playing in Wellington. I doubt the Kiwis would be coughing up to much cash to get him there.

Virgal_Tracy
3rd December 2007, 09:37 AM
You think? I'd like to know what SFC and the FFA had to pay to get them out here.

Official reports have them paying LA $1m for the game. With all the publicity for the game and a full house, it is money well spent.

Talking with Friends lat night who were in the UK when Beckham went to LA and they said 360k shirts were sent to Europe alone.

He is a good player but just below the true greats. Runs a lot, can't defend, can't use his left foot except to stand on and his heading ability is poor, but what he can do with that right foot is something special.

poidda
7th December 2007, 02:27 PM
So the Nathional team sticking with the dutch. A good signing I reakon.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22883940-5014539,00.html

Courty
7th December 2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah, a much better option than Klinsman. The German style is too structured for my liking.

AndyP
7th December 2007, 05:28 PM
When does all the real Qualifying stuff start, whether it be Asian Cup or World Cup? Friendlies just don't do it for me.

Fishman Dan
8th December 2007, 06:36 PM
A lot of experience in this region too, could be quite a handy signing.

pom
16th December 2007, 11:46 AM
First games sometime in february I think & if my memory serves me it,s a home game

poidda
16th December 2007, 03:10 PM
First games sometime in february I think & if my memory serves me it,s a home game

Yeah Feb 6th in Melbourne.

Fishman Dan
16th December 2007, 07:07 PM
Nearly as bad as Melbourne. Perth's goals last night were the softest ever. Extraordinary stuff. Got to feel sorry for a coach who inherited a bunch of spazzies like Sydney FC. Bolton has to be the worst keeper in the comp.

Grunt
28th December 2007, 08:55 PM
Watching the A league tonight Sydney V Adelaide, and just saw a great goal. Looked like nothing was on then bang the ball was in the back of the net. Came just after another young bloke should have put the ball in the back of the net almost unopposed after an error from a defender passing the ball back to the keeper.

Fishman Dan
28th December 2007, 11:42 PM
That was Santalab. His effort last weekend was even better. There's some great young talent in Sydney FC, they are only just starting to realise it. Kosmina is doing great things for the club.

poidda
2nd January 2008, 11:18 AM
And so the mighty Queensland Roar are top of the table with 3 rounds to go, and with the best defencive record in the league, we've gotto be looking good for some home finals. But in saying that, the last 3 games are Melbourne & Sydney at home, then Adelaide away. All 3 are desperate for wins.

Grunt
2nd January 2008, 11:20 AM
Sydney are starting to come home strong Poidda. They look the goods once again after a slow start.

poidda
2nd January 2008, 11:31 AM
Sydney are starting to come home strong Poidda. They look the goods once again after a slow start.

"Coming home strong" is a bit optomistic isn't it! They've had 10 goals scored against them in the last 3 games! :shock: They're just lucky the teams they have been playing are all folding.

3oneday
2nd January 2008, 11:44 AM
And I think they have played against 10 man teams as well. Sydney have been average from where I've been sitting, I think against 11 men they would have lost their last 2 at least !

AndyP
2nd January 2008, 12:44 PM
I'm on the bandwagon. Go Roar!

poidda
2nd January 2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah the next to home games will be huge! Victory need to win just to keep their chances alive. And then, depending on results this week, The Roar could be playing for the minor premiership! Get along to the game!

AndyP
2nd January 2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah the next to home games will be huge! Victory need to win just to keep their chances alive. And then, depending on results this week, The Roar could be playing for the minor premiership! Get along to the game!I might have a look at the date/time of the two games.

poidda
2nd January 2008, 01:06 PM
I might have a look at the date/time of the two games.

Sat 5, 7:00 PM Melbourne Victory FC (http://www.melbournevictory.com.au/) Suncorp Stadium A-League

Sun 13, 6:00 PM Sydney FC (http://www.sydneyfc.com/) Suncorp Stadium A-League

(http://www.qldroar.com.au/default.aspx?s=qldfc_fixtureresults#)

AndyP
2nd January 2008, 01:10 PM
Thank you. I'm going to make some enquiries on the homefront about the 2nd game. The atmosphere should be great for both of them.

poidda
2nd January 2008, 01:47 PM
I should make an appearance at one of those too.
Was there talk of a pre game steak at the creek ?

I've been to the Creek a couple of times in the past month, and both steaks have been very average. I wont be racing back in a hurry.

Now a dozen pre game beers is always on the cards.

PeteyD
2nd January 2008, 02:08 PM
go to the Norman (Ipswich rd, just past the freeway up from the PA). Better steaks.

AndyP
2nd January 2008, 02:13 PM
Why would you go to either before going to the Soccer in Milton??? Do you mean the Caxton, g69?

poidda
2nd January 2008, 02:21 PM
Why would you go to either before going to the Soccer in Milton??? Do you mean the Caxton, g69?

Yeah I'm lost as well.

go to the Norman (Ipswich rd, just past the freeway up from the PA). Better steaks.

The Norman is much better, and good location for anything at the gabba.

poidda
2nd January 2008, 02:29 PM
I only mentioned the Creek as Poidda had mentioned it was his regular pre game tucker.

Nah you're wrong there 69er. I occassionaly go there to watch the away games as I don't have Foxtel.

poidda
2nd January 2008, 02:30 PM
Oh yeah, and the Normanby is a good place to start for a steak and a few beers while over that part of town. As long as it's not a Sunday game as it's a sh1tfight there.

CobraSS
2nd January 2008, 10:18 PM
The Roar could be playing for the minor premiership!

and an ACL spot :)

Get along to the game!

haven't missed one yet :mrgreen:

AndyP
3rd January 2008, 09:08 AM
I'll be taking the boy along to the Sydney FC game. We are going with the neighbours. I'm looking forward to it.

poidda
3rd January 2008, 09:54 AM
I'll be taking the boy along to the Sydney FC game. We are going with the neighbours. I'm looking forward to it.

Good work.

3oneday
5th January 2008, 10:51 PM
I don't here any Roaring tonite then boys ??? ;)

Fishman Dan
6th January 2008, 09:29 AM
The end of the season is getting quite good. I'm finding I'm watching more and more games (although attending about the same number ;))

poidda
7th January 2008, 11:08 AM
I don't here any Roaring tonite then boys ??? ;)

Yeah it was a little disappointing, but not the end of the world. The 2 goals fro Melbourne were quality and we should have eqaulised with the hand ball in the box. Ahh well. The top four all play each other this week, so it will be a great finish to the season. Sydney then have to deal with Melbourne away the following week as well.

AndyP
7th January 2008, 11:27 AM
The Roar seem to be the only team that can get in the way of a NSW team taking the trophy.

poidda
7th January 2008, 11:33 AM
The Roar seem to be the only team that can get in the way of a NSW team taking the trophy.

Yeah, unless Newcastle self destruct in the next 2 games, and Melborne win both, the 4 teams are already set. Just where the 4 finish is important now.

poidda
7th January 2008, 12:06 PM
Ok lads..balls on the line...2 games to go...who will win it ?

I think CCM will still get home.

Yeah they've got the best games to finish with having Newcastle and Wellington at home. But in saying that, if they can't beat Perth, than I wouldn't be backing them.

I say who ever wins the game on Sunday here will be the team to beat in the finals.

Fishman Dan
7th January 2008, 12:11 PM
I think Central Coast are the best unit out there (despite last night's hickup), but Sydney are going well enough. They don't have many (any?) injuries to (to non-marquee players), and I don't know of anyone with any card induced suspensions looming.

poidda
7th January 2008, 12:17 PM
Nice one Pete..you actually tipped 3 teams in that post.

Well it's obvious for all you punters! Pick the team I haven't backed.

OK, my tip is the Roar. They will beat Sydney this weekend at home. Reinaldo's suspended, but all other players are back.

poidda
7th January 2008, 12:34 PM
Here are the current odds and table.

19999 SYDNEY FC $3.00
19994 CENTRAL COAST MARINERS $3.25
19998 QUEENSLAND ROAR $3.75
19996 NEWCASTLE JETS $6.00
19995 MELBOURNE VICTORY $21.00
19993 ADELAIDE UNITED $26.00

1 Central Coast Mariners 19 9 4 6 27 23 31
2 Queensland Roar FC 19 8 6 5 25 19 30
3 Sydney FC 19 8 6 5 26 22 30
4 Newcastle United Jets FC 19 7 7 5 21 19 28
5 Adelaide United 19 5 8 6 27 26 23
6 Melbourne Victory FC 19 5 8 6 24 27 23
7 Wellington Phoenix 19 5 5 9 25 32 20
8 Perth Glory 19 3 8 8 23 30 17

A few bucks on Melbourne as a long shot wouldn't be a waste I reakon. Newcastle has a great chance of folding.

Grunt
9th January 2008, 06:10 PM
Have to agree G69, CCM to win it but SU to give it a shake. I think the Roar will falter.

AndyP
9th January 2008, 06:36 PM
Why don't you throw a vote in for the other NSW team while you are at it? :roll:

Grunt
9th January 2008, 06:45 PM
OK AP I will Newcastle will do better than the Roar, Not sure how if they fall at the 1st week of the finals.

poidda
9th January 2008, 08:25 PM
OK AP I will Newcastle will do better than the Roar, Not sure how if they fall at the 1st week of the finals.

Qld will be very tough to beat this week at home with a full team in front of a huge crowd.

poidda
11th January 2008, 11:50 AM
So anyone going the game Sunday Arvo? If so, I'll be at the top of Isle 330 sucking back a couple of beers pre-game and at half time.

poidda
11th January 2008, 12:32 PM
1. Melbourne v Wellington
2. Central Coast v Newcastle
3. Qld v Sydney
4. Perth v Adelaide

Anyone care to kick in a few bob for the 4 tips this week.
1. Melb
2. Draw
3. Draw
4. Perth

Edit . An all up on my four selection pay 50-1

I can't see there being draws this weekend. To many teams need to win.
1. Melb
2. Newcastle
3. Qld
4. Adelaide

poidda
11th January 2008, 12:47 PM
Perth will smash Adel.

FFS, Perth gunna win their 4th game of the season!

AndyP
11th January 2008, 02:29 PM
Tickets are booked. I'm not exactly sure where, as I didn't buy them, but they weren't the cheaper ones.

I've got money on Roar to win.

AndyP
13th January 2008, 10:19 PM
Stoopid Sport! I've seen 180 minutes of Roar-dominated soccer now without seeing a single goal.

Good game though, and the lad was well behaved for his first sporting event.

Fishman Dan
13th January 2008, 11:19 PM
It was a dud match, neither team made any inroads. Brosque should have scored early, but apart from that the Roar had the only other chances late in the game.

All 4 teams in the Top 4 tied on 31 points.

poidda
14th January 2008, 10:45 AM
Stoopid Sport! I've seen 180 minutes of Roar-dominated soccer now without seeing a single goal.

Good game though, and the lad was well behaved for his first sporting event.

Haha. What other game did you go to? I've been to every game the last 2 seasons and can't remember seeing another goalless game. Brilliant.

It was a shame we couldn't finish though. We played all over Sydney, and they only time they looked dangerous was on the counter attack. With Adelaide next week, we're looking the goods to finish on top with a chance of a home grand final.

AndyP
14th January 2008, 10:59 AM
Haha. What other game did you go to? I've been to every game the last 2 seasons and can't remember seeing another goalless game. Brilliant.It was against Adelaide last season (but probably in late 2006).

I just looked it up. Round 5, 22 Sept 2006.

The home side dominated proceedings but couldn't find a way through Adelaide's defence despite the 58th-minute sending off of Chinese striker Shengqing Qu.:roll:

The only other goalless game at Suncorp Stadium was in the first season.

poidda
14th January 2008, 11:22 AM
It was against Adelaide last season (but probably in late 2006).

I just looked it up. Round 5, 22 Sept 2006.
:roll:

Please tell me you aren't going to the semi! ;)

But how good are Sydney on the road. They were the first team ever to finish an A-League season without losing an away game. Not a bad record at all.

poidda
17th January 2008, 01:30 PM
So the last week the of A-League and 4 teams on the same points. What are the predictions?

1 Queensland Roar FC - 31pts, GD +6
2 Sydney FC - 31pts, GD +4
3 Central Coast Mariners FC - 31pts, GD +3
4 Newcastle Jets FC - 31pts, GD +3

Friday
Newcastle Jets FC V Perth Glory FC
Saturday
Central Coast Mariners FC V Wellington Phoenix FC
Sunday
Sydney FC Melbourne V Victory FC
Adelaide United FC V Queensland Roar FC

I can see see Newcastle pushing up all game as a loss (or probably a draw) does absolutley nothing to where they finish on the table. That will leave them open and Perth will win. Perth 1-0

Central Coast have struggled of late, but will beat Wellington, but not by 4 goals to help them. Central Coast 2-1

Melbourne always love beating Sydney, so will come out to ruin their season. After Sydney sees that Central Coast have over taken them on the ladder a draw is no good to them, so will push everyone forward in the last 1/2 hour which will give Archie plenty of room. Melbourne 1-0

Queenland will only need a win to finish top, or a draw to finish second. After scroring an early goal, Franky Farina will try to protect a 1-0 lead and as a result Adelaide will equalise. 1-1

Of course it would be nice if the other 3 teams lose before our game Sunday night which would mean we only need a lose of less than 2 goals to finish on top.

Grunt
17th January 2008, 01:36 PM
I think the Mariners that will come back to the form that they had earlier in the year. big win for them. That said Wellington will be trying hard not to get the spoon.

Perth will be like the Phoenix and tryin to avoid the spoon I think they can still get it if the Phoenix win

Melbourne will be tough, think a draw may happen here.

Adelaide will be trying to end the year on a high after such a disappointing year so far. Will be tough for the Roar, think you may be right there Poidda.

poidda
18th January 2008, 03:55 PM
This is an interesting stat.

To understand how much it has changed, Queensland Roar drew 31,933 fans to its match against Sydney FC at Suncorp Stadium last week, the biggest crowd in its history.

It was a bigger crowd than turned out for 24 English Premiership games from December 15 to January 13, including fixtures like Portsmouth v Tottenham at Fratton Park (20,520), Bolton v Birmingham at Reebok Stadium (19,111), Middlesbrough v West Ham at The Riverside (26,007), Blackburn v Chelsea at Ewood Park (23,966) and Fulham v Chelsea at Craven Cottage (25,357).

just
18th January 2008, 04:35 PM
Whats going on there Poidda? I would have thought Chelsea would be able to pull the crowds. Too cold? Everyone at home watching on telly?

poidda
18th January 2008, 04:49 PM
Whats going on there Poidda? I would have thought Chelsea would be able to pull the crowds. Too cold? Everyone at home watching on telly?

Yeah the article failed to mention that all stadiums were probably packed. Both the Chelsea games were away. I know Craven Cottage is about 25k. London has about dozen stadiums but only 2 50k+.

Which brings me to a funny story. The Arsenal Stadium (emirates stadium), well me and a few mates had a kick around on it the week before it opened. Granted it was midnight and we had to break in, but still...

Here's the proof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEvVSWCzWw8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP7MnqxJIs0

AndyP
18th January 2008, 04:52 PM
This is an interesting stat.

To understand how much it has changed, Queensland Roar drew 31,933 fans to its match against Sydney FC at Suncorp Stadium last week, the biggest crowd in its history.

It was a bigger crowd than turned out for 24 English Premiership games from December 15 to January 13, including fixtures like...

Portsmouth v Tottenham at Fratton Park (20,520) - ground capacity 20,688
Bolton v Birmingham at Reebok Stadium (19,111) - 28,723
Middlesbrough v West Ham at The Riverside (26,007) - 35,100
Blackburn v Chelsea at Ewood Park (23,966) - 31,367
Fulham v Chelsea at Craven Cottage (25,357) - 26,600

That puts a bit of a dampener on that statistic.

edit: Awww crap, I was doing the research while you posted.

poidda
18th January 2008, 04:55 PM
Portsmouth v Tottenham at Fratton Park (20,520) - ground capacity 20,688
Bolton v Birmingham at Reebok Stadium (19,111) - 28,723
Middlesbrough v West Ham at The Riverside (26,007) - 35,100
Blackburn v Chelsea at Ewood Park (23,966) - 31,367
Fulham v Chelsea at Craven Cottage (25,357) - 26,600

That puts a bit of a dampener on that statistic.

edit: Awww crap, I was doing the research while you posted.

Not really. There's only one sellout there. (maybe two)

Eag's
18th January 2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah the article failed to mention that all stadiums were probably packed. Both the Chelsea games were away. I know Craven Cottage is about 25k. London has about dozen stadiums but only 2 50k+.

Which brings me to a funny story. The Arsenal Stadium (emirates stadium), well me and a few mates had a kick around on it the week before it opened. Granted it was midnight and we had to break in, but still...

Here's the proof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEvVSWCzWw8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP7MnqxJIs0

:lol: top stuff Poidda, but did you clowns just sit there or actualy have a kick around ??

goughy
18th January 2008, 06:55 PM
I have to ask Poidda, by break in, did you just walk through the open gates or at some stage did you have to jump a fence? ;)

poidda
19th January 2008, 12:45 AM
:lol: top stuff Poidda, but did you clowns just sit there or actualy have a kick around ??

Nah we had a kick around after talking shyte for a while. We were there for a good hour. I'll have to dig up some photos as it's funny shyte. One of the lads even felt the need to do a nude run the length of the pitch.

I have to ask Poidda, by break in, did you just walk through the open gates or at some stage did you have to jump a fence? ;)

There was a half arsed construction fence at the start of the bridge that leads to the stadium. pretty much where the first vid started. There was also another fence around the actual pitch. I suppose to keep the construction mob off it. But this was the night of the World Cup final so everyone was on the piss somewhere or other.

Fishman Dan
20th January 2008, 05:03 PM
See if Sydney can provide some sort of entertainment here. They need to win by 2 goals to go top. As far as I can see they've got nothing to lose - they can't miss out on the finals.

Hot arvo in Sydney too. Juninho to play a starring role if he can last 70+ minutes.

Grunt
20th January 2008, 07:23 PM
The Jets did almost enough but it was not good enough. Was not a bad game to watch, but not sure if it was good football (never played the game). I thought it was going to be one of those 5+ goal games at times in the middle portion. Bring on the Semis, lets see how they go then.

poidda
21st January 2008, 11:22 AM
Yep the Roar self destructed with the biggest brain explosion I've seen in a long time. Hopefully they'll settle down a bit before Friday, but it's going to be a tough run home from here.

Now got Sydney in Sydney this Friday with the second leg at Lang Park on feb 8th.

Fishman Dan
21st January 2008, 11:58 AM
Sydney should have scored 5, but conceded 6. Great game to watch, I have no idea how they couldn't score in the final 2 minutes with the ball bouncing around on the goal line!

3oneday
26th January 2008, 08:22 AM
so, two weeks for the return leg. Seems the finals drag on a bit ?

AndyP
26th January 2008, 08:42 AM
Only because of the international friendly, but yes the finals stretch out a bit too much.

Fishman Dan
28th January 2008, 09:10 AM
What other sport can give you headlines like this:

Kossie waxes lyrical about his Brazilian.

Gold.

poidda
5th February 2008, 05:00 PM
So time to bump this I think.

Biggest game in QLD's short history. Fingers crossed the week off has done us some good. Sydney will be tough, but I think we'll get over the line in front of a big home crowd.

Anyone else going to the game?

AndyP
5th February 2008, 07:07 PM
You told me not to.

Jarro
5th February 2008, 07:11 PM
So we only need a draw to get the points ..... right ? :?

poidda
5th February 2008, 07:23 PM
So we only need a draw to get the points ..... right ? :?

Nope. A goal draw (1-1 or 2-2 etc) will see Sydney through, and any win by either team will see them through. 0-0 will send it to extra time and the penalties if need be.

Fishman Dan
5th February 2008, 10:04 PM
Aust 2 - Qatar 0

Sydney FC 1 - Brisbane Meow 1

Anything else you want predicted?

Choppa
6th February 2008, 01:19 PM
There's an 80% chance of that in any match.

jimandr
6th February 2008, 08:13 PM
Tonights game is a great chance of 0-0....and a bore-a-thon.

3 - nil Australia after 35 minutes.

Can you give me the Melbourne Cup winner instead?

It's a bit risky to say this before the first half is even over, but Australia look very good and Qatar look awful.

AndyP
6th February 2008, 08:15 PM
It's on? Is Qld on delay again, and now with the result above should I not bother?

Grunt
6th February 2008, 08:24 PM
Is live on Foxtel, not sure if it is on any other TV Andy.

AndyP
6th February 2008, 08:28 PM
Oh, I just assumed SBS would have it being the home of soccer and all.

Grunt
6th February 2008, 08:32 PM
Nope.

Jarro
6th February 2008, 09:06 PM
Gotta love the Foxtel :smt023

poidda
8th February 2008, 11:44 AM
Well it seems a lot of people are jumping on that bandwagon. Lang Park is nearly sold out for tonights game. Only the dregs of Cat 3 left. It'll be a great atmosphere with 52,000 there. Sweeet.

Roar 2-0 is my prediction.

Fishman Dan
8th February 2008, 12:02 PM
1-1 in an entertaining, end-to-end, spiteful and fiery clash.

Tiato sent off for a headbutt in the final minutes.

3oneday
8th February 2008, 12:08 PM
2-0 Sydney, QLD to choke.

poidda
8th February 2008, 12:11 PM
1-1 in an entertaining, end-to-end, spiteful and fiery clash.

Tiato sent off for a headbutt in the final minutes.

If only Tiato was playing. He's still suspended from his left jab against Adelaide. But if he was playing, I think you'd be right. :)

PeteyD
8th February 2008, 12:17 PM
3-0 Roar

poidda
8th February 2008, 02:58 PM
ok, off to the pub for some pre-game bevies. If anyone's in the Caxton Street area and keen for a beer, give me a shout.

Go the Roar!

Fishman Dan
8th February 2008, 08:11 PM
Hope you took your wet-weather gear!

Fishman Dan
8th February 2008, 10:00 PM
Shame about the red card. Probably there to give, but could have kept it in the holster. The ref hasn't got control of the game at all.

Grunt
8th February 2008, 10:02 PM
Think all the comments thru the week got in the refs head. Hand ball missed was a poor one. Going to be tough for Syd FC now.

AndyP
8th February 2008, 10:35 PM
The stats seem to reflect that the Roar are dominating. I'd ask for confirmation but you guys have your bling blinkers on.

Fishman Dan
8th February 2008, 11:02 PM
I'm settling in and waiting for an interview with Kosmina. Should be good!

Jarro
8th February 2008, 11:12 PM
Roar too good ... regardless of the ref's dubious calls

Grunt
8th February 2008, 11:13 PM
I'm settling in and waiting for an interview with Kosmina. Should be good!

Popovich was very careful with his words when interviewed. Goal for the Roar in the 1st half was a great one, just wish all the calls did not determine the game. Seems to happen in all sports.
Is Mark Shiels the football version of Bill Harrigan? Seems to want to be a part of every game, I thought the idea was for the referee to referee the game but not be noticed.

Fishman Dan
8th February 2008, 11:42 PM
If the Sydney blokes stopped pushing and tripping he wouldn't be noticed.

The penalty was crap. Shame that kiddy bloke couldn't stand up to a bigger, tougher defender without falling over. Poppa was too big and too strong, besides the young bloke had just run 50m with the ball on his toe - I reckon he was dead on his feet.

I'll take the red card, but the penalty was harsh. Brosque was useless too, Zakovich and Talay are utter crap - what do these commentators see in them? Brosque should have gone off much earlier to have a cry, Santalab and Biddle deserved to have a crack.

Still it's all Central Coast's to win.. even they they have to find something big on Sunday.

Iain
9th February 2008, 01:49 AM
Roar 2-0 is my prediction.

Good call Poidda....

3oneday
9th February 2008, 05:37 AM
Good call Poidda....ahh, so 2 zip ? I fell asleep during the 1st half :oops:

:lol:

Jarro
9th February 2008, 06:24 AM
ahh, so 2 zip ? I fell asleep during the 1st half :oops:

On a bit too late for ya was it old fella ?

:p

3oneday
9th February 2008, 06:42 AM
10pm was the end of the first half ? bloody wusses started late cause it was sprinkling ? typical soccer sheilas :p

Moe Norman
9th February 2008, 08:39 AM
Popovich was very careful with his words when interviewed. Goal for the Roar in the 1st half was a great one, just wish all the calls did not determine the game. Seems to happen in all sports.
Is Mark Shiels the football version of Bill Harrigan? Seems to want to be a part of every game, I thought the idea was for the referee to referee the game but not be noticed.

i'm not much of a soccer fan, but if you think the ref determined that game you are f#cking blind. The Sydney blokes never evene threatened to score.

Fishman Dan
9th February 2008, 09:00 AM
He was shit in either direction, but he was pretty gung-ho. The scoreboard was against SFC before the cards started flowing.

goughy
9th February 2008, 09:31 AM
Spilt milk, cry over it!!

Grunt
9th February 2008, 09:59 AM
Moe I did not say the ref determined the result but the way he referees certainly favoured the Roar style of play. Sydney FC are a physical side, a referee that is very strict as Shiels is does not help them.
Can honestly say they possibly may make the final but I can't see them winning it. Both of the other 2 teams are certainly better, Sydney played very ordianary last night and definitely missed Juninio.

AndyP
9th February 2008, 10:04 AM
How will they make the final if the other two teams are better? They were top of the latter a few weeks ago, and there was nothing between 1st and 4th.

For people that don't have soccer as your first footy preference, you sure are doing a lot of whinging.

3oneday
9th February 2008, 10:15 AM
Watching the first half (when I wasn't dozing) QLD were twice as fast as the Sydney players. If that guy hadn't been taken out by the guy deservedly sent off, there was no one for 20 metres between him and the goalie, and no one coming to help either.

Sydney were trying to muscle QLD off the ball, whereas QLD were using skill. Sydney were simply outplayed but Brosque misses too many opportunities in front of goal for my liking.

But I'm no expert, that's from a lounge chair critics perspective 8)

Fishman Dan
9th February 2008, 10:29 AM
How will they make the final if the other two teams are better? They were top of the latter a few weeks ago, and there was nothing between 1st and 4th.

For people that don't have soccer as your first footy preference, you sure are doing a lot of whinging.

You're not getting any arguments here. Sydney FC never deserved it from the get-go. Brosque played like a total lady-boy and gave them nothing all night. Corica had the chance to level it and stuffed it up.

3oneday - don't sell yourself short ;)

Moe Norman
9th February 2008, 11:19 AM

Moe I did not say the ref determined the result but the way he referees certainly favoured the Roar style of play. Sydney FC are a physical side, a referee that is very strict as Shiels is does not help them.
Can honestly say they possibly may make the final but I can't see them winning it. Both of the other 2 teams are certainly better, Sydney played very ordianary last night and definitely missed Juninio.

can someone translate for me?

Grunt
9th February 2008, 11:21 AM
Sorry my mistake I meant the bad calls and there were some on both sides.

poidda
11th February 2008, 11:40 AM
Yep Sydney were just beating well and truely. They can's blame anyone. As for the "little shower" that delayed the kickoff, I haven't seen a downpour like that in a while.

kpac
11th February 2008, 12:02 PM
Game was top class - roars attackers and midfield were too much allnight. The first goal was a beauty he's done well to justify his signing i think.... Constant pressure was what won it for them.
Shame the rain scared off a bit of the crowd, because the ticket sales had it poised for a sellout....

Grunt
11th February 2008, 12:08 PM
Mariners showed their class last night and are now the team to beat. Good chance for the Roar to topple the Jets if they are still down mentally.They would have though they were cruising into the final only to go down in Extra time.

Fishman Dan
11th February 2008, 12:14 PM
Jets will smash the Roar.

AndyP
11th February 2008, 12:26 PM
Sounds like Grunt is on the Mariners bandwagon now (or is an anti-Roar bandwagon). I guess they are the next closest in location. :roll:

The Roar have two 1 all draws away against the Jets, and a 1-nil loss at home. Is this a just a one-off match for the Prelim?

3oneday
11th February 2008, 12:31 PM
I didn't watch last nights game, did Pim ????

:)

poidda
11th February 2008, 12:41 PM
Sounds like Grunt is on the Mariners bandwagon now (or is an anti-Roar bandwagon). I guess they are the next closest in location. :roll:

The Roar have two 1 all draws away against the Jets, and a 1-nil loss at home. Is this a just a one-off match for the Prelim?

Yeah just a one off match. Winner get's a start in the Asia Champions League as well.

Grunt
11th February 2008, 12:52 PM

Neither AP, Just think that they (Central Coast Mariners) are the team to beat and have thought so for some time now.

PeteyD
11th February 2008, 01:01 PM
So why are the semis 2 legs and this one a one off?

poidda
11th February 2008, 01:06 PM
So why are the semis 2 legs and this one a one off? I'm not 100% sure, but I think the play two legs in the semis so that all teams in the top 4 get a chance to host a final.

terryand
11th February 2008, 01:11 PM
I watched bits of the Roar match while chanel surfing and the thing that I noticed the most is how in ya face the player get with the ref. Holy crap, would like to see them try that with some ARL refs.

maybe they should send a few of the them off get them out of the face.

Terry.

Eag's
16th February 2008, 07:32 PM
Maybe someone should sign some of these dudes up, if they haven't been already :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3eEpqLi-DU

AndyP
17th February 2008, 06:50 PM
For those like me that don't have Fox, Newcastle lead Roar 1-0 at the 45 min mark of the 1st half.

Jarro
17th February 2008, 06:52 PM
For those like me that don't have Fox, Newcastle lead Roar 1-0 at the 45 min mark of the 1st half.

Thanks Grunt

Grunt
17th February 2008, 06:52 PM
Go the Jets.

Jarro
17th February 2008, 08:06 PM
1 all

GO ROAR !!!!!!!!

AndyP
17th February 2008, 08:07 PM
1 all

GO ROAR !!!!!!!!
Thanks Grunt.

PeteyD
17th February 2008, 08:31 PM
3-1 :(

Jarro
17th February 2008, 08:33 PM
Booooooooooooo !!

Fishman Dan
17th February 2008, 08:34 PM
Extraordinary game. I think the potential referee's for next weeks game just went down by 1.

shazza_rs
17th February 2008, 09:01 PM
Good game to watch, fast and free flowing. Couple of dodgy decisions made by the ref but that is to be expected.... least they don't go to a third referee and still **** it up :)

jaybam
17th February 2008, 09:04 PM
Yup wasnt bad to watch shazza but a shame the roar didnt get up. But thats the game you win or lose huh.

Fishman Dan
17th February 2008, 09:25 PM
The worse team was given a few lifelines. That disallowed goal by the refs assistant was a howler. Roar would have been stuffed next week without Ogenovski.

Don't worry about next week, the Jets will find extra legs against the Mariners. This is the 3rd final of the A-League, and should turn out to be the best by miles.

Moe Norman
17th February 2008, 09:46 PM
that was pretty exciting and I don't even like Soccer.

can someone explain a rule to me?

The disallowed goal...the bloke that got the ball passed to him wasn't offside, but he had 2 teammates that were clearly offside, one of which scored the goal.

Is it only offside if you get the ball from the pass or something?

I mean it got called offside, but everyone seemed like they thought it was a bad call - when there were 2 blokes miles offside, just not the bloke that got it.

Fishman Dan
17th February 2008, 09:46 PM
There's a bunker at Gordon I need your opinion on.

I'll check tomorrow for tickets.

jaybam
17th February 2008, 09:47 PM
I dont know either mate i only watched bits and pieces of it as i also am not a huge fan and there is too many other choices on fox at the moment

Moe Norman
17th February 2008, 09:54 PM
There's a bunker at Gordon I need your opinion on.

I'll check tomorrow for tickets.

anything like this pearler?

now, back to the offside conundrum?

jaybam
17th February 2008, 09:58 PM
where is that bunker at moe? Looks easy enough to miss

Moe Norman
17th February 2008, 09:58 PM
They change the off side rules all the time and I'm not totally up to speed but as I see it....
- Its should have been play on when the bloke coming from onside got the pill.
After that I can only assume the other two were ok if they had gotten themselves onside at some point..which I think they did.
but if blokes in offside positions are attracting the attention of defenders, then shouldn't it be offside whether they get it or not?

Especially if the bloke about 5m offside when the pass is made is the one that scored the goal?

Did the ref call the bloke that got the pass offside? if so, he is blind. But the other 2 blokes were miles off!

Moe Norman
17th February 2008, 09:59 PM
where is that bunker at moe? Looks easy enough to miss
hit the nail on the head mate!

yeah i can't wait to see it.
The bunker stuff you whip up time and time again is riveting stuff.

you may notice I didn't mention any bunkers at all, until someone asked me.

Moe Norman
17th February 2008, 10:04 PM
Yeah Moe..thats the reason this rule seems to change all the time...the passive off side stuff.
As far as im concerned if he's on the field and offside he's involved in the play.
Agree.

It used to be a hot topic in Hockey before offside was removed altogether.

You had to be deemed to be in the play to be offside, and as I always understood it. If you're a winger offside - there is a defender somewhere worried about you, which means you are 'in the play'

Fishman Dan
17th February 2008, 10:18 PM
but if blokes in offside positions are attracting the attention of defenders, then shouldn't it be offside whether they get it or not?

Especially if the bloke about 5m offside when the pass is made is the one that scored the goal?

Did the ref call the bloke that got the pass offside? if so, he is blind. But the other 2 blokes were miles off!

The defenders were caught out cold, defending nothing and ball-watching. They stuck up their hand in hope as a last resort, no one picked up Griffiths.

Terrible decision, as were both penalties.

Moe Norman
17th February 2008, 10:27 PM
but were they caught cold because they were worried about the 2 blokes 5 metres offside?

I'm just trying to understand the rule here. Surely you're offside whether you receive the pass or not...

Fishman Dan
17th February 2008, 10:35 PM
Only the bloke in play is under scrutiny.

The first goal scored for Australia against Qatar is a much better demonstration of this. A long ball put into the square to two Aussies about 10m apart. It was Kennedy who played the ball (header into the goal), and he was on-side. Goal stands. Interesting commentary at the time of the goal explained it.

Tonights game was clear-cut by comparison. It was clearly evident that the other 2 guys were not in the play. Of the 2 players, only 1 was really playing the ball - the guy nearest the camera (and refs assistant), and he was 20-30m from where the ball was played.

Moe Norman
17th February 2008, 10:38 PM
but one of them ended up bloody scoring the goal!

surely that means he was in the play??

Fishman Dan
17th February 2008, 11:01 PM
Only once the ball was in front of him (the ball was between himself and the goal), putting him back on-side.

It's just like the fullback in Union thumping the ball downfield, he runs upfield to put the rest of the team on-side.

If you think about it, the offside trap in soccer means that defenders rarely play the man, they play position. The Jets managed to spring the trap - the Roar players weren't playing the 2 blokes who were behind them, but more importantly they didn't pick up Griffiths run.

poidda
18th February 2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah great game, but shame about the result. We had our chances, but just didn't take them. Refereeing was consistently terrible so we know one ref that will be watching from the sideline next week. The penalties he gave were so soft, but then he missed the one when Moore was brought down in the box, but you get that.

It was a great strike to score the first goal though.

Now I've gotta find something to do in Sydney next sunday. :roll:

Fishman Dan
18th February 2008, 10:24 AM
I'm going to a 1st birthday party if you want to come along ;)

Do you already have tickets for the game?

CobraSS
24th February 2008, 07:52 PM
Well Jets win the dunny seat for 07/08. :neutral:

Grunt
24th February 2008, 07:54 PM
Good win to the Jets, but the Mariners must be filthy about that handball in the final seconds of the game. Jets seemed to be the better team for hte majority of the game.

Fishman Dan
24th February 2008, 08:10 PM
Aloisi had a point, I thought he was dragged down but he carried on like a good sort. The handball was a disgrace - how could everyone except the ref see it?

Mark Shields is A-League's answer to Harrogan. He's a high-profile poonce who should just ref the game and stay out of the way of the cameras.

Grunt
24th February 2008, 08:14 PM
Mark Shields is A-League's answer to Harrogan. He's a high-profile poonce who should just ref the game and stay out of the way of the cameras.

Have to agree with you there Dan, was like he thought the TV had his mic online. A few times he looked like he forgot that he had his whistle in his mouth while talking to players too.

AndyP
24th February 2008, 08:17 PM
Just remember who told you who would win this thing. Grunt tipped it would be a NSW side when it was down to 4 teams. Top tipping.:smt023

mike
26th February 2008, 02:39 PM
What that goalie did, under the circumstances, wasn't worth 15 months.

poidda
26th February 2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah considering Joel Griffiths got nothing for punching the linesman in the nuts earlier in the season. That linesman should have hit the deck Griffiths would have.

EDIT: For those that never saw it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swOokQZKbM8

mike
26th February 2008, 02:46 PM
Was he suspended ?

Courty
26th February 2008, 05:39 PM
What that goalie did, under the circumstances, wasn't worth 15 months.

Who did what?

Jarro
26th February 2008, 05:41 PM
He whacked the ref after getting a bad call

mike
26th February 2008, 11:03 PM
How funny is this ? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TFVuHrwgyY&feature=related)

mike
26th February 2008, 11:04 PM
The ref should've got a 15 month ban for bad acting.

poidda
27th February 2008, 09:11 AM
I miss Paulo !

For Sure. This is the first goal I ever saw at a Premiership Game. Was in London for a few days and a mate "dragged" me along to Upton park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUh-NcHi5ug

senecio
27th February 2008, 11:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY6Gdx_EZVc&feature=related

Theres his top 5.
Boy the lad could stick em away all right.
The EPL needs more nutjobs like him.

Not bad, but this guy was really something special.

Matt Le Tissier (best goals) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJDvStgfAOg)

Courty
27th February 2008, 05:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY6Gdx_EZVc&feature=related

Theres his top 5.
Boy the lad could stick em away all right.
The EPL needs more nutjobs like him.

I liked No. 2 the best. Made 3 defenders look like amateurs, then went for a run around the stadium. :lol:

poidda
16th April 2008, 09:06 AM
For those interested, tickets for the Australia v Iraq WC qualifier here in Brisbane have gone on sale at Ticketek. The game is June 1st.

AndyP
16th April 2008, 09:11 AM
Mucho dollars? I would expect so.

poidda
16th April 2008, 09:17 AM
Mucho dollars? I would expect so.

From $45 - $90 depending where you want to sit. I think kids/concession start at $25.

Courty
17th April 2008, 09:02 PM
For those interested, tickets for the Australia v Iraq WC qualifier here in Brisbane have gone on sale at Ticketek. The game is June 1st.

I'm in. Just bought tix for the game & found some $79 Jetstar fares. 8)

AndyP
17th April 2008, 09:03 PM
Are you going to start a 1st Tee thread now?

Courty
17th April 2008, 09:10 PM
Not bringing the sticks this time.

AndyP
17th April 2008, 09:11 PM
Friday pub lunch?

Courty
17th April 2008, 09:11 PM
Definitely a possibility.

AndyP
17th April 2008, 09:12 PM
Low-fat food and drinks, of course. ;)

Courty
17th April 2008, 09:29 PM
Definitely a possibility.

Whoops. Got the Brisbane trips mixed up. The May trip I will be there from Thursday night to Sunday, the June trip will be from Sunday morning to Monday afternoon.