PDA

View Full Version : My putting green

miro
15th August 2006, 04:54 PM
I thought I would post a pic of the new backyard putting green to give you an idea of what it was all about.

In total its about 10sqm being around 3sqm x 3sqm. I currently don't have a little flags that sit in the holes -they are delayed. It has a bit of slope so that you get left to right, right to left and straight puts. All in all a fantastic development in the Miro household. Total cost for full instalation was $2300 -not cheap but IMO worth it.

Jono
15th August 2006, 05:01 PM
Very nice ... 8)

McMw
15th August 2006, 06:01 PM
looks awesome - but do u really need the flags??? not as if you would putt with the flags in anyway...

Ducky
15th August 2006, 06:42 PM
If that was about 1m bigger each way it would be great. You could remove the stone steps and install a miniature bunker to practice your sand saves too!

Onewood
15th August 2006, 06:50 PM
Miro is it real turf, looks great

Toolish
15th August 2006, 06:51 PM
Who was that through Miro, seen a few companies who do this sort of thing.

gazgolf1
15th August 2006, 08:19 PM
I like that miro...forget the flags.

kwantfm
15th August 2006, 08:35 PM
Looks fantastic!

Speirsy11
15th August 2006, 09:13 PM
If that was about 1m bigger each way it would be great. You could remove the stone steps and install a miniature bunker to practice your sand saves too!

Seriously? That thing is pimp as is.......Why the extra meter? Working on sinking a bunch of 4m putts instead of 3m ones?

Miro, that is badass.......Can't wait to get one at my place when I move home (in the basement of course for 12 month use)

Ducky
15th August 2006, 09:17 PM
Why the extra meter? Working on sinking a bunch of 4m putts instead of 3m ones?
That's exactly what its for. It's like having a 200m driving range and saying "why the extra 100m?" I would say the answer is obvious enough.

Speirsy11
15th August 2006, 09:45 PM
That's exactly what its for. It's like having a 200m driving range and saying "why the extra 100m?" I would say the answer is obvious enough.

Not even close. Look at all the stats, once you get outside of 2m, nobody makes more than 50%, not even Tiger. 4m is too short to work on lags, and no different than working on 3m putts. These kinds of things are perfect for getting REALLY good at sinking the ones that count, from 3-8 feet. That extra 1m serves no purpose other than giving you something to critisize about something that someone else was proud to show everyone and deserving of praise not "If only..........".

Ducky
16th August 2006, 04:07 AM
That extra 1m serves no purpose other than giving you something to critisize about something that someone else was proud to show everyone...
Honestly, blow your nose and whipe the tears from your eyes. I stated what I thought would be great (it is personal preference), and I cannot see how that has been overly critical.

Great statistics by the way. It makes you wonder why golf courses have practice greens bigger than 2m. Clearly, no-one needs to practice their putts from such distances... not even Tiger Woods!

:roll:

miro
16th August 2006, 08:16 AM
Now now boys settle down.

A couple of answers.

1. The flags are like the little ones on putting greens with the saucer on the bottom -they simply make getting the balls out of the holes a lot easier.

2. It is astro turf down by a company called Masterstroke - Chose them as all the other makers need to put "fringe grass" down to hide the way the edges are laid. Given that I had a restricted area that would not have worked for us.

3. We went for 3x3 for two reasons -firstly that was all the space that I wanted to allocate in that area of our yard. Secondly, I am with Spiersy in that I think 8-10 footers or less is what needs practice after that distance its a wing a prayer.

rick3003
16th August 2006, 08:25 AM
All I can say is I want one. Have the prefect area too. Now to convince the wife!

Jarro
16th August 2006, 08:26 AM
any problems with installation Miro ?

looks like you don't exactly have a lot of room to move in that area.

green looks great by the way 8)

miro
16th August 2006, 08:37 AM
Jarro,

Installation was easy -I signed a cheque they did the work. In fact the area is very easy to work in as directly behind the hedge on the left side of the photo is our garage so materials handling was a simple task.

They dig a hole about a foot deep, lay sand and road base down and compact it so that it has the required contours. They put the grass over the top. Finally you sweep sand into the grass -the more sand the quicker the green.

So far -its about 6 weeks old -I have had absolutely no reason for complaints about the surface or the job they did. I generally fo outside at night for 15-30 minutes every second day and putt -the area is floodlit.

Trung
16th August 2006, 09:12 AM
Miro,

Can you play a chip & stop the ball on the green from inside the house? Now, I want to see that :mrgreen: .

I will make a task easier.... can you throw a wedge and keep it on the green?

:twisted:

miro
16th August 2006, 09:25 AM
G69

Very funny -revenge is truely sweet! :)

Trung,

Now thats an idea -off the floor boards, over the dining room table, down the steps, and onto the green without sculling it through the hedge and denting the car! Mmmm something for weekend. ;)

BrisVegas
16th August 2006, 09:34 AM
To my untrained eye it looks like a tricked up piece of junk built on a crap site.
The holes look to be a bit too monotonous for my liking and I can't really work out where to hit my tee shot on that top hole.
so, are you saying it's a "dog turd"??!!! :-D

just jokes miro! I want one of those so bad. I got room for a 9-holer in my back yard easy. Would be great fun at parties to have big $$ putting tourneys...

Jarro
16th August 2006, 09:43 AM
looks better than anything you'd find on a Watson designed course :p

Moe Norman
16th August 2006, 09:53 AM
it looks to have more contours than any of the greens at Nudgee ;)

Jarro
16th August 2006, 09:56 AM
settle Moe, no need for you to enter into this.

come back when you have less than 40 putts per round :p

Moe Norman
16th August 2006, 09:59 AM
Nudgee is the only place I have managed that in the recent past. Flat greens that are in good nick, I think I had 37 last start there!

Jarro
16th August 2006, 10:01 AM
nice puttin' mate 8)

which flat green did you think was in the best nick ?

Ducky
16th August 2006, 11:26 AM
What was the turn around?