PDA

View Full Version : Which courses in Gold Coast

TS
28th June 2019, 10:41 PM
Thinking of playing a few courses in the Gold Coast, which courses would you guys recommend?

markTHEblake
28th June 2019, 10:53 PM
Murwillumbah hands down.

Royal Pines is benign enough to enjoy even off the blacks if they are not using the PGA pin positions.

Nothing else is here is special.

Daves
29th June 2019, 07:20 AM
Murwillumbah hands down.

Royal Pines is benign enough to enjoy even off the blacks if they are not using the PGA pin positions.

Nothing else is here is special.

I enjoyed Tamborine, for what it is. And you also have the original Gold Coast Resort course in Kooralbyn. Play the Copperhead on a Thursday if you are into BDSM, otherwise any other day for a bit of fun.

AndyP
29th June 2019, 12:03 PM
Did you want to play resort style courses, TS? Hope Island gets a good wrap. Glades is always nice to play.

benno_r
29th June 2019, 12:23 PM
Lakelands is enjoyable and inoffensive. Steer clear of Sanctuary Cove palms and Royal Pines, just no fun to be had there.

Glades, Arundel, Emerald Lakes and Palm Meadows are typical resort. Decent but overpriced.

thecollective
29th June 2019, 02:00 PM
Palm Meadows for me would be the go, reasonably fun and good value for money. I hate Lakelands, it's boring as sh*t, ditto with Emerald

Glades is ok, never played Hope Island but will do next time in area as I now have reciprocal

PerryGroves
29th June 2019, 06:27 PM
I always let out an audible groan when the Gold Coast is suggested as a tour venue, what they do well is organised tours for the right price, we stay in Broadbeach and never see Cavill Ave.

The courses are ho hum, but nevertheless OK. I am happy enough to play The Glades, Palm Meadows and Lakelands. Was disappointed in Hope last time I was there (April). I wouldn't go back to Robina if you paid me.

markTHEblake
29th June 2019, 06:37 PM
The Glades is going downhill, its an under maintained public course now.
I reckon they have allowed the greens to grow in by 2 metres all the way around in some cases, thats just a lazy way to reduce maintenance costs.

TS - when are you coming? I could probably take you somewhere as long as its the weekend or the occasional Friday.

meh
12th July 2019, 10:28 AM
Southport no good?

BobsYourUncle
12th July 2019, 02:42 PM
What's Gainsborough Greens like these days? Played there a long time ago (2007-ish) and thought it was pretty good. Fair way north of the Golf Coast though...

thecollective
12th July 2019, 04:33 PM
Southport no good?

looking at the vlog on Youtube it's ponds galore, also seems pretty private

Daves
12th July 2019, 05:19 PM
Southport no good?

You probably need an invite to get on. I like it. It is a lot of course squeezed into a relatively small area, but it is always immaculate and well worth a round if you can get on. Very much a members course and the clubhouse reflects that as well.

meh
1st August 2019, 08:34 AM
You probably need an invite to get on. I like it. It is a lot of course squeezed into a relatively small area, but it is always immaculate and well worth a round if you can get on. Very much a members course and the clubhouse reflects that as well.

Awesome, thanks. Will be up there in September and we have recips so will try and get a game there at some stage.

MAZA68
1st August 2019, 06:23 PM
What's Gainsborough Greens like these days? Played there a long time ago (2007-ish) and thought it was pretty good. Fair way north of the Golf Coast though...

You'll need a current GPS, clubhouse has moved and the course layout has changed as well. Condition hasn't really changed much over the years, fairways and greens are ok, bunkers are shithouse. Surrounded by houses these days, so the wildlife has disappeared alot, but not the mossies.

Scottt
11th November 2019, 10:39 PM
I've been playing a bit around the Gold Coast and NSW Northern Rivers this year as I've been doing some work in the area from time to time.

I'd heard big wraps on Murwillumbah, but was disappointed by it. Whereas the River course at Coolangatta-Tweed GC really impressed me. Some really good greens, not too tree-clogged (unlike their West course) and quality conditioning.

The Glades, Sanctuary Cove (Palms) and Hope Island were also a general thumbs-up, keeping in mind the limitations, ie. "it's still the Gold Coast"!

Burleigh GC also a disappointment. Trees everywhere, lots of holes "spooning", narrow af and fairly repetitive.

Heading back in Jan with the family for a week at Surfers -- tempted to give Southport GC or Surfers GC a chance. I basically just f**king hate playing golf in tree farms, so open to recommendations. I've kinda avoided the most of the resort courses around Robina -- is there anything screaming out to be played? (Played Robina Woods, Lakelands & Royal Pines as a teen and don't feel the need to return to any of them).

Benje
12th November 2019, 08:27 AM
Scottt

"lots of holes 'spooning' " - that is a great description!

Benje

thecollective
12th November 2019, 11:54 AM
Palm Meadows is a bit of fun, nothing amazing but ok for a hit and giggle.

AndyP
12th November 2019, 06:55 PM
Windaroo Lakes?

MAZA68
12th November 2019, 07:06 PM
Southport and Surfers are tree farms as you put it. Windaroo Lakes is worth a hit, I'm a member there if you are keen for a hit.

markTHEblake
12th November 2019, 10:25 PM
I basically just f**king hate playing golf in tree farms, so open to recommendations. I've kinda avoided the most of the resort courses around Robina -- is there anything screaming out to be played?
basically you are screwed then.

3Puttpete
12th November 2019, 11:00 PM
Maroochy River is your best bet if you can’t get on RQ.

Scottt
13th November 2019, 07:29 AM
Thanks Maza. I’ll see how I go ringfencing some time to get a game in.

3puttpete — I’ve got recips at RQ and love it, but it probably turns a morning away from the family into a day away from the family in this case, which is a stretch.

Grumpy8
13th November 2019, 12:08 PM
Windaroo Lakes? Not many trees on snake gully

Looney
13th November 2019, 02:15 PM
is winderoo lakes on the gold coast??????????

3Puttpete
13th November 2019, 02:49 PM
is winderoo lakes on the gold coast??????????

Windaroo might be in the Gold Coast council area

Scottt
13th November 2019, 03:21 PM
Just realised where Windaroo Lakes is! Notwithstanding the opportunity to get a Yatala pie, it's probably too far.

3Puttpete
13th November 2019, 03:55 PM
Just realised where Windaroo Lakes is! Notwithstanding the opportunity to get a Yatala pie, it's probably too far.

You’ll be on the Gold Coast, don’t like the close courses and won’t drive 45 minutes to a different one?

Enjoy the beach. If it’s not too sandy.

Grumpy8
13th November 2019, 04:04 PM
is winderoo lakes on the gold coast?????????? Only if Beenleigh is

MAZA68
13th November 2019, 07:19 PM
Windaroo Lakes is not on the Gold Coast but an easy 25-30 minute drive up the highway.

BobsYourUncle
7th December 2019, 03:02 PM
Windaroo Lakes is not on the Gold Coast but an easy 25-30 minute drive up the highway. Something going on there tomorrow? Was thinking of getting out in the afternoon, but online booking showing no availability.

MAZA68
7th December 2019, 08:34 PM
Something going on there tomorrow? Was thinking of getting out in the afternoon, but online booking showing no availability.
Windaroo Open , 12.30 pm shotgun start so no chance of a social game.

3Puttpete
7th December 2019, 09:12 PM
Something going on there tomorrow? Was thinking of getting out in the afternoon, but online booking showing no availability.

The champ’s on tour?

BobsYourUncle
7th December 2019, 10:07 PM
Windaroo Open , 12.30 pm shotgun start so no chance of a social game. Fair enough. Leaning towards royal pines, twilight rates aren't bad.

BobsYourUncle
7th December 2019, 10:08 PM
The champ’s on tour? Heh. Yeah, I'm in Queensland visiting family, will be here until new year's.

Ferrins
2nd November 2022, 05:37 AM
I've been playing a bit around the Gold Coast and NSW Northern Rivers this year as I've been doing some work in the area from time to time.

I'd heard big wraps on Murwillumbah, but was disappointed by it. Whereas the River course at Coolangatta-Tweed GC really impressed me. Some really good greens, not too tree-clogged (unlike their West course) and quality conditioning.

The Glades, Sanctuary Cove (Palms) and Hope Island were also a general thumbs-up, keeping in mind the limitations, ie. "it's still the Gold Coast"!

Burleigh GC also a disappointment. Trees everywhere, lots of holes "spooning", narrow af and fairly repetitive.

Heading back in Jan with the family for a week at Surfers -- tempted to give Southport GC or Surfers GC a chance. I basically just f**king hate playing golf in tree farms, so open to recommendations. I've kinda avoided the most of the resort courses around Robina -- is there anything screaming out to be played? (Played Robina Woods, Lakelands & Royal Pines as a teen and don't feel the need to return to any of them).
The spooning tree farm formula seemed to work for the early development of Cam Smith.

petethepilot
2nd November 2022, 11:11 AM
Scottt,
have a look at google earth before heading to Surfers GC.
Lots of width and angles in play…not!

MAZA68
2nd November 2022, 12:12 PM
Southport and Surfers are both heavily 🌳 lined.

AndyP
2nd November 2022, 01:04 PM
Scottt,
have a look at google earth before heading to Surfers GC.
Lots of width and angles in play…not!
The thread is from 2019.

Ferrins
2nd November 2022, 02:04 PM
Played Surfers yesterday and had to hit under, around and over trees and that was from the fairways.

Ferrins
2nd November 2022, 02:08 PM
Maybe they could do what Virginia GC did and remove and mulch about 50 trees. Then put mulch 2 foot deep under all the trees adjacent to fairways and then of course have free drops because of all the old coots whinging.

AndyP
2nd November 2022, 02:18 PM
Played Surfers yesterday and had to hit under, around and over trees and that was from the fairways.
How wet was it? Last time I was there it was very soggy, and we've had worse weather recently.

LarryLong
18th April 2023, 06:21 PM
Firing this one up again. Catching up with my BIL and his kids, most likely on the GC this week. I'm playing with a mate in Brisbane on Friday at 8am, then hoping to shoot across to the GC to play a twilight round somewhere on Friday and then a Saturday morning round somewhere.

Friday has to be close enough to Brisbane to get there in less than 90 minutes, but not too far from Surfers. Gainsborough Greens?

For Saturday, hoping to play Murwillumbah, or something that's not too high priced resorty style, just a good value track that's nice to walk around. Coolangatta-Tweed sounds interesting if it would be possible for a couple of visitors to get on at late notice, but anything that's nice. I'm guessing Saturday morning could be a problem for a few tracks (Murwillumbah included) so that might limit my options a bit. Beaudesert is another option, I know nothing about it but I think I have recipricals. Any other options I should look at?

The dumb question - what time does it get dark up there? I might be dreaming to try to squeeze two rounds into one day, but it's the OzGolf way!

Daves
18th April 2023, 07:12 PM
Currently, Sunrise just after 6am, sets around 5.30pm.

Blakey might be able to guide you on best GC course options. Helensvale is his home course I believe. Quirky public course, but a bit of fun. Gainsborough Greens is the only course between the Logan and Coomera Rivers, other than Hope Island/Sanctuary Cove at the bottom end.

markTHEblake
18th April 2023, 09:30 PM
Larry, you would probably only get on most courses here after 11.30 on a saturday. Just ring about 9am in the morning ( not before, early field still checking in). For Cooly Tweed, ring Friday arvo, with comps on both courses, they should have room for you somewheee Cant think of anywhere you get a morning round on Sat, its always full.

Beaudesert isnt a bad option, enjoyable course. I would play it 10x before GG once. Ring on friday and try your luck.

Another time of the year I would host you somewhere but in the next 3 weeks i am already playing golf more than half the days, its madness. I just cant fit anything more in, gotta work and get laundry done somehow.

Friday you could easily play 36 holes... but traffics a bit rough. Check out Windaroo or Carbrook rather than GG.

3Puttpete
18th April 2023, 10:10 PM
Carbrook’s busy all Friday morning but there are spots from 1

LarryLong
19th April 2023, 10:46 AM
Thanks chaps!

Will see how the BIL feels about Carbrook and do a ring around for Saturday.