14th August 2006, 09:29 PM
Nice one, Tezza. ;) :lol:

Ducky
15th August 2006, 02:11 AM
Guess what?

+1

Grunt
22nd August 2006, 02:43 PM
Well I had one of those up and down days again today. 26 points.
Could have been much worse, I settled back down after a run of wipes on the back nine where I basically showed that I had never played the course before. Highlight for me was parring the 16th Hole Index 1/19.
Drove well today it was just me trying to play too safe and hit 3 wood off the tee that i got myself into trouble.
Hopefully play better tomorrow.

Grunt
23rd August 2006, 02:07 PM
Played Campbelltowm this morning and boy was it a good round, could have been much better but it was good enough
37 points
22 front nine
15 Back nine

Putted awesomely on the front nine the putts dropped, hit straight drives on all bar 1 hole (cost me too, wipe), Iron play was great. If only a couple of putts had dropped on the back nine score would have been close to 40. When I left the club we were leading the 2B with 49 points, closest to us was 46. Cant wait to play again :) Might play Liverpool or New Brighton Tomorrow, if not will play Macarthur Grange on Friday to hammer the handicap down.

cazandpaul
23rd August 2006, 02:26 PM
Ugly 31 points:oops: - too scared to add the putts up. Didn't have to buy lunch though:smile:

Flowergirl
23rd August 2006, 02:29 PM
Well done Grant. What a difference a day makes hey!

Par today for me. Finished +1. Was happy with how I hit the ball. Mistakes I made were around the greens - but mainly because of poor choice of shot rather than poor execution ( if that makes sense) Drove well and putted with a lot more confidence. My playing partner who is 79 won the day with +3. Nice to see.:lol:

In the buffer so still 16.5. Actually knowing that I had a lot of .1's up my sleeve helped me play nice and relaxed. Don't really want to reduce my handicap again for a while and no chance of going out for 9 bad games. Nice position to be in.

miro
23rd August 2006, 02:53 PM
hit straight drives on all bar 1 hole (cost me too, wipe),

Grunt

Given your handicap I struggle to see how that can be true -unless you hit it OB.

More than likely what cost you was the over aggresive attempts at recovering from the poor drive.

I only comment because I am interested (on a slow afternoon) to see if my perception that "mid/higher" handicap players generally don't accurately understand the weaknesses in their games. Afterall we all makes mistakes -your score reflects how well you recover from them.

Just passing time feel free to ignore this.

Grunt
23rd August 2006, 03:08 PM
Grunt

Given your handicap I struggle to see how that can be true -unless you hit it OB.

More than likely what cost you was the over aggresive attempts at recovering from the poor drive.

I only comment because I am interested (on a slow afternoon) to see if my perception that "mid/higher" handicap players generally don't accurately understand the weaknesses in their games. Afterall we all makes mistakes -your score reflects how well you recover from them.

Just passing time feel free to ignore this.
The bad drive was into a water hazard which in turn trying to play safe I did not hit it well enough/not enough club and left myself a long approach (200+m) which I proceeded to put into the hazard to the right of the green. Next shot was on the green but not close enough missed the putt and picked up for a wipe. So yes it was a poor drive followed by actually thinking about the next shot too much. I played really well on the front nine and I think I should not look at the score after nine I tried to play as a low b grade player on the back for a little bit and that is where it cost me the majority. Only had the one wipe for the day, it was the string of one pointers, that a few weeks ago would have been wipes, on the back nine that killed off a really good round.

miro
23rd August 2006, 03:21 PM
Cheers just wondering.

Grunt
23rd August 2006, 03:46 PM
Oh Yeah I forgot to tell you all that my 2B partner was a fellow Brain Tumour survivor :) If we win everyone in the field will give up golf as they were beaten by guys with less than a full brain ;)

AndyP
23rd August 2006, 06:39 PM
Don't really want to reduce my handicap again for a while.... Sorry, I don't get this attitude. Why not?

Grunt
23rd August 2006, 07:02 PM
Just checked Golflink .4 off Woo Hoo the downward cycle has started :)

McMw
23rd August 2006, 10:30 PM
right thread??? :lol:
had to double check - 21st

played a quick 9 - tried out a new 3wood which I just got hold of after lunch - Cobra SS 3+...
hooked it badly on the first, was tempted to offer it to anyone right there and then...
after that, just told myself to hit it like a hybrid and not like a driver - problem solved...

finished 2over for the 9, which was not too bad considering had a hazard ball, and a couple of loose shots...played the last 4 holes pretty well tho...solid pars...

Keza_G
24th August 2006, 06:35 AM
Played the trainee at work and a plus 1 marker on wednesday for $5 per 9.

Made $20

stats

score - 76 (36 Stab pts)
FIR - 13/13 (100%)
GIR - 11/18 (60%)
Putts - 31

my highlight : Driver, 5 wood into the par 5 13th 432m and 2 putt for birdie.

Flowergirl
24th August 2006, 07:11 AM
Played the trainee at work and a plus 1 marker on wednesday for $5 per 9.

Made $20

stats

score - 76 (36 Stab pts)
FIR - 13/13 (100%)
GIR - 11/18 (60%)
Putts - 31

my highlight : Driver, 5 wood into the par 5 13th 432m and 2 putt for birdie.

Nice shooting there sunshine.:smt003

BrisVegas
24th August 2006, 07:12 AM
nice shooting keza! I didn't know there were 5 x par 3's at Riverlakes.

Keza_G
24th August 2006, 07:14 AM
nice shooting keza! I didn't know there were 5 x par 3's at Riverlakes.

3rd, 8th, 14th, 16th and 17th....

Flowergirl
24th August 2006, 07:18 AM
Sorry, I don't get this attitude. Why not?

Mmmmmmmmm cos.that's why.

I'm just too up and down at the moment. I really want to develop a decent short game so I'm not duffing shots everywhere. My long game is good enough to play off a lower handicap but my short game doesn't. I KNOW - that makes no sense AT ALL. I KNOW that. But that's where my head is at the moment. I don't want to drop down to say 14 - and then go out and shoot 100. Just slow and steady. I'm nearly there. I'm going to try all these short shots that I practise on the range on the course during a game. I'm always to chicken to. The extra "breathing space" will give me that chance.
Thta's where my head is.:smt119 See you can't see the point in putting close for a two putt. I'm not that gutsy.

Grunt
24th August 2006, 01:28 PM
Well I have finally beaten my handicap @ New Brighton. :)
Shot 37 points this morning, could have been better with 2 wipes, yet again only 1 missed fairway off the tee I got out of that one. The 2 wipes were just the forget about it holes and I did so.
On the 12th I was too close to the trees on the left side of the fairway and clippped them, it went into the crap. Result - Wipe
On 17 I drew the ball off the tee into a bunker pin high, alas the bunkers were almost full of water and i had to drop it in the bunker it plugged in the slushy sand. Result - Wipe
On the whole it was a great day, I have never hit the ball better.

ps. the handicap slashing is coming soon.

dc68
24th August 2006, 02:59 PM
Well done mate keep it up.

Grunt
24th August 2006, 05:05 PM
Must have been an easy day there as I only lost .4 and the CCR was 72 instead of the ACR of 73

McMw
24th August 2006, 05:12 PM
On 17 I drew the ball off the tee into a bunker pin high, alas the bunkers were almost full of water and i had to drop it in the bunker it plugged in the slushy sand. Result - Wipe

I've often wondered why anyone would take a drop back into the bunker...esp if they know it's gonna plug...must be the idea of a "free-drop"...

I always felt/believe that if there is no benefit in taking that free-drop, play it as a hazard and drop outside (1stroke) and have a reasonable chance to get to the green from there...

of coz if u're as silly as me (and I've done it a few time) - u can always play as it lies!!! :lol:

Grunt
24th August 2006, 05:24 PM
Yeah Mau,
It would have been far more sensible to take the penalty drop. We learn form these mistakes.

Grunt
24th August 2006, 05:28 PM
Played Campbelltowm this morning and boy was it a good round, could have been much better but it was good enough
37 points
22 front nine
15 Back nine

Putted awesomely on the front nine the putts dropped, hit straight drives on all bar 1 hole (cost me too, wipe), Iron play was great. If only a couple of putts had dropped on the back nine score would have been close to 40. When I left the club we were leading the 2B with 49 points, closest to us was 46. Cant wait to play again :) Might play Liverpool or New Brighton Tomorrow, if not will play Macarthur Grange on Friday to hammer the handicap down.

WOO HOO
Just checked the results for Campbelltown yesterday, we won the 2B :lol:. Will have to ring the club tomorrow to see what the prize is. The member I was playing with mentioned $50 Voucher. This is my first away win, ok it was part of a team but a win is a win.\\:D/

jimandr
24th August 2006, 09:11 PM
I've often wondered why anyone would take a drop back into the bunker...esp if they know it's gonna plug...must be the idea of a "free-drop"...

I always felt/believe that if there is no benefit in taking that free-drop, play it as a hazard and drop outside (1stroke) and have a reasonable chance to get to the green from there...

of coz if u're as silly as me (and I've done it a few time) - u can always play as it lies!!! :lol:

I've never taken a penalty in thise circumstances and probably never would. My ego is sufficient to convince me I could always get it out and not into a worse position than the drop. I thought you could only remove the ball from a bunker if it was completely full of water.

Having never done this, and being too lazy to look up the rule book, what is the rule on where to drop. Is it point of entry, or nearest point from where the ball has come to rest?

Under what circumstances can you declare a bunker a hazard and pick the ball up? Surely you would do so every time in the Road Bunker at St Andrews if you were allowed to.

Grunt
25th August 2006, 03:20 PM
Well the run had to end and in all honesty I try to hard to keep improving the way I would like too. Today I shot 26 points, it was the opposite of the past few days when things could go wrong they did.
I hit one of those wire loop things on approach to the first green it would have been close to the pin and 2 putts for par but alas it bounced off the wire loop thing and into the bunker. Once in the bunker it rolled into a unraked foot print and next thing I knew I was playing 4 from the back of the green.
On the 4th hole, due to the lack of golf rules by members the committee decided to remove the grey areas and make the course play as you lie all the way round with no relief from the bare patches that the current weather has caused. I was on gravel and decided that I was not going to damage my clubs for a good score. I took a drop and it rolled into a spot against a tree root.
It was just one of those days, hit some really good shots though. Got to get used to the fact now I miss left and not right! Oh well back to work for the golf week is over and the Work week starts tomorrow.
Hope the rest of you have a good weekend of Golf.

McMw
25th August 2006, 09:04 PM
sheesh - 4 bogeys in the 9 yesterday...same story today...wat's going on???

early start tomorrow :( 730am for the 1st club champ...
will prob play 9 in the arvo to prepare for the sunday comp...

McMw
26th August 2006, 12:47 PM
6/5 win this morning...but it was ugly..
really not happy with either the way I'm hitting the ball or finishing off...

he gifted me the first 2 holes, lost the 5th to him, gifted him the 9th...
4 straight pars from 10 to 13 did the job...

going out for 9 again later to sort this $h!t out... :rolleyes:

Courty
26th August 2006, 04:05 PM
I could have shot anything today. I finished with 75 gross for 40 pts, but I left so much out there. My swing changes paid off, I was nailing driver loooong and much straighter than usual. The biggest letdown was my approach shots. I missed so many greens, but nearly every time I missed, I was sitting no more than a metre off the putting surface. My putting stats are inflated because of this. Even so, I should have had less putts too. I burned the lip of the hole many many times and should have had about 4 or 5 birdies, instead of the one I finished with. :evil:

Stats:

Effective tee-shots: 9/14
GIR: 8/18 :oops:
Putts: 26 :twisted:
Gross/ Nett: 75/68 (40pts)

PS. Thanks to PeteyD for the new shaft in my driver. It worked an absolute treat. :mrgreen:

oz
27th August 2006, 07:17 AM
Played like crap in a modified stableford yesterday. I am taking September off. I am tired of playing like a horses a$$.

BrisWesty
27th August 2006, 07:27 AM
Wasn't sure how I'd go yesterday, had a sore neck and back Thursday and Friday.
Putted really poorly by my standards - 36 putts with only 3 one putts, but 3 three putts. Felt like I missed about 8 really gettable putts for the day. Had a quadruple bogey on one hole after the ball ended up in a dog pawprint in a greenside bunker.
Despite all that, hit 5 fairways, 7 greens in reg, and only blew out to a net 74, so given a better touch around the greens, it could have been a really great round.

Ducky
27th August 2006, 05:23 PM
Well, what a day. I ended up with 38 points (gross of 82). I had 44 [+8] on the front nine, which included two birdies (yes, the other holes were that bad), and 38 [+3] on the back nine, which also included two birdies.

My putting was terrible. I had six 3-putts and missed various 5ft par putts on numerous occasions. I had 38 putts in total, and clearly, I need to sort this out.

Could have been better, could have been worse. However, I did manage to lose another stroke off my handicap due to the higher CCR.

Courty
27th August 2006, 05:43 PM
Dropped in to the club this afternoon to catch up with a mate. Went inside and did a quick check of the scores from yesterday. I discovered, to my surprise, that I won A-Grade by 1 point. I picked a fantastic weekend to do it as well. This weekend was a huge sonsorship event, so there were prices for 1st - 5th in each grade. Apparently I have won a sports bag, a golf travel bag, a carton of Crownies, and a 750ml bottle of Rum/ Bourbon. :shock:

Ducky
27th August 2006, 05:56 PM
Damn, all we get is a $50 voucher if we win.

Grunt
27th August 2006, 06:20 PM
Good Win Courty

AndyP
27th August 2006, 06:31 PM
Nice work, Courty. Who's getting the beers?

Flowergirl
27th August 2006, 06:38 PM
WEll played Courty!!!

Played at The Dunes in our big Ozgolf Day. :mrgreen: Great to catch up with the guys. Great people.

I played good. Very happy. Duffed a couple of shots but on the whole played good golf. A few too many double bogeys - but no triples - and quite a few pars. :p 44 on the front on 45 on the back. Nett 72 - nothing to complain about there. REally enjoyed my game and didn't focus too much on the result. Just tried to play one shot at a time and if I duffed it - well it wasn't the end of the world. Hit the ball well off the tee and even putted ok.

BrisVegas
27th August 2006, 07:08 PM
Apparently I have won a sports bag, a golf travel bag, a carton of Crownies, and a 750ml bottle of Rum/ Bourbon. :shock:

Stick some wedges of lime in those crownies and you'll swear you were in Mexico! :smt002

Well played mate. :)

PeteyD
27th August 2006, 07:08 PM
Nice work Courty. Maybe I should get that shaft back ;) Glad it is working for you!

jimandr
27th August 2006, 07:33 PM
Usually I am happy to shoot 36 points, as I did today, but I'm not. It was a mixture of miracle recoveries, butchered opportunities from easy positions, and the odd great shot. No consistency.

Fairways = 10 of 14, drove it very well
Greens in Reg= 7 of 18
Putts = 31, 2 birdies, 1 three-putt
Up & Down = 4 of 10
Sand Saves = 0 of 1.

Courty
27th August 2006, 08:42 PM
Nice work Courty. Maybe I should get that shaft back ;) Glad it is working for you!

You can have it for $80 ;)

Nice work, Courty. Who's getting the beers?

Keep an eye on the pro shop listings. I might give them up to the highest bidder. :twisted:

Seriously though, I always keep some beer in the fridge for my 2 brothers-in-law. I need a replacement as they drank all the Pure Blondes at the recent poker night. :roll:

McMw
27th August 2006, 09:15 PM
38 putts ducky??? was it with the cameron???

shot 77 this arvo, came in 3rd gross win - lost to a 73 and a 74...
just couldn't get anything going today, very frustrating afternoon overall...

Ducky
27th August 2006, 09:33 PM
It was with the Scotty Cameron, yup.

:smt100

shazza_rs
28th August 2006, 09:00 AM
1st Round of Club Champs - Riverlakes - 26/8/06
----------------------------------------------
Had a 86/69

CCR for the day was 67.... thats 5 under par rating of 72...ARGHHHHHH!

Admittedly the course wasn't set up very hard, ladies tees were way more forward than usual. Pins were in gettable positions.

Oh well there is always next weekend.

AndyP
28th August 2006, 09:05 AM
CCR for the day was 67.... thats 5 under par rating of 72...ARGHHHHHH!That's crazy.

Where are you ranked for the nett and gross?

peter_rs
28th August 2006, 09:41 AM
shazza is 5th in gross A grade, a load behind in net.