PDA

View Full Version : Flowergirl off to China!!

Flowergirl
14th August 2006, 12:40 PM
Oh my God!!! I've just booked a trip for John and I to China. It's a 7 day tour - hard for us to get more time off work - and we leave 30th of this month!! I love last minute decisions. We saw a cheap deal and thought - what the heck!!
Any advise or ideas guys.
I'm so excited. China!!!!!!!!!

BrisVegas
14th August 2006, 12:49 PM
Can you please find if they really did build the Great Wall to keep out the rabbits.

TS
14th August 2006, 01:21 PM
FG. Which part of China are you travelling to?

Jarro
14th August 2006, 01:23 PM
don't buy any fake crubs over there ;)

McMw
14th August 2006, 01:24 PM
watch out for traffic and crossing the roads - it was a shocker when I was there earlier this year...

staying on the sidewalk is not to be taken for granted too...lots of scooters and electric bikes...

Fishman Dan
14th August 2006, 01:32 PM
Have an awesome time FG. One thing about travelling to China (and Asia in general) is that the culture is so damn different! It's a real eye-opener - especially when you're walking around houses etc that are centuries... no, thousands of years older than (westernised) Australia!!

I'm off to all sorts in a couple of weeks. We went "Guide" shopping the other day for Western Europe - there are so many Lonely Planet-type guides! It's only now beginning to sink in!!! Woohoo!!

The only thing i'm not looking forward to is flying United to San Fran...

Courty
14th August 2006, 01:59 PM
Sounds awesome FG. I've been to Indonesia & Hong Kong (airport :roll:)Dan is right. The culture is so different there. Mind you, the same goes for Europe too.

Have an awesome time FG. One thing about travelling to China (and Asia in general) is that the culture is so damn different! It's a real eye-opener - especially when you're walking around houses etc that are centuries... no, thousands of years older than (westernised) Australia!!

I'm off to all sorts in a couple of weeks. We went "Guide" shopping the other day for Western Europe - there are so many Lonely Planet-type guides! It's only now beginning to sink in!!! Woohoo!!

The only thing i'm not looking forward to is flying United to San Fran...

So where's the thread detailing your adventure?

Flowergirl
14th August 2006, 03:59 PM
FG. Which part of China are you travelling to?

Fly into Shanghai. Then to Hangzhou, Wuxi, Suzhou then back to Shanghai.

Now I don't know ANYTHING about where we are going. Until yesterday we hadn't ever thought about a holiday there. Anyone know what currency to use there? Credit card or travellers cheques? Or local currency when we get there?

So exicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flowergirl
14th August 2006, 04:03 PM
Just to let you know how cheap it is
Return flights from Sydney ( we'll have to Jetstar it to Sydney)
6 nights accomodation. Most meals. Tours and transfers, sightseeing and guides. Includes taxes and visa - $2518.00 for BOTH of us!!!!

Fishman Dan
14th August 2006, 04:11 PM
FG - generally we took traverrers cheques. The conversion for $US was about 8:1 US:RMB (rimibi?). It's the safest way to travel just in case something goes wrong.

Be careful though. We were staying at the Radisson (5 Star), and we signed one of the cheques in the wrong place. The hotel wouldn't accept it, and there is no American Express in town. I went to the business centre and tried to get onto the AMEX website - no can do! Blocked! Of course back home we took it to AMEX and got our money back without a problem.

The markets are unreal. If you get to go to any - BE RUTHLESS! They will crack the $hits with you, but don't think for a second they aren't making money. You can basically bargain them down from astronomic prices to zilch. For example, silk scarves are great. Take 10 of them to the counter - you could end up paying 50 RMB for 2, 5, 10... and we're not talking each, total price. The more you pick up, the more you save.

But the key for the markets are these 2 words - POO YOW! If you're being badgered endlessly (and you will be), don't break stride, turn to them and fire this at them forcefully. It's like garlic to vampires - they're gone in a flash. Our guides taught us this - it's worthwhile stringing them on for 50 metres before using it to see how brilliant it works!

TS
14th August 2006, 04:12 PM
FG. There should be plenty of Currus ATM in Shanghai, which will let you withdraw RMB (China's currency). Ratio is around 5.7 RMB to $A1. Try not use your Credit Card in the smaller shop, use RMB instead, and you will be able to bargin more. The normal ratio is don't paid anymore than 1/3 what they ask for.

The best for you would be to take me along as your body guard, and I promise I won't eat much.

McMw
14th August 2006, 04:26 PM
ya...don't be afraid to haggle and walk away - they'll come after you with an even better price...

my uncle managed to get something that was 3000RMB to 300RMB...

are you going on a tour package??? if u r, trust me, the guide/driver will bring you to their souvenior shop for a little shopping to be done...they get a cut of whatever sales they can bring in!!!

to be honest, not sure how being "white" will affect bargaining power, but being able to speak (not that I can) mandarin is a huge bonus...prob just buy what you really fancy, and don't go overboard?!?!?

I've got some pics from my trip to china, will post some up later...esp my granddad's house (which unbelievable is still standing and being occupied!!!)

Flowergirl
14th August 2006, 04:58 PM
Think I'd like a translation of Poo Yow before I start yelling it at people when I'm a stranger in their country.:shock: :-D Was does it mean?

Fishman Dan
14th August 2006, 05:01 PM
FG - it could mean "F*#k off moron, i'm an ex-pat Aussie and i won't take your $hit", but whatever it means it seemed to work a treat! :D

TS
14th August 2006, 05:37 PM
My interpretation of Poo Yow would be "I am a tight-arse", so don't waste your time trying to sell me anything.

McMw
14th August 2006, 05:42 PM
Poo Yow (Bu Yao is a better way to phrase it) - means "don wan"...

McMw
14th August 2006, 05:45 PM
don't buy any fake crubs over there ;)

true - but you gotta buy the golf bags!!! they're really great quality!!! :shock:
can be as cheap as 75 singapore dollars...and if you don't know (and not many can), you'll be hard pressed to spot the difference...

Only when you check the lining of the pockets... :smt002

Fishman Dan
14th August 2006, 06:17 PM
Poo Yow (Bu Yao is a better way to phrase it) - means "don wan"...

We found out it was possibly the meaning with the fact you said it in the first place. There's a belief that if you know this phrase, you're likely to be a little more familiar with the market culture and there's no point wasting time barking in your ear.

Ducky
14th August 2006, 07:46 PM
Just don't eat the chicken... or the beef... or any meat. Stick to vegetables.

TS
14th August 2006, 07:49 PM
Just don't eat the chicken... or the beef... or any meat. Stick to vegetables.

Just have ducks.

TS
14th August 2006, 07:50 PM
Don't eat any fresh water fish, most of them have worms. Once they get into your liver, you can't get rid of them.

Ducky
14th August 2006, 07:57 PM
I knew there was a reason I didn't eat seafood.

:|

markTHEblake
14th August 2006, 08:30 PM
Flowergirl, i have got a better phrase for you if the locals are hassling you - just say "Tee You Nah Sing" - guaranteed .

Also you can contact the bank for your credit card, they will be able to supply you with a booklet that has info on where it can be used{: typically the names and addresses of Banks, and also a comment on how widely it is accepted, and anything special.
Most branches wont have a copy, so best to ring the credit card dept directly.

Or these days its probably easier to go to the Visa or Mastercard website, i am sure they will have the same info online now.

Flowergirl
14th August 2006, 08:33 PM
Don't eat any fresh water fish, most of them have worms. Once they get into your liver, you can't get rid of them.

Really???

AndyP
14th August 2006, 08:55 PM
Have fun, FG. I have no helpful info for you, as I have never been overseas.

Fishman Dan
14th August 2006, 09:15 PM
Ask for no ice in your drinks.

TS
14th August 2006, 09:51 PM
Don't buy bottle water from little old lady in the street, they pick up bottle from the bin and fill them from the tap. Make sure any bottle drinks are seal before drinking them.

We are not trying to scare you. It will be a great trip and lots of fun. Just a few of things that that you need to watch out for.

McMw
14th August 2006, 10:31 PM
Don't buy bottle water from little old lady in the street, they pick up bottle from the bin and fill them from the tap. Make sure any bottle drinks are seal before drinking them.

just don buy drinks or snacks from the road side vendors....get them from the supermarket... :D

hmmm...can't upload any pics (files too big)...tat sux... :???:

Grunt
14th August 2006, 11:06 PM
Hope you have a great trip and Iwill be full of questions as China is another place i want to tick off the list of have travelled to places.

Trung
18th August 2006, 08:49 AM
Have a good trip FG.... :)

burger
18th August 2006, 10:54 AM
FG, Have a great trip!

I went to China app 15 years ago and was blown away!
Had a great time and the culture REALLY is so different. The history of the place is astounding if you are into that.
The tips the guys have been giving are not just specific to China but general to most SE Asian countries, we got the same helpful tips when we went to Vietnam for our honeymoon.

Have a great time!

stu.

Jarro
18th August 2006, 12:14 PM

are these the same worms that migrate down to your bum and make you drag your arse along the ground like a dog ?

PeteyD
18th August 2006, 01:20 PM
Nah those are ring worms. They are talking about liver flukes.

Keza_G
19th August 2006, 08:11 AM
Flowergirl,

Hope you two have a great time in China and bring back lots of pics and some great memories....

Keza

Grunt
19th August 2006, 08:20 AM
China is definitely on my list of must travel to places, once Tayla is a little older we are going to hit the international travel thing once again.
Hope you have a great time FG.

Flowergirl
19th August 2006, 08:50 AM
Ok - I'm not a high maintanance type chick - but there is one thing I will not travel without and that's my hairdryer. Anyone have any idea on what sort of adapter I need.
Gee - thank god my other vital appliance is battery operated.:smt002

Grunt
19th August 2006, 08:58 AM
Not sure about China's elec system, but I will find out tonight at work if you like FG. With all us guys with staff travel someone will have all the info on what you need in mainland China. If i remember correctly HK was the same as the US.

terryand
19th August 2006, 09:03 AM
Ok - I'm not a high maintanance type chick - but there is one thing I will not travel without and that's my hairdryer. Anyone have any idea on what sort of adapter I need.

I didn't know John was the Energizer man,so can i ask where the batteries go :shock:

Terry.

Grunt
19th August 2006, 09:04 AM
Also FG, most hotels around the world nowadays have a hairdryer hardwired in the bathroom of the rooms.

TS
19th August 2006, 06:35 PM

All the hotel I stayed at in China 6 months ago all have hair dryer.

markTHEblake
19th August 2006, 07:00 PM
TS Why the heck would you have noticed?

TS
19th August 2006, 07:02 PM
TS Why the heck would you have noticed?

I had a full head of hair when I went to China.

markTHEblake
21st August 2006, 10:45 AM
Flowergirl, Learn Chinese in 5 minutes. If you read em out aloud you will pick it up in no time.

1) That's not right..... Sum Ting Wong

2) Are you harboring a fugitive......................Hu Yu Hai Ding

3) See me ASAP....................Kum Hia

4) Stupid Man.......................Dum ***

5) Small Horse...............Tai Ni Po Ni

6) Did you go to the beach...................Wai Yu So Tan

7) I bumped the coffee table................. Ai Bang Mai Fa Kin Ni

8) I think you need a face lift. Chin Tu Fat

9) It's very dark in here...Wai So Dim

10) I Thought you were on a diet................. Wai Yu Mun Ching

11) This is a tow away zone.....................No Pah King

12) Our meeting is scheduled for next week.................Wai Yu Kum Nao

13) Staying out of sight...................Lei Ying Lo

14) He's cleaning his automobile .................Wa Shing Ka

15) Your body odor is offensive....................Yu Stin Ki Pu

16) Great....................Fa Kin Su Pah

Flowergirl
21st August 2006, 04:00 PM
Oh that is just so funny. Love it. I really thought you were serious. What a cracker!!!!!!!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

markTHEblake
21st August 2006, 05:56 PM
Stupid swear filter.

4) Stupid Man.......................Dum Phuk

AndyP
21st August 2006, 07:12 PM
Why should the swear filter discriminate against bad spellers?

Fishman Dan
21st August 2006, 08:42 PM
Oh that is just so funny. Love it. I really thought you were serious. What a cracker!!!!!!!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Then you've got no chance in the markets when they carry on about you taking food out of their mouths ;) :lol:

Flowergirl
28th August 2006, 05:38 PM
One more sleep. Yea!!!!!!!!

AndyP
28th August 2006, 06:04 PM
Is that all? You sure are spontaneous. Have a good trip.

Ducky
28th August 2006, 06:24 PM
Have fun!

Some guys were talking about a golfing trip to China the other day, and apparently the price is quite good. Sounds quite interesting.

shazza_rs
28th August 2006, 10:21 PM
Well hope you and dad have a great trip.

Remember to bring me back a pressie :mrgreen:

Flowergirl
7th September 2006, 11:03 AM
Well Johnny boy and I are back after our big trip. What an experience it was. Shanghai is just so big and modern - makes Sydney and Melbourne look like little country towns!!:shock: Over 19 million people in one city - amazing!!

There were 33 people on our tour - some great people - some weirdos ( no not me) and although we were shown a sanitised version of China - we saw some amazing sights. Tea plantations, silk factory, 88 metre high buddah and just all the day to day living from the windows of the bus. We just loved it - except for some of the food. If I can't chew it - I aint swallowing it!!!:shock:

Had no trouble with the locals - they don't bother you and I didn't bother them. Very few hassles with hawkers - not aggressive like in Bali. Not great shopping - went with the intention of spending up big but only spent less than half of what I budgeted. No golf stuff:evil:

I would go back again no problems and would recomend the trip to anyone. Great holiday.

Only problem was some of the food on tour. Couldn't eat it . Ended up so hungry that we'd pig out on junk food and I put on 2 kilos.:confused: Back on the diet today and I'll get that off in no time.:-D

Did you miss me.

TS
7th September 2006, 11:11 AM
FG. Aren't you into chicken feet and pig's guts.

Flowergirl
7th September 2006, 11:28 AM
FG. Aren't you into chicken feet and pig's guts.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amanda
7th September 2006, 11:51 AM
FG - what was wrong with the food?

Jarro
7th September 2006, 03:50 PM
Glad to hear you and John had a great trip FG :)

Welcome home.

McMw
7th September 2006, 04:42 PM
FG - sounds like you had a great time...but they should have brought out of town and experience the "ghettos"... :D

amanda - even I had trouble with the food they had in China when I was there...who the heck wants to eat solid pig's blood for breakfast???

Jarro
7th September 2006, 04:50 PM
.....who the heck wants to eat solid pig's blood for breakfast???

:shock: :smt078

Grunt
7th September 2006, 04:58 PM
Sounds like a great trip was had by all. China is yet another of the places that Grant wants to go to.

markTHEblake
7th September 2006, 09:13 PM
the only thing worse than the chicken feet is the live monkey brains.

TS
7th September 2006, 09:51 PM
the only thing worse than the chicken feet is the live monkey brains.

I have no problem eating chicken feet, but I have to be straving for a week before I would think about live monkey brain

Flowergirl
8th September 2006, 08:51 PM
The main problem with the food was the bones, gristle and fat - and the unknown:shock:

McMw
8th September 2006, 09:41 PM
check out my gallery then...
I've loaded pics from my trip to China...not all...but some... :D

http://ozgolf.net/gallery/v/mcmw/

amanda
9th September 2006, 04:02 PM
The main problem with the food was the bones, gristle and fat - and the unknown:shock:

FG - when brad & I first started dating, he had problems with the bones in food - in chicken, fish and pork especially. I think it's a cultural thing - his parents had never had chicken with bones included - only ever purchased fillets.

What did they serve up for breakfast? The usual steamed buns and congee (rice porridge)?

Flowergirl
10th September 2006, 06:25 PM
FG - when brad & I first started dating, he had problems with the bones in food - in chicken, fish and pork especially. I think it's a cultural thing - his parents had never had chicken with bones included - only ever purchased fillets.

What did they serve up for breakfast? The usual steamed buns and congee (rice porridge)?

Dumpling things. Umm - some soupey thing.Noodles and rice. Didn't see any porridge.There were just a lot of things I had no idea. I did try as much as I could - promise. But I mainly stuck with eggs and toast. I never thought I was a fussy eater - but I must be.

amanda
11th September 2006, 08:25 AM
Sounds interesting! I haven't travelled a lot in the northern and north-eastern part of china - where I have a feeling the food is very different from what they eat down south (which is where my family is from)

Do you have any pics you could show us?