PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy old mans clubs?

gazgolf1
13th August 2006, 10:28 AM
Well??
I'm taking a few weeks off from playing (some would say I've been doing that for the past few months) and with my 40th birthday coming up in October my best scores could be behind me.
My main problem is hitting solid iron shots....I get sick of hitting a nice drive down the middle and then knifing my approach shot along the ground and into a bunker.I'll probably get a lesson next month but last time I did that I played well for a while and then it all went to shit again.Now I must admit my desire to practice is just about non existent at the moment and I can't see that changing so my question is do I ?

1. Forget about trying to shoot a good score once a week at Nudgee and
just have fun,while extracting the urine from my playing partners and drinking beer.

2. Buy some old mans Callaway shovels with regular flex graphite shafts and massive amounts of offset that feel the same wherever the ball hits the face.

3. Rededicate my self to practice and lessons and all that crap and try to shave some shots off my handicap.

4. Have a kid and become a lawnoligist like jarro;),buy some tools and actually do some stuff around the house.

I'm leaning towards the shovels and beer.:smt030

Jarro
13th August 2006, 10:30 AM
Gaz, go back to your older irons (Xtours, X16's) you used to hit them schweeeet 8)

gazgolf1
13th August 2006, 10:33 AM
Gaz, go back to your older irons (Xtours, X16's) you used to hit them schweeeet 8)

No i didnt. :) .... did I?

What about a set of these babies?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CALLAWAY-GOLF-2004-BIG-BERTHA-4-10-W-IRONS-STEEL_W0QQitemZ120019054105QQihZ002QQcategoryZ1152 80QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AndyP
13th August 2006, 10:34 AM
I've commited myself to number one, Gaz, and it's great. Has probably been better for my game too.
Number two can't hurt either, but it's not a necessity.

Jarro
13th August 2006, 10:34 AM
mate, you did.

I think that's all you need to do. Nothing against those sexy-looking Nike blades you have, but i haven't seen you hit them great for a while .... nothing like you used to hit the X-16's like 8) The old G2 was pretty handy at finding fairways as well ... but then i suppose that's not your real problem area is it ;)

Fishman Dan
13th August 2006, 10:40 AM
Get Ping's. ISI's or Eye 2+'s. If you want to consider classic clubs, get them in BeCu ;)

Jarro
13th August 2006, 10:52 AM
go back to the X-tours mate ;)

gazgolf1
13th August 2006, 10:54 AM
Get Ping's. ISI's or Eye 2+'s. If you want to consider classic clubs, get them in BeCu ;)

Fishy I bought a set of Eye2's from the local cash converters a couple of years ago and stuck em on Ebay straight away....nice sticks but soooo much offset :o
I suppose a set of Shovellaways will have bigtime offset too.#-o

nudgee
13th August 2006, 11:34 AM
Gaz,

Mate as I have said before the Nike Blades are the sweetest looking blades around (IMO) but they have the smallest sweet spot!!

You dont have to go from one extreme to another and get the big bertha shovels- mate some X 16/x18s will do the trick and they are going cheap on ebay at the moment - I would also get a set with rifle shafts in them in either 5.0 or 5.5 - that way they will be nice and soft and will give you a bit more ball flight.

J

Moe Norman
13th August 2006, 12:24 PM
Hogan Apex Edge or Plus

BrisVegas
13th August 2006, 12:24 PM
Gaz, only you can decide what sort of irons you're comfortable with. I haven't played a regular Saturday game for years and my iron play (and everything else) has suffered accordingly. I've been trying lately just to hit all my irons with 3/4 swings and make sure I hit punch shots. Less scope for big misses that way and I haven't really lost any distance with this approach. Give it a try!

Oh and go with options 1 & 4.

3oneday
13th August 2006, 02:07 PM
Get a set of Toppies ;), best clubs you'll use... ;)

BrisWesty
13th August 2006, 02:14 PM
Why, has 69 got his for sale? :-P

gazgolf1
13th August 2006, 04:08 PM
I've been trying lately just to hit all my irons with 3/4 swings and make sure I hit punch shots.

Thats about where I'm at now Bris. :oops:

3oneday
13th August 2006, 05:38 PM
Why, has 69 got his for sale? :-PI'll take that as an insult;).... 69'er has insufficient skill for Topflites :p

:lol:

AndyP
13th August 2006, 08:18 PM
So it's an expectation thing? Once you hit a certain handicap you get frustrated playing to anything less.
At my cap, I can afford to go with 1, but with single figures it might be a bit harder.

goughy
13th August 2006, 08:42 PM
Depends on which old man you buy them from and whether his clubs were old cobra bafflers or brand new x18's [-o<

reg320
13th August 2006, 09:19 PM
Mate option one is the go- It has worked for me, I used to get too!@#$%^ off trying to play well every sat in the members comp. I think having Madison( my Bub) has been a twofold blessing. Now that i don't play every week, despite losing my short game to a degree, my overall game is just as good as before and more enjoyable as the self imposed pressure is gone.

Moe Norman
13th August 2006, 09:36 PM
its regular play thats the problem for most i reckon.

I've flucuated between 3 and my current 7 mark for 10 years now. The iron play has been solid for 9.5 of those years, my tee game always dodgy but workmanlike and my short game has always let me down.

The less I play the worse the short game gets. When you play regularly and your short game is below average, its not going to be much good when you become a twice a month golfer with no practice on the side.